Buriram Pie Man

binnsy

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

post-56811-1252400653_thumb.jpg

Unless he maes the crust with lard, they're crud.

Kindly enlarge upon the above in plain English!

Here is a recipe for traditional pork pies where lard is used in the crust. Attached is a photo

post-56811-1252400653_thumb.jpg

Ingredients

For the filling

450g pork shoulder, (ask your butcher for the higher meat) finely chopped

55g pork fat, finely minced

55g Bacon, minced

For the pastry

450g Flour

225g lard

90 ml water

beaten egg yolks, or milk to glaze

For the jelly

300 ml water

1/2 envelope powdered gelatine, (about 6g)

Parsley, or other herbs (optional)

1. To make the pastry: put the flour in a mixing bowl and crumble in the lard. Work until beginning to come together. Add a pinch of salt and start adding the water gradually, working until the dough breaks (NB. it must not be stretchable). Let it rest for 1 hour.

2. Preheat the oven to 190C/gas 5.

3. Knead the dough on a floured surface and roll out about 5mm thick. Reserve enough pastry to make a lid. Use the larger piece of dough to line the base and sides of a 20cm plain flan ring or springform tin.

4. To make the filling: mix the pork shoulder, pork fat and bacon and season with salt and pepper. Place this mixture in the dough case, but don't squash it in.

5. Brush the edges of the dough with water and place the lid on top. Make sure this is sealed well by pressing with a fork.

6. Brush the top with egg yolk or milk. Cook in the oven for about 1 hour 30 minutes until golden brown.

7. Remove from the oven and remove the flan ring immediately. Leave the pie to cool, and then chill overnight.

8. The following day, make up the gelatine with the water according to the packet instructions. You can add parsley or other herbs if desired. Make a hole in the top of the pie and pour the gelatine in until the pie is completely filled (the meat will have shrunk so there will be plenty of space). Let the pie set in the fridge overnight (or for at least 12 hours for the best results).

They are Steve's pies in the book and bed I saw him dropping a load off the other day when I was in for lunch.

He also does brown sauce which I tried yesterday and its Exactly like HP but at 50b rather than 120b there is no way I will be buying HP again I couldn't tell the difference.

He also does brown sauce which I tried yesterday and its Exactly like HP but at 50b rather than 120b there is no way I will be buying HP again I couldn't tell the difference.

I think I will put some in HP bottles (made of plastic now) - that way, psychologically, you still think you are getting HP but you are 70 Bt better off :)

• 3 weeks later...
I cant believe you guys live in thailand and you are eating meat pies :)

ooh well i guess each and every one to them selves !!

just my thoughts......

at a guess i say you haven't tried one yet. you don't know what you are missing. it is also amazing how many people eat thai food that live in other parts of the world.

I cant believe you guys live in thailand and you are eating meat pies :D

just my thoughts......

at a guess i say you haven't tried one yet. you don't know what you are missing. it is also amazing how many people eat thai food that live in other parts of the world.

Well that is true sammycic i dont know what I am missing because i have not tried one yet , maybe I am just not much of a pie lover , I do go to Buriram now an then , maybe Ill pop in one day and see what the fuss is all about :)

I just find it hard to eat western food now , its so plan and boring ...

I hope I dont offend someone in saying that , i sure do have to kind of way lately...

just my thoughts......

Well that is true sammycic i dont know what I am missing because i have not tried one yet , maybe I am just not much of a pie lover , I do go to Buriram now an then , maybe Ill pop in one day and see what the fuss is all about :)

I hope I dont offend someone in saying that , i sure do have to kind of way lately...

I am sure no one will be offended - but why read about "Buriram Pie Man" if you have no interest in pies or Western food ? :D

just my thoughts......

Well that is true sammycic i dont know what I am missing because i have not tried one yet , maybe I am just not much of a pie lover , I do go to Buriram now an then , maybe Ill pop in one day and see what the fuss is all about :D

I am sure no one will be offended - but why read about "Buriram Pie Man" if you have no interest in pies or Western food ? :D

Its the man in buriram that got my interest , If you must know , but we can continue this if you like using our inbox , its not fair for the other readers ,

if you have the urge to ask me a personal question feel free to send me a message to my inbox ,

:)

Edited by MRnell

Its the man in buriram that got my interest , If you must know , but we can continue this if you like using our inbox , its not fair for the other readers ,

if you have the urge to ask me a personal question feel free to send me a message to my inbox ,

:)

I think that was a fair question in an open forum, MRnell.

What wonderful publicity this guy is getting and good luck to him.

Dave

just my thoughts......

There is only so much Somtam and Phad Thai you can eat! For myself a mixture of Thai & western food is the answer.

Just hope all you gluttons have left a few pies for me! :)

TBWG :D

• 1 month later...
I had an apple and blackcurrant crumble with ice cream last night. Delicious!

I wonder whether we can persuade Steve to come up with some mince pies, and even Christmas Pud!

Over to you Steve

Well I have just consumed an apple pie with a jumbo helping of vanilla ice cream.....Yummy!

With regard to christmas delights I believe Rocky has had a word with Steve for the Xmas bash!!!

TBWG :)

Pics of these pies might be a good idea.

Available from Coffee Corner in Prakhon Chai :D

post-62645-1259215752_thumb.jpg

Looks good for baht99

Good effort Skippy, :D .

You may have to bring out more pocket money if you want anything more than a children's meal. If you only have 99 Baht I can let you have just under half a portion - but, you will have to bring your own water :)

post-62645-1259215752_thumb.jpg

Looks good for baht99

Good effort Skippy, :D .

You may have to bring out more pocket money if you want anything more than a children's meal. If you only have 99 Baht I can let you have just under half a portion - but, you will have to bring your own water :)

I would stretch to baht150 if you lobbed on another pie.

post-62645-1259215752_thumb.jpgpost-62645-1259215752_thumb.jpg

Chaimai

The top picture looks more like a Chicken pie and the bottom is probably a Steak and Sydney, am I right?

:D:D

Totster :D

Dave,

You are as perceptive as ever, but only half right. :D

The top one is infact the Steak & Kidney and the bottom one was a 'stutter' on the keyboard by :D .

Never was IT literate enough to upload pictures correctly :)

I would stretch to baht150 if you lobbed on another pie.

Good idea Skippy, I am good at selling for less than cost price :) .

Best idea is to come along with your 150 Baht and we can negotiate over what food is available.

I will require the price confirmed before I book my flight.