Marriage Extension

I applied for a 1 year extension based on marriage today and got a 40 day 'under consideration' stamp along with a nice blue 'thai wife' stamp.

I would like a bit of margin between getting the 1 year stamp and the expiry of the 40 days so that I will have time to renew my work permit in between...

...so...

How long before the 40 days extension expires can I show up at immigration?

Will immigration notify me (if so, how?) when/if the 1 year extension has been approved?

I received my extension at Pattaya immigration. I was given 2 "under consideration" stamps each of 30 days before I got the extension. It transpired that they'd been aware of the decision to grant it for 3 weeks before my 2nd "under consideration" stamp was due to expire but made no attempt to even phone me.

Also, when you receive the extension it won't be for a year from the date of decision but, rather, a year from the date you last entered the country. So, in my case, I entered Thailand on 28/1/04, was granted the extension in May and it's valid until 27/1/05. (2 days!! Bugger, I'm in the UK so I'll have to start from scratch again.....)

Cheers,

Scouse.

If you are in Bangkok, and dealing with Suan Phlu, you simply come back on the 40th day, and pick up your approved lomg-term extension. Extensions based on support of a Thai wife are the only extensions that typically get approved as of the end of the first "under consideration" period - which si 40 days for thsi category, instead of 30 days as in for extensions based on qualifying employment.

Unfortunately, you will most likely have to get one interim work permnit validation - of less than 30 days - to bridge the gap between work permit expiration and expiration of your 40 day "under consideration" stamp. No way around this - just grin and bear it.

Good luck!

Steve Sykes

Managing Director

Indo-Siam Group

Bangkok

[email protected]

www.thaistartup.com

Unfortunately, you will most likely have to get one interim work permnit validation - of less than 30 days - to bridge the gap between work permit expiration and expiration of your 40 day "under consideration" stamp.  No way around this - just grin and bear it.

What is the "interim work permit validation"?

As I understand it, the work permit can not be extended past whatever extension of stay is stamped into my passport and if I let it pass that date before w/p renewal, the work permit is automagically invalidated...? Or did I misunderstand something?

If I show up at immigration a couple of days prior to the expiration date of the 40-day extension stamp, what will happen? Is it possible that I will get the 1 year extension or at least another 40-day stamp? Or will they send me home and tell me to come back on the exact date stamped in my passport?

If I show up at immigration a couple of days prior to the expiration date of the 40-day extension stamp, what will happen? Is it possible that I will get the 1 year extension or at least another 40-day stamp? Or will they send me home and tell me to come back on the exact date stamped in my passport?

And the stars are in what position that day? :o

Anything is possible.

• 1 month later...