State Of Emergency Declared For Bangkok

george

Local residents at Yommaraj, Nang Lerng intersections battle red-shirts

The Nation

About 500 local residents near the Yommaraj Intersection gathered to confront the red-shirted protesters after they set fires on roads.

They clashed with the protesters after they protesters refused to put out the blazes they set to things used as barricades.

Meanwhile, vendors and local residents near the Nang Lerng Market gathered to form line to guard their properties and shouted at the red-shirted protesters.

They shooed away the protesters who threatened to slam their motorcycles at the local residents.

This shows how out of touch the red's are, the locals can't stand them

Not out of touch, they're from out of town. BIG difference!

Wife's cousin who experienced the Din Daeng LPG thing directly said:

Many were drunk or out of it

Some were local thugs and drug dealers. Some were not local

They beat anyone randomly who appealed to them to stop

Sympathy for the reds in that area -poor- has completely disintegrated

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

US condemning the rioters. Not surprising after they killed people. Interesting that Thaksin didnt condemn the deaths.

Thaksin, "what deaths" I only gave Bht 500 to law abbiding citizens just like myself to protest so that we can win and I can return and ripe you all of again. Opps maybe I shouldn't have mentioned Bht500.

Edited by Artisi

At this juncture nobody knows who is doing what.

Blue shirts dressed as Red creating trouble.

Ex-Yellow dressed as Red creating trouble.

Thugs and hooligans using Red for fun.

Some Red shirts creating trouble.

Its all a mess.

Rewind time is needed. Get rid of all Blue shirts. Get the Army off the street, allow the police to take over, get the Reds back to government house and peaceful protest.

This all went wrong when the Army were called on to the streets, and so they need to be taken off for things to calm down again.

stop with your propaganda, if you really like the reds don't stay in front a computer but go on the road to fight.

The main thing to concentrate on now going forward is the fact that the PM disgraced the country by saying the ASEAN Summit could go ahead and it was a test of his ability to control............

That is going to haunt him forever.

I for one wont forget his tight lipped smile, and nervous reassurance.

who is going to take him seriously now ?

security was his responsibility not Newins,

newin is an ass kissing incompetent bungling fool

...and Thaksins number 1 bagman/ khmer witch-doctor. What a CV! :o

Its all a mess.

Rewind time is needed. Get rid of all Blue shirts. Get the Army off the street, allow the police to take over, get the Reds back to government house and peaceful protest.

This all went wrong when the Army were called on to the streets, and so they need to be taken off for things to calm down again.

stop with your propaganda, if you really like the reds don't stay in front a computer but go on the road to fight.

My history is fuzzy. Which time was it that armies on the streets shooting their own citizens benefited anyone in any country? It's startling how many people have been supporting the -extremely- heightened level of violence the army has brought down upon the people. There are A LOT of ways to control protesters that do not involve shooting people. The Army is the government, and this is how they maintain control. If you believe in the 'firing blanks' propaganda... look at some more video of the soldiers firing rounds into taxis and buses. I'm not defending the reds here... they have committed violence, but they are being eliminated with extreme prejudice... not just suppressed. There are a few with firearms and pathetic firebombs, but they aren't the only ones being shot. The government has claimed the army has killed NO ONE (remember when Samak made similar claims about a previous crackdown years ago?). Preposterous. It's disgusting, and anyone who cheers on these heavy handed tactics and the lies that go with them should be ashamed.

No, you muppet, it all went wrong when too many of the red shirts forgot about the Rule of Law and the requirement for any protest to be peaceful. They lost the plot when they invaded the Royal Cliff hotel.

The reds need to go home and we need to see a period of calm reflection. During this time Abhisit, who has shown good statesmanship, can see what needs to be done to avoid a repetition of such events in the future. This may include the previously suggested 'registration' and zoning of peaceful protests.

Two of the most interesting developments have been the reaction of rank and file Thais and the demise of Taksin. Thailand/Abhisit will have increasing international and domestic support for further action against Taksin.

Edited by Chaimai

Dan Rivers on CNN commenting on the military's discipline compared to 1992 and they have only fired direct when facing buses driven into them. Says people will commend the military's action,

Edited to add: it seems Red/Thaksin PR about loads of deaths has not been a hit with international media

Editedto additionally add: Rivers also mentioned how residents fed up with it all were turning on the reds in a violent way

Edited by hammered

If you check the statistics for Songkran deaths over the last few years you will find that the number of people who died yesterday in Bangkok was much less than would have died, on a "normal" Songkran day in drunken motorcycle accidents. The SOE has probably resulted in a net saving of lives.

Dan Rivers on CNN commenting on the military's discipline compared to 1992 and they have only fired direct when facing buses driven into them. Says people will commend the military's action,

Edited to add: it seems Red/Thaksin PR about loads of deaths has not been a hit with international media

Editedto additionally add: Rivers also mentioned how residents fed up with it all were turning on the reds in a violent way

I don't know about loads of deaths, but certainly people have died. As for Dan Rivers. Did you see his footage? He watched the soldiers run by him and then commenced walking in the opposite direction. Hardly a credible eyewitness account. As for the residents turning... not surprising... but it doesn't excuse the brutality of the army, or the truly horrible reporting the Thai public is receiving. Every day they have been saying that in various incidents that no protesters were hurt, but some soldiers were. How can you people swallow facts from an institution (military) that has NEVER told the truth. They lied before Thaksin, they lied during Thaksin, and they're lying now.

My history is fuzzy. Which time was it that armies on the streets shooting their own citizens benefited anyone in any country? It's startling how many people have been supporting the -extremely- heightened level of violence the army has brought down upon the people. There are A LOT of ways to control protesters that do not involve shooting people. The Army is the government, and this is how they maintain control. If you believe in the 'firing blanks' propaganda... look at some more video of the soldiers firing rounds into taxis and buses. I'm not defending the reds here... they have committed violence, but they are being eliminated with extreme prejudice... not just suppressed. There are a few with firearms and pathetic firebombs, but they aren't the only ones being shot. The government has claimed the army has killed NO ONE (remember when Samak made similar claims about a previous crackdown years ago?). Preposterous. It's disgusting, and anyone who cheers on these heavy handed tactics and the lies that go with them should be ashamed.

I'm thinking your sense of history and logic are equally fighting for the fuzziness factor here. Please, by all means feel free to show us the bodies or the injured.

HG

I just watched Thaksin's interview with CNN anchor Jim Clancy. Thaksin did not speak English well. I remember he has a PhD from a US university.

It is not fair to single out Thaksin. Half of the Thai people that I knew that have a degree from US, UK, NZ, OZ, etc, hardly speak any English, definately far worst than Thaksin.

You have to also share the blame all these US, UK, etc, greedy institutes selling degree to Thai (and other nationals) for money.

If you check the statistics for Songkran deaths over the last few years you will find that the number of people who died yesterday in Bangkok was much less than would have died, on a "normal" Songkran day in drunken motorcycle accidents. The SOE has probably resulted in a net saving of lives.

Well let's hope SOE's doesn't become a yearly occurrence although the seem to be quite in vogue for the last 6 months or so.

Appears to be true though the grassy knoll community won't like it.

For those who haven't seen it compare this youtube clip:

with his self-effacing BBC performance last night?

Anyone notice the attempt to achieve the Osama Bin Laden/Urban guerilla chic with the flag on a bare wall. All it needed was an AK47 in the corner.

Colours to the mast: I think Abhisit has played well to the international community (his forte) and come out of it well. Overt strength against people with legitimate aims would not have played well. After the initial impetus of those on a Songkran free-holiday faded away only the hard-core were left to embarass themselves and give points to the government. Classic mock retreat and envelopment? Don't know if it was intentional so they were either lucky or very clever.

Dare we hope that the military minds have been modernised or at least some control exerted? and can Abhisit deliver political and social reform? I would say based on his performance he deserves a try though he has his work cut out with his backers and the system in general.

I googled Thaksin+Peron on a whim and scored some interesting hits on the comparison:

http://www.insightbureau.com/insight_artic...ruton.Nov06.pdf

Thaksin Shinawatra could be the Peron of Thailand By Gwynne Dyer: http://www.straight.com/article-160848/gwy...-peron-thailand

It's too bad that a figure as divisive as Thaksin was the first to try to open Thai politics up to the concerns of the poor, but a less flamboyant and abrasive politician would probably never have tried. What remains to be seen is whether the PAD can shut the door again, and for how long.

I'd love to know who his coaches and PR mentors are. I don't think its all CEO solo.

Two of the most interesting developments have been the reaction of rank and file Thais and the demise of Taksin.

Yeap. Thaksin has really blown it with this stunt. Many of the people who previously had some sympathy or liking towards him have turned on him completely.

Its all a mess.

It's no longer a protest when it becomes a violent rebellion. There's a big difference because a violent rebellion is an affront to a nation's sovereignty. A nation must put down an armed rebellion by any means available, or the nation plunges into civil war. If you do not think this was a revolt, take a listen again to Thaksin video-link broadcast to the red shirts where he calls upon them to engage in a revolution against the government.

I just watched Thaksin's interview with CNN anchor Jim Clancy. Thaksin did not speak English well. I remember he has a PhD from a US university.

It is not fair to single out Thaksin. Half of the Thai people that I knew that have a degree from US, UK, NZ, OZ, etc, hardly speak any English, definately far worst than Thaksin.

You have to also share the blame all these US, UK, etc, greedy institutes selling degree to Thai (and other nationals) for money.

He went to East Kentucky University and Sam Houston University. Second-rate universities where English is a second language. :o

Appears to be true though the grassy knoll community won't like it.

For those who haven't seen it compare this youtube clip:

Wow I speak very little Thai, but if the subtitles are right, that is shame full, I mean we all "know" both sides pay for protestors but for the "leader" to come out openly and say it....

I'd love to know who his coaches and PR mentors are. I don't think its all CEO solo.

It's not solo. Not sure who he's using right now, but he's employed these PR firms in the past.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edelman_(firm)

http://www.sourcewatch.org/index.php?title=BGR_Holdings_LLC

I guess my reaction is the same as many, having watched Thaksin and Abhisit last night -Abhisit came off the better by miles not only because of his excellent English but the reasonable tone, remarkable given the pressure he's under.There's something about Thaksin that turns the stomach.

The Times agrees

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/comment/article6087472.ece

these mentions of military acting heavy handedly, are off base.

The police and military have been essentially wearing kid gloves throughout this whole imbroglio.

It astounds me, actually, that there haven't been more dynamic actions by security forces - and a whole lot more bloodshed - than there has been. ...particularly for those who know some of the history of how Thai uniformed forces usually act in such stressful situations (grounds covered in dead bodies).

For the sensitive observers: Go ahead and wring your hands all you want, but the relatively small amount of bloodshed thus far, is shining testament to the extreme restraint by uniformed security forces.

Perhaps worth noting: Napoleon first gained notariety when he became the first person to direct cannon fire upon civilians who were rioting - happened in the streets of Paris, sometime in the 18th century. I'm not recommending canons be used in Bangkok, but it would put a bang in their cocks.

It's not solo. Not sure who he's using right now, but he's employed these PR firms in the past.

Thanks for that. Lord Tim Bell who worked for Maggie. T also:

Tim Bell has recently been an advisor to the Iraqi government on the "promotion of democracy".

In December 2006 Lord Bell successfully lobbied on behalf of the Saudi government to discontinue the Serious Fraud Office investigation into alleged bribes in the Al Yamamah arms deal.[2]

Off post a little I guess sorry!

PAD did not storm traffic control tower. It simply didin't happen.

Liar.

Thai protesters storm Bangkok airport control tower

Merely one source.

After this happened the Bangkok Post released a deliberately misleading news article stating they only wanted to see flight plans however they were both masked and armed.

How the h@ll do you know?

Were you there?

I am getting sick of your nonsensical propaganda.

Give it a rest.

...dam_n I was going to post that! :o

Amazing Thailand, lets see the figures after the holiday. Perhaps in a spirit of national reconciliation Mr T can be invited back into government as Road Safety Minister?

I guess my reaction is the same as many, having watched Thaksin and Abhisit last night -Abhisit came off the better by miles not only because of his excellent English but the reasonable tone, remarkable given the pressure he's under.There's something about Thaksin that turns the stomach.

The Times agrees

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/comment/article6087472.ece

Endless propaganda even here being used by the powers who rule Thailand.

Funny though, when another election is held, the same side that has NO support according to the yellows, will win again.

The media is all Yellow in Thailand.

The generals are bought and payed for by the ruling elite yellows.

The Courts under the constitution put in by a coup government allows for the court to throw out PMs for cooking on TV shows. HAAA HAAAA

I do not have to tell you how completely un-democratic it is to allow any court to throw out a nation's leader. That is not part of any democracy I know of. Only a Parliament or Congress can remove a leader in a democracy. Not a court and certainly not a court put in by a coup government. HAAA HAAA

OK

You do not want a democracy do you Yellows.

At least be honest and say so instead of hiding and making up nonsense.

It is too too funny.

Its all a mess.

Can't someone do something about this monkey??? The reds are killing innocent people, CONFIRMED by various media sources, and this guys blaming it on the Blues, the army, and the yellows.....like its a joke and without any sources to back up his claims. I believed that was a rule here on Thai Visa.......you need to back up your claims. I'm sick of this guys bu#l sh$t!

Its all a mess.

Can't someone do something about this monkey??? The reds are killing innocent people, CONFIRMED by various media sources, and this guys blaming it on the Blues, the army, and the yellows.....like its a joke and without any sources to back up his claims. I believed that was a rule here on Thai Visa.......you need to back up your claims. I'm sick of this guys bu#l sh$t!

Maybe you should tell the media and Yahoo not to print this.

http://news.yahoo.com/nphotos/Thailand/ss/...22d9e9cc1d377fb

Pictures are showing some truth.