State Of Emergency Declared For Bangkok

george

And yet again and again, all these people arguing and posting threads from the papers and yet not even one person has the real facts or information to argue politics.

Lets hope Cambodia will seize an opportunity and take control over the disputed temple while Thailand is too busy to deal with their internal problems

and people, please please stop insulting each other and discussing Thai politics, YOU DO NOT KNOW IT. THAIS THEMSELVES DO NOT KNOW IT.

As for the insults, of course of limits. More worrying, you think Thai's don't know about Thai politics.

As for discussing it, I don't think anything written here has even a 0.000001% effect on the outcome of Thai politics, but it is interesting banter and possibly informative. Life here is difficult enough legally even though I am largely responsible for the care of 4 of your citizens and extended family, so am I supposed to not even think any more, even though tomorrow morning there is a good probability that there will be blood on the same streets that you and I may walk.

I would suggest the right attitude would be to encourage your fellow countrymen to think about it a lot more than screaming, FARANG DON"T THINK.

The vast majority of us had nothing to do with creating this mess, it is Thai's to solve, we are generally nothing more than very concerned onlookers with responsibilities for which your government isn't about to provide even though I fund it.

"I am largely responsible for the care of 4 of your citizens and extended family" My citizens??? what made you think i was Thai?

Since you know more, why do not you go ask all the 4 people and their extended family about Thai politics and see what answers you will get.

"I would suggest the right attitude would be to encourage your fellow countrymen to think about it a lot more than screaming, FARANG DON"T THINK."

May i suggest you actually read the posts properly prior to replying! my fellow countrymen???Who would that be?

So now that you married and supporting her entire family and village, does it give you a better understanding into Thai politics?

I been living here for over 5 years and as much as i try to follow it, have not learned much. Looking at the statements government officials make which contradict each other daily-they do not seem to have any idea, but i guess when you are a sponsor of the village-you know it all.

But i really do not have the time or desire to get into argument over Thai politics with people that can not even read the posting properly and make assumptions based on only god knows what.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And i rest my case once again"This is the Thai News Clippings " Thai news interpreted by an individual.

So what the f do you know about Thai politics other then getting it from Thai translated papers?NOTHING

Express your concerns about the situation or your hopes for the future, but do not get into discussion or argument over Thai politics, because you know nothing about it and hence it is you and people commenting on Thai politics look like fools.

Actually the english language news sites (the nation/bangkok post/reuters/BBC/AFP) have their own reporters reporting directly in wnglish so nothing is translated. The reporters from the newspapers are thai nationals that write in english so they have a good grip on situation are are able to put that into english.

So we have credible news stories made by credile journalists, so why is it wrong to discuss the politics? Do you feel that we a non thai are incapable of understanding politics? Are thai's so spectalularly different that us mere farang could not possibly hope to understand what is going on?

I therefore contest the notion that we look like fools and that you should refrain from posting words to that effect, lest you be yourself be called a fool.

For those of you who get your views of Thai politics from your wives here's a little caveat!

I tried to explain to mine why Abhisit was perfectly within his rights to refuse calls for a new election as his was a legitimate government of elected MPs. Was she interested in hearing this piece of news? Or even my explanation of the electoral processes?

Not a bit of it - Her mother had told her that Abhisit is an unelected, undemocratic monster - so he must be.

Where did mother get her views? From talking to some bloke in the village who had been to listen to a Thaksin rally.

your wife is right - he is undemocratically PM! he got in by democratically elected 'leaders' changing sides - ok for temp thing UNTIL elections but current govt. are not saying they will hold new elections - Thai people are up in arms - and so they should be - let a new election happen and everything is difused... NO ONE has voted him PM! you don't get it???

PS BTW no one voted Brown into British PM and we don't like that either!!! AND he will pay price at next election - you have to have a MANDATE!!!

Well, obviously you don't have to, but im sure it makes things easier if you do...

For those of you who get your views of Thai politics from your wives here's a little caveat!

I tried to explain to mine why Abhisit was perfectly within his rights to refuse calls for a new election as his was a legitimate government of elected MPs. Was she interested in hearing this piece of news? Or even my explanation of the electoral processes?

Not a bit of it - Her mother had told her that Abhisit is an unelected, undemocratic monster - so he must be.

Where did mother get her views? From talking to some bloke in the village who had been to listen to a Thaksin rally.

your wife is right - he is undemocratically PM! he got in by democratically elected 'leaders' changing sides - ok for temp thing UNTIL elections but current govt. are not saying they will hold new elections - Thai people are up in arms - and so they should be - let a new election happen and everything is difused... NO ONE has voted him PM! you don't get it???

Obviously you don't get it... Parliament elects your PM.

Hmmm any sensible new PM elected by their Party would want a 'popular' mandate - you know - you are not stupid - the only reason current governemnt are 'in' is because the democratically elected govt. were kicked out through legal process - NOT BY ELECTION

Am i the only one that thinks democracy clearly does not work in some country's?

You should not be too hard on the thais, they have only been at it for 30 years, remember it took europe quite a while to get the whole democracy thing right.

*edit for clarification

They got it right? :o

Well more or less, at least we make a jolly good go of it :D

and you are technically INCORRECT - Parliament DOES NOT ELECT PM - the Party in power does - or am I being picky?

Not taking sides but this is the system that works in most Western democracies. Nobody but the MPs elect the prime minister. I vote for my MP who then in turn elects a Prime Minister. There is no system for the people to elect a prime minister like the Americans do with a President.

In the UK, Gordon Brown is the PM. No one has voted him PM just like Abhisit because its impossible for them to do so.

And yet again and again, all these people arguing and posting threads from the papers and yet not even one person has the real facts or information to argue politics.

Lets hope Cambodia will seize an opportunity and take control over the disputed temple while Thailand is too busy to deal with their internal problems

and people, please please stop insulting each other and discussing Thai politics, YOU DO NOT KNOW IT. THAIS THEMSELVES DO NOT KNOW IT.

This is the Thai News Clippings forum. What are we supposed to do here? Trade recipies and knit socks?

If you know more about this, please educate us. Otherwise your comments just make you look :o

And i rest my case once again"This is the Thai News Clippings " Thai news interpreted by an individual.

So what the f do you know about Thai politics other then getting it from Thai translated papers?NOTHING

Express your concerns about the situation or your hopes for the future, but do not get into discussion or argument over Thai politics, because you know nothing about it and hence it is you and people commenting on Thai politics look like fools.

Are you an expert on Thai politics ?

Because to the average viewer they look like rank idiots and more & more like the poorly educated savages they truly are.

No i am not, and hence why you do not see me post or argue anything about the politics.

Some have expressed their opinion and left it at that-good on them, others got into an argument and insults and trying to prove each other wrong or right-yet both relying on what they read or hear in non native tongue.Not to mention how many of those arguing and insulting actually live in Thailand

and you are technically INCORRECT - Parliament DOES NOT ELECT PM - the Party in power does - or am I being picky?

Maybe not picky enough, it's a majority coalition of MP's which elect the PM.

Not taking sides but this is the system that works in most Western democracies. Nobody but the MPs elect the prime minister. I vote for my MP who then in turn elects a Prime Minister. There is no system for the people to elect a prime minister like the Americans do with a President.

In the UK, Gordon Brown is the PM. No one has voted him PM just like Abhisit because its impossible for them to do so.

That's technically true - but we all know that people like to have a 'feeling' of choosing their leader - look at Gerald Ford... people often vote 'defferentially' for the leader of the Party - Thias want to know they 'chose' the PM - natural - so... let them have a choice - if he wins he would get all our support as democratically elected... right??? I would certainley defend it - but I find it difficult to argue agains my Thai friends who say 'but we didn't vote for him OR his party'

As for the insults, of course of limits. More worrying, you think Thai's don't know about Thai politics.

As for discussing it, I don't think anything written here has even a 0.000001% effect on the outcome of Thai politics, but it is interesting banter and possibly informative. Life here is difficult enough legally even though I am largely responsible for the care of 4 of your citizens and extended family, so am I supposed to not even think any more, even though tomorrow morning there is a good probability that there will be blood on the same streets that you and I may walk.

I would suggest the right attitude would be to encourage your fellow countrymen to think about it a lot more than screaming, FARANG DON"T THINK.

The vast majority of us had nothing to do with creating this mess, it is Thai's to solve, we are generally nothing more than very concerned onlookers with responsibilities for which your government isn't about to provide even though I fund it.

"I am largely responsible for the care of 4 of your citizens and extended family" My citizens??? what made you think i was Thai?

Since you know more, why do not you go ask all the 4 people and their extended family about Thai politics and see what answers you will get.

"I would suggest the right attitude would be to encourage your fellow countrymen to think about it a lot more than screaming, FARANG DON"T THINK."

May i suggest you actually read the posts properly prior to replying! my fellow countrymen???Who would that be?

So now that you married and supporting her entire family and village, does it give you a better understanding into Thai politics?

I been living here for over 5 years and as much as i try to follow it, have not learned much. Looking at the statements government officials make which contradict each other daily-they do not seem to have any idea, but i guess when you are a sponsor of the village-you know it all.

But i really do not have the time or desire to get into argument over Thai politics with people that can not even read the posting properly and make assumptions based on only god knows what.

"I been living here for over 5 years and as much as i try to follow it, have not learned much."

Kuffki, I work together with Thai people who are deeply into Thai politics and it is a pleasure to see them argue, discuss, disagree and thinking about how to make it better. I admit that this isn't the case for the majority of population but stating flat that: "YOU DO NOT KNOW IT. THAIS THEMSELVES DO NOT KNOW IT" is an insult to all Thais who are aware what's going on right now.

Hmmm any sensible new PM elected by their Party would want a 'popular' mandate - you know - you are not stupid - the only reason current governemnt are 'in' is because the democratically elected govt. were kicked out through legal process - NOT BY ELECTION

Let's see... kicked out through legal process, which means the elected government was not properly elected, which pretty much means they broke the law to get elected.

The Straights Times of Singapore has some good reporting on the troubles. The photos of the PM's limo or decoy limo are amazing...pretty scary stuff.

PM claims he was in the car at the time of the attack contrary to some reports.

post-71924-1239550027_thumb.jpg

Edited by MeetJohnDoe

Actually the english language news sites (the nation/bangkok post/reuters/BBC/AFP) have their own reporters reporting directly in wnglish so nothing is translated. The reporters from the newspapers are thai nationals that write in english so they have a good grip on situation are are able to put that into english.

So we have credible news stories made by credile journalists, so why is it wrong to discuss the politics? Do you feel that we a non thai are incapable of understanding politics? Are thai's so spectalularly different that us mere farang could not possibly hope to understand what is going on?

I therefore contest the notion that we look like fools and that you should refrain from posting words to that effect, lest you be yourself be called a fool.

There you go, does not even live here but watches CNN/BBC and already is an expert on Thai politics, and i bet my bottom dollar will continue to argue the point that he is right!

And yet again somehow assumed i am Thai-do i need to say anything else about your ability to argue the politics?

Well 19 years and counting, so speak, read, listen and learn from any source you can find. I don't profess to be an expert, but if there is a tank at the end of my road tomorrow morning, and my son asks why, what should I say?

I assumed wrongly about you being Thai, it wasn't meant to be an insult. But not thinking about the place in where you live might and encouraging others to switch of their brains is exactly what got Thailand into this mess. Life here isn't simple, but it is enormously enjoyable and I have made great friends with many good people. Talking here, has no effect on them, but allows me and others to understand peoples attitudes to the country.

I have to say that after 5 years, I didn't have a clue how this country worked, and after 19 I still don't have a full grasp, but it gets a little bigger every day.

There you go, does not even live here but watches CNN/BBC and already is an expert on Thai politics, and i bet my bottom dollar will continue to argue the point that he is right!

And yet again somehow assumed i am Thai-do i need to say anything else about your ability to argue the politics?

Gotta tell you... I put little faith in CNN... even less faith in the BBC.

"I been living here for over 5 years and as much as i try to follow it, have not learned much."

Kuffki, I work together with Thai people who are deeply into Thai politics and it is a pleasure to see them argue, discuss, disagree and thinking about how to make it better. I admit that this isn't the case for the majority of population but stating flat that: "YOU DO NOT KNOW IT. THAIS THEMSELVES DO NOT KNOW IT" is an insult to all Thais who are aware what's going on right now.

You are right! now what % of Thai people follow it and understand it? 1%? 5%? 10%?, So if assuming that 10% do, and 90% do not, how can people not even living here foreigners argue and insult each other over it?

I think you missed my original post and only picked it up half way through.

I would however argue that you cannot read.

1. i live in thailand

2. i never said you were thai

BBC broadcasting that persons should reconsider traveling to Thailand

It is standard procedure that as soon as a government declares a state of emergency in its own capital, other governments issue travel warnings to their citizens. I would not read too much into it, but then again i did advice my friend not to fly over from HK tomorrow.

Gotta tell you... I put little faith in CNN... even less faith in the BBC.

Yes but at least it gives Jonathon D'Head of the BBC something to babble about again from his condo balcony over a few G & T's. Let's not allow facts to get in the way of a good story though.

Well 19 years and counting, so speak, read, listen and learn from any source you can find. I don't profess to be an expert, but if there is a tank at the end of my road tomorrow morning, and my son asks why, what should I say?

I assumed wrongly about you being Thai, it wasn't meant to be an insult. But not thinking about the place in where you live might and encouraging others to switch of their brains is exactly what got Thailand into this mess. Life here isn't simple, but it is enormously enjoyable and I have made great friends with many good people. Talking here, has no effect on them, but allows me and others to understand peoples attitudes to the country.

I have to say that after 5 years, I didn't have a clue how this country worked, and after 19 I still don't have a full grasp, but it gets a little bigger every day.

And this was my point. I never said do not think. I said stop arguing and insulting each other over something we do not really know or understand.

We are not guests.

Guests come to dinner or come for a holiday, they do not live here and contribute to the economy.

I live here and I should have the same civil rights as a Thai. I accept I cannot vote and I am happy to own a condo but I will never accept anyone calling me a 'guest' and the sooner the rest of the foreign residents here do that too the better for us all and Thailand can start to be less racist...

edward, do you have a recidency or citizenship? can the immigration kick you out anytime they want? the answers are for you to contemplate...

We are not guests.

Guests come to dinner or come for a holiday, they do not live here and contribute to the economy.

I live here and I should have the same civil rights as a Thai. I accept I cannot vote and I am happy to own a condo but I will never accept anyone calling me a 'guest' and the sooner the rest of the foreign residents here do that too the better for us all and Thailand can start to be less racist...

Oh come on, you are a guest of the State just as any other ex-pat on the globe is merely a guest. The fact that you contribute to the economy is irrelevant. You freely choose to live in a foreign country on a visa that can be revoked at any time, it is your choice. You are still but a guest and as all guests in all scenarios, you can be asked to leave, which is perhaps the best definition of being a guest. Maybe the racism you encounter might be lessened by your taking a less haughty stand and take a more realistic stand and accept your guest status with a touch of humility.

Watching TV now, a big crowd at government hall, red shirts, rallying, speeches, etc. I thought the State of Emergency forbid large gatherings.

Its called civil disobedience, and is actually well within what western countries call fair play. Attacking politicians, breaking (to many) windows, setting (to many) fires and (too much) violence is not fair play. Neither is tanks in the streets and bullets on protesters no matter how anarchistic they behave...

Why care about western outlook? Mostly because it defines media coverage. Second because this is an expat forum with a majority of western aligned people...

Edited by xminator

Quote from BBC's "The Office" : You're a cock, you're a cock, you're a cock ! Hope that says it all. I'm no. xxxx you are around 30000 up the ladder. So what the F@#k do you think gives you the right to judge others if they are expert in Thai politics. Get a grip man or better get drunk and get off your computer. get a life prick. (yeah and ban me for this if you like... I'm done with his rants)

and there you go!

Great ending from an educated political analyzer.