What Can Be Done To Increase Tourism To The Cm Area?

thailandlover

In years past people from all over Thailand used to come to Chiangmai to sample the delights of "Kampaengdin"

Now it's just a collection of tacky tourist shops. Restore it to it's former glory and we might see some increase in domestic tourism, but like everything else here, just wishful thinking :o

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In years past people from all over Thailand used to come to Chiangmai to sample the delights of "Kampaengdin"

Now it's just a collection of tacky tourist shops. Restore it to it's former glory and we might see some increase in domestic tourism, but like everything else here, just wishful thinking :D

You're hitting on my memory bud's again :o

You may improve the tourist numbers to CM if you can clear the roadblocks on streets in Bangkok so they can come north for the upcoming festivities. The local taxi/songtaw herd may wish to intervene on the behalf of the CM businesses and the good of the majority. Then again maybe they would decline.

Make CM a "sustainable" and people-friendly city. Build 100 km of dedicated bike paths. Cut automobile traffic around the moat in half. Provide clean, safe and reliable public transportation. Get rid of stray dogs. I guarantee you people will flock here once they hear about "the Paris of Asia".

It seems to me that tourism to CM is down this year and that people are complaining that bookings for Songklan are also way down.

So, the question is, what can be done to improve and increase tourism to Chiang Mai, either by the government or by individuals? What does CM need to do to attract tourists? Or are there just no tourists out there to attract?

Thailand has got to take a good hard look at them selves and do some thinking.

TG has been flying half empty planes so what do they do? "they put the fares up" not logical thing in a thinking world but Thailand is not a part of the thinking world.

Then you have the environmental disaster that visits Chiang Mai every February / March. Does any one really want to come here and have to wear a face mask? Even if it is not strictly necessary some folk think that it is.

Then there is the "red shirts" (OK the yellow shirts created some problems, but the red shirts are something else again, they are lunatics being egged on by a despot by the name of Thaksin)

Then you have the policy of "double pricing" why does anyone want to visit the realm and be screwed over in the process.

It really has nothing too much to do with the world economy.

I have as great a passion for Thailand as anyone but I ain't gonna glib over all the crap that is served up here. :o

Good summary of the reasons tourism is down, but also the otherv reason was Taksin and red shirts closing the airports. That didnty help the tourist image

Good summary of the reasons tourism is down, but also the otherv reason was Taksin and red shirts closing the airports. That didnty help the tourist image

That message courtesy of the Yellow Shirt 20/20 Hindsight Publicity Department....

(OK the yellow shirts created some problems, )

hahahah

That is like saying the sub prime loans created some problems but.....................

In any other country a group that takes over an International Airport would be called Terrorist & dealt with quickly. What they did for tourism is being felt now & for some time to come.

Edited by flying

I think the best and most logical answer would be to advertise Chiang Mai and Northern Thailand. What do most people do when they want to sell a product? If you don't advertise, your only business will be from people who already know you exist. It's obvious that these people are not coming to Chiang Mai this year. So the people who control the advertising resources need to attract new business.

Advertising for all of Northern Thailand will give the advertisers more to brag about. There are many attractions through out Northern Thailand that advertisers could use in their advertising campaigns. With this global economic crisis, whatever they were doing before, is obviously not working. They need to do some brain storming and re figure their target market. Then they need to open their wallet and spend some money.

Chiang Mai (CM) has a major airport and many tourist will fly straight into Chiang Mai to get to these other tourist destinations in Northern Thailand.

When I say advertise, I don't mean advertise in City-Life or Chiang Mai mail. If they are reading these magazines, they already know about Chiang Mai or they are already in Chiang Mai. They need to advertise in some places outside of Chiang Mai.

They might want to get some input from the Chiang Mai Chamber of Commerce (COC) or see if they can raise some extra money this year to increase tourism in the city. Perhaps the CM-COC could contact other chamber of commerce's in other cities and/or other countries and see if they can promote Northern Thailand that way.

That's my two satang's worth tonight. I hope it helps someone.

(OK the yellow shirts created some problems, )

hahahah

That is like saying the sub prime loans created some problems but.....................

In any other country a group that takes over an International Airport would be called Terrorist & dealt with quickly. What they did for tourism is being felt now & for some time to come.

And it is similar to what the red shirts are doing today in Bangkok. Until there is an actual democratic election that hasn't been "tampered" with, then the problem will be on going. Thaksin saw an opening where he could bribe the country folks to get votes. It worked until he got caught with his hand in the till. The yellow shirts could have done the same thing if they had been smart, but they didn't. For years they had everything THEIR way and didn't want to share. It came home to bite them on the azz. I don't have a clue how to fix it when people are so uneducated that they can't understand the most simple of problems.

Aside from the usual generally meaningless quick quips of some of the usual long-time resident TV Chiang Mai quipsters, this thread is interesting. This topic has been discussed before but it is a genuine ongoing issue.

There seem to be two sorts of responses: those of expatriates who have settled here and are trying to conduct decent businesses or at least support their GF/BF with some sort of daytime activity from their pensions and (2) those who look more broadly at the situation. I don't detect any Thai business people here. I know more than a few, and they wouldn't waste their time here. So, really what do TV posters know?

The obvious problems: general world economic situation, Thai political problems and demonstrations (Can you truly imagine the Thai loss of face at not being able to hold an ASEAN Conference in your own capital city --- or even the second best choice, Chiang Mai), Chiang Mai as a secondary destination for Thailand travelers, local pollution that is fierce seasonally (as now!) when you can't even see, except up close, the wonder of Northern Thailand's natural beauty. BS! For sex tourists, backpackers, and barflies, there is no problem, but they don't bring in a lot of money in the end, and some cause more than a few problems! Give them a free glass of water and let them go their way, for pete's sake!!

One thing is clear to me. those who post here seem generally to have made some expatriate accommodation to climate, but not to the culture except at the "employee" level." That gauntlet thrown, I leave it to the quipsters and others of different opinion!

One thing is clear to me. those who post here seem generally to have made some expatriate accommodation to climate, but not to the culture except at the "employee" level." That gauntlet thrown, I leave it to the quipsters and others of different opinion!

If you are trying to run a legitimate business then you DON'T HAVE TIME to play on a forum like TV. That doesn't mean that those of us that DO have time do not have sensible ideas. Only the uneducated would assume to know everything. Most of us here DO understand the major problem with tourism is the world economy. But, it is also a lack of forethought by the political leaders that ascerbates the problem.

What the tour operators and hotels have to do is make unbelievable luring offers to the residents in Thailand to travel. Even sell the rooms at a loss, just to create traffic.

Westerners would do this. The Thais rather just stay empty! :o

It is worse than that. The response to a slowdown in business is often to jack up prices. Cases in point. Jungle House in Khao Yai recently quoted me prices that were twice what they were last year. Just two days ago Asia Airport did the same. Good luck with that.

I am once again thinking of taking my annual 5 weeks vacation in Thailand.

However, I am worried. The problems with the demonstrators closing the airport(s) would be a nightmare for me. You see I work. I must be able to return to work according to schedule. If I don't do this. I could be in a lot of trouble. As a result I put my vacation plans on a slow boil. I have to see how all the political turmoil develops.

I retire in one year 2 months time. I might have to postpone spending time in Thailand till then. I look forward to spending most of my retirement years in Thailand.

I am fortunate in that I can afford to still travel to the other side of the world. Their are a few other options that I could consider. These options would probably be satisfactory for at least one vacation.

I love what Thailand does for me. But I have noticed some increasing hostility towards "Farangs". While I can understand and sympathize with the reasons that I believe underly this hostility. I don't like the way it makes me feel. I spend a lot of money in Thailand. But if you want my Baht then you need to treat me in a more welcoming manner. I don't feel welcomed when I am approached by scam artists or taken for a ride. Though I still feel welcomed enough for me and my life time accumulation of Baht to retire in Thailand. Mr. Baht however, will only be joining me in necessary groups.

Security is becoming more of a concern. Up to this point in time I have only encountered minor security issues myself. I can laugh these off. I do read the Pataya/Changmai newspapers. I don't want to be a victim of some random act of violence. I am almost 54 years old and not as physicaly resilient as I used to be.

I have a good friend who now lives in Changmai. He lived in Bangkok for years and loves it in Bangkok. He moved from Bangkok to Changmai because of his security concerns. He felt that he would under the current climate be safer in Changmai. This says a lot in terms of positives for Changmai. My friend is a very astute and intelligent man who could live any where in the world very comfortably. He chose Thailand as his retirement location. He has studied the Thai language and culture since his arrival in Thailand. He is now well on the way to be fluency in the Thai language. Our friendship is the main reason I would actually consider Changmai as my final retirement destination in Thailand. Though I actually prefer Pattaya/Jomtien. I know Pattaya/Jomtien very well. I have only been to Changmai once.

Edited by philliphn

Can you truly imagine the Thai loss of face at not being able to hold an ASEAN Conference in your own capital city --- or even the second best choice, Chiang Mai)

Real brainy to hold it in Patters.. Why not opt for a location in the South.. Would be very hard for the Reds to disrupt it there. Honestly I would have done it in Phuket. But then what do I know, I didn't go to Eton. :o

And it is similar to what the red shirts are doing today in Bangkok. Until there is an actual democratic election that hasn't been "tampered" with, then the problem will be on going. Thaksin saw an opening where he could bribe the country folks to get votes.

You still believe that line? Do you ever talk with the Thais you meet and get their opinion? (I know you meet plenty common Thai folk, I've seen the pictures. :o )

I don't have a clue how to fix it when people are so uneducated that they can't understand the most simple of problems.

Again that's a common Yellow line of thought. (not saying you're yellow, but you're echoing the sentiment). "They're poor and didn't go to university, how can they have an opinion on anything?!" Well guess what. If you (claim to) want to have democracy then that measn listening to them, too.

I am once again thinking of taking my annual 5 weeks vacation in Thailand.

However, I am worried. The problems with the demonstrators closing the airport(s) would be a nightmare for me.

I think that is VERY unlikely to happen. Both the Reds want to show they're 'better' than the other side, and also there's no way the army would allow it. It's not that hard to club people out of an airport, the only reason it didn't happen last time because the powers that be wanted to cause disruption and passively supported the Yellows. Those same powers-that-be are currenlty running the show (and will be for the foreseeable future) and will definitely now allow that to happen.

So also in your particular case I wouldn't worry about airports being closed.

What the tour operators and hotels have to do is make unbelievable luring offers to the residents in Thailand to travel. Even sell the rooms at a loss, just to create traffic.

Westerners would do this. The Thais rather just stay empty! :o

Naaww The Thai way is if you don't rent the room at your current price,,,,,,, increase the price....... After all you have to make back the money you lost last week.... whats so confusing about that. ?????

Edited by Gonzo the Face

My wife and I have visited Chiang Mai at least once a year for the last 10 or more years for shopping, visiting friends and just hanging out. We haven't in the last year however and don't plan to go anytime soon. The main reason is the political unrest both the demonstrations and the fact that the government doesn't seem to have the country under control. The airport closings looked very bad but only indicate that things can really get out of control and there is no one to set it right. In addition there seems to be more crime against tourists and the police are part of the problem or at times they are the problem.

Of course we are painfully aware of the constant raise in prices and dropping exchange rates. Thailand is no longer a bargain destination, so something needs to be done to make up for this. The response from the majority seems to be much fewer smiles in LOS. The last couple of times we came away feeling that we were imposing on the local population.

Also, perhaps because of the political unrest the other political deficiencies such as treatment of the people in the south and the people of Burma become more significant. Thailand has become seen by us and perhaps others as a rather racist and to some extent fascist state which isn't helped by putting people in prison for what they say about the ruling family.

I think right now Thailand doen't want tourists. I can understand that, I come from a tourist destination and frequently feel they are the problem and not the solution. So I'll do my part and stay home.

This is not directly CM related, but still relevant I think. I recently read in the largest Swedish business daily (Dagens Industri, 6 April) the following (my translation):

"One of the destinations that has been hardest hit is Thailand, where Phuket has fallen from second to eleventh place on the top list for Easter travel. There has been a certain decrease in long-haul travel. This is dependent on the economic situation, where people don't budget as much money for travel", says Martin Durnik, spokesperson for Ticket [one of the largest Swedish travel agencies].

Svenska Dagbladet (the second largest Swedish quality newspaper) has on the front page of its website today:

"Demonstrators stopped meeting

Government-critical Thai demonstrators blocked a hotell in Pattaya where the ASEAN countries at the weekend, which led the foreign ministers from China, Japan and South Korea to cancel a meeting."

Sweden is one of the largest sources of visitors to Thailand (third after UK and Germany in 2007), so Thailand's image as presented in the Swedish press is probably not unimportant. Normally Swedes will start planning their long-distance journeys for the next winter season (November-February) around this time of year :o

/ Priceless

Edited by Priceless

Speaking from the middle of a Songran-induced visit to Ubud, Bali, I can provide as one answer to the OP's question, have CM and its people become more like Ubud and its. My wife and I have both been surprised to find the Balinese people in Ubud noticeably nicer and friendlier than the people in Chiangmai (not that the people there are bad; we like most of them, but we notice a difference here), the restaurants at least as good, if not better (Thai food aside, of course), and that in a much smaller place, and the traditional culture much more vibrant and present.

And the air is wonderful! :o