Good Places To Eat In Chiang Mai

astral

I was just in Chiang Dao (transiting through on motorbike trip) this past Sunday. Just read up about both restaurants in Lonely Planet.

Methinks I might plan a sojourn soon to check out the caves, and try #1 & #2. It's not that far away, and the mountain roads are beautiful for motorcycle riding. Thanks for the tip, lannarebirth!

McG

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was just in Chiang Dao (transiting through on motorbike trip) this past Sunday. Just read up about both restaurants in Lonely Planet.

Methinks I might plan a sojourn soon to check out the caves, and try #1 & #2. It's not that far away, and the mountain roads are beautiful for motorcycle riding. Thanks for the tip, lannarebirth!

McG

I completely agree with the restaurant choice, and the drive there with a couple of things to mind for the bikes....Most of the road north of the Pai turnoff is under-construction dirt road, and the new turnoff that avoids the town of chiang dao isn't totally finished yet, but looks like it is.... the turnoff is for the trucks from mines out near Wiang Haeng. I don't know why, but they have not completed a section of road, instead forcing everyone to take an ectremely rutted-out dirt road for about half a kilometer. It's been like this for the last 2 or 3 years... The easiest and safest way for a bike is to head into chiang dao on the old road, and a left in town to the cave/restaurants.

Edited by Ajarn

I got a phone call from the Holiday Inn saying that they had changed from being the Sheraton to the holiday Inn and they were issuing VIP cards and seeing I had one from the Sheraton they would send me one. This seems strange as I have asked at brunch the other day and they said they weren't going to issue one. Truly the right hand doesn't know what the left hand is doing.

The food is good, and I will keep going.

Enjoyed the lunch time buffet today at the Holiday Inn (previously Sheraton/Westin). Price was 550baht all up including tea and coffee but I enquired for a VIP card (previously issued by Sheraton and still honoured) and was told Holiday Inn are not offering one at this stage but they did offer a 20% discount.

Sounds identical to the Sheraton buffet. So I understand from your post that they still do honor the Sheraton discount card?

And if you don't have one, they will give you the same deal? That is cool.... :o

Yes I knew of the Sheraton VIP card but never did get around to applying for one but did enquire as to acceptance just to include with comments and was told they certainly will honour (This from the young lady wandering around in the black suit). Can't say how long they will give a 20% discount but with their present plan not to issue a VIP card I doubt it will be forever but it was there to be had yesterday on request. This is only the third time I have visited in 3 years but the spread was as I recall from previous but first time I have hit the Sunday carvery which was excellent and a fine alternative to QV and others but of course being a hotel they will hit you with alcohol prices.

Do they still have a Chinese resto called China Palace there? Used to be pretty good.

Jeez, I cant believe that no one has mentioned Mike's hamburgers near the moat.

I think it is the best hamburger in Thailand. I live in Bkk and Mikes is usually one of my first stops when I visit Chiangmai. You have to tell the chef-gals to hold the cheese until they they serve the burger else the cheese melts and has no taste. Mmm looking forward to my next visit in March. I wish there was a branch in Bangkok.

I think it is the best hamburger in Thailand. I live in Bkk and Mikes is usually one of my first stops when I visit Chiangmai. You have to tell the chef-gals to hold the cheese until they they serve the burger else the cheese melts and has no taste. Mmm looking forward to my next visit in March. I wish there was a branch in Bangkok.

FYI, Mike's opened up a second location in CM. It's in the Anusarn Night market. As you enter Anusarn, before you come to the so called "food" area, look to your right, there's Mikes signage. Better yet, it'ls just a few doors down from the Pub, lost my brain, can't think of the name of it, oh, O'Malleys.

Also spoke to the gal there that worked at the original Mike's. They are going to open up a Mike's in bangkok. I'm sure she wouldn't know where, but said it's coming.

FYI, Mike's opened up a second location in CM. It's in the Anusarn Night market. As you enter Anusarn, before you come to the so called "food" area, look to your right, there's Mikes signage. Better yet, it'ls just a few doors down from the Pub, lost my brain, can't think of the name of it, oh, O'Malleys.

Also spoke to the gal there that worked at the original Mike's. They are going to open up a Mike's in bangkok. I'm sure she wouldn't know where, but said it's coming.

Mike did not open at the Anusarn market. Instead its a franchise under Brian(the owner of Mike's Burgers, Chiang Mai). And the people running the franchise at the anusarn market are Thais if I am not mistaken. But of course same thing you would get at Nimmanheimen or near Thapae.

Also the one in Bangkok is being opened at Silom Soi 1.

I agree with you.. I love Mike's hamburgers

I was told Mike (61 yrs old) sold out his franchise and moved back to the USA. I tried to find out the reason, but the gal didn't know. This info was only a week old.

Best hamburger in Thailand! :o Worth every bite!

Tasty assemblage at Mike's but the beef is pretty tasteless. Much better, IMO, are the seven different kinds of grilled burgers at Chiangmai Saloon. Give 'em a try if you haven't.

BTW I just heard that Mike no longer owns Mike's Burgers. He sold it with plans to open a Mexican resto, so the story goes.

The REAL Mike - from New Jersey/ California - just closed his latest Chiang Mai venture and is moving to Phuket - NOT America - to open and sell a slew of new restaurants there as he did in Chiang Mai. :o

Edited by Ulysses G.

The REAL Mike - from New Jersey/ California - just closed his latest Chiang Mai venture and is moving to Phuket - NOT America - to open and sell a slew of new restaurants there as he did in Chiang Mai. :D

Does this have anything to do with him being in conflict with the current owners of the "Mikes" brand who were peeved with him opening up a burger store despite their legal agreement when he sold?

I understood he is opening up stores in BKK but was moving to Pattaya not Phuket?

Has the store the "In 'n' Out" closed or been sold? Never really could understand why he moved out there except that it was to avoid the issue of him not opening a burger store in Chiang Mai (see my point above)

When do you open up the new shop next to CM Saloon?

Amazing our fascination with burgers and pizza :o

CB

The REAL Mike - from New Jersey/ California - just closed his latest Chiang Mai venture and is moving to Phuket - NOT America - to open and sell a slew of new restaurants there as he did in Chiang Mai. :o

Does this have anything to do with him being in conflict with the current owners of the "Mikes" brand who were peeved with him opening up a burger store despite their legal agreement when he sold?

I've been told that agreement only covers the city of Chiang Mai and Mike never seemed worried about anything other than honoring that original agreement.

As far as where he is going, he never mentioned going anywhere other than Phuket to me and seems to think that is where the money is!

Do they still have a Chinese resto called China Palace there? Used to be pretty good.

There is a Chinese 'resto' still there (Holiday Inn) but can't confirm the name.

HI are taking applications for VIP cards if anyone never got around to it when it was the Sheraton. Reduces price of Sunday buffet from 550 to 450baht.

Pats Restaurant (Thai Pauly's place) . The food was superb (i am not just saying that because i know him). There were Thai / Chinese dishes that i have never heard or seen of before. My wife and i tried 3-4 "new" dishes and were blown away by them. We had steamboat type fish in a lemon / chili sauce that was recommended as a chefs specialty, once again not disappointed. Thai Pauly's lovely wife was the host and made sure all the customers were happy. Great atmosphere on the rooftop terrace, a bloke singing Thai folk and a few western songs at the correct decibels so as to not interfere with a decent conversation. Beer was cheap and icy cold (always a big plus). Car parking galore, only 10 minutes out of town in a car. It has won my wife over, and that's no mean feat when it comes to Thai food.

To get there head down the Hang Dong Rd, turn right at the first major set of traffic lights after Tesco Lotus, head down that road about 300-400 meters on your left is Pats Restaurant. It's almost directly in front of a condo building (Sukyinda) or something like that. :o

i hear the Fillmore east has the best steaks in CM,, wher eis th erestaurant?

You heard right but unfortunately too late. The Filmore East is no more - it was on the River near the Brasserie, Good view etc but has closed. Stand by for everyone to now make their recommendation for the BEST steak in CNX - for my bit I pick the CM Salloon in Loi Kroh. Char grill and good value. Other options are the Dukes #1 or #2. Had a Rib Eye steak at CM Saloon #2 on Th. Ratchawithi the other week and they have got it together. As good as the Rib Eye at the Dukes but half the price. Palm Garden Restaurant in Loi Kroh is VERY expensive but the steaks are good - for my pocket the cost/value is not as good as at CM Saloon.

CB

Love At First Bite. Coming from the Riverside going towards The Dukes, it's the first soi on your left just before Dukes.

Anyway, the tiramisu i had was awesome as was the caffe latte. Nice gardens and car parking available.

Great little find in Chiang Mai for an afternoon tea..essen.gif

Love At First Bite. Coming from the Riverside going towards The Dukes, it's the first soi on your left just before Dukes.

Anyway, the tiramisu i had was awesome as was the caffe latte. Nice gardens and car parking available.

Try the coconut cream pie next visit. Delish!

Try the coconut cream pie next visit. Delish!

I will , thanks LRB.

I did see it in the window at it looked impressive..

A real hidden gem this one.

Finally made Salsa Kitchen last night and very much looked forward to the ribs several people here have commended so highly but alas for whatever reason there were none to be had. Settled for the jerked pork and chicken fajitas and enjoyed both and for the prices each was considered excellent value. Added bonus was the band at Babylon opposite who were turning out some tidy tunes so all in all a pleasant 90 minute stay and will certainly return to hopefuly find those ribs available.

• 2 weeks later...

I have to go to Chiang mai this week-end.

Is it Mike's open right now?

I would like to eat very good hamburger. :o

And that would be at the Chiang Mai Saloon.

180 g of Australian beef, cooked to perfection.

Sublime.... :o

Austarlian beef must have gotten a lot better simce I was last there 12 years ago. Used to be gristly, tough, and lacking any marbling, with a "gamey" flavor. Intetresting it's seen a good marketing approach here. That said, US beef used to be top notch, but now, except for the really pricey grades, it's not so good.

Just in case any of you are into a little taste of malaysia, there is a nice little place in nimmanheimen called KOPITIAM. Somewhere opposite Wawee Coffee. Doesn't have that much of a selection though. Would have loved some south indian curry (malaysian style)!

However their Nasi Lemak was really good. Also have Prawn Noodles and Char Keow Teow (fried noodles).

Any updates on Palaad Tawanron? Most info here on the site is two years old, some more recent. Reviews are mixed.

Anybody eat here recently?

I drove up there the other night just to get the location and have a look, and it was packed with Thais, even late at night. The ambience obviously was spectacular. But if the food isn't good, what's the point?

Thanks...

Vintage red decanted to gourmet cows

By Barbie Dutter in Sydney, Sunday Telegraph

Last Updated: 1:31am GMT 08/01/2007

A succulent fillet steak washed down with a glass of fine red wine is one of the great gastronomic double acts. Now, Australian farmers are taking it one step further, by plying their pedigree herds with a quality red wine retailing for A$20 (£8) a bottle, in the hope that it will help produce some of the most sumptuous steaks the culinary world has tasted.

The Wagyu cattle in Western Australia are being fattened on a diet of mixed grains and hay, saturated with Chestnut Grove 2004 cabernet merlot at the rate of a litre per animal each day.

The wine, sourced from a boutique vineyard in one of Australia's most celebrated wine-growing regions, Margaret River, south of Perth, would grace any gourmet's dinner table. Its tasting notes describe a palate displaying "complex blackcurrant and subtle menthol with fruit cake and vanilla bean flavours"

"The aroma is laden with red currant, plum, chocolate and sweet herbaceous mint character with spicy biscuity oak to compliment the lifted perfume," the notes proclaim.

Wagyu, which originated in Japan, already enjoys a reputation as the world's best beef — but it comes at a price, with a Wagyu sandwich in Selfridges famously selling for £85.

The beef is notable for its "marbling", the fine flecks of fat that permeate the meat and effectively baste the steak from the inside during cooking. This produces a succulence and depth of flavour that thrills chefs and diners alike.

You can read the whole article at http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml...1/07/wcow07.xml

Curious as to what differences are perceived in Aust wines now as compared with 12 years ago ? Better, quite likely, as the market became rather glutted :o ( :D ) but there were still many great wines quite cheaply available 12 years back.

Edited by WaiWai

Heading back on topic, thanks for the note about the Malaysian place, tigerbeer.

I like Tai Zi for Malaysian food in Chiang Mai. When I visited yesterday, I was happy to find that they added Hot Pot Rice with chix, salty fish, and black mushroom (it was yummy!), and a few other new dishes on their menu. Overall, their menu leans towards Malay/Chinese food, versus the heavy spiced curry dishes. The only item that screams Malaysian on the menu is the Buk Kut Teh, a traditional Malaysian herb and pork bone soup. They also have a few dim sum dishes, and a pretty good set lunch menu, the 49B set includes Hainanese chicken and rice, soup, a small plate of Chinese brocolli with oyster sauce and a glass of chrysenthenum tea.

The restaurant is located on Si Phum Road, about a block from the Jazz Co-op Cafe heading towards Chiang Mai Ram. Their restaurant name is in Thai, it is part of the Coca-cola restaurant sign...and it is located right next to the music equipment store.