State Of Emergency Declared For Bangkok

george

Some clips I took today.

(52 seconds into the clip the military storms Victory monument).

Yes, I know it's shaky...

that's hair-raising, thanks for sharing...

Good stuff...but with all those shots fired, the should have been more than a few bodies...blanks?

The army spokeman said that the soldiers were using blanks. Dan Rivers report filed on CNN tends to confirm this. He said he had not seen many injured people, and no deaths, in his observations at the front lines.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Strictly speaking, any government's fundamental raison d´être can be defined as:

To uphold law and order and to protect its citizens' lives and property.

This is why the government, in most civilised countries, supposedly has a monopoly on using violence.

Can the Thai government at the moment be considered fulfilling this fundamental duty? If not, is it not their duty to, by whatever means legally available, restore law and order? It seems to me that at the moment they are letting political expedience take precedence over their primary duty. I am not arguing for indiscriminate violence (or any violence for that matter) but it seems that a government that is not prepared to uphold its authority rapidly loses its legitimacy. At the moment the red shirts are holding large portions of the country to ransom.

Just so that no one should think I support Thaksin Shinawatra: Through his obvious contempt for the law, e.g. his "war on drugs", his government lost its legitimacy long before the 2006 coup d'etat.

/ Priceless

Disolving parliament and calling a new election will solve nothing, the first effect will be that the country is left without leadership in a time when the world is in big strife.

There would be two possible outcomes the first is the status quo with the democrats again forming a govt as they have done legally now.

The second is that next time the PPP would be able to buy enough MP's to form a govt, how much was it they offered last time? several Mill.

If that happened the first thing they would do would be to pass a bill exonerating Taxin and reuniting him with his money, he would then be given a job (be in charge) Possibly President for life. He will have learnt from Mugaby and the Castro Brothers.

Wheather there was votes bought last time is irrelavent they are bought everywhere, BO"s tax cut promises are a good example, seems to me it is more honest to buy a vote with cash before the election than with a promise that can be broken after. Still vote buying in any form should be out.

Give the present Govt a chance, they have showed decisivness this time although a little late.

PS . Looks like they have got the gas tanker away from the flats and the residents are looking for a red to beat up, the army are now local heros.

It is the time to called PM Abhisit to step down and he don't waste anymore time. Damages being done in the international reputation, property and people. More and more red shirts is attacking at most of the provinces based on the TV News. Also ex-PM Thaksin should stop this activity and called off the red shirts back home so that Songkran will be white rather than black.

I am also a farang and my embassy called me see whether we are alright or not. Therefore we hope that the Suvarnabhumi International Bangkok Airport will not close or nearby the location will not be interupted on Thursday. Based on the TV news showing the video clips, most of the intersections within the highways being blocked by red shirts include the rail track intersections. Getting more serious this round.

If you guys don't believe it, it is better to walk around Bangkok to see what's happen. Don't only read the papers online, watch the TV news.

I hope that PM Abhisit be humble down and if he love the country, he should resign immediately and restore the country by election.

Some clips I took today.

Good stuff...but with all those shots fired, the should have been more than a few bodies...blanks?

The army spokeman said that the soldiers were using blanks. Dan Rivers report filed on CNN tends to confirm this. He said he had not seen many injured people, and no deaths, in his observations at the front lines.

Let me guess you must be on assignment for National Geographic~! It would be far better for foreigners not to get involved in this at all, leave that for the press. What were you thinking?

Edited by CrossBones

Police fail to convince protesters to move gas truck

Police's attempt to convince red shirted protesters to move away gas truck from Din Daeng area failed Monday at about 2.37pm.

People living in the area were seen running away from the scene as the protesters reportedly soaked a cloth with oil.

A reporter at the scene reported that he saw the protesters beat Din Daeng residents.

it keeps getting uglier and uglier, I hope some one takes controll of this mess sooner than later.

I think everyone should step down and FRESH elections should be held.... But will it really solve anything? or just prolong this ongoing 60year battle?

i think fresh elections will put an immediate end to the chaos. the reds, have pretty much had their say, so have the yellows, I think that is the two main pressure groups of Thailand, now its time for the people to have their say.

Abhisits puppet masters .... are the stubbon ones, who don't give a fukc about this country.

the army will never be able to control the reds, they will mushroom up from all parts of the country and conduct gurillea style civil disobedience.

some of their brothers have been killed, many are injured.

The quicker fresh elections are held.... the better

you mean the quicker that a country bows down to a bunch of ill equipped hooligans the better?

next thing any one of thailands neighbours will be thinking

'hey they are an easy target, lets invade''

also when thse rural folks are taking thaksins 500baht and seeing for themselves what the reds are doing to Thailand, do they not think for one minute:

hey 'what if these reds win?' and that ''these are the kind of people that i am going to trust to form a government to rule over me''

the same thugs that are paying me now?

do thais not think that far in front?

Some clips I took today.

Unfortunatelly that was a REAL shooting, not a blanks but in the air and there was a sounds like rubber bullits making in fireshooting. That was not a sound of shooting gas.

Just wish will not go further to escalate clashes.

Police fail to convince protesters to move gas truck

Police's attempt to convince red shirted protesters to move away gas truck from Din Daeng area failed Monday at about 2.37pm.

People living in the area were seen running away from the scene as the protesters reportedly soaked a cloth with oil.

A reporter at the scene reported that he saw the protesters beat Din Daeng residents.

it keeps getting uglier and uglier, I hope some one takes controll of this mess sooner than later.

I think everyone should step down and FRESH elections should be held.... But will it really solve anything? or just prolong this ongoing 60year battle?

i think fresh elections will put an immediate end to the chaos. the reds, have pretty much had their say, so have the yellows, I think that is the two main pressure groups of Thailand, now its time for the people to have their say.

Abhisits puppet masters .... are the stubbon ones, who don't give a fukc about this country.

the army will never be able to control the reds, they will mushroom up from all parts of the country and conduct gurillea style civil disobedience.

some of their brothers have been killed, many are injured.

The quicker fresh elections are held.... the better

you mean the quicker that a country bows down to a bunch of ill equipped hooligans the better?

next thing any one of thailands neighbours will be thinking

'hey they are an easy target, lets invade''

also when thse rural folks are taking thaksins 500baht and seeing for themselves what the reds are doing to Thailand, do they not think for one minute:

hey 'what if these reds win?' and that ''these are the kind of people that i am going to trust to form a government to rule over me''

the same thugs that are paying me now?

do thais not think that far in front?

I don't know, can you really group an entire nation into one?

It worked for the YELLOW movement. At this point scrapping everyone and then holding elections would or should make both the REDs and YELLOWs happy....

and Steppenwolf, your comments reduce you to the same level of hate and ignorance. There is right and wrong, good and bad, black and white, red and yellow, white and blue. On Thaivisa, on thai streets and every other street, home, ship, airplane, desert and ocean. Please don't rush to judge anyone on this website or in this country. Interesting that the concerns, emotions, loyalties and sarcasm raised in this forum echo that on the streets. Violence, physical or psychological is contagious. So please all, remember it is otherwise Songkran (a fact not lost on Thaksin!) and accept some cool water on your neck.

p.s my family and relatives switched off the TV and went out to anoint each other in the streets, 2hrs from BKK. Few thais there have any interest in BKK or Pattaya and are getting on with their lives and celebrations. Feel free to analyse that!

Sawut Dii Pi Mai, Chao Thai!

Here are some more videos, for anyone interested:

Third video is a bit surprising. One of the Red Shirts is dancing on a police van holding a picture of the highly revered King Bhumibol. Presumably, he feels the king is there to protect everyone, including the Red Shirts.

UN refers to Thai police as the biggest organized criminal gang on the planet.

Where was this?

google is your friend :o

My friend seems to be telling me that this fact is actually an inference somebody has drawn on their blog.

Edited by ovenman

I am just back from Pratunam and Makkasan intersections.

It's amazing how much interruptions so few people can cause.

Sorry for linking to a blog for photos, but this is the quickest way I can share them. There will be more photos added later on.

(the blog is ad free)

http://nosoundtheory.wordpress.com/

I have updated with a few more images.

I spoke to my extended family today (and some of them are leaning red shirts). None of the supported the Red Shirts activities. They were, to a one, horrified at the scene of the red shirts beating the PM's secretary, and completely support the government working to restore order to the capital. I would say that if they feel this way, its safe to say that most Thai's also feel that way. When my red shirt leaning family saw them park the LGV gas truck next to the apartment complex, they were well and truly horrified.

I wish everyone stays safe and sound during this trying day.

According to a thai newspaper online about 25 redshirts attempted to protest in Nakhon si Thammarat and had to be rescued from an angry crowd of about 400 people by the police. It would seem you do not necessarily understand the hatred and contempt that Southerners hold for Thaksin and his cronies.

yeh i know they hate thaskin.

but everything has its price.

bribe the local mafia.

bribe the police.

hire a big group of tough guys.

not beyond the realm of possibility, provided it is organised and executed properly.

I can invite you, and you can bring some of your red friends too, in my area. I'm sure, also bribing cops and hiring thugs, you'll have a very 'warm welcome'. :D

Please, don't troll too much, you have a troll like avatar already :o

It is the time to called PM Abhisit to step down and he don't waste anymore time. Damages being done in the international reputation, property and people. More and more red shirts is attacking at most of the provinces based on the TV News. Also ex-PM Thaksin should stop this activity and called off the red shirts back home so that Songkran will be white rather than black.

I am also a farang and my embassy called me see whether we are alright or not. Therefore we hope that the Suvarnabhumi International Bangkok Airport will not close or nearby the location will not be interupted on Thursday. Based on the TV news showing the video clips, most of the intersections within the highways being blocked by red shirts include the rail track intersections. Getting more serious this round.

If you guys don't believe it, it is better to walk around Bangkok to see what's happen. Don't only read the papers online, watch the TV news.

I hope that PM Abhisit be humble down and if he love the country, he should resign immediately and restore the country by election.

Yes, just give in and let the reds win.... NOT. how ridiculous, it is nothing to do with being humble.

Why are you telling people to go and walk around Bangkok into the front line to see whats happening?? Is that what you do???? I think the best advice is to keep completely away from it.

I think the army is doing an 'ok' job for now.. we will see as the days go on. Abhisit was quoted as saying give them about 4 days to try and restore peace.

UN refers to Thai police as the biggest organized criminal gang on the planet.

Where was this?

google is your friend :o

My friend seems to be telling me that this fact is actually an inference somebody has drawn on their blog.

Ofcourse it's an inference on some blog, like the UN would ever publish anything with that kind of inflammatory language :D

I spoke to my extended family today (and some of them are leaning red shirts). None of the supported the Red Shirts activities. They were, to a one, horrified at the scene of the red shirts beating the PM's secretary, and completely support the government working to restore order to the capital. I would say that if they feel this way, its safe to say that most Thai's also feel that way.

I spoke to a Thai in the 7/11 who supported the red shirts and blamed the Army for this escalation and the Government's inability to control the situation.

I would say that if he felt that way, it is safe to say most Thais also feel that way.

I spoke to a Thai in the 7/11 who supported the red shirts and blamed the Army for this escalation and the Government's inability to control the situation.

I would say that if he felt that way, it is safe to say most Thais also feel that way.

Thank you. I needed a good laugh today.

I spoke to my extended family today (and some of them are leaning red shirts). None of the supported the Red Shirts activities. They were, to a one, horrified at the scene of the red shirts beating the PM's secretary, and completely support the government working to restore order to the capital. I would say that if they feel this way, its safe to say that most Thai's also feel that way.

My wife is from Surin...she said shoot the Reds! I guess your wrong about the way most Thais feel;)

So your survey of one person gives you to conclude all Thais feel that way. You win the award for the most ludicrous BS so far - well done

lol to true...

You can't base what most "Thai;s think" off of a polling sample of a few people... it just does not hold up, a true poll across provinces run through a monteycarlo model... until then... well stop pretending to know what most thai's think

:o

lol to true...

You can't base what most "Thai;s think" off of a polling sample of a few people... it just does not hold up, a true poll across provinces run through a monteycarlo model... until then... well stop pretending to know what most thai's think

Not a few - one

I went to Family Mart spoke to a thai and they were againt the red shirts, It is safe to say that most thais also feel that way !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Read what you wrote again. It's contradictory and doesn't make any sense.

I went to Family Mart spoke to a thai and they were againt the red shirts, It is safe to say that most thais also feel that way !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Okay okay....

I would say that most Thai's (apart from the extremists) probably don't give a hoot about the reds, the yellows or the blues. (Or the falangs!). They probably care more about their 'sanook' and songkran..... and are probably as confused as we all are about who the good guys really are...... coz.....

it doesn't look like there are any.

Okay okay....

I would say that most Thai's (apart from the extremists) probably don't give a hoot about the reds, the yellows or the blues. (Or the falangs!). They probably care more about their 'sanook' and songkran..... and are probably as confused as we all are about who the good guys really are...... coz.....

it doesn't look like there are any.

Too True!