One Million Baht Prize Money To Get Thaksin

george

Bt1m prize money to get Thaksin

A prize money of Bt1 million was offered yesterday to bring to Thailand fugitive ex-premier Thaksin Shinawatra, who was blamed for the ongoing political conflict.

A group of people, calling themselves "United Siam", made the offer at a press conference at the Rajabhat Suan Dusit University. The group includes retired bureaucrats, senators, academics and business people.

General Somjet Bunthanom, one of the members of the Council for National Security formed after the September 2006 coup, said yesterday that the offer was aimed at preventing the country from getting into another crisis.

"It's clear that Thaksin is the root cause of the problems. So we are offering the prize money of Bt1 million to anyone who can bring Thaksin to be prosecuted in Thailand," he said.

The general said the money would be paid by business people who "see Thaksin as a severe threat to the country and its people".

The group also issued a statement accusing Thaksin and his red-shirt supporters of insulting the monarchy, publicly and clandestinely. The group called on members of the public to rise up against the red shirts.

Thaksin, who has been in exile overseas, over the past week addressed his red-shirt supporters gathering outside Government House in his nightly video linkup. He has heavily criticised certain privy councillors, in particular Privy Council President Prem Tinsulanonda, and threatened a "people's revolution".

Senator Somchai Sawangkarn, who is part of the group, said during the press conference that "some broken-hearted communists and politicians who lost their power" were part of the movement that was campaigning against the monarchy.

"We would like to call on the public to denounce the acts by Thaksin and those people who have violated the monarchy with the goal of inciting a civil war and overthrowing the establishments," he said.

-- The Nation 2009-04-07

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Notice the STRONG PROPAGANDA element here? The protagonists have changed the focus in this article, from anti-GOVERNMENT - non elected government that is, to anti-MONARCHY! This is rather a leap of faith, don't you think? And clandestinely inciting civil war too! That's amazing stuff. There's clearly some very important & powerful people at work here, that may just be starting to get a little worried?

Why don't they just revoke his passport? He is a wanted fugitive after all.

It would seem to make sense, revoke his passport and inform him that he needs to return to Thailand to have it reinstated.

He would have to travel on his Ugandan passport then :o

Is this part of the previous quazi-political movement with semi-official backing or a new organization - are we going to have a new coloured shirt???

I hope not.

The GF tells me that I cannot go out wearing either red or yellow as it is at present. I just hope that the next faction won't choose "white, black or any shade of blue" :o

i agree to yogi.

the one million baht is nothing compared to Taskin money. He can give the hunter 5 million to not get him.

my friend said she want to add 5,000 baht if it can end this situation.

I'm not supporting both red or yellow T-shirts.

but if he think he are not wrong, why doesn't he come back to face the court.

Instead of giving a million baht to any one who can find Taksin,why don't we use this 1 million to help does who are affected by the pride of Thai polticians...If Taksin is a very bad person,why you polticians are spending time with his game...If he comes back,then arrest him,if not,life will go on..

Mighty

An idiotic, undignified, 'look at me' publicity stunt from banana-land people who should be sophisticated enough to know better

Its aimed at the local media and making sure the meme (or possibly reality) of what Thaksin is goes out loud and clear along with the increasing other groups claiming the same. The reds are being tarnished as unloyal.

Will it affect them? Not sure but Nuttawut demanded the use of state media today to clarify the reds position. Maybe now we see why the Dems have not used state media for propoganda. It makes it a tad easier to decline Nattawuts demand. Meanwhile the less official channels (what did the Kamnan and headmens association yesterday say) continue to make their claims. This is a nasty game.

All imho

Notice the STRONG PROPAGANDA element here? The protagonists have changed the focus in this article, from anti-GOVERNMENT - non elected government that is, to anti-MONARCHY! This is rather a leap of faith, don't you think? And clandestinely inciting civil war too! That's amazing stuff. There's clearly some very important & powerful people at work here, that may just be starting to get a little worried?

Well, then tell the audience who made the accusations in the first place,

was it some undercover agent or the fugitive and his support crew themselves,

making these claims in full view of the public?

as there is really only a YES or NO

....I am waiting in joyful anticipation for the answer...!

I'm sure Thaksin is shaking in his boots .... NOT

THINK THE SUM IS ACTUALLY INSULTING FOR A MULTI-BILLIONAIRE

That's exactely the point. Double insult. I think the offer is ment to be a slap in the face for Thaksin. Firstly because now there is a price on his head in Thailand and secondly because the price is LOW. Well done Royal Guards :-)

Bt1m prize money to get Thaksin

General Somjet Bunthanom, one of the members of the Council for National Security formed after the September 2006 coup, said yesterday that the offer was aimed at preventing the country from getting into another crisis.

The general said the money would be paid by business people who "see Thaksin as a severe threat to the country and its people".

-- The Nation 2009-04-07

The offer comes from a army man that overthrew an elected government and the peanut gallery cheers. Hello?? Have some of you lost all sense of reason? The military and its backers that have enslaved the poor are worried. Good. There is no place for politics in the military. It is supposed to be apolitical. If India can do it, so too can Thailand. For a military man, this speaks volumes.

You got it. They are unable to keep a lid on the poor and as the economy worsens (thousands of marginal workers are losing their jobs in Bangkok) the pressure will only grow. The military needs to stop inciting conflict and should tell its Generals to stick to giving themselves medals and driving around in expensive vehicles and playing at military golf clubs.

:o It's not necessary to bring him back. I don't think he's happy where he is right now and he deserves it. An expat can get a visa into Thailand and apparently, he's Thai but cannot get one, let alone returning his motherland. I think it's better to let him stay where he is. Don't you think he's unhappy now? He's got enough money to build a house on the moon but I am sure he is not happy and wants to return home. Though he can run as far as he can, he is locked away from where he wants to be.

I think the sum of money is an insult. They 'want' him back for 1 Million baht >> means they don't want him back!

Edited by tommii