Why Does Such A Rubbish Airport Need Its Own Forum?

agreed with thecatman, you can't even spell Changi correctly. go home!

thanks for the info about the 'fake taxi drivers' im sure nobody in this forum would have known about that before your informative post, not!

Dumb @ss both of you :D , you might realise millions of tourists arriving Savanaboom looking for a taxi are easy targets for this scum.

Imagine the insurance problems if ever the "taxi" gets into an accident.

It must be soooo difficult for airport security to get rid of these touts, they must have been trying for the last 50 years by now!

As for swampy itself, it's a nice factory hall , lots of noise included for free and don't forget to pay more for your last souvenirs at the over-the-top luxury shops before you go home than you would at Siam Paragon.

Go home yourself :o

I dont think they are trying at all!

I am sorry to offend the over sensitive readers here, but I do think friendly airport staff and reasonable airport services are more important than a flashy looking building and a lot of propaganda. Immigration, airport staff, taxi drivers do have a lasting impression.. as the first and last -impression of many visitors to Thailand. Thailand is concerned about its image so these are valid points really. Its just typical Thailand really.. lack of attention to detail which could make all the difference!

Edited by CrossBones

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I got free wifi just the other day in Changi. I went to the information counter, and they gave me a slip of paper with a passcode... no SMS required

Sure, that's what happened to me.

A note from the waitress overrides the ordeal of getting a "Free WiFi".

thanks for the info about the 'fake taxi drivers' im sure nobody in this forum would have known about that before your informative post, not!

Do you have anything constructive to say?

I got free wifi just the other day in Changi. I went to the information counter, and they gave me a slip of paper with a passcode... no SMS required

Sure, that's what happened to me.

A note from the waitress overrides the ordeal of getting a "Free WiFi".

I also have used the free WiFi in Changi without using a mobile phone by getting a username/password from the information counter. IIRC, it was time-limited to an hour or two? But, the gal at the information counter said that if I timed-out, to just return for a new authorization.

Do you have anything constructive to say?

do you really think the OP was constructive? Its the same old whine we have heard a million times before. Comparing Changi with Suvarnabhumi is just stupid. Thailand is not Singapore, nor do I want it to be!

When compared to airports over the world BKK is just fine. Have a look at the tired old dump airports we have in Sydney, Melbourne and Perth!

do you really think the OP was constructive? Its the same old whine we have heard a million times before. Comparing Changi with Suvarnabhumi is just stupid. Thailand is not Singapore, nor do I want it to be!

When compared to airports over the world BKK is just fine. Have a look at the tired old dump airports we have in Sydney, Melbourne and Perth!

Whole thread is pretty pointless. Just someone blowing steam.

Personally, I'd have a Thai Airways thread as well.

We were looking a bit jet lagged last month at BKK and staff were straight upto us trying to help, even led the way to where we wanted to go.

Could do with some internet cafes, surely they could make money out of coin slot ones, every1 wants to get rid of their change.

Only complaint we had was something went missing from luggage. We know better than to put anything valuable there and were non plussed about it but hope every1 does same for every airport.

Might put some small locks on next time-give customs something to cut off!

I think that the point is, The new airport could have been SO GOOD.

Designed from the ground up, the builders could have used every lesson from around the world.

Its a tragic lost opportunity, and instead showcases the graft.

Presumably there is no one actually in charge, or if he is, then he owns the taxi touts too.

I am dying to see where the new train is going to dump all its passengers. Presumably just far enough away from departures to require a taxi ride? Or have I become too cynical.

I don't see all the fuss. Ok, so it doesn't stack up to the best airport in the world, and it is a waste of a great building, but honestly its always got me where I want to go with little hassle.

If you want to see disorganized crowds, squalor, wretched staff, and draconian security, then I suggest my usual point of departure, LAX. I always find swampy to be positively delightful by comparison.

Ive just returned from Singapore

What a delightful airport Chengi is compared with BKK.

Singapore:

Delightful check-in staff, easy and quick - no problems checking in early

Departures Area - Loads of shops selling electronics at VERY reasonable prices (bought a Mac Book Pro), plent of english language book shops, newsagents, FREE internet gaming place with PC games, free TV lounge, Massage for $30, Somewhere to sleep for 3 hours and have a shower for $30, loads of restaurants, SUNBEDS at the departure gate - great for long haul transfer passengers. Loads of plants and flowers growing all over the place - giving the whole airport a "fresh feeling",

Building: - Nice carpeted building, no long walks to departure gates (spread over several terminals with interconnecting skytrain). NIce music playing in the background.

Other Things: FREE TOUR of Singapore for transfer passengers with 2 hours to kill. Free Wi-fi

Bkk:

Rude check-in staff (Thai singapore Airways Staff) who directed me to a ticket office on 5th floor that didnt actually exist!

Departure Area - When you go through immigration you are confronted by a large gold Naga Dragon - but no signs (left or right) indicating which way the gate is - so you have to guess walk either left or right and then you will see the sign which will let you know if you went the right way or not - i asked an airport staff lady who didnt know where my gate was (she seemed to point in the air).

Shopping in Departure Area - A bunch of up market suit and clothes shops with very few customers, but I didnt find any book shops, magazines, newsagent, fast food, somewhere to get some sandalls, somewhere comfortable to sit down, nowhere to watch TV, a VERY long walk to the departure gate, couldnt use the Internet anwhere the pay treminals were not working - didnt see any wifi spots etc. Horrible metal chairs, no airport hotel or place to sleep.

Building: - Massive waste of vertical space, must cost a fortune to aircondition especially considering the whole airport is made of GLASS in a hot tropical country.

Arrivals Area: - To many fake taxi trivers hastling tourists, they shout (or whistle at you like a dog) and tell you that they are a proper taxi driver when they are not (could be dangerous getting into their car!) Gives a very bad impression of Thailand when your first experience when you are pounced on by these cowboys.

OTHER THINGS" - When leaving the esculator there is an announcement which says "Beware of the WAR" (obviously meant to say Mind the WALK way) - its repeated thousands of times a day - nobody seems to have spotted it.

I havent mentioned the "broken runway", mobs of communists hijacking the airport, rude people running the shops ( i politely asked to change a 500 note and a woman pactically threw the change at me).

Is it me or is Thailand no longer the land of smiles (now its only Amazing Thailand).

I have been out of the country for the past 6 months and have really noticed a change in attiduted of Bangkok people.

well dont bother coming back to Thailand if the airport and the Thai people upsets you so much, i think the airports fine and does its function, for me and the people are fine, bye bye and go and live in Singapore airport

Ive just returned from Singapore

What a delightful airport Chengi is compared with BKK.

Singapore:

Delightful check-in staff, easy and quick - no problems checking in early

Departures Area - Loads of shops selling electronics at VERY reasonable prices (bought a Mac Book Pro), plent of english language book shops, newsagents, FREE internet gaming place with PC games, free TV lounge, Massage for $30, Somewhere to sleep for 3 hours and have a shower for $30, loads of restaurants, SUNBEDS at the departure gate - great for long haul transfer passengers. Loads of plants and flowers growing all over the place - giving the whole airport a "fresh feeling",

Building: - Nice carpeted building, no long walks to departure gates (spread over several terminals with interconnecting skytrain). NIce music playing in the background.

Other Things: FREE TOUR of Singapore for transfer passengers with 2 hours to kill. Free Wi-fi

Bkk:

Rude check-in staff (Thai singapore Airways Staff) who directed me to a ticket office on 5th floor that didnt actually exist!

Departure Area - When you go through immigration you are confronted by a large gold Naga Dragon - but no signs (left or right) indicating which way the gate is - so you have to guess walk either left or right and then you will see the sign which will let you know if you went the right way or not - i asked an airport staff lady who didnt know where my gate was (she seemed to point in the air).

Shopping in Departure Area - A bunch of up market suit and clothes shops with very few customers, but I didnt find any book shops, magazines, newsagent, fast food, somewhere to get some sandalls, somewhere comfortable to sit down, nowhere to watch TV, a VERY long walk to the departure gate, couldnt use the Internet anwhere the pay treminals were not working - didnt see any wifi spots etc. Horrible metal chairs, no airport hotel or place to sleep.

Building: - Massive waste of vertical space, must cost a fortune to aircondition especially considering the whole airport is made of GLASS in a hot tropical country.

Arrivals Area: - To many fake taxi trivers hastling tourists, they shout (or whistle at you like a dog) and tell you that they are a proper taxi driver when they are not (could be dangerous getting into their car!) Gives a very bad impression of Thailand when your first experience when you are pounced on by these cowboys.

OTHER THINGS" - When leaving the esculator there is an announcement which says "Beware of the WAR" (obviously meant to say Mind the WALK way) - its repeated thousands of times a day - nobody seems to have spotted it.

I havent mentioned the "broken runway", mobs of communists hijacking the airport, rude people running the shops ( i politely asked to change a 500 note and a woman pactically threw the change at me).

Is it me or is Thailand no longer the land of smiles (now its only Amazing Thailand).

I have been out of the country for the past 6 months and have really noticed a change in attiduted of Bangkok people.

well dont bother coming back to Thailand if the airport and the Thai people upsets you so much, i think the airports fine and does its function, for me and the people are fine, bye bye and go and live in Singapore airport

BKK a rubbish airport? Try flying into JFK New York! It was if I had landed in a Third World country! At least that was my experience at the Eastern/Delta Terminal. Very long and disorderly line-ups. Airline agents that looked underpaid and overworked. A currency exchange booth that wanted $6 commission fee to change $20 CAD into USD. A 4-minute phone call to Canada (about 5 minutes) via a pay phone using my credit card, that cost me $15. Junk food restaurants everywhere, with more fat people than I saw in 5 months in Thailand. PA warnings every 20 minutes "not to carry someone's else item on the plane." Confusing inter-terminal train system.

Oh how I missed the civilized environment and the gentle staff at BKK and Narita!

I think that the point is, The new airport could have been SO GOOD.

Designed from the ground up, the builders could have used every lesson from around the world.

Its a tragic lost opportunity, and instead (it)showcases the graft.

Presumably there is no one actually in charge, or if he is, then he owns the taxi touts too.

I am dying to see where the new train is going to dump all its passengers. Presumably just far enough away from departures to require a taxi ride? Or have I become too cynical. :o

Best reply so far, IMHO :D

To receive the password via SMS I needed to buy a cheap Nokia phone (50$) without a SIM card.

Then, insert my JP SIM card that had to have roaming , another 50$.

Instead of using your JP SIM you could have bought a new SingTel SIM for $7.00S. That's what I paid about 2 years ago.

No, I must have my Japanese phone operational, that's work requirement. Staff/customers form Japan call normal number without knowing where I am or in which handset my SIM card may be inserted.

I used to use wife's phone while in BKK but for Singapore I bought another one and even that one did not work well enough to receive free WiFi access.

As it turns out, the necessary device for Internet access (a capable laptop) is not enough, even if there are free fixed stations for 15 minutes sessions at the airport to receive password and login.

Sound to me that you had to pay $50 for roaming and another $50 for GSM phone due work requirements, not to get free wifi. And more likely you did not pay anything, your company did. Maybe it's time for your company to switch their sim's and phones to global standard meaning GSM.

You actually get sms automatickly when you enter singapore with roaming sim card. Most networks send you few messages with excange rate etc and one of the sms's has username and password for free wifi access for 24 hours. Not sure if you get charged for incoming sms as they are "notifications" from the roaming network. IMO you should not be charged for those sms's.

I had a problem with the registration as the online form added +65 in front of my number and also asked me to input +65 in front so the number went in as +6565... and i did not receive the sms. Simple one minute phone call and all clear. They gave me my password over the phone. Since the registration it's been working everytime without any problems.

Sound to me that you had to pay $50 for roaming and another $50 for GSM phone due work requirements, not to get free wifi. And more likely you did not pay anything, your company did. Maybe it's time for your company to switch their sim's and phones to global standard meaning GSM.

Free WiFi would assume you have a WiFi capable laptop and you want to connect. You can't without a mobile phone that does things locally.

How about Americans in transit who have their laptops ready in hand baggage but have packed up in their suitcases their mobile that will not work or left it back home?

And why airports staff are so eager and routinely hand out their own logins and passwords?

As for my company switching to GSM, it's far off. Japanese mobile providers are about 10 years ahead of anyone else, bar South Korea.

A simple question that erases any rationalizations: WiFi is via a laptop. Why can't anyone (as it is meant to be free) connect using their laptops?

Free WiFi would assume you have a WiFi capable laptop and you want to connect. You can't without a mobile phone that does things locally.

How about Americans in transit who have their laptops ready in hand baggage but have packed up in their suitcases their mobile that will not work or left it back home?

And why airports staff are so eager and routinely hand out their own logins and passwords?

As for my company switching to GSM, it's far off. Japanese mobile providers are about 10 years ahead of anyone else, bar South Korea.

A simple question that erases any rationalizations: WiFi is via a laptop. Why can't anyone (as it is meant to be free) connect using their laptops?

Singapore airport wifi indeed is free, you do not have to pay anything. What you are after is open unsecured access where you can connect without registering. As someone said, most likely banned by singapore regulations or security laws. Also wifi is not limited to laptops.

While on the move i do my emails etc with my mobile phone connecting internet via wifi. Yes there is always someone without working phone in hand but then i guess you just need to call them for your password or ask the lovely ladies at information counter if you wish to connect. Yes, maybe not convenient but as Singapore law says you need to register and sms is the easiest solution IMO. For those who do not want or can not bother to sort it out there is always free pc's all around that get you access to internet for free and without the need to register. And naturally every lounge has free open access where you are given username and password at front door.

As for Japan and GSM technology. in Q3 last year big 5 operators in Japan had around 110 million subscribers. 58% of those or around 64 million subscribers were using GSM Technology. 3G or UMTS to be more specific. True, Japan has been ahead of others with latest techology and services build in their networks but have been rapidly migrating towards "global" GSM technology in recent years as has happened in USA as well. And most likely Japan will be the first country in asia to take the next step and launch LTE networks shortly. LTE meaning Long Term Evolution or "4G".

Edited by MJo

Singapore airport wifi indeed is free, you do not have to pay anything. What you are after is open unsecured access where you can connect without registering. As someone said, most likely banned by singapore regulations or security laws. Also wifi is not limited to laptops.

Yes, an unsecured access like at Starbucks. Open my laptop and the connection is available.

If I want it more secure, I fire up my VPN, log in into my corporate with RCA keyfob, and end of story.

Nobody to call, no messages to receive, no bartenders to give me their own login and password, nothing.

As for Singapore laws, let's make a bit of fun of them. Gay people (which I am not) can be prosecuted there.

Those laws do not apply at the airside of Changi, I am almost certain. A gay person can kiss his/her partner or hold hands there and not be arrested.

Why then we need those "registration" rules for using "free WiFi" that they boast the world over?

I am typing this from my corp laptop while my wife is reading about protests and shits, using our house PC.

Just opened the laptop, the WiFi connection (paid) is there and there I go. My corp laptop is just an Internet terminal, my company does not have a way to know I am using it for this discussion.

Edited by think_too_mut

As for Singapore laws, let's make a bit of fun of them. Gay people (which I am not) can be prosecuted there.

Those laws do not apply at the airside of Changi, I am almost certain. A gay person can kiss his/her partner or hold hands there and not be arrested.

Perhaps one of the gay members of Thai Visa would like to put your theory to the test?

Well, you know what you can do if you don't like it............#$%@ off home!!

A pathetic rude reply to the OP's post which has some valid points. Use both airports regularly and I tend to agree with the OP especially the service at Suwanphum Airport, it leaves much to be desired

Edited by Flow

quote name='jeffer' post='2646056' date='2009-

As to why all the personal details are needed, simple, we're talking Singapore not Thailand. You want a SIM in Singapore? You go for example to Seven Eleven and ask to purchase a SIM and before you hand over your $15 they will ask to see your passport. No passport, no SIM as without proper ID they can't register your SIM as required by Singapore law.

Personally, I see nothing wrong with this law. Singapore is a very safe place - because of the existence of rules/laws like these.

• 2 weeks later...

The last couple times I departed BKK, I noticed the (probably not-too-cheap) rotating doors on the departure level that most people avoided like the plague (preferring to use the standard hinged doors on either side) have now been "adjusted" so that they are wide open full-time.

So, rather than using more traditional sliding doors that opened via sensor when someone approaches, they wasted all that money on those fancy-schmancy rotating doors, which are now abandoned in favor of having a permanently open portal for the air con'd air to depart the terminal.

The last couple times I departed BKK, I noticed the (probably not-too-cheap) rotating doors on the departure level that most people avoided like the plague (preferring to use the standard hinged doors on either side) have now been "adjusted" so that they are wide open full-time.

So, rather than using more traditional sliding doors that opened via sensor when someone approaches, they wasted all that money on those fancy-schmancy rotating doors, which are now abandoned in favor of having a permanently open portal for the air con'd air to depart the terminal.

Yeah, cos they were trapping people with their luggage inside :o

Was there last night and they have fitted sensors and sliding doors to this part now.

Noticed the big round ones are still in place at the departures though.

one thing not mentioned: I went to VAT with a laptop I'd bought new in Thailand. I was on my way overseas. Had the receipt, but found out (somewhat rudely from the bored worker there) that I needed an official receipt relating directly to VAT. In other words, it's not good enough for them that I had the receipt to prove I'd bought it in Thailand recently. Moral of the story: Thai officialdom makes a lot of noise about the benefits of VAT refunds, but doesn't want to pay any of the promised refunds. It's essentially a scam. I'd venture that less than 1/10th of 1% of VAT paid - is ever refunded. Pretty good program if you're on the receiving end.

As for SUV airport: generally ok, but a whole lot of room for improvements, many of which wouldn't cost much. I've asked directions several times, and even their 'information' booths were often stumped. In typical Thai style, their willingness was there, but their brain power was flagging.

Example: "where do I go to send a package by air freight?" I rec'd dozens of different answers from different workers at the airport, all wrong. It's like trying to get directions to an address in Thailand: you have to keep asking everyone you meet along the way. Finally, I followed a thread of directions (4 or 5 people long) and a taxi driver gave me a usable answer.

Most of the stuff for sale (luxury items) are crap and over-priced. In contrast, there's a shop at the San Francisco airport that sells unique items related to science / puzzles / exploration / discovery / innovation. This might sound crazy, but how about a pawn shop at SUV? Pawn shops often have cool items: used guitars, unusual jewelry, oddball collectible things. Thais couldn't relate, because everything they buy has to be brand new. But farang like unusual and 2nd-hand items.

Edited by brahmburgers

Once again I'll defend Suvarnabhumi Airport where I've never had a problem, particularly not with the Thai staff of Singapore Airlines which I use regularly.

I've never had a problem with Thai immigration who I always find polite and tolerant. I'd hate to arrive unheralded at one of my country's immigration check points and demand the right to live there on tourist visas.

The Thai bashers seldom take this into consideration though.

YOU CANT COMPARE SINGAPORE WITH THAILAND.

SINGAPORE IS VERY TINY COUNTRY. SEE THE SIZE OF THAILAND.

IF THAILAND WAS THE SIZE OF SINGAPORE THEN OFCOURSE THAI AIRPORT WOULD HAVE BEEN THE BEST TOO.