State Of Emergency Declared For Bangkok

george

I am pretty interested in politics, but I don't know many of the UDD webpages. so with this information you are no way the bystander you claim to be.

After listening to pro-Government comments all day, I wanted to hear the other side of the story; specifically, the UDD response to the crackdown. I See nothing wrong with that.

** OFF TOPIC - Anyone experiencing any thaivisa site slowdowns? Took me forever to post this...

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The M16 assault rifle is the key, anybody who know's the weapon would be asking a lot of questions, they are the most leathol of all assault rifles, designed to kill and are very very accurate up to 100m and are seconded only by Sniper rifles.

In other words they could easily take of a person's leg at 100m and not kill them, in a demonstration this would cause an instant panic situation.

AJE in my opinion are the best news channel far better than CNN and BBC who never report the facts from both sides. I guess they were waiting for official statistics on Red death's before printing the 2 civilian casualties which haven't been released as yet. Anyway now AJE have.

http://english.aljazeera.net/news/asia-pac...5656292843.html

Only the first paragraph of the story talks about the 2 people killed

Two men have been killed in Bangkok as anti-government protesters and soldiers fought battles on the streets of the Thai capital.

-Al Jazeera (link in monkfish's post)

It does not mention that these 2 were killed by UDD members, which i've seen confirmed by 3 sources including an eye witness and a doctor plus the mainstream media. So it seems that AJE does slant their news or at least it does in this case.

What are the names of the UDD who killed the the innocent victims? What weapons were used? Have they been arrested? Is there any proof? etc etc

Are CNN and BBC reporting the same? Do not believe Thai news until it has been confirmed because its mostly propaganda.

They were shot, during the clashes with the market vendors. Asking about names and asking if they have been arrested is asking a bit much

since this happened in an area where even the army does not have full control yet.

Sure thai media slants, but they are not propaganda machines (atleast not the english newspapers), they do report what happens and don't write blatant lies. Anyway this story was twittered from an eyewitness before it hit the newswires and confirmed by a doctor in a hospital close by. So yeah pretty sure that this has happened.

No evidence yet you believe it? read the news again, I am sorry but in Thailand they are!

"The two men, who were allegedly gunned down by the red-shirts, are identified as Pom Polphanbua, aged 54, and Yuthakarn, 19."

http://www.bangkokpost.com/breakingnews/14...leaves-two-dead

Been watching it for the last week or so in Bangers/Mai and only just got back last night but have recieved a number of calls from London based Thais asking if its been shut down?....

assume it has ...anyone confirm.... :o

D-Station has been off the air since the early evening (I believe). According to the local media, troops stormed the Thaicom facility and shut it down.

Has anyone noticed that D-Station's website has now gone offline too? Either censored or hijacked. So much for free speech in Thailand.

Red mob is killing people in Bangkok....now it is not the time for free speech and let them communicate, now is the time to stop that.

Innocent until proven guilty???

There is one big problem in Thailand.

All news companies or agents require a license from the government to operate!

That's why they only print what the Government wants, otherwise there license is rebuked, I thought everybody know that???

With firm control over the local news media, the amount of propaganda coming from the Government is quite 'appalling'. I'm not one to accuse the Government of lying, but the truth definitely isn't getting out beyond the borders of the Government House. What you are witnessing is just a glimpse of a bigger and gruesome picture. Quite the opposite from what PM Abhisit or Mr. Suthep wants you to see or believe. It's pathetic. I never thought I'd be saying this, but I'm beginning to feel sympathy towards the protesters.

I guess the point I'm trying to make is, don't trust everything you read or hear; to put it bluntly, don't be a naive little sh*t. There are both sides to every story, be objective and keep an open mind. No one can cover up the truth -- not the Government, PAD, UDD, or even Thaksin.

That's an awful lot of innuendo. Do you have any facts you'd care to share? The government is not blocking your posts here.

If hard evidence is what you're after, I can't provide any, not unless you could understand Thai, in which case, I'll see what I can dig up... It seems quite a few (non-UDD) local websites featuring the crackdown have also been blocked. Shame on them! I could however, access blocked sites using VPN; that is, if the sites haven't been taken offline. In a crisis like this, there's an awful lot of rumors and propaganda abound... Most things I hear and read (regardless of source), I take it with a grain of salt. This is Thailand afterall.

Just listen to some of the things Mr. Suthep Tuaksubaan has been spitting out on national TV. This guy is unbelievable. I would like nothing more than to see this mofo retire and disappear into the jungle. If there's anyone who's giving Abhisit a bad reputation it's him, alongside Newin Chidchob. I sort of feel sorry for Abhisit as he's nothing more than a puppet in this whole ordeal.

P.S. It's 04:35 am, time to call it the night... Good night everyone.

When will it end? The red core leaders do believe their broad goals justifies the means they use. It is too much too fast. Their goals could come anyway without violence though taking much more time.

Blue shirts Saturday morning at Asean meeting in Pattaya: Earlier it was discussed who some of them were (Newin or Buri Ram connected some say). The red shirts claim they only reacted to the blues first strike... some eyewitness say the blues started the violence.

Amongst the leaders of reds on their drive from Bangkok to Sin City last Friday, they likely were fearful upon hearing of who exactly composed the blue shirts. On Friday they did not have large numbers to protect themselves. They called for back up. Hundreds of taxis drove down along with buses full of red shirts. The reds preference may have been for a peaceful demonstration, however amongst them there were those that were not going to take s..t from anyone. I saw fire in eyes.

First blood occured on Buddha hill Saturday morning and when it will stop flowing is up to the CORE people pressing for their goal. Coming from a country that had it's own civil war between south and north over exploited people (slaves in southern US), I think Thais will perfect their system in ways we will continue to be puzzeled by.

Has anyone noticed that D-Station's website has now gone offline too? Either censored or hijacked. So much for free speech in Thailand.

Red mob is killing people in Bangkok....now it is not the time for free speech and let them communicate, now is the time to stop that.

Hmm, which mob? Just because they're wearing "red" isn't saying much. Could it be some street punks or teenage junkies looking for some action on a (chaotic) night out downtown? A possibility, although I don't think we'll ever find out whos side they're on or what their purpose really is. The whole situation is just f_ucked up.

I'm off to bed (for real), folks. Later.

Turning the tables - I recall when the red shirts surrounded government house, they would not let food delivery trucks in to get food to the soldiers. I guess turnabout is fair play, as the soldiers aren't allowing food and water deliveries to the 30,000 red shirt protesters at government house now surrounded by the soldiers.

Hellooooooo? I guess someone doesn't notice that we are under the state of emergency law now which means some of your normal rights are forfeited.

A bit slow on the uptake do you? :o

Hmm, which mob? Just because they're wearing "red" isn't saying much. Could it be some street punks or teenage junkies looking for some action on a (chaotic) night out downtown? A possibility, although I don't think we'll ever find out whos side they're on or what their purpose really is. The whole situation is just f_ucked up.

I'm off to bed (for real), folks. Later.

Really? I mean c'mon. To claim that these dudes are so much more extreme than the mob that set half the capital of Thailand on fire, hijacked 50 busses to use as battering rams and blockades, threw molotov cocktails and attempted to use LPG trucks as IED's, the same mob that plowed through the city with weapons in hand assaulting unarmed bystanders along the way, to say this incident isn't something that was forseeable is a little far fetched. I mean yeah, it sucks for the red shirts who just had something to say but wanted to do so peacefully, but honestly, how important is the color of their t-shirt? Can't they say the same thing wearing whatever? The red shirts have formed a gang mentality, and no one should associate themselves to them by any means.

* Humour of it is a bit lost on me, but the double take after a mention of 500 baht cash in one of Thaksin's video phone-in's before it all hit the fan is a subject of a few laughs. Here's a

/edit - on second watch the video is ace! Would love somebody to confirm the translation :D

I've asked for confirmations and explanations on the language forum at http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Confirmation...hi-t257245.html , but the interpretation seems pukka.

Well, I'd believe he's talking about 500 Baht for older ppl too but if you watch the one without subtitle and look at his facial expression after he said those words . I'll say it's Freudian slip :o

Priceless......

Turning the tables - I recall when the red shirts surrounded government house, they would not let food delivery trucks in to get food to the soldiers. I guess turnabout is fair play, as the soldiers aren't allowing food and water deliveries to the 30,000 red shirt protesters at government house now surrounded by the soldiers.

That would be very silly.

The Army are the government. If the group at government house are peaceful then if the government by way of the Army prevents food and water being delivered then Abhisit can go to see the UNHCR and explain this little escapade.

He claimes peaceful demonstration is ok, but then denies basic Human Rights.

Whoops, that would be another clanger in line with the ASEAN summit "ok to go ahead" speeches.

At this juncture nobody knows who is doing what.

Blue shirts dressed as Red creating trouble.

Ex-Yellow dressed as Red creating trouble.

Thugs and hooligans using Red for fun.

Some Red shirts creating trouble.

Its all a mess.

Rewind time is needed. Get rid of all Blue shirts. Get the Army off the street, allow the police to take over, get the Reds back to government house and peaceful protest.

This all went wrong when the Army were called on to the streets, and so they need to be taken off for things to calm down again.

I guess I'm fairly new around here, Level Head, but clearly you are neither new or, well, Level Headed. Yes, get the army off the streets by all means, but only after the threat posed by a murderous bunch of goons for hire has been completely eradicated, obviously. The next step is to take out the source of that threat, in whatever spider hole Thaksin has opted to crawl into.

HG

Soldiers are untouchable, they shouldnt mess with things and should never mess with things in Thailand. I've yet to see any higher militant general being charged for their crime, they always have excuses, and it works, because they are heavily armed.

This all went wrong when the Army were called on to the streets, and so they need to be taken off for things to calm down again.

Actually that is when things started to improve. Your red friends were running amok before. Great job to the PM and armed forces for restoring transportation routes and city intersections quickly and efficiently, with minimal casualties.

LOoks like the PM and government will come out of this situation stronger than before in the eyes of the Thai people, which means all of the efforts of the red shirts were for naught anyway.

I guess I'm fairly new around here, Level Head, but clearly you are neither new or, well, Level Headed. Yes, get the army off the streets by all means, but only after the threat posed by a murderous bunch of goons for hire has been completely eradicated, obviously. The next step is to take out the source of that threat, in whatever spider hole Toxin has opted to crawl into.

HG

Agreed. Certainly the normal thing to do.

How many warnings have these reds had? I don't favor any side, but commonsense would tell you to stop...... and LH suggests 'blood is on Abhisits' hands' if one red has been killed...... OMG! They've been warned again and again.

Likened analogy: Go play with a lion. I will warn you repeatedly and repeatedly not to. When it bites your head off cause you didn't listen, then somebody has to take the rap.

This is the kind of mentality that supports criminals can take legal action if they trip over something and break your leg while breaking into your house!

They've had so many warnings and now they're just idiots. They'll try their best to find, or no doubt create dead bodies to bring Abhisit down..... but he has no control over the military, right? So why is he responsible?

You twist your words to make your point, LH. Can only squirm for so long. Taksin has done the same, saying in the interview "No....no. nooo..... I'm been offering moral support only...." .... Let's see how that goes down with some of the reds! The leader has abandoned ship for his own ass!

US condemns Thai violence by pro-Thaksin protests

The United States on Monday condemned violence by red shirted protesters in Thailand and urged Americans visiting Bangkok to exercise caution.

State Department spokesman Robert Wood told US media the US is watching events "very closely" in Thailand, where pro-Thaksin protesters battled soldiers and Bangkok residents.

The United States condemned "this unacceptable violence by the protesters," Wood said.

He said the United States urged the "protesters and their leaders to foreswear additional... use of violence, to exercise their right to assembly, but... to do so... peacefully."

"Our desire to see tensions reduced and for there not to be violence -- that's something that certainly the government of Thailand knows is the position of the United States," he said.

The State Department warned citizens visiting Thailand that "demonstrations intended to be peaceful can turn confrontational and possibly escalate into violence."

"American citizens are therefore urged to avoid the areas of demonstrations and to exercise caution anywhere in Bangkok," it said in a message to US travelers.

Source - http://www.nationmultimedia.com/2009/04/14...es_30100491.php

Edited by OptimusPrimeBKK

Abhisit says Govt nearly achieves goal to restore order

Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva gave a live TV address, saying the government's mission to restore law and order is about to complete soon.

He said he is confident that with public support, the goal will be achieved within the Songkran holidays.

He also urged demonstrators, who genuinely fought for their political ideology, to return home so that the government could take action against wrongdoers.

The prime minister also urged the public to explain the truth to foreign media after the red-shirted movement tried to spread rumors that the government killed innocent demonstrators.

The Nation - http://www.nationmultimedia.com/breakingne...oal-to-restore-

Local residents at Yommaraj, Nang Lerng intersections battle red-shirts

The Nation

About 500 local residents near the Yommaraj Intersection gathered to confront the red-shirted protesters after they set fires on roads.

They clashed with the protesters after they protesters refused to put out the blazes they set to things used as barricades.

Meanwhile, vendors and local residents near the Nang Lerng Market gathered to form line to guard their properties and shouted at the red-shirted protesters.

They shooed away the protesters who threatened to slam their motorcycles at the local residents.

This shows how out of touch the red's are, the locals can't stand them

Not out of touch, they're from out of town. BIG difference!

PM urges red shirts to go home

By: Pichai ChuensuksawadiPublished: 14/04/2009 at 12:04 AM After government troops managed to clear most of Bangkok of red shirt protesters after a day of tense confrontation, Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva on Monday urged city residents to continue to assist authorities in restoring peace and order and the rule of law back to the country.

Even though most of the city had been secured, Mr Abhisit said that there was a high risk of attempts to cause confusion and attacks throughout the night at key spots and installations across the city. He urged the public to be the “eyes and ears” for authorities who had been deployed to provide security.

The prime minister also urged the main bloc of protesters at Government House to return home, adding that authorities were prepared to assist them.

In a late night announcement on television at 11pm, the prime minister said that authorities had spent the whole day trying to bring back peace, normalcy and order to the capital.

He said red shirt protesters had adopted various tactics across the city from closing roads, placing a gas tanker at the Din Daeng intersection and confronting residents in other communities.

Mr Abhisit said that he was happy to report that most of the city had returned to normal with the exception of the current protest at Government House.

He said authorities had tried the measured and soft approach. They had not only managed to restore peace and order throughout most of the city but had managed to clean up the streets of debris and blockades that had been set up by protesters.

Mr Abhisit said he was “satisfied” with the results of the day’s operation because it did not result in a single loss of life. He said there had been attempts by various people to claim that tens or hundreds of people had died as the result of operations by troops.

Mr Abhisit said this was illogical. The government’s actions had been transparent, and if as many people had died as claimed, such events would not have escaped the scrutiny of the media and press.

He said hospitals which treated but injured and wounded protesters and government troops and officials, had been open about the information of casualties.

The government has ensured that injured and wounded protesters were given treatment.

The prime minister urged the public to trust the government approach in resolving the current crisis and not to listen to disinformation spread by leaders of the protesters.

Mr Abhisit said he was saddened by the news of a clash in the evening between red shirt protesters and residents living in the Nang Lerng area in which tow residents were shot dead and several others wounded.

The prime minister said that once he was informed of the incident he ensured that authorities were dispatched to the area.

With regards the protesters at Government House, Mr Abhisit said that there are those who are protesting who have every intention to protest peacefully according to their democratic rights. Mr Abhisit said he hears what they are saying but urged them to be wary of those among them who have shown clear intentions to use force in their protests.

The prime minister said if these protesters wanted to return home, the government was prepared to assist them.

Mr Abhisit added that there were attempts to twist the truth by using the foreign media, apparently referring to former Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra’s interview with CNN.

The prime minister thanked all government officials and troops who have worked tirelessly and under considerable pressure and constraints in performing their duties today. He said that he knows they are tired but praised them for acting not for the benefit of the government but for the security of the country.

He also praised the bravery and sacrifice of city residents who supported government authorities in the performance of their duties. He reiterated that he would spend the next few days to return normalcy and the rule of law back to the country, adding that with the support of the public, he was confident that this objective would be achieved.

Source - BKK Post http://www.bangkokpost.com/breakingnews/14...irts-to-go-home