Advice Sought: Moving To Bangkok

smiljanic

Hi everybody,

Apologies if I'm posting something that I'm fairly sure has been posted 1000 times, if it's that vexing, please just ignore this post.

I've visited Thailand and surrounding SE Asians many times, and really enjoy the culture and lifestyle over there. I'm very interested in moving there, but am concerned about how I would be able to go about this, given my age and workforce experience.

I read that in order to offer a position to a foreigner, a Thai company must present some kind of business case that no local is capable of performing the duties. While I am qualified (I have two degrees: LLB and BBus from Monash University, Australia), I'm concerned that I may not be suitable for employment in Thailand. I am 21 years old, 22 in two months and have four years experience in taxation and accounting (I did a cadetship out of high school, while studying).

Will these circumstances prevent me from getting a job in Thailand? If anybody can offer some personal anecdotes/advice I would be very grateful. This is something I've researched at great length, but unfortunately my searches have been largely in vain.

Again, apologies if I'm posting something you've all seen 1000 times before.

Please note, my girlfriend (Swedish national) is of similar circumstances and is also interested in moving over there. Would it be different for her?

Thankyou in advance!

Thanks for the replies guys.

This would be a long-term, rather than short-term thing.

Seems anything I'm possibly qualified for = protected position! :o

Hope you're all keeping safe in the current circumstances.

The fact that law and accountancy are protected professions does not mean that you cannot work in the office of a law or accountancy office in Thailand - you may well be able to find work in such offices - its just that you will not be practicing as a Thai qualified lawyer or accountant - but you may be able to find a suitable role working alongside these people that fits in with the Thai restrictions. So in short the foreign business restrictions should not prevent you finding work in Bangkok in your areas of qualification.

Hopefully the current unrest will resolve itself over the long-term and so hopefully that is not an overwhelming hurdle either.

In my opinion the most serious hurdle you current face is the global and domestic economic situation which will likely mean that many companies that may have been worthwhile you speaking with will currently have recruitment freezes (many have been laying staff off recently). It may well be a year or possibly longer before the situation improves.

Good luck with your search - it isn't impossible but you will need to be patient. One way may be for you to join a major international law/accounting firm which has offices in Thailand. Then when things pick up maneouvre for a move to their Bangkok office.

Best of luck with your search.

Lucky