Good Places To Eat In Chiang Mai

astral

sabaijai:- If you drive along the 2nd ring road, from the Hang Dong, all the way around until you get to Rim Ping Plaza/Rom Chok market. Go through the lights or on the underpass as if you were headed to Mae Rim, keep an eye on the openings that allow you to take a U- turn, as though heading back towards Rim Ping, and take the 3rd one. You should then be headed back towards the market, after a short while you will see a large nightclub on your left. Immediately after this building there is a small slip road infront of a plumbers supply store. Take this turn and some 20 yards down there on the right is a small Thai restaurant, with a little car park. I urge you to try this place.

I eat there about once per month. The food is very good and my girlfriend raves about the chicken, which she calls in advance about availability (as it takes a day to prepare I'm told). Lots of mosquitoes though.

Description of the chicken dish please?

It's not my favorite, so I don't eat much of it, but it looks like it's flattened and grilled. I guess the part that takes trhe time is some kind of herb marinade. The chicken includes some parts I usually don't eat, like the back, which my girlfriend loves. They have a herb and lemongrass salad there that I do love and some mushroom dishes that are delicious. She's out now or I'd be able to give you more info.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

sabaijai:- If you drive along the 2nd ring road, from the Hang Dong, all the way around until you get to Rim Ping Plaza/Rom Chok market. Go through the lights or on the underpass as if you were headed to Mae Rim, keep an eye on the openings that allow you to take a U- turn, as though heading back towards Rim Ping, and take the 3rd one. You should then be headed back towards the market, after a short while you will see a large nightclub on your left. Immediately after this building there is a small slip road infront of a plumbers supply store. Take this turn and some 20 yards down there on the right is a small Thai restaurant, with a little car park. I urge you to try this place.

I eat there about once per month. The food is very good and my girlfriend raves about the chicken, which she calls in advance about availability (as it takes a day to prepare I'm told). Lots of mosquitoes though.

Description of the chicken dish please?

It's not my favorite, so I don't eat much of it, but it looks like it's flattened and grilled. I guess the part that takes trhe time is some kind of herb marinade. The chicken includes some parts I usually don't eat, like the back, which my girlfriend loves. They have a herb and lemongrass salad there that I do love and some mushroom dishes that are delicious. She's out now or I'd be able to give you more info.

Ok know what you are describing - It looks like a portuguese chicken - kinds like it has been run over by a steamroller and then barbequed. I really like it with the lime and chilli sauce - delicious but lethal :D

I doubt it most of the readers here will like it - no bun, no special sauce, and no flamin' pickles :o

Thanks for the information - I will add it to the list of places to go back to

Well after all this time my wife and i decided to try "The Dukes".. Without a word of a lie, hands down "THE BEST WESTERN FOOD IN CHIANG MAI).. The pizza was superb and giant sized at that. The steak and seafood combo was perfect, the side dishes of salad and focaccia bread were huge and almost a meal in themselves.. Service was good with iced water served before you even order. Parking was a breeze also. I am just glad i never found it sooner due to my (pathetic) attempt at a diet.. Worth every satang. :o

Well after all this time my wife and i decided to try "The Dukes".. Without a word of a lie, hands down "THE BEST WESTERN FOOD IN CHIANG MAI).. The pizza was superb and giant sized at that. The steak and seafood combo was perfect, the side dishes of salad and focaccia bread were huge and almost a meal in themselves.. Service was good with iced water served before you even order. Parking was a breeze also. I am just glad i never found it sooner due to my (pathetic) attempt at a diet.. Worth every satang. :o

Take that sabaijai! :D

Well after all this time my wife and i decided to try "The Dukes".. Without a word of a lie, hands down "THE BEST WESTERN FOOD IN CHIANG MAI).. . . I am just glad i never found it sooner due to my (pathetic) attempt at a diet.. Worth every satang. :D

Sounds like that restaurant puff will be realized in your own puff soon. :o:D

Try LA GONDOLA. Its the best Italian food I've had in CM. Staff and owner very Friendly. Pleasant atmosphere close to the Ping, with live guitar music in the evening. NO SERVICE CHARGE. Owner has even offered me 10% discount if pay by cash (no cc).

Well after all this time my wife and i decided to try "The Dukes".. Without a word of a lie, hands down "THE BEST WESTERN FOOD IN CHIANG MAI).. . . I am just glad i never found it sooner due to my (pathetic) attempt at a diet.. Worth every satang. :D

Before Dukes..post-31110-1173937191_thumb.jpg After Dukes..post-31110-1173937281_thumb.png

Before Dukes..post-31110-1173937191_thumb.jpg After Dukes..post-31110-1173937281_thumb.png

Wow! That After Dukes shot becomes especially scary when you notice it has been reduced by 62%.

Downunder Steakhouse and Thai Resturant on Nimmenhemin Rd does the best Fish N Chips in Chiangmai. They will have Aussie rules on the big screen when the season starts. And the owners a nice bloke as well. :D:o

Well that's my weekends set from April 1 to last Saturday in September

So can I get a beer there or do we have to eat as well?

(weeeeeee're the pride of Souuuuuuuuuuuuuuuth OrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrDrelia Weeeeeeeeeeeeee're the MIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIGHTY AD'laid Croooooows)

Downunder Steakhouse and Thai Resturant on Nimmenhemin Rd does the best Fish N Chips in Chiangmai. They will have Aussie rules on the big screen when the season starts. And the owners a nice bloke as well. :D:o

Well that's my weekends set from April 1 to last Saturday in September

So can I get a beer there or do we have to eat as well?

(weeeeeee're the pride of Souuuuuuuuuuuuuuuth OrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrDrelia Weeeeeeeeeeeeee're the MIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIGHTY AD'laid Croooooows)

Yeah theres a fully stocked bar with icy cold beers ( VB and Crownies when he can get them) meat pies and all the other good stuff to get you through the footy.. I guess you could even request cold pies and warm beer , it would be just like being at the footy matches.. Go Dons... See the bombers fly up, up to ....

Downunder Steakhouse and Thai Resturant on Nimmenhemin Rd does the best Fish N Chips in Chiangmai.

Have you tried the fish and chips at the Laughing Lephrechan? They are the best that I have had in CM, so if Downunder is even better, I want to give it a try.

Where is the laughing leprechaun? My better half loves fish and chips! We went to Mad Dog the other week and the fish had obviously been frozen and was lacking in taste. The highlight of the night was when the patronising waitress told my wife - who lived in Scotland for almost 3 years - the chips were another word for french fries!

Where is the laughing leprechaun? My better half loves fish and chips! We went to Mad Dog the other week and the fish had obviously been frozen and was lacking in taste. The highlight of the night was when the patronising waitress told my wife - who lived in Scotland for almost 3 years - the chips were another word for french fries!

Laughing Leprechaun is in the little soi next to John's Place on the inside road from the moat dirctly opposite the top end of Loi Kroh. It does a good breakfast and the guy who runs it is a nice guy. I haven't bought any from there but have been told you can buy the soda bread from him, if correct grab a loaf because it is very nice. The restaurant has Guiness on tap which is also an added bonus on those cold, blustery nights in CM city :o

Can I put ice in my guiness?

I did - got a few unbelieving glares from a mix of locals and tourist Irish but I'll drink it how I like :o

btw - I didn't send my eMail of congratulations and best wishes to you and Mrs Dan Sai re the baby. I am happy for you both and hope everything goes well.

Thanks - we are going back to Scotland soon and I sold our car a month ago - I really hate riding on a bike with a pregnant women - so we take song taews everywhere now!

Ours came home on the bike :o He rarely goes in a car and doesn't like them - much prefers sitting on his divvie seat

Agree that the fish and chips at Laughing Leprechaun is excellent. It is almost the only dish I ever get there, and I must have been more then ten times by now. The owner, who is a mensch, as I used to hear people say in New York, gets in Atlantic cod, expensively, to make it, and it is oh-so-right. He has Guiness on tap, and it too is excellent and almost the only drink I drink there. Never crossed my mind to put ice in it, to answer one earlier question, but I imagine you could get them to bring some ice on the side, if you were of such a mind.

Agree that the fish and chips at Laughing Leprechaun is excellent. It is almost the only dish I ever get there, and I must have been more then ten times by now. The owner, who is a mensch, as I used to hear people say in New York, gets in Atlantic cod, expensively, to make it, and it is oh-so-right. He has Guiness on tap, and it too is excellent and almost the only drink I drink there. Never crossed my mind to put ice in it, to answer one earlier question, but I imagine you could get them to bring some ice on the side, if you were of such a mind.

I have to ask, what is a Mensch?

I know that adding ice to a Guiness is almost an act of sacreledge but so is drinking it in 30C temperatures. I usually take a good mouthfull of the stuff and then the girls will add the ice for me. I hate drinking any ale/beer/stout that isn't cold. When I went back to Oz last year I automatically added ice to my beer in a bar and the whole place went dead quiet. As is typical in Oz someone had to walk over and ask the reason so I told him "I like me beer cold" As is also typical of Australians the reason can be stupid but they will accept that it. :o

Agree that the fish and chips at Laughing Leprechaun is excellent. . . . . The owner, who is a mensch, as I used to hear people say in New York . . . . . has Guiness on tap . . . . . Never crossed my mind to put ice in it, to answer one earlier question . . . . .

I know that adding ice to a Guiness is almost an act of sacreledge but so is drinking it in 30C temperatures. I usually take a good mouthfull of the stuff and then the girls will add the ice for me. I hate drinking any ale/beer/stout that isn't cold. When I went back to Oz last year I automatically added ice to my beer in a bar and the whole place went dead quiet. As is typical in Oz someone had to walk over and ask the reason so I told him "I like me beer cold" As is also typical of Australians the reason can be stupid but they will accept that it. :o

A mensch, as my dictionary has it, is a Yiddish word for a "decent, upright, mature and responsible person". I always thought of it as meaning something more like a "good guy" or a "regular guy". Anyway, all of the foregoing apply to the owner of the Laughing Leprechaun, in my book.

Oh, and no groans from me on your liking ice in your Guinness. I wouldn't do it because I wouldn't want to dilute the wonderful richness, but that's me. I love ice in my Singh, though, so I'm no purist.

Agree that the fish and chips at Laughing Leprechaun is excellent. . . . . The owner, who is a mensch, as I used to hear people say in New York . . . . . has Guiness on tap . . . . . Never crossed my mind to put ice in it, to answer one earlier question . . . . .

A mensch, as my dictionary has it, is a Yiddish word for a "decent, upright, mature and responsible person". I always thought of it as meaning something more like a "good guy" or a "regular guy". Anyway, all of the foregoing apply to the owner of the Laughing Leprechaun, in my book.

I didn't know what a "mensch" was either, but it describes Dominick well. I like the food at the Laughing Leprechaun a lot, but the service is even better! :o

Edited by Ulysses G.

I didn't know what a "mensch" was either, but it describes Dominick well. I like the food at the Laughing Leprechaun a lot, but the service is even better! :o

Yes, but the shame of it is -- or maybe it's all to the good, as I think about it -- he seems to be a happy soul who has nothing to with computers or the internet, so it is unlikely he will ever realize that he and his establishment are being spoken so highly of here.

I didn't know what a "mensch" was either, but it describes Dominick well. I like the food at the Laughing Leprechaun a lot, but the service is even better! :D

Yes, but the shame of it is -- or maybe it's all to the good, as I think about it -- he seems to be a happy soul who has nothing to with computers or the internet,

therein may be the clue :D

so it is unlikely he will ever realize that he and his establishment are being spoken so highly of here.

Then it is up to one of our regular readers and imbibers of his victuals to advise him accordingly - either that or just tell him when some goes there for a feed. I am unfortunately unlikely to see him in a while - down 5 kilos from 98 and need to do another 6 :o

Sorry Mikes but the "Dukes Burgers Rock".. I tried the bacon and blue cheese burger and a green salad with Greek dressing on the side..WOW.. My wife had the Ceasar salad and couldn't even finish it because of the size.. After trying the burgers there i will not be able to face a "Mikes" again..

Sorry Mikes but the "Dukes Burgers Rock".. I tried the bacon and blue cheese burger and a green salad with Greek dressing on the side..WOW.. My wife had the Ceasar salad and couldn't even finish it because of the size.. After trying the burgers there i will not be able to face a "Mikes" again..

Ok I am still having problems with the concept of eating a burger with blue cheese on it but that aside it sounds "interesting" The wife is working this Friday so I think I will either head there or the Downunder for dinner.

As and aside to this - WARNING WARNING ARH ROOOOGAAAAH ARH ROOOOOGAH

There is a Mike's burgers in the Peak Bar area - this filled the regulars occupying bar space with a great deal of anticipation. I have had confirmed three cases of food poisoning coming from there on different times. Since it opened, I have had two burgers and both times they were NOTHING close to the original Mike's let alone a Duke or CM Saloon. I don't know what they are doing to it but they are really bad burgers. It took 40 minutes to get my last burger from the shop to the bar and came without fries or a drink but still charged for the combination. The bar pays them upfront and then oncharges on the tab. I had to pay the bar because they get caught in the middle and can't get a refund but I will not buy another one there again.

Not happy Jan

:o

Austhaied is obviously a man of culture, breeding and good taste! :o