1,000 Police Armed With Teargas Head To Government House

george

1,000 police armed with teargas head to Government House

BANGKOK: -- About 1,000 policemen armed with teargases headed to the Government House Sunday afternoon apparently to make preparations for cracking down protesters.

-- The Nation 2009-04-12

Red-shirted protesters arrest PM security official

About 10 red-shirted protesters arrested a security official of the prime minister and dragged him to the rally stage at the Government House.

Maj Pakorn Sompas, suffered a wound on his right eyebrow and was handcuffed.

Pakorn asked Natthawut Saikua to free him from the handcuff but Natthawut refused and said the protesters had done the right thing to arrest Pakorn.

Pakorn, who appeared frightened, was detained by the protesters behind the stage.

-- The Nation 2009-04-12

Red-shirted protesters arrest PM security official

About 10 red-shirted protesters arrested a security official of the prime minister and dragged him to the rally stage at the Government House.

Maj Pakorn Sompas, suffered a wound on his right eyebrow and was handcuffed.

Pakorn asked Natthawut Saikua to free him from the handcuff but Natthawut refused and said the protesters had done the right thing to arrest Pakorn.

Pakorn, who appeared frightened, was detained by the protesters behind the stage.

-- The Nation 2009-04-12

Could this be the straw :o

BANGKOK: -- About 1,000 policemen armed with teargases headed to the Government House Sunday afternoon apparently to make preparations for cracking down protesters.

-- The Nation 2009-04-12

1000 Police who refuse to act... big deal.

-- The Nation 2009-04-12

Why "refuse"???

-- The Nation 2009-04-12

Why "refuse"???

What did they do to protect the regions most important leaders!!!!!!!!!

So best to stay in for a few days ,

Ps what is included in the state of emergency laws , i know about more than five people , is there a curfew?

colino

so far no curfew as long as I know....

-- The Nation 2009-04-12

Why "refuse"???

Yes - maybe won't is more appropriate. Perhaps a look at footage being aired in BKK now and watching 19 (my count) military and police, security stand by whilst a member of the Cabinet in Abhisits employ is pulled from his Mercedes wagon, beaten and is now hospitalised? Watching the Police who did nothing at Pattaya - that to me is refusal to act. It is a known fact Thaksin was and still is largely supported by Mafia in Brown Uniforms - the Police. They did not act then, they did not act today. They will be most unlikely to act tomorrow. I call that refusal but maybe I should have said 'won't' act! Interesting - even when a very expensive current model Mercedes is being trashed by the Mob wearing face masks as all cowards do, the 'Police' just stood by and watched. Whoa - safe country this one!

Yes - maybe won't is more appropriate. Perhaps a look at footage being aired in BKK now and watching 19 (my count) military and police, security stand by whilst a member of the Cabinet in Abhisits employ is pulled from his Mercedes wagon, beaten and is now hospitalised? Watching the Police who did nothing at Pattaya - that to me is refusal to act. It is a known fact Thaksin was and still is largely supported by Mafia in Brown Uniforms - the Police. They did not act then, they did not act today. They will be most unlikely to act tomorrow. I call that refusal but maybe I should have said 'won't' act! Interesting - even when a very expensive current model Mercedes is being trashed by the Mob wearing face masks as all cowards do, the 'Police' just stood by and watched. Whoa - safe country this one!

The police was deeply humiliated during PAD protest. Then Abhi hired PAD crooks to his government. If you want someone help, it could help not to humiliate him first.

For the army, they realized they were used and abused during the coup and later during PAD protest.

I believe the army and police will act in order to maintain minimum order and to protect the general population but I'm afraid Abhi is on his own now.

Edited by Pierrot

-- The Nation 2009-04-12

So we have three quotes/reports from the Nation about the state of affairs. From their past performance, the Nation should be taken with a shovelful of salt.

In this post, they use the word 'apparently.' How diffiult would it be to get a press-badged-person known to the Police to ask them a simple question? If the Police agree, then run the story without 'apparently.' If the Police demur, then use 'apparently.' If the Police decline, then state so. Simple...so long as the Police trust the Nation to report fairly.

:o

Its pathetic thats all I have to say. What is the point in having a police force and a military if it wont act. It's all a big big joke and the world is laughing whilst Thailand moves ever forward towards anarchy! And whose the biggest loser here the red shirts, blue shirts, yellow shirts . . . . . no, the answer is all the people of Thailand who will pay the biggest price!

-- The Nation 2009-04-12

BIG DEAL>>>>>>when will any govt use any measure to keep people safe.... the country is becoming an international laughing stock, as are all the demonstrators, irrespective as to what their shirty colour is.... bring back Thaksin, at least there was none of this rubbish going on.....

-- The Nation 2009-04-12

Why "refuse"???

WHY REFUSE ?????? ......you obviously have not been following properly....

Most police would be Red shirts....the police loved Thaksin..

and worryingly today we also saw army wearing red scarves ????.....if the army is split, we could be in for big troubles

-- The Nation 2009-04-12

Why "refuse"???

WHY REFUSE ?????? ......you obviously have not been following properly....

Most police would be Red shirts....the police loved Thaksin..

and worryingly today we also saw army wearing red scarves ????.....if the army is split, we could be in for big troubles

link please

I was there today at Government House (ทำเนียบรัฐบาล). There was absolutely no sign of any confrontation with police or army. If police or army were there, then they were keeping an extremely low profile. The only notable event involving the police, was a small group of them wearing red and carrying placards which read "ตำรวจไม่ฆ่าประชาชน" (police don't kill the people).

As an aside, in a nearby area I witnessed (or at least heard) a nearby explosion, which could have been a large firecracker or worse. Fortunately, nobody was hurt. Returning back through the same area about midnight, I was told there had been a shooting about 20 minutes before. If you want to go there to take photos as I did, you might want to keep your wits about you. :o

-- The Nation 2009-04-12

I would say that was scare mongering in the vain attempt to try to keep people away. It's a shame that the Nation goes along with these stories. Today, the area around Government House was absolutely packed with people of all ages, from very young children to the elderly, and I just can't seem them using tear gas on that lot. A Buddhist monk gave a speech too.

-- The Nation 2009-04-12

I hope they take gas masks this time lol

-- The Nation 2009-04-12

So we have three quotes/reports from the Nation about the state of affairs. From their past performance, the Nation should be taken with a shovelful of salt.

In this post, they use the word 'apparently.' How diffiult would it be to get a press-badged-person known to the Police to ask them a simple question? If the Police agree, then run the story without 'apparently.' If the Police demur, then use 'apparently.' If the Police decline, then state so. Simple...so long as the Police trust the Nation to report fairly.

Certainly, a shovelful of something! I agree with your comment entirely - the Nation should not be using the word "apparently" on something important like this. Anyway, the truth is that nothing happened, whatever was planned (or not planned).