Is A Tower The Way To Go?

vanalli

I read this story on Phuket Wan today about vague plans for a 200-meter tower in Phuket.

http://phuketwan.com/tourism/tower-power-phuket-dreams/

I don't know if it's just me, but it seems like a completely mad idea to build something like this when there are several natural viewpoints dotted around the island. This so-called "tourism tower" would look very out of place sticking out from one of Phuket's hills, especially if it looks like it does in the artist's mockup.

The gov seems to be leaning towards these Dubai-like fantasies. Who knows, maybe in 10 years we'll have a tunnel to Patong, a huge tower on a hill, a cable car from Patong to the Big Buddha and a monorail from the airport to Phuket Town. I think that would actually be kind of cool, although a little over the top.

Thoughts?

why not clean the dirty beaches and roads first? every sidewalk reminds me of 3rd world standards.

im pretty sure tourists enjoy nice beaches and nice walks on local sidewalks more than a stupid tower that would just show those 2 things from far away

why not clean the dirty beaches and roads first? every sidewalk reminds me of 3rd world standards.

im pretty sure tourists enjoy nice beaches and nice walks on local sidewalks more than a stupid tower that would just show those 2 things from far away

Perhaps because we are not in a developing nation.

Thoughts ??

More mega projects = more opportunity to skim off the funds..

I was thinking along the same lines LivinLOS, and you nailed it.

Not to mention the billions of Baht that you first spend on a "fesability study", but that's ok the island has a surplus of them at least 3 or 4 on the Patong tunnel and 5 or 6 on the Airport expansion