Friday 10 April 2009 Extra Holiday

george

Friday extra holiday: Abhisit

BANGKOK: -- Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva announced that Friday will be an extra holiday to pave way for the authorities to take action against wrongdoers in the Bangkok street blockades.

The prime minister made the announcement live on TV Thursday night.

-- The Nation 2009-04-09

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Really screws those that had meetings in govt offices.

Next available date ooooooohhhhh maybe the 16th but more likely the 20th plus since

you know...............usually a slow re-start after Songkron.

Extra hard for those leaving the country.

Ahhhhhhhh

Mai Bpen Rai...........Mai Mai Mai

What a joke! I needed to go to immigration in Chiang Mai tomorrow...

Does the whole of Thailand need a holiday just to clear up Bangkok's streets?

Will they actually do anything to clear the streets or just sit back and watch... --- sit back and watch...

Pathetic...

So will all the banks be closed tomorrow? That will be a problem for many businesses who need to get petty cash, change etc for Songkran. They all thought that they could do this tomorrow.

Just hope you weren't planning to visit immigration tomorrow.

That's exactly what I was going to do (I'm stamped until the 14th). Luckily, I decided to go today (thought it might be quieter - it wasn't - it was mental), but glad I did now or I guess it would have been overstay for me.

I would not be surprised if all the major businesses remained open tomorrow (including the banks, but maybe not government offices) 12 hours notice is just too quick for them to respond to

According to my Thai wife - we watched together - it's only government offices that will be closed. Everyone else should be business as (relatively) usual.

I would not be surprised if all the major businesses remained open tomorrow (including the banks, but maybe not government offices) 12 hours notice is just too quick for them to respond to

According to my Thai wife - we watched together - it's only government offices that will be closed. Everyone else should be business as (relatively) usual.

Thank you for that clarification, i'm sure that info will appease the fear of some people here.

Won't a public holiday just encourage more people to:

1. Join the protests.

-or-

2. Go shopping (and therefor cause more traffic).

As I remember, traffic is always worst on Sundays and holidays.

But we have to forgive Abhisit, since he always flies in his helicopter and wouldn't know anything about traffic.

Edited by rainman

I work for a private school. We have summer school going on. I have NO IDEA if I have to work tomorrow. Too late to call anyone right now, so guess I'll have to get up early and check.

Planning would be nice!

Won't a public holiday just encourage more people to:

1. Join the protests.

-or-

2. Go shopping (and therefor cause more traffic).

As I remember, traffic is always worst on Sundays and holidays.

But we have to forgive Abhisit, since he always flies in his helicopter and wouldn't know anything about traffic.

Normally i would agree with you, (besides the snide remark at Abhisit) but it being songkran and all, i think most people would try to make it out of the city and start songkran early. Besides if red mob decides to hang out on rama 4 or prakanong i doubt people could shop, even if they wanted to.

Just hope you weren't planning to visit immigration tomorrow.

Well my wife was finally at a spot where we could change her name on her passport to our married name.

We actually were to do it today but the doors were blocked with dozens of cops :D ( Chiang Mai Branch )

They said no prob come back tomorrow

As luck & a slow govt would have it we are at the end of our 2 month trip.

Took that long just to square away all the other stuff.

Ah well maybe next trip. :o

Edited by flying

Does anybody know if this includes metropolitan electricity offices.....i just got back from abroad and wanted to pay my bill.

regards

Timo

Unless you got a letter telling you they were going to cut you off if you did not pay by tomorrow, i would not worry about it. Besides it's songkran, there is no one around to cut you off anyway :o

Seems like a good idea to let innocent people get out of town.

This is a national problem which requires nationwide action, I am sure the PM is sorry about you missing your visit to immigration tomorrow.

Most people just complain regardless of what the government does. Why don't they do this? Why don't they do that? Then when they do something. Why did they cause me to miss my appointment?

IQs have dropped.

Go on holiday and come back and sort it out later like the rest of us.

:o

I smell me a Red shirt Bar-B-Q!

Clear the streets of the workers, send everyone away away for a long, long, LOOOONG weekend break

Then send the police in...

I have a very bad feeling about this!

Well, I wish they would be a bit more specific about who can/should be on holiday and who can't/shouldn't. I'd rather not have to wait until 7:30 to find out when I could be on a plane to Abu Dhabi at around 9:00 if there's no work tomorrow.

Well, I wish they would be a bit more specific about who can/should be on holiday and who can't/shouldn't. I'd rather not have to wait until 7:30 to find out when I could be on a plane to Abu Dhabi at around 9:00 if there's no work tomorrow.

Fully agree.... pi$$es me off that they only report half of the story in The Nation and don't even mention it on the BKP... what a shower...

I for one have been told that that office is open tomorrow... and I will be VERY f***ed off if I get there at 7.30 to find no one else has turned up!

Seems like a good idea to let innocent people get out of town.

This is a national problem which requires nationwide action, I am sure the PM is sorry about you missing your visit to immigration tomorrow.

Most people just complain regardless of what the government does. Why don't they do this? Why don't they do that? Then when they do something. Why did they cause me to miss my appointment?

IQs have dropped.

Go on holiday and come back and sort it out later like the rest of us.

:o

I hope he is sorry!

You think that calling a national holiday is doing something? Lets see if anything is actually done tomorrow to settle this problem... I highly doubt it.

Both the 'red's' and 'yellow's' are not helping Thailand in the slightest...