Good Places To Eat In Chiang Mai

astral

Chiang Mai's only Greek restaurant- Zorba's - went out of business just a few weeks ago, but the Jeruselem Falafel actually has excellent pita bread and better Mussaka at a much lower price. :o

Edited by Ulysses G.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Had an excellent dinner last night at Kitchen Hush. It's Japanese and is in a wooden house just round the corner from Floral Condo. Pretty laid back setting with downstairs a counter than accommodates half a dozen people plus there is 7-8 tables and upstairs 2 separate private rooms, one catering for 6 people the other closer to 12. The place is run by a Japanese couple and there was clear evidence of Japanese clientele during the time I was there. Address is 18/1 Kaewnawarat which when coming out of Floral Condo is turn left and first right and it will be on the left, look for the lights in the trees and the tiny Kitchen Hush sign. It's just before a small church which is on the opposite side of the road. Phone number is 053 247 731. We had a platter of sashimi for 350 baht which just about a complete meal for 2 people so its certainly not expensive.

Had an excellent dinner last night at Kitchen Hush. It's Japanese and is in a wooden house just round the corner from Floral Condo. Pretty laid back setting with downstairs a counter than accommodates half a dozen people plus there is 7-8 tables and upstairs 2 separate private rooms, one catering for 6 people the other closer to 12. The place is run by a Japanese couple and there was clear evidence of Japanese clientele during the time I was there. Address is 18/1 Kaewnawarat which when coming out of Floral Condo is turn left and first right and it will be on the left, look for the lights in the trees and the tiny Kitchen Hush sign. It's just before a small church which is on the opposite side of the road. Phone number is 053 247 731. We had a platter of sashimi for 350 baht which just about a complete meal for 2 people so its certainly not expensive.

What is this near? NOTHING sounds familiar. :o

Floral condo is the one just East of the Riverside/Brasserie area and rises up in the region of 20-22 stories.

Leaving town go over Nawarat bridge, turn left so you parallel the river and pass the Riverside then take a right at Brasserie then the road goes around to the left. Follow this then take the first right and this is the road that leads to Floral Condo. The left turn that takes you to Kitchen Hush is about 50mts before the condo. Distance from Brasserie is in the region of 400mts.

Just double checked the card I picked up at Kitchen Hush and its Kaenwnawarat Road, Soi 2. Kaenwnawarat in the road that heads east from Nakornping bridge. Soi 2 is on the right when leaving town and before the Isuzu garage.

I finally tried the Laughing Leprechan Cheeseburger.

1/2 lb of meat and pretty good - maybe the best in town.

I had been throwing water for 7 hours and was really hungry, but couldn't quite finish the burger and fries. It was the 125 baht special and well worth it! :o

Just double checked the card I picked up at Kitchen Hush and its Kaenwnawarat Road, Soi 2. Kaenwnawarat in the road that heads east from Nakornping bridge. Soi 2 is on the right when leaving town and before the Isuzu garage.

That's Kaew Nawarat Rd.

My buddy who is a big Duke's Burger fan wanted to try the Laughing Leprechan Cheeseburger, so we went last night. He was quite impressed at the size and quality of the burger.

I think that we have another entrant for the next "Best Burger in Chiang Mai" competition. :o

Edited by Ulysses G.

My buddy who is a big Duke's Burger fan wanted to try the Laughing Leprechan Cheeseburger, so we went last night. He was quite impressed at the size and quality of the burger.

I think that we have another entrant for the next "Best Burger in Chiang Mai" competition. :o

Oh no - I don't think I can stand another round of "the Best Burger in Chiang Mai" competition :D

CB

With all the new places in Chiang Mai it is easy to forget the old masters who we've gotten so used to that we forget to mention.

I ate at Da Stephanos Italian Restaurant - near the original Gecko Books - last night and it was great as it has been for years. They keep adding new and different Italian specials all the time and have one of the hottest little waitresses in Chiang Mai.

Chicken in mushroom sauce with mash potatoes always hits the spot! :o

With all the new places in Chiang Mai it is easy to forget the old masters who we've gotten so used to that we forget to mention.

I ate at Da Stephanos Italian Restaurant - near the original Gecko Books - last night and it was great as it has been for years. They keep adding new and different Italian specials all the time and have one of the hottest little waitresses in Chiang Mai.

Chicken in mushroom sauce with mash potatoes always hits the spot! :o

An Italian meal served up by a Thai dish

You are a man of good taste

CB

Actually, an Italian meal served up by a Burmese dish.

I am refering to a waitress called "Geow". She has a work permit, speaks amazing English and has been working in the Farang restaurants since she was about 15. She is probably about 20 now.

A fine little lady. :o

Actually, an Italian meal served up by a Burmese dish.

I am refering to a waitress called "Geow". She has a work permit, speaks amazing English and has been working in the Farang restaurants since she was about 15. She is probably about 20 now.

A fine little lady. :o

Mmmmmm even better - shan style is always nice

Methinks may need to check out the chicken and mushroom on Friday evening

:D

CB

Enjoyed the lunch time buffet today at the Holiday Inn (previously Sheraton/Westin). Number of dishes on show had to be in the 40+ range plus there was a carvery (lamb/pork/chicken/turkey - didn't notice beef but possibly there but pork was delightful) also a pasta and crepes station. Variety of dishes was excellent and included seafood (smoked salmon/oysters/mussels/rock lobster), Japenese (10 or so dishes), Thai (limited to 4-6 dishes), Indian (4-6 dishes again) plus salads and plenty of deserts, 3 types of cheese and other offerings that I fail to recall. Price was 550baht all up including tea and coffee but I enquired for a VIP card (previously issued by Sheraton and still honoured) and was told Holiday Inn are not offering one at this stage but they did offer a 20% discount (enquire with one of the staff wandering around in black suits) so final bill was 900baht for 2 which given the array and quality of food on offer I found extremely reasonable especially so for hotel dining.

Although not being my favoured hour for eating 'large' I thoroughly enjoyed a full 4 courses by taking it steady and do recommend for those that fancy a change for a traditional Sunday roast (including Yorkshire puddings) or a buffet style lunch.

Note that carvery is Sunday only and buffet is 500baht other days of the week.

The Westin/Sheraton/Holiday Inn has been the best buffet in Chiang Mai for at least 10 years and the only one that I would bother with personally. The cream of the crop of Chiang Mai Farang High Society - luminaries such as Dirty Dick - eat there almost every Sunday.

Luckily it's such a pin in the butt to get to, that I hardly ever go.

Enjoyed the lunch time buffet today at the Holiday Inn (previously Sheraton/Westin). Price was 550baht all up including tea and coffee but I enquired for a VIP card (previously issued by Sheraton and still honoured) and was told Holiday Inn are not offering one at this stage but they did offer a 20% discount.

Sounds identical to the Sheraton buffet. So I understand from your post that they still do honor the Sheraton discount card?

And if you don't have one, they will give you the same deal? That is cool.... :o

Enjoyed the lunch time buffet today at the Holiday Inn (previously Sheraton/Westin). Price was 550baht all up including tea and coffee but I enquired for a VIP card (previously issued by Sheraton and still honoured) and was told Holiday Inn are not offering one at this stage but they did offer a 20% discount.

Sounds identical to the Sheraton buffet. So I understand from your post that they still do honor the Sheraton discount card?

And if you don't have one, they will give you the same deal? That is cool.... :o

Yes I knew of the Sheraton VIP card but never did get around to applying for one but did enquire as to acceptance just to include with comments and was told they certainly will honour (This from the young lady wandering around in the black suit). Can't say how long they will give a 20% discount but with their present plan not to issue a VIP card I doubt it will be forever but it was there to be had yesterday on request. This is only the third time I have visited in 3 years but the spread was as I recall from previous but first time I have hit the Sunday carvery which was excellent and a fine alternative to QV and others but of course being a hotel they will hit you with alcohol prices.

Lert Rot seafood restaurant. Tel: 053 872092

Wonderful place that is a bit of an adventure to find but worth the effort (search for seafood restaurants for map). Its beside the Ping but is absolutely basic with 10 simple tables, plastic chairs, tin roof and the entrance is through the kitchen but don't let that put you off as the emphasis here is all on the food. We were a party of 6 (3 Thai/3 falang) and must have been there for 2 hours and sampled a total of 9 dishes with the crab, shrimps in garlic and black pepper and calimari in flour the high points for me but there wasn't a bland offering to be had. Cost? Well considering we ordered crab, 2 shrimp dishes, calimari and 5 others plus 4 large beers I was expecting something around 2500 baht but it was only 1670 which is a steal.

Clientele was all Thai with the exception of one other falang who was checking the place for the first time after reading about it on these pages. Menu is completely in Thai and the staff who were excellent only spoke Thai. Opening hours are 1100-1400 and 1700-2100.

For those that don't believe we have an excellent seafood reastarant in town please do check this place out. You will not be disappointed.

Chiang Mai's only Greek restaurant- Zorba's - went out of business just a few weeks ago, but the Jeruselem Falafel actually has excellent pita bread and better Mussaka at a much lower price. :o

Why am I not surprised? We went there after that place had been open a few weeks. Talk about salty! Would you like a little food sprinkled on your salt? How anyone could have found that appetising? I also ordered an ice coffee - which I ordered before the meal, after quite a few reminders it finally came - after the food was finished! And no sugar in it, when I put it back they just added sugar and gave it back - fyi zorba peeps, sugar don't dissolve in cold coffee.

Hmm, wonder how they managed to stay open so long?

Weren't they the same people who would try and pressure people to buy sandwiches in airport plaza?

Wonderful place that is a bit of an adventure to find but worth the effort (search for seafood restaurants for map). Its beside the Ping but is absolutely basic with 10 simple tables, plastic chairs, tin roof and the entrance is through the kitchen but don't let that put you off as the emphasis here is all on the food. We were a party of 6 (3 Thai/3 falang) and must have been there for 2 hours and sampled a total of 9 dishes with the crab, shrimps in garlic and black pepper and calimari in flour the high points for me but there wasn't a bland offering to be had. Cost? Well considering we ordered crab, 2 shrimp dishes, calimari and 5 others plus 4 large beers I was expecting something around 2500 baht but it was only 1670 which is a steal.

Clientele was all Thai with the exception of one other falang who was checking the place for the first time after reading about it on these pages. Menu is completely in Thai and the staff who were excellent only spoke Thai. Opening hours are 1100-1400 and 1700-2100.

For those that don't believe we have an excellent seafood reastarant in town please do check this place out. You will not be disappointed.

Correction, it was a total of 7 dishes not 9. Apologies.

I only ate at Zorba's 1 time and the next day I was puking out both ends ! :o I know it is possible that it was something else I ate, but I am fairly positive that was where it came from. Never went back......and now it looks like I never will ! :D

This sounds like "Under the starfruit tree" which I mentioned before

Follow north on Wangsingkham and I think it is just before you go under superhighway bridge.