I Think I Saw A Thai Ghost.

Geekfreaklover

Right,

I know I will get the piss ripped out of me for this one, but I thought I would share this with you guys at TV and see what you make of it.

My girlfriend and myself recently moved into a old townhouse in Bangkok. On the third or fourth night we were sitting having something to eat and drink near the front door, which was open. The main gate outside the front driveway was locked with a padlock with high perimeter fencing. The time was about midnight.

At the same time my girlfriend and myself saw what appeared to be a man about to enter the house. She politely asked him what he wanted and I stood up to meet him at the doorway. I thought it was a pizza delivery boy who got the wrong address as he was wearing one of those flat caps.

Once I was within a metre or two he had disappeared. Now, thinking it was a opportunist house breaker I ran outside and turned on all the outside lights, but there was no one there and it would have been impossible for him to move and jump over the six foot metal fencing, and the gate was locked.

Strange. I put it down to the three Leos I had and sat down and continued what I was doing, but the girlfriend (who hadn't had a drop of booze to drink) was sure it was a phee of some sort.

Next day I telephoned my Thai friend, who told me it is customary, when moving into a new place, to offer food or drink to the last owner of the house BEFORE you eat or drink anything within the house to show respect.

Do TV members believe in these animist traditions or do you think it is all mumbo jumbo. I used to think the later, but am now not quite sure.

Cheers

GFL.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Right,

I know I will get the piss ripped out of me for this one, but I thought I would share this with you guys at TV and see what you make of it.

My girlfriend and myself recently moved into a old townhouse in Bangkok. On the third or fourth night we were sitting having something to eat and drink near the front door, which was open. The main gate outside the front driveway was locked with a padlock with high perimeter fencing. The time was about midnight.

At the same time my girlfriend and myself saw what appeared to be a man about to enter the house. She politely asked him what he wanted and I stood up to meet him at the doorway. I thought it was a pizza delivery boy who got the wrong address as he was wearing one of those flat caps.

Once I was within a metre or two he had disappeared. Now, thinking it was a opportunist house breaker I ran outside and turned on all the outside lights, but there was no one there and it would have been impossible for him to move and jump over the six foot metal fencing, and the gate was locked.

Strange. I put it down to the three Leos I had and sat down and continued what I was doing, but the girlfriend (who hadn't had a drop of booze to drink) was sure it was a phee of some sort.

Next day I telephoned my Thai friend, who told me it is customary, when moving into a new place, to offer food or drink to the last owner of the house BEFORE you eat or drink anything within the house to show respect.

Do TV members believe in these animist traditions or do you think it is all mumbo jumbo. I used to think the later, but am now not quite sure.

Cheers

GFL.

It's all mumbo jumbo.

Are you sure that you had three bottles of Leo and not Lao Khao? :o

I am not afraid of ghosts (don't personally believe in them)--I am, however, afraid of quite a few of the living.

I do have a Thai friend that I met one day for a visit. He showed up with a lump on his head and quite a few bruises. I asked if he had been in a fight and he said he was attacked by a ghost. According to him, he laid down to take a nap about 2:00 in the afternoon. The ghost held him down and proceeded to beat him, then promptly disappeared. Wierdest story I have heard. He has a roommate who was outside and hear him yell. He came in and no one was there and there was no egress from the room, except to jump four storeys. Wierd or what???

hmm...what about tonight? Do you meet again? :o

haha...may be the man you saw is your own house-guardian..or we Thai call phi-baan-phi-ruern ผีบ้านผีเรือน

He is a good spirit who helps protect the house owner..

It is khon-Thai's belief, every houses will have, so we will have spirit houses in front of houses or buildings.

My house got two spirit houses, brahmin-style and Chinese-style.

Once we had housewarming ceremony, the brahman said he saw an old couple (spirit) in our house.

Well,..dunno..may be it was a mumbo jumbo...I did nothing but listened...

I don't really into superstitous stuff but better not face myself in real...No, thank you! Is not fun. :D

I agree with your Thai friend, is OK to show respect to this spirit's stuff...

For me, it likes we make friend with the neighbors..nothing more... :D

I for one don't think it is mumbo jumbo. In Thailand, you will be hard pressed to find a Thai who DOES NOT believe in ghosts. Call it superstitious, call it silly, whatever you want to think, is it really that difficult to make an offering to the spirits? Really, buy a spirit house. Pour some Fanta in a glass and leave i out for the spirit. If there's no spirit, no harm no foul. If there is, then it is better that the spirits are on your side.

I like the banjo like music.

Heard this music coming from the nearby village a few days ago.

Asked wife what again was going on this time (after the 8 parties we had around our house over the last 2 months)

Answer was "to make the ghosts happy"

Any one has a link to some mp3 happy ghost banjo like Thai music?

Sure the wife's serious about ghosts, don't joke with them! :o

Right,

Cheers

GFL.

there are no such thing as ghost-period

only peoples need to believe in them

there is one simple reason that nobody has ever been able to show 1 single tiny scrap of evidence

nor claim 1 cet of randi's offer

ghosts, religon are for those who have the need to disguise reality

I for one don't think it is mumbo jumbo. In Thailand, you will be hard pressed to find a Thai who DOES NOT believe in ghosts. Call it superstitious, call it silly, whatever you want to think, is it really that difficult to make an offering to the spirits? Really, buy a spirit house. Pour some Fanta in a glass and leave i out for the spirit. If there's no spirit, no harm no foul. If there is, then it is better that the spirits are on your side.

I like it! The Thai version of Pascal's wager.

I guess there's no harm in it. But, in my opinion the real benefit is in the peace of mind a believer gets after fulfilling their obligation (in this case, appeasing the house spirits with offerings). No disrespect intended to anyone's religion. I am not saying there is no such thing as ghosts, I'm just not 100% sure one way or the other!

I like the way an Irish storyteller (whose name I can't recall) once put it. On the subject of banshees, it wasn't so much that he and his friends believed in them, as it was that they craved disbelief!

Right,

Cheers

GFL.

My friend....

You have been in Thailand waaaaay too long.

Time to go home son :o

How do you know it's a Thai ghost? Why not a farang/Arab/Indian/African ghost?

I'll bite on this one.

Could have been. What I probably should have written was I think I saw a ghost in Thailand. Apparently the house was rented to a elderly Farang previously. What I saw was the figure of a male figure wearing some kind of flat cap. The light was on inside the house but not in the front yard as he reached the doorway. I couldn't pick out any detail, such as race.

The way my Thai teacher explained it made some sense. My teacher is 62 and studied for many years in the States so he has what we might call a balanced view on these things. Anyway, he explained that before moving into a new house he always opens a beer and pours the first measure into a small container and offers it to the spirit house. He also burns a candle or a josh stick apologises to the previous owner in prayer (The previous owner can be alive or dead) once the josh stick or candle has burnt away then he carries on as normal. Quite a simple small thing to do.

We have since bought some flowers and fill his cup nightly. Not seen him since.

It's the sort of thing that we could on for years not believing, but once we see something or experience something like this we are forced to re-evaulate our rigid scientific western style of thinking and ask ourselves maybe there is something in it.

Edited by Geekfreaklover

Right,

Cheers

GFL.

My friend....

Yes I've lived in Thailand a long time.

If you want to try to live and enjoy living in Thailand, these are the sorts of things that having a knowledge of will help you to understand the country a little more than you do now.

Edited by Geekfreaklover

Right,

Cheers

GFL.

My friend....

If you want to try to live and enjoy living in Thailand, these are the sorts of things that having a knowledge of will help you to understand the country a little more than you do now.

OMG...I think he actually believes this!

lol :D

Right,

Cheers

GFL.

My friend....

OMG...I think he actually believes this!

lol :D

Well, most of the Thai population do believe in these types of things and they are quite sensitive when you mock them about it.

So be careful when you mention it to your next bargirl on your next shagging holiday, old man.

I used to be a person who said no ghosts are possible and blah blah blah about shreds of proof.

But its much more fun to participate in the unknown. Its like storytelling - you want there to be some suspense. If its all factual data, the world is a boring place.

So now, I enjoy hanging out in the grey zone of what is truth and what is perception.

I've had some real laughs by joining in the fun. It beats being the wet blanket.

Some strange light, shadow....you had three beer.

Girlfriend if Thai, is expecting everywhere pees/everything which does not seem logic in a second is a pee.....

Yeah, that's my thinking also a trick of the light or a shadow that we both saw at the same time.

Still, An intersting topic seeing as this is a Thai forum and the Thais believe in so many different types of ghosts. phee Hue, phee sing etc etc

Right,

Cheers

GFL.

Sitting eating and drinking. What were you drinking? Leo, Beer Lao, Singha <etc HMMMM I wonder. :o:D

Well, most of the Thai population do believe in these types of things and they are quite sensitive when you mock them about it.

So be careful when you mention it to your next bargirl on your next shagging holiday, old man.

Geek, I am not mocking Thai people about their beliefs...I'm mocking you :D

Look...i'll break it as gently as I can to you.

YOU ARE NOT THAI.

I'll repeat it again so you don't get confused.

YOU ARE NOT THAI. :D

Old man huh? hmm first time I've been caled that :o

Now toddle off, i'm sure your English class is starting soon.

Toodleoo :D

Right,

Cheers

GFL.

Sitting eating and drinking. What were you drinking? Leo, Beer Lao, Singha <etc HMMMM I wonder. :D:D

Try reading the entire post. - it explains I had three Leos, and the gf had had nothing to drink.

I personally put it down to the beer and a trick of the light or something. But I did defnitely see what looked like a man approaching the living room door.

The gf thinks it was a ghost.

I am starting to now think that she might use this ghost story as an excuse for me not to go out late at night, leaving her alone with the friendly ghost. :o

Right,

Cheers

GFL.

Sitting eating and drinking. What were you drinking? Leo, Beer Lao, Singha <etc HMMMM I wonder. :o:D

well if you cant see what is there, why should it surprise you that he saw what isn't?