State Of Emergency Declared For Bangkok

george

I am by no means a PAD supporter nor do I support Thaksin. But I just felt I had to post this...

Let me first say I respect your opinions regardless of whose side you're on. From what I can tell, the general consensus here seems to be anti-red. This is fine, but I'd really like to know where you are getting your information from.

A lot of news organizations seem to be pointing their finger at the pro-Thaksin demonstrators. I'm not saying these people are innocent of any wrong-doing, but I think a lot of what we're hearing is over-exaggerated. Apart from Thaksin interviews on CNN and the BBC, I have not seen a single interview with protesters who have been directly involved in the clashes. Since the Government has been feeding the news media information all day, I think the protesters should be offered a chance to tell their side of the story. Anyone with half a brain will know this is the right and fair thing to do. As of 11pm, most UDD websites have been either blocked or shutdown. Seems to me like the powers that be are trying to hide something...

Has it occurred to any of you, the anti-red-shirt sentiment you're hearing is the result of a clever propaganda campaign orchestrated by the Government? Trust me, this wouldn't be the first time, propaganda has always been utilized whenever there's a political crisis (for as long as I can remember). To be honest, I think news organizations have got themselves so wrapped up in all this, they are unable to be objective much less realize the truth even if it bit them on the ass.

With firm control over the local news media, the amount of propaganda coming from the Government is quite 'appalling'. I'm not one to accuse the Government of lying, but the truth definitely isn't getting out beyond the borders of the Government House. What you are witnessing is just a glimpse of a bigger and gruesome picture. Quite the opposite from what PM Abhisit or Mr. Suthep wants you to see or believe. It's pathetic. I never thought I'd be saying this, but I'm beginning to feel sympathy towards the protesters.

I guess the point I'm trying to make is, don't trust everything you read or hear; to put it bluntly, don't be a naive little sh*t. There are both sides to every story, be objective and keep an open mind. No one can cover up the truth -- not the Government, PAD, UDD, or even Thaksin.

Sorry the Red don't speak good English. Unlike the yellow. Perhaps there are some interview, but the quality of their their bg English is so bad, the foreign news just refuse to air them.

Just look at the Englsih of their leadsers. Mark (even have an English name) vs Thaksin.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am by no means a PAD supporter nor do I support Thaksin. But I just felt I had to post this...

Let me first say I respect your opinions regardless of whose side you're on. From what I can tell, the general consensus here seems to be anti-red. This is fine, but I'd really like to know where you are getting your information from.

A lot of news organizations seem to be pointing their finger at the pro-Thaksin demonstrators. I'm not saying these people are innocent of any wrong-doing, but I think a lot of what we're hearing is over-exaggerated. Apart from Thaksin interviews on CNN and the BBC, I have not seen a single interview with protesters who have been directly involved in the clashes. Since the Government has been feeding the news media information all day, I think the protesters should be offered a chance to tell their side of the story. Anyone with half a brain will know this is the right and fair thing to do. As of 11pm, most UDD websites have been either blocked or shutdown. Seems to me like the powers that be are trying to hide something...

Has it occurred to any of you, the anti-red-shirt sentiment you're hearing is the result of a clever propaganda campaign orchestrated by the Government? Trust me, this wouldn't be the first time, propaganda has always been utilized whenever there's a political crisis (for as long as I can remember). To be honest, I think news organizations have got themselves so wrapped up in all this, they are unable to be objective much less realize the truth even if it bit them on the ass.

With firm control over the local news media, the amount of propaganda coming from the Government is quite 'appalling'. I'm not one to accuse the Government of lying, but the truth definitely isn't getting out beyond the borders of the Government House. What you are witnessing is just a glimpse of a bigger and gruesome picture. Quite the opposite from what PM Abhisit or Mr. Suthep wants you to see or believe. It's pathetic. I never thought I'd be saying this, but I'm beginning to feel sympathy towards the protesters.

I guess the point I'm trying to make is, don't trust everything you read or hear; to put it bluntly, don't be a naive little sh*t. There are both sides to every story, be objective and keep an open mind. No one can cover up the truth -- not the Government, PAD, UDD, or even Thaksin.

Sorry the Red don't speak good English. Unlike the yellow. Perhaps there are some interview, but the quality of their their bg English is so bad, the foreign news just refuse to air them.

Just look at the Englsih of their leadsers. Mark (even have an English name) vs Thaksin.

One more point for Abhisit! :o

Message to the red shirts from an angry resident!

Leave us alone with your red B_S_

You are wrong!

Abhisit has earned RESPECT from the world for handling this red anarchy and violent booze stampede with utmost caution to avoid blood in the streets what you

want to see! Thailand is not the world. READ and WATCH what the world has to say! There's a world behind the Thai border!

You can be proud of your Fuhrer who was stuttering. lying and whining on TV last night.

Leave us alone with your red B_S_, we want peace!

Edited by webfact

Maybe you should tell the media and Yahoo not to print this.

http://news.yahoo.com/nphotos/Thailand/ss/...22d9e9cc1d377fb

Pictures are showing some truth.

This is the sort of email I have recently received from media agencies.

Pictures to order please....

Pictures of selected parts of the truth, preferably violence, please....

-----Original Message-----

Sent: Monday, April 13, 2009 XXXXXX

To: XXXXXXXXXX

Cc: Jonnie Leger

Subject: Thai Protests - media request, Demotix

Dear XXXXXX,

We' ve had some specific requests from the media for images of the soldiers attacks on the UDD. We gather there have been stories of soldiers firing at 'Red Shirt' supporters' legs.

Any images you might have of these protests descending into violence, unfortunately, would be of interest to the mainstream media here.

If you DO have anything, and without putting yourself at risk, do you think I could ask you to be in touch with me and our Head of Sales, Jonnie Leger - who is cc-ed above?

Many thanks indeed, and all best

Turi

--

Turi Munthe

http://www.demotix.com/users/turi/profile

http://twitter.com/turidemotix

Demotix - the Street Wire - www.demotix.com

Portland House, London SW1E 5RS, UK.

Mob: (44) 7939 250 984; Off: (44) 208 282 6004; Skype: turimunthe

To repeat....

"Any images you might have of these protests descending into violence, unfortunately, would be of interest to the mainstream media here."

ANY IMAGES YOU MIGHT HAVE OF THESE PROTESTS DESCENDING INTO VIOLENCE,

UNFORTUNATELY,

WOULD BE OF INTEREST TO THE MAINSTREAM MEDIA HERE.

Nothing new I suppose. But to expect the complete truth to be seen in pictures? Too big an ask.

Edited by Splatter

There is one big problem in Thailand.

All news companies or agents require a license from the government to operate!

That's why they only print what the Government wants, otherwise there license is rebuked, I thought everybody know that???

Apart from PAD's ASTV. They upload through HK, and registered as a HK media. So they don't need a Thai license. ASTV can air anything they want, but they have to observe HK law.

That's an awful lot of innuendo. Do you have any facts you'd care to share? The government is not blocking your posts here.

If hard evidence is what you're after, I can't provide any, not unless you could understand Thai, in which case, I'll see what I can dig up... It seems quite a few (non-UDD) local websites featuring the crackdown have also been blocked. Shame on them! I could however, access blocked sites using VPN; that is, if the sites haven't been taken offline. In a crisis like this, there's an awful lot of rumors and propaganda abound... Most things I hear and read (regardless of source), I take it with a grain of salt. This is Thailand afterall.

Just listen to some of the things Mr. Suthep Tuaksubaan has been spitting out on national TV. This guy is unbelievable. I would like nothing more than to see this mofo retire and disappear into the jungle. If there's anyone who's giving Abhisit a bad reputation it's him, alongside Newin Chidchob. I sort of feel sorry for Abhisit as he's nothing more than a puppet in this whole ordeal.

P.S. It's 04:35 am, time to call it the night... Good night everyone.

Can you post the link? I am surfing from overseas.

Fluency in English has nothing to do with it... Besides, news agencies like BBC and CNN can afford a translator.

Mark AKA: Oba-Mark... In light of recent events, some would refer to Thaksin as "ThugSIN"...

I have heard what sounds like several explosions from about 9.30 am till now (10.00 am), at intervals. I am in Sathorn, but cannot see anything. I do not want to be alarmist, but is anyone else hearing this, seeing anything?

Just look at the Englsih of their leaders. Mark (even have an English name) vs Thaksin.

Fluency in English has nothing to do with it... Besides, news agencies like BBC and CNN can afford a translator.

Mark AKA: Oba-Mark... In light of recent events, some would refer to Thaksin as "ThugSIN"...

Thaksin is sitting right in Singapore and that government laughs at the Thai government that wants him.

I saw CNN interview him and he seems quite calm.

Of course the government in Thailand blocked it and instead showed a replay of the sports report on CNN.

Funny how much you hate him but really you hate the people who voted for him and then the next and the next.

When the reds win the next election, and they will, will you throw out the next PM as well?

How many coups has Thailand had in 100 years? Is it 17 or closer to 20?

Just say it.

You who run the Yellow want NO democracy in Thailand.

Be honest and at least i could then respect you but now you act like dishonest little children hiding your real power behind nonsense.

Just say it.

You hate democracy in Thailand.

I'd love to know who his coaches and PR mentors are. I don't think its all CEO solo.

It's not solo. Not sure who he's using right now, but he's employed these PR firms in the past.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edelman_(firm)

http://www.sourcewatch.org/index.php?title=BGR_Holdings_LLC

I guess my reaction is the same as many, having watched Thaksin and Abhisit last night -Abhisit came off the better by miles not only because of his excellent English but the reasonable tone, remarkable given the pressure he's under.There's something about Thaksin that turns the stomach.

The Times agrees

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/comment/article6087472.ece

Endless propaganda even here being used by the powers who rule Thailand.

Funny though, when another election is held, the same side that has NO support according to the yellows, will win again.

The media is all Yellow in Thailand.

The generals are bought and payed for by the ruling elite yellows.

The Courts under the constitution put in by a coup government allows for the court to throw out PMs for cooking on TV shows. HAAA HAAAA

I do not have to tell you how completely un-democratic it is to allow any court to throw out a nation's leader. That is not part of any democracy I know of. Only a Parliament or Congress can remove a leader in a democracy. Not a court and certainly not a court put in by a coup government. HAAA HAAA

OK

You do not want a democracy do you Yellows.

At least be honest and say so instead of hiding and making up nonsense.

It is too too funny.

I think with the exception of the over-lagered and confused the consensus is a little more subtle on here (as it is amongst thais).

Most people would agree the current social/political system is unfair from a modern western view-point.

We should however see it has evolved relatively quickly since 1932/WWII from a long entrenched feudal system, the remnants of this shape the current system.

Many people are calling for faster/greater changes. The establishment resists it. The same in every first world country one hundred years ago and every developing country in the last 50 years. We have also seen what happens when change is resisted and revolution ensues e.g Russia & Cambodia. It is bloody and painful. I for one don't want bloody and painful change for myself, my family or anyone else in Thailand.

The engine of violence in these protests is basically disaffected, under educated, disenfranchised, unemployed youth. The problem IMO is that the movement has been comandeered (and greatly discredited) it is led by an unscrupulous businessman for his own purposes and selfish agenda with no interest in social democratic reform other than how he can profit from it. With privelege comes responsibility. I have problems with the establishment and their traditionalist views from my western perspective but they do understand this tenet clearly. Equally clearly, Thaksin does not.

I Thank You.

Who's up next?

Wonder if the reds will condemn the BBC and CNN for their reporting?It is not very sympatheitic to the reds - damaged their cause, only two deaths not caused by military, collapsing momentum, locals turning on reds etc

CNN and BBC must be in the pay of the Thai authorities.

I have heard what sounds like several explosions from about 9.30 am till now (10.00 am), at intervals. I am in Sathorn, but cannot see anything. I do not want to be alarmist, but is anyone else hearing this, seeing anything?

My wife mentioned hearing 3 'explosions' about 9.45am, we live near Sathorn.

Just say it.

Wow, madi, you really seem quite agitated about somebody saying they hate democracy in Thailand. OK, we've now seen what the UDD means by democracy - the right to threaten and terrorize local residents, and to attack them and in some cases kill them if they resist. So I'll say it - I hate this interpretation of democracy.

I know, I know ... you don't need to explain ... it wasn't the reds' fault that they killed people, it was all because the army made them angry, so that's OK.

Yep - pictures confirm civil unrest and rioting, fire-raising by red-shirts and a proportionate response from the army.

Some good pictures - where in the world would you see a woman protester hugging a soldier (I doubt China would have permitted that), a young boy with water gun photographed in front of active solders and citizens handing out flowers to soldiers.

At this juncture nobody knows who is doing what.

Blue shirts dressed as Red creating trouble.

Ex-Yellow dressed as Red creating trouble.

Thugs and hooligans using Red for fun.

Some Red shirts creating trouble.

Its all a mess.

Rewind time is needed. Get rid of all Blue shirts. Get the Army off the street, allow the police to take over, get the Reds back to government house and peaceful protest.

This all went wrong when the Army were called on to the streets, and so they need to be taken off for things to calm down again.

You keep outdoing yourself. You are so funny. I don't know any other way to read your posts.

Everyone else causing trouble, but of course only "some Red shirts creating trouble." Your last sentence is the best. "This all went wrong when the Army were called on the streets so they need to be taken off for things to calm down again." You make it sound like everything was idyllic, so peaceful and calm when the Reds were rampaging the city.

Thaksin is sitting right in Singapore and that government laughs at the Thai government that wants him.

Of course the government in Thailand blocked it and instead showed a replay of the sports report on CNN.

Funny how much you hate him but really you hate the people who voted for him and then the next and the next.

When the reds win the next election, and they will, will you throw out the next PM as well?

Just say it.

Be honest and at least i could then respect you but now you act like dishonest little children hiding your real power behind nonsense.

Just say it.

Are you claiming that the Thai government cut and paste CNN boardcaste? This is not possible. I do not believe you. CNN comes from satelite dirrectly from Atlanta, and beam straight to the receiver in Thailand. How can Thai government intercept the signal, and boardcaste something else? Please support your claim with proof. I have seens Thaksin face before in CNN recently.

No can not block CNN because they are AMERICAN (the police of the world). They may try to block signal from some of the other weaker countries (BBC, AZJ, CCTV, CNA, etc).

Its all a mess.

Rewind time is needed. Get rid of all Blue shirts. Get the Army off the street, allow the police to take over, get the Reds back to government house and peaceful protest.

This all went wrong when the Army were called on to the streets, and so they need to be taken off for things to calm down again.

Can't someone do something about this monkey??? The reds are killing innocent people, CONFIRMED by various media sources, and this guys blaming it on the Blues, the army, and the yellows.....like its a joke and without any sources to back up his claims. I believed that was a rule here on Thai Visa.......you need to back up your claims. I'm sick of this guys bu#l sh$t!

They are two kind of people:

a) payed posters (like http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edelman_(firm)) they earn their living with it.

:o true communists who bend the facts till they fit in what they expect, as well they seem to be color blind.

I hear and see these "explosions". It's down by the port area. Happens every once in a while, I think they are shooting smething like fireworks or these "rain-making-ion" guns. The shells explode about 50 meters up in the air with a loud boom and then I see small, white smoke clouds. Don't think it has anything to do with the protests. As I said, I see these small explosions two or three times a week down there....for the past 6 years I have been living here.

Cheers, nothing to worry...

Thai PBS reported live at 10:11 am that troops were advancing closer to the protesters at the Government House, heightening the tension in the area.

The station said troops were apparently prepared to disperse the protesters soon.

The Nation

Are you sure it isn't just big firecrackers? I've heard quite a few over the past few days because of Songkran. It disturbed me too until I remembered that most Thais are still out "playing water" instead of staying in to watch news.

Thai PBS reported at 10:16 am that armoured personnel carriers were moving towards the protesters in front of the Mission Hospital near the Yommaraj Intersection.

The carriers led troops to advance to the protesters.

Troops told local residents to move into safe places as they were about to launch an operation to clear the protesters.

The Nation

Seems like something is about to happen

Yep - pictures confirm civil unrest and rioting, fire-raising by red-shirts and a proportionate response from the army.

Some good pictures - where in the world would you see a woman protester hugging a soldier (I doubt China would have permitted that), a young boy with water gun photographed in front of active solders and citizens handing out flowers to soldiers.

Thanks Chaimai ... I came to the same conclusion and wondered whether I had missed something with red-lover madi inviting everyone to view them. They generally paint the army in a positive light, and the red rabble in a poor light!

Yes, I'm over by Thong Lo and I can hear them. They sound like they're coming from the direction of The Port or from toward Rama IV/Lumpini, but I can't tell really and I don't see anything odd.

Its all a mess.

Can't someone do something about this monkey??? The reds are killing innocent people, CONFIRMED by various media sources, and this guys blaming it on the Blues, the army, and the yellows.....like its a joke and without any sources to back up his claims. I believed that was a rule here on Thai Visa.......you need to back up your claims. I'm sick of this guys bu#l sh$t!

You want to wretch some more? This guy lists himself as working for a human rights NGO. Go figure it.

One good thing which will almost certainly come out of this situation is that Thaksin has much fewer places which will welcome him in exile – I can’t imagine many Countries offering haven to someone who has instigated such a violent and damaging insurrection against a democratically elected Government.

Plus, although there is probably no legal way to do it, it would be wonderful retribution if some of Thaksins’ frozen billions could be used to repair and compensate for the destruction and injuries he has so callously and selfishly brought about.

Patrick

Are you sure it isn't just big firecrackers? I've heard quite a few over the past few days because of Songkran. It disturbed me too until I remembered that most Thais are still out "playing water" instead of staying in to watch news.

Could be a traditional style funeral?

Just look at the Englsih of their leaders. Mark (even have an English name) vs Thaksin.

Just say it.

Just say it.

Huh? :o

Who? What? Sorry, I don't know what your post has to do with me discussing Abhisit/Thaksin nicknames or to whom it was directed to...

I don't 'hate' anybody, if you read my very post carefully you'd see I'm a 'neutral'. All my opinions have been expressed objectively. Like any sensible person, I want this conflict to end. Personally, I don't care who wins or comes out on top. Leaders on both sides need to stop being selfish and start making sacrifices. No one is going to get what they want, not the Government/PAD nor Thaksin/UDD.

Edited by Supernova

Thai PBS reported live at 10:11 am that troops were advancing closer to the protesters at the Government House, heightening the tension in the area.

The station said troops were apparently prepared to disperse the protesters soon.

The Nation

It will be interesting to see what their strategy is. For sure, they want to serve the arrest warrants on the 5 terrorist leaders, but will they arrest the others (perhaps too many) or just let them go? If the Reds resist, then what? Perhaps cut electricity and starve them out.