Tanks Mobilised In Bangkok

george

First of all, you have a country with such a low educational standard and requirement, that 200 baht can buy anything concerning a following or vote

Sorry, the price has been up. No longer 200 Baht from MP own pocket. Politician has been emptying tax money to buy vote for themselves:

Thaksin: 1 million Baht per village of Village Development Fund to spent however they like.

Samak: Free water, electricity, bus, train, etc. Cut fuel tax to zero (from about 4 Baht / litres).

Mark: 2,000 Baht per person to 10 million people.

Edited by samgrowth

• Replies 336
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A number of posts that add no value to the OP have been removed.

Folks, stop the feuding and trading names. We don't need this topic cluttered with rubbish.

I don't think you have cleared enough of the rubbish out - still too many useless troll posts.

AP, 5 minutes ago...

Gunshots were reported but it was not clear who fired or if anyone was hurt.

Stupid question. Who do you think have guns?

1. Army? (Obvious)

2. Police? (Obvious too)

2. PAD? (see below)

Old clip here as proof:

Can anyone please submit a proof in TV that the Red have guns. Please.

If it is true that democrats got the second after PPP, why they don't want to schedule a new election within near future?

I don't know about the result on Dec 2007 election, but I heard something about coalition after Somchai was turned down.

if Abhisit is a real hero, then he should admit that the airport closure is a crime and he must do something against the perpetrators.

He did that in Hardtalk last week, and he he also said legal action was taking by the juridical system against the responsible ones. There are several law suits filled;

Abhisit's foreign minister was a major PAD player.

The investigation is still "pending". :o

If it is true that democrats got the second after PPP, why they don't want to schedule a new election within near future?

I don't know about the result on Dec 2007 election, but I heard something about coalition after Somchai was turned down.

if Abhisit is a real hero, then he should admit that the airport closure is a crime and he must do something against the perpetrators.

He did that in Hardtalk last week, and he he also said legal action was taking by the juridical system against the responsible ones. There are several law suits filled;

No he was not....he just made some speeches there, but not a leader.

he did more than give a couple of speeches.

sorry, haven't all the posts. However, rules of engagement by authorities appear to be too wishy washy.

It's understandable to be trepidatious, in order to avoid bloodshed, but there are limits to everything. If a gov't minister is directly threatened, security troops should issue a warning, and if not heeded, take appropriate actions. All ranks should know and heed signals given by their superiors. If a captain is put out of service, a corporal takes over immediately, and so on. If shots fired in the air don't stop the approaching mass of protesters, then shots to the knees would be in order. If that too, fails to stop the protesters, then shots to the stomach (or worse). If Thai security troops can't do the job, then hire foreign troops that can.

Alternatively, rubber bullets and/or tear gas are effective crowd dispersement tools - though too-dangerous (lethal, made-in-China) tear gas was unwittingly used against Yellow Shirts last year. Have Thai tear gas supplies been replaced? Probably not, and that's why no tear gas has been used recently - for fear of more deaths from faulty product.

There are other more recently developed crowd dispersal tools available (sonic repellents, sticky goo, propelled nets, foul-smelling compounds, etc.). But Thailand is not expected to be at the vanguard of such things, though they may get the newer tools (from other countries) in perhaps ten to forty years from now.

Thai entrepreneurs could also see about inventing crowd dispersal gizmos, but that's not likely, as it's easier to either buy or copy such things from other countries who invent and develop them.

I daresay there were just "speakers" at the Nuremberg Rallies.

Kasit was an irresponsible idiot for his blowhard speeches at the PAD airport seizure.His appointment was a disgrace (though I daresay part of some deal we will never know about) and it seems, contrary to previous reports, he is also an incompetent.

An honourable Foreign Minister would have resigned after the fiasco at Pattaya, as did the UK's Lord Carrington after the shame of the Argentinians invasion of the Falkland Islands.Perhaps Kasit thinks the sight of ASEAN leaders being helicoptered out wasn't particularly shameful.

Folks, stop the feuding and trading names. We don't need this topic cluttered with rubbish.

More frivolous & self serving posts deleted. This is a serious topic and deserves thoughtful answers.

Any further posts that required deletion, the poster will be issued a warning and possible suspension.

I look forward to your cooperation.

Who here thinks the red shirts have a legitimate grievance? I ask because I'm still trying to understand if they have a right to be mad or if they are simply being manipulated.

My factory-owning uncle says that his workers took a day off when they were paid 1000 baht a day to protest. 2 days ago I was trying to play Badminton at a local court, only to find the manager complaining that his workers were all paid. So I reckon about 60% of the protestors are paid (and they're the ones who stand further back, shout less and do nothing besides mill about) and the other 40% have real grieviences.

Yeah , I would have a grievance too if I was'nt being paid .. :o

I have spoken with quite a few, and none of them admit to receiving any payment whatsoever. Yes, I know, "Of course they'd say that, wouldn't they?" Anyway, paid or not, they all seem very committed to their cause, and they don't all fit into the stereotype of poor Isaan farmer. I have met several well-educated protesters who are quite capable of discussing politics at length in English.

they do get paid. My wife was called and asked if she wants to join. 500b / day and free food. Also free transportation to BKK. She also talked with some police officer here in CM, who was thinking about taking few days off from work and join in as he dont make the 500 a day as police. There are dozen of my wife's friends there making the 500b a day

Always knew they should have been colonised by the Brits and had some common sense and honesty knocked into them. You don;t get this sort of carry on in Singapore now do you?

I agree DragonFly. Iam not a Brit. However Iam sure if the Thais were colonized, they

would have alot more common sense :o . eg Malayasia,Singapore

Haha... yeah, and Cambodia, Vietnam, and Burma. Common sense indeed!

And the Philippines, "controlled", for hundred of years! LMAO

Then maybe they could have introduced the locals to scalping like they did with the American indians. Oh to live somewhere like Singapore - like living in a bland combination of a police state, a hospital, and a stalag! Give me messy Thailand any day!

More frivolous & self serving posts deleted. This is a serious topic and deserves thoughtful answers.

Any further posts that required deletion, the poster will be issued a warning and possible suspension.

I look forward to your cooperation.

Yes i fail to see how people can make jokes of the present situation .Certainly Westerners in Bangkok will take it more seriously .

they do get paid. My wife was called and asked if she wants to join. 500b / day and free food. Also free transportation to BKK. She also talked with some police officer here in CM, who was thinking about taking few days off from work and join in as he dont make the 500 a day as police. There are dozen of my wife's friends there making the 500b a day

My wife tells me the same. 500 baht to general mob, as much as 3,000 baht/day for the 'foremen' & recruiters.

On BBC worldnews, defiantly full sized tanks, with red shirts doing vioctory dances on them with wood and steal bars in their hands. The Army guys had big smiles, welcome to LOS !!!! :o

Looks like it will be a new difinition of 'low season' this year. A real shame for the silent majority.

Always knew they should have been colonised by the Brits and had some common sense and honesty knocked into them. You don;t get this sort of carry on in Singapore now do you?

It's never too late...in fact, a truely impartial administration with no links to the old kronies and no concept or interest of, in saving anyones face, is just what this country needs in order to get back on it's feet. They themselves have shown the world they are incapable of running the show themselves.

The Nation article said that during the Din Daeng Intersection clearing, they processed several red shirts. Many actually wanted to go home, but were being "compelled to stay" by the more ardent supporters. Not sure as to the veracity of that statement, but it sounds right to my ears.

The Nation article said that during the Din Daeng Intersection clearing, they processed several red shirts. Many actually wanted to go home, but were being "compelled to stay" by the more ardent supporters. Not sure as to the veracity of that statement, but it sounds right to my ears.

Sounds probable to me: Who wants to die for 1000 Baht.

You post the same statement, almost words for words, in other threads. To my ears it sounds like propaganda, especially for someone who, at the time, had less than 15 posts.

The PAD propaganda machine is still very well alive !

seems the charades and deceits are working for now....

can anyone else hear the shouting in the distance:

"I WANT MY MONEY, POWER and FACE back NOW, my post as a Prime Minister -

aeh.... Presi... aeh.. restored, everyone against me prosecuted and anyone who ever,

ever held a grudge against me has to apologize - NOW or sort off for ever,

if not we'll deal with 'em in a appropriate manner!"

Edited by Samuian

he did more than give a couple of speeches.

That was?

no implicit proof, but for someone with such a decorated background it does not take much imagination to reason that his role was more than guest speaker. 'major player' was hyperbole i admit. regardless, his direct participation alone should be enough to disqualify him from receiving such a position.

You post the same statement, almost words for words, in other threads. To my ears it sounds like propaganda, especially for someone who, at the time, had less than 15 posts.

The PAD propaganda machine is still very well alive !

This text from Optimusetcetc is a copy/paste from a newspaper. I read it before but can't recall where.

Nation, TOC or BBKpost......

If I am not wrong copy/paste from newspapers must be marked as such

My wife tells me the same. 500 baht to general mob, as much as 3,000 baht/day for the 'foremen' & recruiters.

My wife has been and is, as of yesterday, last night and this morning up there among the reds. She is with the masses that are still peacefully demonstrating. She tells me she's not being paid nor are any of the others she among. There is no reason for her to deceive me on this issue. She owns her own very respectable an lucrative business south of Bkk and she is losing money each day she closes up shop to attend the demonstrations. Her income is far more than 300, 500, 1000, and even 3000 forman/recruiter Baht earnings per day. So for the record, maybe some are getting paid, but definatly not all or majority.On a personal note, I'm remaining neutral, taking no sides, because quite frankly, I am farang and dont feel I am qualified or justified to have an opinion regarding Thai politics. On the other side of the coin, I let many a Thai know they are not qualified to have an opinion on American politics.