Good Places To Eat In Chiang Mai

astral

Heading back on topic, thanks for the note about the Malaysian place, tigerbeer.

I like Tai Zi for Malaysian food in Chiang Mai. When I visited yesterday, I was happy to find that they added Hot Pot Rice with chix, salty fish, and black mushroom (it was yummy!), and a few other new dishes on their menu. Overall, their menu leans towards Malay/Chinese food, versus the heavy spiced curry dishes. The only item that screams Malaysian on the menu is the Buk Kut Teh, a traditional Malaysian herb and pork bone soup. They also have a few dim sum dishes, and a pretty good set lunch menu, the 49B set includes Hainanese chicken and rice, soup, a small plate of Chinese brocolli with oyster sauce and a glass of chrysenthenum tea.

The restaurant is located on Si Phum Road, about a block from the Jazz Co-op Cafe heading towards Chiang Mai Ram. Their restaurant name is in Thai, it is part of the Coca-cola restaurant sign...and it is located right next to the music equipment store.

now that you mentioned hot pot chicken rice, ok thats malaysian. think the owners are singaporeans if not mistaken. more chinese oriented malaysian cooking. i have had some chicken rice packed there some time back and it was good. wish they had some laksa, nasi lemak, rendang, fish curry. u know something authentically malaysian.

thanks for the update though. will try Tai Zi's hot pot chicken rice with black mushrooms! :o

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Been eating at Tai Zi quite often the past month...their set lunch prices are a great place for a delicous square meal as chinagal mentioned. Most of the menu items are between 30-80 baht...kinda the sweet spot for me where I can go often and not purge my wallet. Also, some menu items have two prices for larger or smaller portions which is nice. They deliver but not sure how far. Nice family-run restaurant.

I love the Buk Kut Teh soup but it may be an aquired taste for some.

The other day I was at the new Dukes near the night bazaar. I was not very impressed. First of all it's a rather smallish place with all the tables very close together, and an open kitchen. That means it's quite noisy. Not the perfect place for private conversations. I agree it's noisy all over Thailand, but in the case I have to pay THB 700 plus for a steak, I expect something better than that.

About the food, It's true they serve large portions of meat. But I'd rather have less, but a better quality. This place can be recommended for lumberjacks, but anybody else should think twice about it.

By the way, I was there with my 7 seven year old daughter, who had one of the children menus. She didn't like it at all. Afterwards I had to treat her at the Mc Donald next door.

The other day I was at the new Dukes near the night bazaar. I was not very impressed. First of all it's a rather smallish place with all the tables very close together, and an open kitchen. That means it's quite noisy. Not the perfect place for private conversations. I agree it's noisy all over Thailand, but in the case I have to pay THB 700 plus for a steak, I expect something better than that.

About the food, It's true they serve large portions of meat. But I'd rather have less, but a better quality. This place can be recommended for lumberjacks, but anybody else should think twice about it.

By the way, I was there with my 7 seven year old daughter, who had one of the children menus. She didn't like it at all. Afterwards I had to treat her at the Mc Donald next door.

I'm a pretty big fan of Duke's. However, the pizza at the night bazaar location is different from the river location--didn't much care for it. Sat downstairs, didn't really mind any noise. The ribs are hit and miss--as someone else said, usually it is because of supplier quality. I'll keep going to the river location for the pizza.

My son likes the hotdog and mac and cheese, and also the ham and cheese sandwich. Worked for us... though we sometimes hit McD's too.

The last two times I have ate at Dukes at Night Bazaar, had the Chicken fried chicken...very delicious and well priced I thought at 180 Baht ( I think). I also sat upstairs both times. Nice and quite. previous time, sat downstairs, a little noisy, but certainly not unbearable ! Ordered a Duke Burger and they made the wrong one, took it back no problem and delivered the right one to me.

so it is unlikely he will ever realize that he and his establishment are being spoken so highly of here.
Then it is up to one of our regular readers and imbibers of his victuals to advise him accordingly - either that or just tell him when some goes there for a feed. I am unfortunately unlikely to see him in a while - down 5 kilos from 98 and need to do another 6 :o

Stopped in tonight at the Laughing Leprechaun because I wanted some fish and chips, and saw these posts recommending it. Agree with the sentiments--great fish and chips, and Dominic was indeed a swell guy. I let him know I read good things on thaivisa, and he said, "Yeah, we get a good write up on there sometimes."

Food was excellent, and the service was even better. The ladies were watching our table constantly and filling the water glasses frequently. Very friendly and very accomodating to my young son.

I've ridden and walked past the place dozens, maybe even hundreds of times, since I live in the neighborhood, and I'd never looked twice. A shame that it isn't more visible from the street. Dominic did mention that a hotel was going up next door and that might increase some traffic, and he said he might be renovating the place a bit to improve the atmosphere.

Will definitely visit again...

I agree, The Laughing Leprechaun is indeed a very nice place with great food and a nice owner, and probably the cleanest kitchen in Thailand.

The only reason I don't go there many times are the big portions. For a normal eater it's just too much. But in the case you like western food and you are very hungry, that's the place to go.

For those in search of a delicious and authentic Chinese restaurant in Chiang Mai...may I highly recommend Shanghai Restaurant located off the Superhwy in the new 'Chinatown' complex just past the CM Museum at the MaeRim Rd U-turn.

I've had a chance to eat at Shanghai Restaurant a few times the past month and they are by far the most refreshing and delicious meals I've had in CM this past year (yes-yes, the Dukes is delicious too :o ) There is a nice variety in the menu with a handful of dimsum (fresh) selections as well. Best to go with a group of four or more and eat family-style in order to sample more dishes. The menu is in chinese/thai and they have another one with english, both have helpful pics of the dish. Prices are around 30-140baht. The owners and staff speak Mandarin and I think their English is better than their Thai.

I'm not very good at remembering the names of dishes but here are some quick recommendations: the sweet and sour soup, the dumplings (either steamed or pan-fried), any dimsum dish, pork wrapped with green pepper (italian-sounding name like pepperini-something), the egg with tomato, and another dish with an italian name on the menu, I think if was sliced eggplant stuffed with minced chicken or pork and deepfried in a tempura batter.

Anyway, the place is failry new and i hope they stick around...it's delicious. There's a small dimsum place across the parking lot as well and I hope to give it a try soon. I did not see any pizza or burger joints...yet. Parking is available inside the Chinatown complex.

A couple of months ago a book was published called "The 600 best restaurants of Thailand". I think 14 of them are located in Chiang Mai.

Three of them I know personally.

- Dukes - already much discussed here

- Giorgio - In my opinion the best Italian restaurant in Chiang Mai I know. Very good pasta, but tasty meat dishes as well.

- Mi Casa - Very good indeed. In France they would call a place like this "un restaurant gastronomique". Fantastic continental food. Rather expensive. But at lunch time, they've got a special lunch menu e.g a three course menu would cost then THB 300.

Edited by cnxmike

I've had a chance to eat at Shanghai Restaurant a few times the past month and they are by far the most refreshing and delicious meals I've had in CM this past year (yes-yes, the Dukes is delicious too :D )

I LOVE good Chinese food. Thanks for sharing! :o

I've had a chance to eat at Shanghai Restaurant a few times the past month and they are by far the most refreshing and delicious meals I've had in CM this past year (yes-yes, the Dukes is delicious too :D )

I LOVE good Chinese food. Thanks for sharing! :o

Yeah, thanks ihop! I can't wait to check out the restaurant. Hopefully, they make one of the all time favorite Shanghainese dish, Shao Lung Bao (steam pork dumpling with broth inside them). I love and miss good Chinese food!

And the Mekong Restaurant in Changklan Plaza has pretty authentic Chinese food as well. Enjoy!

Stopped in tonight at the Laughing Leprechaun because I wanted some fish and chips, and saw these posts recommending it. Agree with the sentiments--great fish and chips, and Dominic was indeed a swell guy. I let him know I read good things on thaivisa, and he said, "Yeah, we get a good write up on there sometimes."

Food was excellent, and the service was even better. The ladies were watching our table constantly and filling the water glasses frequently. Very friendly and very accomodating to my young son.

I've ridden and walked past the place dozens, maybe even hundreds of times, since I live in the neighborhood, and I'd never looked twice. A shame that it isn't more visible from the street. Dominic did mention that a hotel was going up next door and that might increase some traffic, and he said he might be renovating the place a bit to improve the atmosphere.

Will definitely visit again...

I too stopped by there for the first time tonight and tried the fish and chips. The food quality was great and the service was as others have quoted on Thaivisa, fantastic.

The only problem I encountered was the cigarette smoke smell inside. There were only a few people at the bar section that did not appear to be smoking, so I guess it's the natural process of cigarette smoke which gets ingrained into everything it touches. I have a very bad allergy to cigarette smoke so I asked to move to an outside table which they gladly accommodated. It was much hotter then inside, but much better for me. I would suggest any non-smokers that are bothered by cigarettes smoke to eat outside. :o

@chuchok

Nevr had a bad meal at Mad Dogs.Had a curried chicken pizza the other day and it was fantastic,They must have put half a chicken on the bloody thing

I'm afraid, you probably will never be a regular customer at "Mi Casa".

Edited by cnxmike

Yeah, thanks ihop! I can't wait to check out the restaurant. Hopefully, they make one of the all time favorite Shanghainese dish, Shao Lung Bao (steam pork dumpling with broth inside them). I love and miss good Chinese food!

And the Mekong Restaurant in Changklan Plaza has pretty authentic Chinese food as well. Enjoy!

I believe they do...on the menu, it's "xiaolong of xianghai" and it's awesome. Our daughter orders it everytime. 30 baht for 5 dumplings. For the newbie...wait for it to cool abit and then pop the whole dumpling in your mouth so you don't have broth dripping everywhere. :o

Shanghai Restaurant has a more complete menu now that includes meal sets ranging from 185 baht to 1680 baht. And gone are the italian-sounding names I mentioned, replaced with translations "Fried Aubergine with stuffed pork" (eggplant) and "Green pepper with RKstuff"?

Also, the dimsum place across the parking lot offers Guangdong-style dimsum (Cantonese) while Shanghai Rest. offers Shangainese-style.

And thanks for the Mekong rec...will give it a try.

Yesterday I was at the Central Airport Plaza. At the groundfloor just opposite the aquarium is a new pizza and pasta place called Spicchio.

Great pizzas indeed. Probably the best pizza dough I ever had in Chiang Mai.

Edited by cnxmike

Yesterday I was at the Central Airport Plaza. At the groundfloor just opposite the aquarium is a new pizza and pasta place called Spicchio.

I had some of their pasta. was indeed very good. Fettucine w/ Carbonara sauce, bacon and ham. Yummy for 125THB. Will try the pizza next time.

Any updates on Palaad Tawanron? Most info here on the site is two years old, some more recent. Reviews are mixed.

Anybody eat here recently?

I drove up there the other night just to get the location and have a look, and it was packed with Thais, even late at night. The ambience obviously was spectacular. But if the food isn't good, what's the point?

Thanks...

My g/f and I took some Aussie friends there last week and most of the food was good except we had a squid stuffed with squid egg dish. I ate most of it as it was right in front of me :o but boy did I pay for it a few hours later. Hot and cold flushes, screaming headache and I threw up everwhere as well as a constant flow in the toilet. The most severe case of food poisoning I've had in a while and I guess this was my body expelling the stuff. When I ate the squid it did seem a little 'off' to me but I ate in anyway (idiot I am!!!. We have a been there a few times and as I said, generally the food is great, hopefully this was a one off occasion. It was and is usually is busy so the food turnover would be quick I would imagine. Apart from that instance, it was good, great atmosphere and view.

Edited by wadsy

Had lunch at Spicchio today...a slice of ham/bacon and another slice of spinach/mushroom pizza plus a ham/potatoe calzone. all good stuff. I wish they gave a discount on a full pie...8 slices at 50 baht is 400 baht, ouch. Nice little place with great view of the fish tank.

If I was there with any ANY seven year old, I'm sure they would choose Mcdonalds over any other restaurant! :o

HI are taking applications for VIP cards if anyone never got around to it when it was the Sheraton. Reduces price of Sunday buffet from 550 to 450baht.

Anybody know if the standard Holiday Inn "kids eat for free" applies to the buffet? I know that kids can order for free from the children's menu if accompanied by a paying adult, but not sure about the buffet.

Thanks...

As an all-around good place which serves Italian, Mexican, American and Thai dishes with pleasant consistency I recommend Art Cafe. It is just outside the moat on the three-way corner opposite the brick plaza next to Thaipai gate.

Great cheesecake, too.

While it may not be the final word in top class dining, I have to say that I had the best kebab last night (or this morning :o ) at Woody's – it really did the trick and with a little cheese added it was excellent. Of course, I will have to try one when I am sober to see if it really was as good as I thought – anyone got any thoughts on good kebabs in Chiang Mai?

I had Zen Sushi at the mall the other day and followed it with ONE slice from Spiccio's just to check it out.

Pretty good slice! :o

I had Zen Sushi at the mall the other day and followed it with ONE slice from Spiccio's just to check it out.

Just one UG? :D come on, you could have done another one ! i'll buy you one the next time.

Since UG mentioned the Zen. Maybe we could discuss the type of restaurants you find all over Thailand mostly in shopping malls and department stores.

For japanese food I like Zen and Fuji.

Once in while I enjoy eating at MK. The new Coca branch at the Airport Plaza isn't running well, although they have the same concept as MK. How come?

At Sizzler I like the salad buffet but not the steaks. I don't like much the food at Black Canyon, although their coffee is good.

I don't like much Oishi I'd rather eat at Hachiban.

Just one UG? :D come on, you could have done another one ! i'll buy you one the next time.

I had just eaten Sushi and wasn't too full. TWO slices of pizza would have gone over the line though!

I don't know Oishi and Hachiban, but they sound Japanese. Can you tell me more?

Any updates on Palaad Tawanron? Most info here on the site is two years old, some more recent. Reviews are mixed.

Anybody eat here recently?

I drove up there the other night just to get the location and have a look, and it was packed with Thais, even late at night. The ambience obviously was spectacular. But if the food isn't good, what's the point?

Thanks...

My g/f and I took some Aussie friends there last week and most of the food was good except we had a squid stuffed with squid egg dish. I ate most of it as it was right in front of me :o but boy did I pay for it a few hours later. Hot and cold flushes, screaming headache and I threw up everwhere as well as a constant flow in the toilet. The most severe case of food poisoning I've had in a while and I guess this was my body expelling the stuff. When I ate the squid it did seem a little 'off' to me but I ate in anyway (idiot I am!!!. We have a been there a few times and as I said, generally the food is great, hopefully this was a one off occasion. It was and is usually is busy so the food turnover would be quick I would imagine. Apart from that instance, it was good, great atmosphere and view.

Yup been to this great place not so long back - pretty busy place - food we had was Northern, is quite an extensive menu of Thai food. Good service and friendly people. You saw the view yourself, nice just at night with good views back over the city. Not the cheapest place to eat, but we were happy with the quality.

Enjoy

Concerning the Palaad Tawanron, I agree a great location with a great view. Their food - well it is this standard Thai food- didn't convince that much. In the case I ever should go there again, it certainly won't be because their food.

@UG

Oishi Ramen and Hachiban are located in the Airport Plaza at the 4th floor. They are serving japanese ramen (noodles) soups. Great, if you are not that hungry, and want a tasty and quick snack.