Thaksin's Close Family Leaves Thailand

george

am i missing something here....... was not ex mrs Thaksin supposed to be in jail?????

how can she leave the country?????

and how come all the details of people on flights are available?????

oh i forgot i am in Thailand!

Missing a lot. Not Mrs Thaksin anymore changed her name and did not do any time at all for her crimes. I think that the change of name did wonders for her respectability

ie not related to Mr T anymore, so no prison sentence.

Cheers, Rick.

Pokemon has been convicted (along with her brother and secretary) and sentenced to 3 years in prison (in a different case from her ex's conviction and 2 year prison sentence).

She is currently appealing that case (unlike Thaksin in his case) and is out on bail.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Potjaman-Shi...26.html&hl=

Potjaman Shinawatra Found Guilty Of Tax Evasion, Thaksin's wife and brother-in-law sentenced to prison

btw, her divorce and name change make not one bit of difference in her conviction nor her appeal.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

am i missing something here....... was not ex mrs Thaksin supposed to be in jail?????

Missing a lot. Not Mrs Thaksin anymore changed her name and did not do any time at all for her crimes. I think that the change of name did wonders for her respectability

Cheers, Rick.

Pokemon has been convicted (along with her brother and secretary) and sentenced to 3 years in prison (in a different case from her ex's conviction and 2 year prison sentence).

She is currently appealing that case (unlike Thaksin in his case) and is out on bail.

Potjaman Shinawatra Found Guilty Of Tax Evasion, Thaksin's wife and brother-in-law sentenced to prison

btw, her divorce and name change make not one bit of difference in her conviction nor her appeal.

In my country someone who was convicted, appealed and is "out on bail" has to surrender its passport to the court....

Wasn't she leaving the country yesterday?

I saw something on the Bangkok Post website where one of the PM's advisors, I think, is claiming Thaksin has been spotted in Cambodia (sorry can't find the piece to post a link).

Maybe the family are getting out before the current turmoil approaches the end game. :o

Who knows what is being plotted in smoky rooms behind closed doors. Whatever it is it is not a quiet family weekend get together.

I found this in the Bangkok Post breaking news section:

Thepthai: Thaksin sighted in Cambodia

By: bangkokpost.com

Published: 4/04/2009 at 12:48 PM

Fugitive former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra has allegedly been sighted in Cambodia, says Abhisit Vejjajiva's personal spokesman Thepthai Senpong. Thaksin was allegedly spotted near the residence of Cambodian prime minister Hun Sen.

Mr Thepthai said if this was true, the Cambodian government should clarify the matter with Thailand, similar to Lao PDR's manner when it made clear Thaksin was banned from entering its territory. The Ministry of Foreign Affairs was inspecting this issue.

And this on The Nation:

THAKSIN, WHERE ARE YOU?

Cambodia warned on ex-PM Thaksin

He said the Ministry of Foreign Affairs was trying to verify reports that Thaksin was spotted in Cambodia.

"If Cambodia loves Thaksin that much, the ties with Thailand will certainly have problems," said Kasit.

Thaksin, who has been convicted in a corruption case, has made nightly speeches through a video link-up from overseas to his supporters gathering outside Government House. Democrat Party figure Theptai Senapong claimed he was informed that Thaksin was seen in Cambodia recently.

(continued on web site)

I find it incredible how low level the discussion on this forum is allowed to go. Something to do with school holidays in Thailand maybe?

The Government is of course using this as PR material already. Why else would "sources" reveal travel information about a select number of people?

Whats the next news report? "Return for exile" after 3 days out of country?

For balance in between certain members fantasies, Bangkok Post have this on their news section:

Thaksin's family 'not running away'

By: BangkokPost.com

Published: 9/04/2009 at 11:13 AM Former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra's younger sister Yaowaret Shinawatra rejected suggesions Thaksin's close family had left the country because they were concerned about possible consequences of the United Front for Democracy against Dictatorship (UDD) mass protest.

Thaksin's family went abroad for business or holiday purposes and they would return to Thailand soon, Mrs Yaowaret said on Thursday.

They had no intention to flee the country, as the government suggested. Other members of the Shinawatra family were still in Thailand, she said.

On Tuesday night, Thaksin's ex-wife Khunying Potjaman Damapong and their daughter Paethongtan flew to Hong Kong. Another daughter Pinthongtha departed to England. Their son Panthongtae headed for Dubai in the United Arab Emirates.

Thaksin's brother-in-law and former prime minister Somchai Wongsawat also went to Dubai.

Mrs Yaowaret said it Mr Somchai could not possibly have fled the country since his wife Yaowapa Wongsawat was still in Thailand.

Rats deserting the sinking ship ?????

Wow..... what does that leave behind, you were probably at the airport demonstrating........ all this is going to start a civil war in Thailand..... wont be such a pretty place to live then..... ALL politicians are corrupt in Thailand..... at least Thaksin, has business sense, and the international community and financial markets respected him.. look at how the subsequent govts have handled or NOT HANDLED things since Thaksin was ilegally overthrown in 2006, even the current PM is too scraed to hold elections now, as he knows he doesnt have a mandate from the people....

Shinawatra family left Thailand

BANGKOK: -- Close family members of fugitive prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra quietly left Thailand on a series of flights on Tuesday, PM's Office Minister Sathit Wongnongtoey said on Wednesday.

Thaksin's former wife Khunying Potjaman Damapong and their daughter Paethongtan flew to Hong Kong. Another daughter Pinthongtha departed to England. Their son Panthongtae headed for Dubai in the United Arab Emirates.

Thaksin's brother-in-law and former prime minister Somchai Wongsawat also left the country, he said.

At the United Front for Democracy against Dictatorship rally in front of Privy Council president Prem Tinsulanonda's residence on Wednesday, UDD leader Nattawut said Thaksin had phoned him to voice his support for the red-shirt movement.

The deposed premier hoped that the country would achieve true democracy, Mr Nattawut said.

-- Bangkok Post 2009-04-08

i dont blame them.

they got samak for a cooking show.

they could give the children 10 years for blowing their noses if they wanted to

things are looking to get nasty.

best to play it safe.

I don't blame them either. The game's up - best cash out now with the millions and millions that they've 'acquired' since daddy took control of the keys of the nations coffers. Those that support such a dubious bunch might point out the old adage 'clogs to clogs in three generations'. Can't see the latest generation displaying much 'get and go! Oh, sorry, they just did.

I wish that piece of sh1t Chalerm and his pack of inbred, scummy mutants would also leave and never return. :o

As my wife and I watched the leaders arrive at the G20 summit in London last week, we saw Abhisit arrive. Were both happy to see this as we thought he is truly for the rebuilding of Thailand and he really cares about it. We both joked that if Chalerm were PM, could you imagine him at the summit? Putting his napkin under his chin, using the wrong knives and forks, asking people out to the car park for a fight, picking his nose and so on. Give me an Oxford graduate over a Klong Toey Primary school drop out any day. :D

Roll on the comments!!!

Couldn't agree more. Well said! Hope James is up there having a good titter about the mess going on in his former homeland. What did he object to? I guess I'll have to google him :D

Suprised it took so long to be mentioned. Yeah, I Just don't see anymore justice being meted out by the current regime than the previous lot. Why wasn't she banged up in the Bangkok Hilton instead of living the life of a Thai Phu Yai? Some things will never change but with American Presidents pardoning their predecessors I guess it's a well trodden path.

...the current PM is too scraed to hold elections now, as he knows he doesnt have a mandate from the people....

I disagree, AsiaMB. I think that if an election were to be held right now, the Democrats (with PM Abhisit leading them), would win. Maybe even with a slight majority.

Then again, what would it solve. The REDS would be out there demonstrating again...on the other hand, if the REDS one, the yellows would be out there demonstrating after the election, so what would be solved, by holding another election right now?

PM Abhisit, was supported by an open vote in Parliament, to become Prime Minister, after Khun Somchai had to step down.

I'm not saying, that I support all of PM Abhisit's platforms. I am against privatizations and I oppose the so called "Global Economy", but I do think, that for Thailand right now, he is a Statesman, who can handle himself well internationally and who can hold his own in a debate. If given a chance, in my opionion, he will help Thailand to regain some credibility internationally.

I thought, that talk about Thaksin would be history by now, but this seems to be an ongoing soap opera. I dont think it will go on forever, though.

Bringing his family to safety makes sense, but doing it, while asking protesters to bring their children to the Protests, is irresponsilbe and low.

Some of these protesters, and I'm not talking about the ones who were paid to bolster the numbers there, came there, because they believed, that Thaksin would ride in on his white horse (I guess in Thailand it would be Elephant) and lead them to victory, instead, the coward hides in some other countries, telling them now, to bring their children to the protests. That to me is very wrong.

In my country someone who was convicted, appealed and is "out on bail" has to surrender its passport to the court....

not the situation here

Wasn't she leaving the country yesterday?

yep

Edited by sriracha john

"I dont blame them. they got samak for a cooking show."

What a stupid comment!

- Surely the PM of any country should be spending his/her time focused on discussions / activities about running the country. not spending their time in the preparation of and actual filming of a TV cooking show!

What would happen if the President of the USA, the Chancellor Germany etc., etc., was doing this? The appropriate house of government would have them impeached and removed in 5 minutes, let alone the massive outcry that would come from the electorate.

Cheers, Rick.

Thank you s - john it would appear tha khun rick is the one that is missing something

and out on bail you do not have to surrender your passport, and you are allowed to leave the country??

Cheers, Rick.

Thank you s - john it would appear tha khun rick is the one that is missing something

and out on bail you do not have to surrender your passport, and you are allowed to leave the country??

yep.

Cheers, Rick.

Tongue in cheek SJ, but i still don't think that she will do any time.

Cheers, Rick

Cheers, Rick.

If you remember, that's what they did last time. They attended the Olympic games in china whilst on Bail and they did not return, but instead fled to the UK.

Sorry mate but i think that you are missing a sense of humour.

Cheers, Rick

Shinawatra family not running away

Published: 9/04/2009 at 11:13 AM

Former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra's younger sister Yaowaret Shinawatra dismissed the rumours that Thaksin's close family members travelled to other countries because they were concerned about the consequences from the United Front for Democracy against Dictatorship (UDD) mass rally.

Thaksin's family went abroad for business or holiday purposes and they would return to Thailand soon, Mrs Yaowaret said on Thursday.

She said they had no intentions to flee their country as the government claimed, and other members of the Shinawatra family are still in Thailand.

On Tuesday night, Thaksin's ex-wife Khunying Potjaman Damapong and their daughter Paethongtan flew to Hong Kong. Another daughter Pinthongtha departed to England. Their son Panthongtae headed for Dubai in the United Arab Emirates.

Thaksin's brother-in-law and former prime minister Somchai Wongsawat also went to Dubai.

Mrs Yaowaret said it would be impossible for Mr Somchai to flee the country since his wife Yaowapa Wongsawat is still in Thailand.

Source - http://www.bangkokpost.com/breakingnews/14...ot-running-away

Great PR material there if the Government has the wits to use it.

"Your so called hero of the people sends his family away on holiday while he asks you to sit in the hot sun and Protest on his behalf"

Patrick

Well, now the "wopper" followed suit - to make it look better!

Shinawatra family not running away

Published: 9/04/2009 at 11:13 AM

Former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra's younger sister Yaowaret Shinawatra dismissed the rumours that Thaksin's close family members travelled to other countries because they were concerned about the consequences from the United Front for Democracy against Dictatorship (UDD) mass rally.

She said they had no intentions to flee their country as the government claimed, and other members of the Shinawatra family are still in Thailand.

Mrs Yaowaret said it would be impossible for Mr Somchai to flee the country since his wife Yaowapa Wongsawat is still in Thailand.

Source - http://www.bangkokpost.com/breakingnews/14...ot-running-away

So while they let 100 000 people demonstrate to save the neck their father/brother( sorry to re-install democracy) they are going on holiday.

Nice to know

I'm no genius when it comes to polotics and find it hard to follow at times with so much going on.

However two things do jump out at me.

1. 20,000 taxis threatening to block all major roads a round Bangkok.

2. Taksins family leave on a so called holiday to several different desinaitions ( maybe they don't like each other :o )

I dread to think what will happen if all the roads get blocked and a lot of hard working people want to get back to see their Mums, Dads and kids they havent seen for ages.

If it happens one thing is for sure: tempers will hit boiling pont and there will be violence, which could get really out of hand.

There is little doubt who is behind it all and if violence spreads his family could be a great risk. Not if they aren't around though.

I reckon thaksin knew exactly what was/is coming and that's why the family is gone.

I am travelling from Hua Hin to Bangkok tomorrow and I hate to think what will happen if Rama 1V is closed or Asoke.

Great move! spoil your own people's New Year celebrations and show us how little you really care about them.

Why are these people so naive and can't see through this man?

Edited by George4

Because his family all left for different destinations doesn't mean they can't all end up in the same place. I very much doubt that they are concerned about their safety. I have a feeling that something else is going on.

Could be interesting. At any rate, I hope they have a nice Songkran holiday.

Because his family all left for different destinations doesn't mean they can't all end up in the same place. I very much doubt that they are concerned about their safety. I have a feeling that something else is going on.

Could be interesting. At any rate, I hope they have a nice Songkran holiday.

The whole thing is starting to smell very fishy....I hope that common sense applies all round. Would that a 7.62mm solve the problem? Perhaps not...In any case the family are not the problem, I to wish them a safe and happy Sonkran :o

...the current PM is too scraed to hold elections now, as he knows he doesnt have a mandate from the people....

I disagree, AsiaMB. I think that if an election were to be held right now, the Democrats (with PM Abhisit leading them), would win. Maybe even with a slight majority.

Then again, what would it solve. The REDS would be out there demonstrating again...on the other hand, if the REDS one, the yellows would be out there demonstrating after the election, so what would be solved, by holding another election right now?

PM Abhisit, was supported by an open vote in Parliament, to become Prime Minister, after Khun Somchai had to step down.

I'm not saying, that I support all of PM Abhisit's platforms. I am against privatizations and I oppose the so called "Global Economy", but I do think, that for Thailand right now, he is a Statesman, who can handle himself well internationally and who can hold his own in a debate. If given a chance, in my opionion, he will help Thailand to regain some credibility internationally.

I thought, that talk about Thaksin would be history by now, but this seems to be an ongoing soap opera. I dont think it will go on forever, though.

Bringing his family to safety makes sense, but doing it, while asking protesters to bring their children to the Protests, is irresponsilbe and low.

Some of these protesters, and I'm not talking about the ones who were paid to bolster the numbers there, came there, because they believed, that Thaksin would ride in on his white horse (I guess in Thailand it would be Elephant) and lead them to victory, instead, the coward hides in some other countries, telling them now, to bring their children to the protests. That to me is very wrong.

Kurt, why do you think Abhisit would win an election? I do not see any sign that backs this statement, thats because it is not true. If there would be another election and Thaksin would be allowed to run for office by the single power that matters (and we all know who that is) he would win again, no doubts at all. And Abhisit knows this, thats the reason why he will not ever allow fresh elections. He also knows the power that matters and the circle surrounding him (military and chinese business elite based in Bkk and the south) will always back him and will use violence to protect him, and in him themselves.

People here blaming Thaksin for corruption etc.. truly do not understand the nature of this conflict. Yes he was corrupt, as are virtually all people that are someone in Thailand. The nature of this conflict is the will to emancipate of the undereducated poor North and North-Eastern peoples (they themself just use Thaksin for their own gains) against the fear of loosing their grip of power of the educated Bkk based Chinese-Thai business elite (with the middle class) alongside the a mojority of the Southerners. The military backs the rich ones because they profit from them (same as western politicians never interfered with our bankers, after their terms they will be well paid advisors etc..: do not bite the hand you eat from). The military now forms a state within the state with their own businesses etc.. any change in power that treatens to realy shift the (in) balance of power can only worsen their position and for that reason will not be allowed).

And ofcourse Thaksin uses the poor for his own gains, and the poor do know he does, but why should they care??? They can go to a doctor for 30 Baht, they can get loans, they were someone when Thaksin was in charge, he took them serious (ofcourse just for their votes, but does that matter?) and they could improve their lifes, in short: they had a perspective.

The unforgiveable error in judgement Thaksin made was to flaunt with his support, to think he was invincible, to think he could break the power(s) that matter (and in that way secure his own powerbase for years to come). Now he pays the price. But to actually believe he was more corrupt then any other Thai is silly and shows an unwillingness/ inability to understand this country.

Please don't start using words like squarehead, spoiled brats etc.. Using these words just reveal you can not think independently and objective. I do not care for Thaksin, nor for Absihit, and not for Thailand at all (just another country), just don't let your view be blurred by personal feelings of sympathy or antipathy.

Sorry for my poor english, its quite hard to use the right tone and words when your not a native speaker.

MBL

P.S. Absihit is NOT a statesman, being able to speak english fluently and to be educated at Oxford really doesn't tell anything about your ability to govern a country, atleast he didn't show a single sign of statemanship or did he?

Edited by MayBeLater

http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/politics/140097/govt-knows-where-thaksin

Govt knows where Thaksin is

By: BangkokPost.com Published: 9/04/2009 at 06:28 PM The government knows where outlawed former premier Thaksin Shinawatra is hiding, but authorities in that country are not being helpful, Deputy Interior Minister Thaworn Senneam said on Thursday.

Thaksin could not be arrested because that country had not been at all cooperative , Mr Thaworn said.

The government had sent a special envoy to negotiate with this country, but it did not go as well as expected.

The name of the country could not be revealed yet, as the government wanted to work out the issue through diplomatic means.

It would be difficult to block Thaksin's phone-ins because other people using the same signal would also be affected by any action, the deputy minister said.

Maybelater, have you ever been curious to know how Thaksin amassed his wealth probably 10 fold in just 6 years during his premiership? Within 6 years how could his asset amassed to 8-10 billions of $. You would think it grew by itself?

Too bad the Nation didn’t do enough to explain his shady business deals. I can give you an example. The 76,000 billions of baht Thaksin is now fighting really hard for was the sales of his Shincorp to Singapore Temasek. Thaksin changed the law on Friday and sold his company on Monday so he could make it tax free. How he took over Shincorp was the result of the government contract that helped him become super rich. It was the government own business until they gave it to Thaksin. Thaksin made it clear that he could sell that government business legally and he could earn $$$ by himself TAX FREE.

The ex leader of Thailand is also the master of tax evasion. You would understand why the middle class hate him so much. They are the ones who pay taxes when the powerful, rich business men like Thaksin keep finding ways to cheat tax. Before he got involved in politics he was facing the tax evasion charges and found guilty. He hid his assets in different bank accounts of his wife, children, drivers, servants, friends, etc. Eventually the court allowed him to become a PM because of his ‘honest mistake’. He vowed not to cheat again. Guess what, he LIED.

He also interfered with the independent justice system. He would move people who’s not on his side. There would be no fair justice system for those who disagreed with him. Same with the military ranks would be moved to serve him well not to serve the country well.

When the media started to question him or criticize him, he would be angry and teach them a lesson. For example, Sondhi Lim was his big supporter but later started to question some of the government’s shady activities. Thaksin shut down his program. By doing that Thaksin really made a big mistake because he really underestimated Sondhi’s influence to his audience. Thaksin also tried to destroy Naewna newspaper and placed several lawsuits against the owner. Every court hearing he would make sure the hearing would be set in some remote area that has no airport near by. Thaksin would make his enemies suffer. In return , he has a growing list of people who hate him.

Of course,Thaksin knows how to win Thai election. But it doesn’t mean he’s a democratic figure. He might have done something good for the country poor but he’s also ruined the foundation of democratic system in Thailand. Before he has the right to cry for democracy, why doesn’t he respect the rule of law first? Let’s start by coming back to his motherland to fight all his cases in court then. Since every person in democratic country need to be equal, he has to lead by example.

No rats usually hide behind anon screen names, who are you to pass judgement on anyones children. idiot

Why is it necessary to label them as someone's children? For a start, everyone is someone's child. And for another thing, they aren't children at all - they are fully grown adults.

Quite some post there. First they are somone's child, hence they are children. This statement followed by " they aren't children at all".

You should at least have enough intelligence to recognize the contradiction.

What a moronic post!!!!!

everyone is someones child yet not considered a child at a certain age.

It is obvious that you do not have any Children.

Maybe you should enlighten all of us who have families and children exactly when our children are no longer our children.

As for me, my children will still be my children when i am 90 years old.

Suit yourself but don't try to peddle your silly family notions to justify your irrational politican leanings.

get that? :o

Thaksin is in Dubai. Everyone knows that. The UAE will not extradite him, forget about it. The fact that Abhisit makes a top secret out of it is laughable. Maybe Abhisit is concerned that someone will fly to Dubai and harm Thaksin? :o

http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/politics/140097/govt-knows-where-thaksin

Govt knows where Thaksin is

By: BangkokPost.com Published: 9/04/2009 at 06:28 PM The government knows where outlawed former premier Thaksin Shinawatra is hiding, but authorities in that country are not being helpful, Deputy Interior Minister Thaworn Senneam said on Thursday.

(My comment: They they name 1 country everyday, they will at least get one right is 4 months)

Thaksin could not be arrested because that country had not been at all cooperative , Mr Thaworn said.

(My comment: They don't give a darn about Thai governt)

The government had sent a special envoy to negotiate with this country, but it did not go as well as expected.

(My comment: But The envoy forgot to bring a suitcase full of Benjamin)

The name of the country could not be revealed yet, as the government wanted to work out the issue through diplomatic means.

(My comment: Ofcasue they can't name it, as they are still guessing 1 country everyday)

It would be difficult to block Thaksin's phone-ins because other people using the same signal would also be affected by any action, the deputy minister said.

(My comment: Bullshit; Did the Thai govt care when they block YouTube for months sometime back?)

Is this the new acceptable format for posting Bangkok Post articles on the forum?

:o

Edited by sriracha john

I think Thaksin has got his ratpack out of Thailand because he's hoping for civil war.

Fully agree with you, otherwise, his children and family members no need to fly out of Thailand. Only those red shirted idiots are protesting and to die for him.