What Can Be Done To Increase Tourism To The Cm Area?

thailandlover

The thing is that Chiang Mai is not a recreational city you can "SEE" in a day or so. Although it has historical importance, it is not really a tourist destination like the beach areas in the south. It is a city where it's nice to spend some time and get to know on a more intimate level. Once you've seen a few Thai temples you've mostly seen them all. Chiang Mai's moat and ancient parts of the old walled city are unique, but is that worth traveling an extra 1000 kilometers to see? From my experience, Chiang Mai is a far nicer city for foreigners to live (short or long time) than anywhere else in Thailand, but it is hardly a tourist center.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The thing is that Chiang Mai is not a recreational city you can "SEE" in a day or so. Although it has historical importance, it is not really a tourist destination like the beach areas in the south. It is a city where it's nice to spend some time and get to know on a more intimate level. Once you've seen a few Thai temples you've mostly seen them all. Chiang Mai's moat and ancient parts of the old walled city are unique, but is that worth traveling an extra 1000 kilometers to see? From my experience, Chiang Mai is a far nicer city for foreigners to live (short or long time) than anywhere else in Thailand, but it is hardly a tourist center.

I agree in part with that. However also for tourists there's a huge attraction to being in a more genuine part of Thailand. Some of the 'basics' of Thai tourism (markets-temples-daily life) are best done in Chiang Mai as it's far more enjoyable, easier to get around and cheaper than trying to do these things in, say, Bangkok.

It's however not something easily explained to a person planning his first Thailand trip.. The tourists who have given themselves a little more time however do tend to visit the North, and by and large find it a complete blessing compared to the ueber-tourist experience in the main Southern / island destinations or Bangkok. This connects with people, and many end up recommending it to others "Don't miss Chiang Mai!"

That said, tell me again why tourism in Chiang Mai needs increasing? :o Anything that moves it closer to a Southern experience where tourists are treated like cattle almost up to the point where they're prodded with sticks from a tailor shop to a floating market to James Bond island is not really something worth looking forward to.

good post, I agree with most said. Thailands needs to actually believe tourism matters at goverment level not pretend there is no problem.

Yes difficult times to attract tourists, but more can always be done. People have already mentioned prices and promotions (advertising) but these are just two out of dozens of pieces of the jigsaw. It needs a co-ordinated planned approach and that is something the Thais just aren't good at.

I thought I would take the slackers option and just re-cycle a letter I did for the Nation newspaper a while back (unpublished) ...

"Tourists are won, not bought"

I write in relation to yesterday's call by the Association of Thai Travel Agents for the Government to provide "money to promote growth and persuade tourists from everywhere to return".

Presumably another roadshow or two, and a few million baht more spent on glossy advertisements.

Travellers are already aware of Thailand, but they have limited funds, limited time, and almost 200 other countries to choose from. In making their holiday plans they are heavily influenced by their own previous trips to Thailand, and the Thai travel experiences of friends and family. It is in difficult times like this that Thailand needs to be able to draw on stocks of goodwill and loyalty amongst the travelling public. Alas this international goodwill account is now well and truly in overdraft.

Seeing a magazine advertisement will not be the deciding factor, more likely it will be memories or the recollections of others concerning:

* having goods stolen from them whilst travelling within Thailand, either by the staff of airports, hotels, and bus companies - and the subsequent wholly ineffective response by management, police, and TAT/Ministry of Tourism

* emailing repeatedly to hotels or tour operators but never receiving a response

* being accosted by street scammers and finding themselves bailed up in a gem shop or similar

* being unable to use the capital city airports because authorities had allowed them to be overrun by rent-a-crowd hooligans

With the exception of the last point, these are issues that have been ongoing for years due to buck-passing and other utterly ineffective responses by those who should be protecting the interests and security of foreign travellers.

So please no more roadshows and advertising campaigns. Instead start by opening your complaints folders and addressing long-standing issues there. And then publicise the decisive action you have subsequently taken to address such issues. You might find that this strategy achieves more than you would get for a 100 ad campaigns.

On a broader note, countries like Australia realised years ago that the responsible tourism agency could achieve little working in isolation. Tourism is not an industry as such, it is an amalgam of parts of many other industries - industries like accommodation, transport, retail, and so on. Thus the health and direction of Thai tourism is affected by decisions (or non-decisions) made by many different government agencies.

The first step is to educate all these various departments about the importance of tourism, and the significant role that they play in its success. The next step is to develop a whole-of- government strategy for tourism. Such a strategy must have input from all relevant government agencies, and a commitment from them that they will do their part to ensure its timely and seamless implementation. This is the stage where Thailand should be by now, but sadly simply isn't anywhere close.

It seems to me that tourism to CM is down this year and that people are complaining that bookings for Songklan are also way down.

So, the question is, what can be done to improve and increase tourism to Chiang Mai, either by the government or by individuals? What does CM need to do to attract tourists? Or are there just no tourists out there to attract?

Isn't it obvious? First you promise to double the traffic at ChiangMai INTERNATIONAL Airport, the convince your rich property developer friends to make a killing by creating lots of extra 5 star hotel capacity, then you create a wildlife park , safari zoo, aquarium and anything else you can copy from your friends in Singapore (not forgetting the exotic meat restaurant to go with the safari park - for the discerning upmarket Chinese tourist)

Then you go ff on a trip and forget to lock the back door.....

• 3 weeks later...
It seems to me that tourism to CM is down this year and that people are complaining that bookings for Songklan are also way down.

So, the question is, what can be done to improve and increase tourism to Chiang Mai, either by the government or by individuals? What does CM need to do to attract tourists? Or are there just no tourists out there to attract?

It would certainly help if foreigners didn't have to make a "tourist run" just to renew for 14 days. I fail to understand why Thailand decided to change it from a 30 day renewal since it appears that only the country you enter benefits from the renewal charges. I would have gladly extended my one month trip to two months if it hadn't required two separate trips.

You could get a tourist visa which is good for 60 days and can be extended by another 30. Or a double-entry visa even.

Best of all, the fee for a tourist visa is currenlty waived, making it free! Honestly I'd say that should give plenty of time for tourism purposes.

Been in CM 13 years. It was thriving tourist, but not the high end. Backpackers on route to other destinations. But soooooo many. Place was pumping and commmece seemed good. Then all the

designer hotels/spas invaded and brought in another sort of tourism. But they don't trek, go

to elephant camps, mini tours around such as Pai. No, they stay in their compound where every

thing is available, and they are trapped or don't want to go exploring. Now CM has many, no,

tons of unoccupied condos/hotels/guest houses due to over building when the money was flowing.

All the old buildings and little shops that made CM sweet are being repalce by cement, with no

personality. As a tourist, I can think of better palces to go now that CM is losing it's quaint-ness.

Once again the rich have foiled the scene.

Chiang Mai is so much more than trekking, elephants, Night Bazaar and hill tribe villages - yawn for those who have done it once already. World's largest water fight - should be as famous as the tomato festival, loy krathong, pu sae ya sae crazy animist festival, vientiene on special occasions, foodies may even enjoy the emerging dining scene, the riverside night life, Nimmanhaemin and Hang Dong shopping, picnicing by a waterfall, house boats...etc. Why can't TAT get that? They promote the same old same old. If there isn't enough budget for full on TV commercials and take it online. Online advertising is getting so sophisticated, I hardly ever see Chiang Mai advertised. It is far less expensive and if TAT places it on large engines and travel sites I am sure they can help drive traffic here. I just launched a site to promote events and hope that eventually we can help attract tourists to the lovely events there are in Chiang Mai...but its just a small private effort, TAT should do much more.

> pu sae ya sae crazy animist festival

Sounds fun... What/when/where's that?

Reason they're not promoting it could be because Bangkok government isn't big on animist stuff. :) Like for example the Phi Ta Khon stuff in Loei they do promote, but a VERY sanitized version of it. No mention of all the weird shit.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

Are you joking? It's great just like it is.

AMEN brother elektrified...AMEN

Agree !! This sweet little town is perfect, no change needed to improve.

Nice local people, great weather,fruit, food and restaurants. Less soccer on TV

would be an improvement. Sorry mates but it keeps me out of many places to

eat. Enough already !!

Second that. And if you remove half the song taews and tuktuk's there will be no polutions or traffic jams anymore also.

Pu Sae Ya Sae is held behind Doi Kham temple in Mae Hia district on 6th June, it starts at 6 but the gory bits normally are around 8.30-9 but do call them at 053 276491 extension 16 for details (I am sure they won't speak English though). PM me closer to the date if you want, as I will haev the details by then.

Here are a few past articles from previous years and peices of information about Pu Sae Ya Sae...

http://www.chiangmainews.com/ecmn/viewfa.php?id=774

http://www.chiangmainews.com/ecmn/viewfa.php?id=1873

http://www.chiangmainews.com/aboutchiangma...tails.php?id=21

Searcher22 has a great point:

Make CM a "sustainable" and people-friendly city. Build 100 km of dedicated bike paths. Cut automobile traffic around the moat in half. Provide clean, safe and reliable public transportation. Get rid of stray dogs. I guarantee you people will flock here once they hear about "the Paris of Asia".

Pu Sae Ya Sae is held behind Doi Kham temple in Mae Hia district on 6th June, it starts at 6 but the gory bits normally are around 8.30-9 but do call them at 053 276491 extension 16 for details (I am sure they won't speak English though). PM me closer to the date if you want, as I will haev the details by then.

Here are a few past articles from previous years and peices of information about Pu Sae Ya Sae...

http://www.chiangmainews.com/ecmn/viewfa.php?id=774

http://www.chiangmainews.com/ecmn/viewfa.php?id=1873

http://www.chiangmainews.com/aboutchiangma...tails.php?id=21

Thanks for that!! Interesting.. and pretty close to where I live. Would be nice to do a separate post/topic closer to the date to confirm. I'll try to remember and start one.

This just in:

SEPT 26/08: HEADLINE BANGKOK - Facing the steepest drop in tourist arrivals in over 20 years, the Tourism Authority of Thailand announced drastic measures this week to maintain tourist revenues over the crucial upcoming holiday season. Reversing long-standing trends in restricting both the numbers of foreign visitors given visas as well as the time they are permitted to stay in the Kingdom, the Immigration Bureau is now revoking all previous entry requirements and instead restricting those who are permitted to leave.

According to new information posted on the Immigration Bureau website, foreign arrivals will now be given a 10-year entry visa at the airport, along with honorary Thai citizenship. The visa also comes with a 1-year minimum, which prohibits anyone from leaving for 365 days. However, Khun Jitlada, Minister of Tourism, says that this should be no problem since there are so many things to do and see in Thailand. "From our world-famous beach islands to the green hills of the north, Thailand has something for every day of your mandatory stay," she explained. "We especially encourage our new guests to explore our wide variety of hotels and shopping malls, which have plenty of occupancy and lots of inventory in stock."

Effective immediately, all incoming international round-trip flights will become one-way flights, with all exiting flights subject to a lengthy application process. Additionally, arriving visitors will be stripped of their former nationalities and passports, assigned new Thai ID cards. They will be permitted to keep all ATM cards and credit cards.

Response to the new rules has been mixed, with many arriving passengers uncertain about their new lives in Thailand. "We were just planning on a 2-week holiday in Phuket," said "Lars Skaarskard, a Swedish national who arrived with his entire family. "But I guess we could spend a year here. The weather is nice and I think the kids should learn a third language anyway."

Members of Thailand's existing expatriate community were universally positive in praising the new rules. "No more visa runs? Thank god," said Arthur Coleman, a freelance writer.

This just in:

SEPT 26/08: HEADLINE BANGKOK - Facing the steepest drop in tourist arrivals in over 20 years, the Tourism Authority of Thailand announced drastic measures this week to maintain tourist revenues over the crucial upcoming holiday season. Reversing long-standing trends in restricting both the numbers of foreign visitors given visas as well as the time they are permitted to stay in the Kingdom, the Immigration Bureau is now revoking all previous entry requirements and instead restricting those who are permitted to leave.

According to new information posted on the Immigration Bureau website, foreign arrivals will now be given a 10-year entry visa at the airport, along with honorary Thai citizenship. The visa also comes with a 1-year minimum, which prohibits anyone from leaving for 365 days. However, Khun Jitlada, Minister of Tourism, says that this should be no problem since there are so many things to do and see in Thailand. "From our world-famous beach islands to the green hills of the north, Thailand has something for every day of your mandatory stay," she explained. "We especially encourage our new guests to explore our wide variety of hotels and shopping malls, which have plenty of occupancy and lots of inventory in stock."

Effective immediately, all incoming international round-trip flights will become one-way flights, with all exiting flights subject to a lengthy application process. Additionally, arriving visitors will be stripped of their former nationalities and passports, assigned new Thai ID cards. They will be permitted to keep all ATM cards and credit cards.

Response to the new rules has been mixed, with many arriving passengers uncertain about their new lives in Thailand. "We were just planning on a 2-week holiday in Phuket," said "Lars Skaarskard, a Swedish national who arrived with his entire family. "But I guess we could spend a year here. The weather is nice and I think the kids should learn a third language anyway."

Members of Thailand's existing expatriate community were universally positive in praising the new rules. "No more visa runs? Thank god," said Arthur Coleman, a freelance writer.

Hey mapguy, great post many yuks. Have you sent your CV to TAT they could use you for their next ad campaign sounds like a winner !!

First look at places that have done very well elsewhere in the world. Research their model of success and see how they do it. It is never one reason but a combination of many actions. In promotions and adverstising the point many do not see, is it is an art form and a career all unto itself. It is why companies pay experts hundreds of thousands of dollars to do PR and marketing. It works if it is done professionally. To get attention and to get people wanting to come: First you have to have something people want to see and experience. A product. Then you have to improve that product. Then you have to promote that product. Much of the private business is well promoted on the net but the public facilities are not. Web sites are not top notch when they should be and advertising is mediocre. Image is everything and if one wants interest you have to get out there and promote. I hear there is a new huge acquarium but where is it promoted ? And waht about the web site ? Is it world class ? If not it won't attract people. Business is very simple. In a recession one has to promote even more. Check out Malaysia's contast advertising. And they are good at it too. Chiang mai has alot to offer but needs PR and Marketing. They also need to think GREEN and eco friendly. This is the future of everything in the world and if a city wants to compete it has to think for the future. Stop allowing the burning of the fields and start to introduce green programs. It shows people one cares and is in with the modern times.

Edited by Gold2005