Dhamma Books

camerata

• 2 weeks later...

Hey camerata,

Thanks for your contributions here. I was wondering if I could impose on you to do a short review on what you think are some good lit on buddhism for a FAQ and Intro to buddhism I'm compiling for here?

All others welcome to post their input as well.

cv

Hey camerata,

Thanks for your contributions here. I was wondering if I could impose on you to do a short review on what you think are some good lit on buddhism for a FAQ and Intro to buddhism I'm compiling for here?

All others welcome to post their input as well.

cv

Do you think this is really necessary, with so many web resources around, several of which have been cited in various threads in this branch?

Examples:

FAQs about Theravada Buddhism:

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/bfaq.html

What Buddhists Believe:

http://www.budsas.org/ebud/whatbudbeliev/main.htm

Both of the above are keyed to Theravada Buddhism, and they're pretty extensive.

I don't think compiling a list FAQs representing all schools of Buddhism is possible. Any question asked about Buddhism would require multiple answers, depending on the sect or school or text referred to.

Listing answers only for Theravada might be seen as discriminating against other schools (even though since this forum is concerned with Thailand, one could easily argue that Theravada is the most appropriate school of Buddhism for discussion here).

I like the idea of posting dhamma book reviews, although not necessarily as a pinned feature, but rather on an ad hoc basis, as the various participants read them. Pinning reviews of the books leans a bit towards the dogmatic, in my opinion, akin to saying "These are the best books about Buddhism."

That represents my general objection to proposing a Buddhism FAQs, since none of us here are true experts on Buddhism, particularly across multiple schools. I did my training (in another field) at a university where to receive your degree in Buddhist studies, you had to have a strong reading knowledge of seven languages (Sanrkrit, Pali, Prakrit, Tibetan and Chinese, plus one modern Asian and one modern European). I ended up concentrating on Theravada (with only Skrt and Pali, plus Thai), and am fairly knowledgable about that school, though still far from being an expert.

I think this is related to a topic previously brought up, i.e., whether we need guidelines in this branch. As this branch doesn't get a lot of traffic, and has been fairly non-controversial thus far, I don't see the need for a list of FAQs. We've never received a great deal of multiple posts on the same question (rebirth almost being an exception, with two separate threads initiated I believe, hardly necessitating management!).

Just my opinion as moderator of this branch. :o

Do you think this is really necessary, with so many web resources around, several  of which have been cited in various threads in this branch?

What exactly are we supposed to be here at Thaivisa? We could be one of those great web resources should we decide to develop this sub-forum, or I suppose it could be a place where we post links to other places. The former is more work but its the route I prefer. Otherwise why even have the forum if we just defer to other websites. I can guarantee that the web resources you cite didn't become great resources by sitting back and letting others do everything. Unless we take an active role doing things that enhance this sub-forum we may as well delete it and replace it with a page of Buddhism links.

cv

Do you think this is really necessary, with so many web resources around, several  of which have been cited in various threads in this branch?

What exactly are we supposed to be here at Thaivisa? We could be one of those great web resources should we decide to develop this sub-forum, or I suppose it could be a place where we post links to other places. The former is more work but its the route I prefer. Otherwise why even have the forum if we just defer to other websites. I can guarantee that the web resources you cite didn't become great resources by sitting back and letting others do everything. Unless we take an active role doing things that enhance this sub-forum we may as well delete it and replace it with a page of Buddhism links.

cv

The other websites you refer to are run by experts, often with a sectarian orientation. This branch of thaivisa.com is managed by two non-experts, with at least an attempt to be non-sectarian.

At the same time we're operating within the context of what's acceptable in Thailand vis a vis the two 'pillars' of Thai society, the monarchy and religion. That makes it a little different from other branches.

Ulitmately it depends on how one views the purpose of this forum branch. When first established, it wasn't intended to become a solid resource on Buddhism, rather simply a place where Buddhist members of thaivisa.com as well as non-Buddhists can discuss issues related to the diverse teachings? In the same way that the Fun Pub (is that what it's called?) isn't meant as a comprehensive guide to entertainment in Thailand, but rather a place where members exchange news and opinions about entertainment.

These are moderation issues that you & I should take up privately, I think.

• 4 months later...

There's another good resource at saigon.com. It has a number of publications by Venerable Henepola Gunaratana Mahathera, including Mindfulness in Plain English. I think that one and Eight Mindful Steps to Happiness are two of the clearest, most practical books on Theravada Buddhism that I've ever read.

Hey camerata,

Listing answers only for Theravada might be seen as discriminating against other schools (even though since this forum is concerned with Thailand, one could easily argue that Theravada is the most appropriate school of Buddhism for discussion here).

I sincerely hope that one doesn't argue that Theravada is the most appropriate school for discussion on this forum. Apart from the obvious exclusive sectarianism. It would also not reflect what's happening with Buddhism in Thailand a whole.

But I'm sure that his eventually will never happen.

It would also not reflect what's happening with Buddhism in Thailand a whole.

Is Mahayana on the rise in Thailand? The only non-traditional Buddhism I've seen among friends and colleagues so far is Thammakai. Is SGI becoming popular?

It would also not reflect what's happening with Buddhism in Thailand a whole.

Is Mahayana on the rise in Thailand? The only non-traditional Buddhism I've seen among friends and colleagues so far is Thammakai. Is SGI becoming popular?

Sorry for any delay in replying.

Yes the SGI is fairly large in Thailand with over 100,000 members. It also has 3 centres in Bangkok alone.

There's another good resource at saigon.com. It has a number of publications by Venerable Henepola Gunaratana Mahathera, including Mindfulness in Plain English. I think that one and Eight Mindful Steps to Happiness are two of the clearest, most practical books on Theravada Buddhism that I've ever read.

Apparently, this is the same information as the http://www.budsas.org/ebud/ebidx.htm site sabaijai listed earlier. One site is mirroring the other.