Tzr 150? 200+km/h?

in a word NO. 200! more like. unless its got a custom tuned expansion chamber, hi flow air filter and some serious carb tuning. BUT saying that it should be capable of seeing the top of 170+. I just would not like to sustain that speed for long. Also dont forget that speedo's are normally out by up to 10% so 170 on the speedo is probably closer to 160. Allan

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

i know 3 cbr 150's that are doing 160kph, speedometer not gps...but since no bike is 100% accurate, its compareable to other bikes...all riders are under 80 kilos.

but requires regapping the plug, removing the resistor, and better sparkplug wire for a stronger spark....and a sprocket ratio of 15/44, 15/47 or 14/44 >>> 16/38/40/42/44...won't cut it.

one of these bikes is my friends, another is mine and the other is your old bike thaicbr, after i gave your buyer some tips.

i know 3 cbr 150's that are doing 160kph, speedometer not gps...but since no bike is 100% accurate, its compareable to other bikes...all riders are under 80 kilos.

This coming from the guy that claims his 150 can smoke a liter bike... :):D

Well blow me down with a feather..... you mean my old Cbr150. The one that the bloke 4 months later was shouting at me on this forum that it was a bag of <deleted> blah,blah, blah 50% dodgy parts. even though it was pretty much a stock bike ( just had a down pipe) and he NEVER even test rode it. also i have still not heard from him about his address to send the original pipe to. the guy moves around more than a cbr on stock IRC'S.

Sinewave. I'm very glad you lightweight fella's are seeing 160kph. I do not think that is sustained 160kmh. eg for 20-30 km's on an open highway. BUT GOOD LUCK TO YA.

Tell us what size and make of tires are you running on your Cbr150's

im 80/90 - 90/80 friends 80/90 - 110/80... plain IRC eagles the 110 grips alot better than the 90/80......your bike, i don't know what size...

thaicbr he fixed it up...the silencer had to be repacked and was losing too much back pressure, and the jetting was off...gotta rejet with a new pipe, or else it will run lean.

we aint running 160 kph sustained, too dangerous and too much wind resistance...but it's happening as well as for many other thai guys that have a stronger spark.

bigbike - get it right>>>modified 150cc bored and stroked to 250cc, modified clutch, crank, cdi, pipe, carb and porting up to 140 kph...full race set up...not just a 150cc bike, but i understand your are one of the members with a reading and comprehension problem...i use to meet guys like you on the track >>get a bad start and blame it on the bike.

Edited by sinewave

I have a tzr150. tzm150 and vrr150 use the same engine (no power valve on vrr; tzm has larger frame and a bit bigger; power valve/port may be larger on the tzm). It easily does 140 km/h and it could do much more. Much more powerful than a cbr (I recon its around 25-29 bhp). Its an old bike and I would not go much faster than 140 km/hr on Bangkok roads because the the bike is old and I value my life! Parts are dead easy to get and I have a copy of the parts book, which I use for maintaining it. It has the BelleR 100 disk brake on the back, meaning its easy/cheap to get brake pads, plus a decent sized disk on the front (much bigger than the cbr). RXZ has alot of similar parts. I love this bike; ideal for Bangkok roads. Sometimes I get fed up with the gear changing, and I have changed the front socket to give higher gearing round bangkok; 16 on the front and 37 on the back (it had 14 on the front which is non standard). I recon my bike needs a re-bore/new piston, in which case it will go faster, but for my needs/kicks its pretty good as it is. I put a new carb in it recently which gave it a new lease of life (much better power across the range); this cost 600 baht, which is a bargain! Parts are easy to get and lots of copy parts for bits that wear out/break. I have had this bike two years now. I also have an NSR150 thats in bits, but I prefer the TZR and have lost the motivation to fix up the NSR because I have the TZR. My bike has the VRR farings without the lower bits and the square headlight, which gives the bike a much more modern naked look. The bike also has 17" wheels (the parts manual says it should have a 16" on the front and an 18" on the back); needless to say the tyres are cheap at 17".

I was thinking of getting a cbr but I think I would miss the 2stroke fun in the TZR, plus the loss of power. If I had to get another bike I would probably go for a KRR in preference to the cbr.

Lots of worn out tzrs on mocyc.com for about 5k baht. Difficult to find a well maintained one. Probably a better idea to go for a KRR which they were still selling a couple of years back. I also here the KRR is a cleaner bike (less smoke).

Final tip; you will get through lots of kick start nuts! I mean the thread strips. I have replaced about three. Luckily its good Yamaha design and the nuts strip rather than the spindle. They are currently 10 baht a pop and it take a couple of minutes to put a new one on! When I first got the bike I had to put a new kickstart spindle on; I think it cost about three hundred baht plus three hundred baht to fit it.

Happy trails... :)

• Like 1

Sinewave. It amazes me that you have done all this work and still run crap IRC eagles on ya bike (undersized at that. why?). are you still running the original wheels or have you converted to the lightweight spoked wheels.

Have you got any pictures of ya bike?

Edited by thaicbr

The tires don't bother me at all, only time they freak me out is over painted road stripes....I set my bike up for straight runs and prefer a harder compound. Plus i know how to ride it :)

Spoked wheels aren't actually lighter than the mags, its a myth...i did a weight comparison between mags and unspoked alloy rims, and the difference was less than 100 grams...add the spokes and they may just end up being heavier.

the major difference would be the flywheel effect, the more equal weight distribution around the rim adds a more balanced momentum....the effect of spokes cutting the air may or may not have a desireable effect also.

no pics

ahhhh ok i get it now. You have fallen into the drag racing scene that ALL Thai youth seem to love.

If you knew how to ride it you would want the pleasure of a bendy road and grippy tires. Straight line is easy, around the bends is what shows a good rider. (and i gotta say I'm pretty crap, especially on a Fino but that's another story).

If you prefer a harder compound then the Standard IRC's are perfect. Hard as steel with the same level of grip. Michelin pilot sporty's (100 FRONT 110 REAR)are the biz if you enjoy actually RIDING the bike.

Have you ever ridden Bira or the track at RCA?

Hi.

A TZR is a powerful bike and should, all stock, easily do 180+ km/h. They have in the area of 35 horse power with the power valve engine (150cc that is). I have an RXZ which is all-stock engine wise (but modified air box) and does 140, that is 135cc without YPVS and around 20 horse power.

I also have another RXZ that is bored up to 150cc and ported, it has, according to the mechanic at the shop where i do my servicing, roughly 35 horse power as well (stock carb and air box, Tsukigi racing pipe) and does 183 km/h as per digital speedo (breaking 200 on the stock one). That is despite having a chopper-type wind shield and a Givi-box on the rear and some other add-ons that increase the weight. With a larger carb, modified air box and custom pipe i could get up to 65 horse power out of that engine and break 210 real km/h. I use stock size tyres 2.75/18 front and 3.00/18 rear, Michelin rubbers.

Getting to that top speed is work however, requiring to rev each gear to the max (just beyond 14k rpm) before shifting up. If i race then drag-only because that bike is NOT a corner-star, it's more like a train - always wants to go straight but with ample power :) Also the rear sprocket has been changed from stock 47 to a 40.

I am planning (and very slowly progressing) to make that other RXZ a track bike, in the end i will have the cylinder bored to max possible at the same stroke (180cc) and, with matching pipe and carb, hope to reach 70+ horse power and 230+ km/h. That bike is of course MUCH lighter than the other one.

Best regards....

Thanh

Drag racing on a skinny tire 150... SineWave must have MAD skills! :D:):D

2500 baht for a set of tires - OR 2500baht for a carb OR racing clutch plates/pressure plates and racing springs OR 2500 baht is half the cost of a 180cc bore up kit OR 2500 baht is the cost of a good pipe and silencer.

get the picture?

i'll get the training wheels last fellas, because i 'do' have mad skills....don't weigh over 70kilos and aren't as top heavy as you fat bastards. :D

around the bends? thats where i excel, but obviously bangkok traffic doesn't really allow for many twist and bends....so the tires will come last.

why wear the tires out before the power really comes together?...that would be a waste of money.

it amazes me how some people change from the worn out skinny stock IRC's - then move to a new and wider tire with fresh rubber and say the new tires are far better with much better grip.... :D

Drag racing on a skinny tire 150... SineWave must have MAD skills! :D:):D

2500 baht for a set of tires - OR 2500baht for a carb OR racing clutch plates/pressure plates and racing springs OR 2500 baht is half the cost of a 180cc bore up kit OR 2500 baht is the cost of a good pipe and silencer.

Ah- didn't realize you were on such a limited budget... Guess you can't afford a proper bike. Have fun 'racing' with the teenie boppers :D

• Sad 1

Ah- didn't realize you were on such a limited budget... Guess you can't afford a proper bike. Have fun 'racing' with the teenie boppers

:):D :D

These people with the small bikes seem to have a real inferiority complex.

No stock 150 is doing 180kph.

No 125cc is beating an R1 or whatever.

Sinewave have you ever ridden a big bike ? And I'm wondering how old you are.

Edited by INTJ

"No stock 150 is doing 180kph."

INTJ. change that to no stock 4stroke 150 is doing 180kph. then i would agree.

BUT a 2stroke in good condition then very possible as they do have about 26-30hp.

AND to be fair to the young skinny bastard (Sinewave) he did only state 160kmh for the Cbr150 (slightly modified)

I still think he has gotten into the Thai bike scene a little to much. that he underestimates the benefit of good quality tyres to the allround riding pleasure. Maybe he enjoys the "oh my god, I'm skidding into that wall" moments.

Good tyres mean more grip and more fun. end of story.

Hi.

A TZR is a powerful bike and should, all stock, easily do 180+ km/h.

It wasn't Sinewane who made that claim. I don't doubt that a tricked out bike 2 stroke can be made to go quick, but stock ? And 180 "+" ? I'm still not buying it.

Cheers.

Edited by INTJ

"the major difference would be the flywheel effect, the more equal weight distribution around the rim adds a more balanced momentum."

Could somebody please explain what this is supposed to mean? What is a balanced momentum? What sort of rims aren't balanced? Feel free to use engineering and/or scientific terms.

I have 3 NSR150's, in varying ages and states of repair, which I love dearly, but if your not scraping your boots around corners, they are just a pain in the butt.

INTJ. dunno lend me 10,000 baht and i will go buy one do a top end rebuild, run it in then i find a nice long bit of road, Find a 70kg Mad rider(Sinewave) then we will see (if i ride it no way is it gonna go 180+. cos i am a fat bastard). ok

(will give you the money back when i get paid next month) :):D

Edited by thaicbr