Visa Invalidated?

What happens if you are working and have a non-immagrant B visa and then you stop working? The scenario is I'll be leaving thailand in about 2 months, I'll be leaving my job before that. Are there any ramifications? I need to do a 90 check in soon but they wouldn't know anything would they? And they don't thoroughly check your visas on the way out so I can't see there would be a problem anywhere. Or would there?

What happens if you are working and have a non-immagrant B visa and then you stop working?  The scenario is I'll be leaving thailand in about 2 months, I'll be leaving my job before that.  Are there any ramifications?  I need to do a 90 check in soon but they wouldn't know anything would they?  And they don't thoroughly check your visas on the way out so I can't see there would be a problem anywhere.  Or would there?

Only if your job calls immigration to inform them, assuming your visa dates are tied to your job contract dates....

Happens rarely, but it does happen- I've been the reporter myself in one case. That time, immigration actually visited him and stamped a '7 day out' stamp in his passport on the spot... Lot's of people were relieved to know that, too.

In your case, it doesn't seem like you'll have a problem, but TiT, na'? :o

On a related note, a friend of mine is considering changing jobs- assuming things are all "friendly, friendly" coming from the last job, isn't there a procedure where the work permit can just be transferred without the need for a visa trip? Do both schools have to go with you to immigration? How does that work?

"Steven"

What happens if you are working and have a non-immagrant B visa and then you stop working?
7 days to turn in your work permit and 7 days to leave the country. If the company will be replacing you with another employee, they will report you are no longer working.( 2 million Baht registered capital per work permit) If you do nothing and they reported you, when you leave you'll find you'll have overstayed 45 days and be fined 9,000 Baht.

By the way, this is with an extension of stay permit based on business. You are NOT affected if you have a multi entry one "B" visa( where you leave every 90 days), marriage, education visa

On a related note, a friend of mine is considering changing jobs- assuming things are all "friendly, friendly" coming from the last job, isn't there a procedure where the work permit can just be transferred without the need for a visa trip? Do both schools have to go with you to immigration? How does that work?

If he has an extension of stay permit based on business...He applies for the second job before quitting the first job. On his work permit he then would have a second job and then he can end his employment at the first. Otherwise he has to leave the country in 14 days. Get a new visa and apply for a work permit and extension of stay permit based on business.

www.lawyer.th.com