Non Imm B To Non Imm 0 Based On Marriage And Having A Work Permit

I am US citizen, 56 years old, wanting to change away from a Non-b visa to a Non O visa and still be able to have a work permit.

Just returned from the Consulate in New Orleans. Had an appointment at 9:00 am, I turned in my papers for a 12 month multiple entry based on being married and supporting my Thai wife at that time and was finished and drinking coffee in the French Quarter at 9:45 with my visa. I have been working in Thailand for 3 1/2 years on a Non Imm B with work permit. In recent months I have felt some unease about the future of the job continuing so I wanted to get the Non Imm O visa to avoid a rush if the job collapses. It was my understanding that I would be able to get a work permit with this type of visa but the consulate and the Embassy in DC say that they don't know about that.

I told them it was fairly new but no joy if they don't see the paper. Is getting a work permit on my new visa possible (I'm sure that it is) and if so, can I fix the "employment prohibited" stamp fixed when I get back to Thailand next week? Is this done when you get a marriage extension? The consulate general (American lay)said she could fix the visa here if she had some official information.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Yes you can get a Work Permit with a Non O Visa and the Marriage Extension.

Don't worry about the "Employment Prohibited" stamp. It means nothing.

Thanks. I was just concerned because I enjoy the job and would lilke to continue it for as long as possible in case my employer weasles out of losing the contract. If he loses it (the contract) I should be able just to change to another company and keep working when I get a new permit, right?

Edited by mmcsusnret