The Boudin Thread

sabaijai

The boudin thread officially opens. As a New Orleans native, I crave it. Where can I find really good boudin in Bangkok?

I've seen it sometimes at Villa, but not always in stock. I've never bought it.

I've been tempted to make gumbo, as okra is readily available, and I've seen Andoullie at Villa. I haven't seen cayenne pepper, however, and that could be a problem.

Not quite sure if it's same we have in Germany, called Blutwurst(blood sausage) it looks like this:

post-2733-1239678147_thumb.jpg

post-2733-1239678139_thumb.jpg

I like them a lot.

Gerd

Gerd: that's Boudin noir: A dark-hued blood sausage, containing pork, pig blood, and other ingredients. Variants of the boudin noir occur in French, Belgian, Cajun and Catalan cuisine. The Catalan version of the boudin noir is called botifarra negra.

Boudin Blanc is a white sausage made of pork without the blood. Pork liver and heart meat are typically included. In Cajun versions, the sausage is made from a pork rice dressing, (much like dirty rice) which is stuffed into pork casings.

65553583_76e2103cfe.jpg

Thanks for that!

The "white versions" looks great as well.

Best to get them fresh in the morning from a butcher I guess.

Gerd

Your right Gerd

The rice starts to ferment otherwise. hence the not leaving the car-park. the flavor can change so much in just 24hrs... make-em vac-pack and and freeze em, is the only way..... but even then they still don't last long..... dam that rice..

I'm with you on the black pudding/blood sausage, love it. might make some in a week or so..... soon as my smoke-pit is finished ( not going to smoke them,it's just taking up most of my time, as I'm not very good at building ...)

Not quite sure if it's same we have in Germany, called Blutwurst(blood sausage) it looks like this:

I like them a lot.

Gerd

Gerd: that's Boudin noir: A dark-hued blood sausage, containing pork, pig blood, and other ingredients. Variants of the boudin noir occur in French, Belgian, Cajun and Catalan cuisine. The Catalan version of the boudin noir is called botifarra negra.

Boudin Blanc is a white sausage made of pork without the blood. Pork liver and heart meat are typically included. In Cajun versions, the sausage is made from a pork rice dressing, (much like dirty rice) which is stuffed into pork casings.

65553583_76e2103cfe.jpg

I'm talking about Louisiana Boudin, which looks nothing like these photos. :o

Or this

boudin.jpg

By the way, I paraphrased a Calvin Trillin passage, here's the original:

“I figure that about 80 percent of the boudin purchased in Louisiana is consumed before the purchaser has left the parking lot, and most of the rest is polished off in the car. In other words, Cajun boudin not only doesn’t get outside the state; it usually doesn’t even get home.”

– Calvin Trillin, from his essay, “The Missing Links: In Praise of the Cajun Foodstuff That Doesn’t Get Around.”

• 1 month later...

Hi Everyone,

First time to post. I am from Baton Rouge and my Thai wife of 3 years is from Nakhon Si Thammarrat. We currently live in Denver, Colorado USA and hope to live in Thailand one day. No good Cajun food here in Colorado but no problem as I cook all of the South Louisiana specialties. This past weekend, I learned how to do boudin. Very easy to do and you can then make sure it is done right and is both safe and healthier. Today we are going to make another batch but I will try to modify a bit with some Thai herbs to creat a "Thai boudin". Will report back to you on its success. Back to Louisiana boudin, you just need a meat grinder that also stuffs into the casings. What goes in is simply Thai jasmine rice, pork boston butt (20% fat), pork or chicken liver, onion, celery, bell pepper garlic, thyme, cayenne and black pepper and salt. Jutathip tells me that you can buy cayenne at Foodland Supermarkets in BKK. If you cannot find it, just substitute red dried Thai chili pepper. The point is that you can do it yourself and have a better boudin. If you decide to try, let me know and I can post or email the recipe.

Tom & Jutathip Guidry

I like them a lot.

Gerd

65553583_76e2103cfe.jpg

Yep, what's missing is the rice and probably Cajun herbs and spices as well.