Bne Was Here

TonySoprano

for those who have not noticed, its plastered all over sukhumwit road, in a manner similar to that of territorial markings.

I hadn't noticed but I will look out for it now, cheers for the heads up :o

โรงพยาบาลศรีธัญญา I have images of this Thai sentence when i read one of Tony's postings - anyone got any ideas or can translate???? :D

Graffiti phenomenon - “BNE” in Bangkok and all around the world

2009 February 23

The letters “BNE” are found on stickers all over Bangkok. In my neighborhood there are hundreds of these stickers. Sometimes the letters are accompanied by Japanese characters.

Some have speculated that the letters are part of a worldwide graffiti movement, for the stickers have been seen all over the world. During the fall of 2006, San Francisco was plagued by the same stickers. And so have Tokyo and New York City. There are a number of explanations for BNE including its use as the three letter airline designation for Brisbane, Australia.

There’s been some great reporting on this phenomenon. The letters “BNE” are found on stickers all over Bangkok. In my neighborhood there are hundreds of these stickers. Sometimes the letters are accompanied by Japanese characters.

I'm not the author this is from an Internet blog: Leo Laksi’s Bangkok And Back

post-34873-1238898441_thumb.jpg

Edited by grantbkk

I scoffed at this post this morning thinking TS was still drunk..

But this afternoon while going around Pinklao it was there spray painted on some support pillars for the overhead road BNE also with a crown on top..

photos soon - now i know where it is...

my crap effort

Bangkoks Naughty Elephants

its what they do when not selling bananas - spray graffiti to highlight there problems

• 1 year later...

"A $2500 reward is offered for the person behind the “BNE” stickers.

September 23rd, 2006

In San Francisco, a Plague of Stickers Opens a New Front in the Graffiti War" WhatYouWrite.com

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="

src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

Almost impossible to get them off….they deface our neighborhood for years. If I believed in voodoo, I’d put a curse of these bastards.

Starting out in the 1990s, BNE originally utilized a more "conventiontal" graffiti style with multiple colors, and flashy letters. A few years after BNE started doing graffiti, he decided to simplify his style and utilize more stickers. In an interview with Corey Kilgannon of the New York Times BNE stated, "I can't do 500 tags in a day, I can do 500 stickers."[1] Thus, the primary way BNE leaves his mark is via stickers with the letters "BNE". However, he has also spray painted larger murals with the same letters. He reportedly posts over 10,000 stickers per month. While BNE's identity is publicly unknown, he was commissioned to paint a mural near 11th Avenue and 44th Street for an exhibit sponsored by Mother, a Manhattan advertising agency.[1] BNE stands for the artists real name, Benet.

From wikipedia

And a more interesting link http://www.nytimes.com/2009/12/09/nyregion/09bne.html

Edited by JCCR6