What To Expect From An 800k House?

Svenn

My gf told me she contracted to build a 400k house in Ubon, but recently freely admitted to me that it was actually for 800k... she didn't want to tell me because her mom had to sell most of their family gold to make it happen, and she thought it would trouble me to hear that. I am slightly concerned about the haste with which they felt necessitated selling their gold (no relationship advice please), but I'm more concerned that she was cheated by the builder, whose plans didn't really seem to me to lay out a house that expensive:

The plan is for a largish 5-room house with two bathrooms and a kitchen, and a perimeter wall around the property (don't recall dimensions, but lot isn't much bigger than house). One storey, but poured beams and posts raised a meter off the ground, and thus a riased poured concrete slab for the floor. -that's the most irritating to me, if she'd just contracted for it to be two or three meteres as opposed to one, the place could have two full floors. oh well, maybe a basement is possible.

Anyway, i'm not expecting any fancy fixtures in this place, so I'm thinking, just from what i've picked up on thaivisa over time, that she might have been cheated out of 2-300k baht.... on the other hand, there is some legitimacy to the argument that the builder may TRY harder and be more amicable to her requested as the construction goes along, because she payed 'extra' for the place... but i don't know. The posts and beams are already poured. Let me know if it's OK or if I should try to do something, thanks.

Edited by Svenn

If you want advice, you'll have to be more specific than a largish 5 roomed house. What is it? 3 bedrooms, kitchen, lounge and 2 bathrooms? How big are the rooms? Does it include ceilings? (Many houses do not). Land cost included or not? Start with telling us how many square metres.

A basic crap house, single storey, 72 Sqm costs about 200,000 including tiling and basic electrics, but no ceiling or kitchen. A raised house will be more, maybe 270,000. The finishing touches can send the price sky high. Add decent windows and doors instead of the rubbish that most Isaan houses use and the price goes up again.

Edited by loong

A raised up house is more expensive to build than one directly on the ground and a lot more time consuming for the builder. But In order for us to help you please be more specific with dimensions and materials we can then offer some constructive thoughts.

sorry about that- roughly 120 square meters- 3 bedrooms, kitchen, 2 bathrooms. I'm not sure about the finishing touches, but i've insisted on nice big window frames (baangohp?) which i've been told are wood. I don't know if it has a ceiling or not, let's just say for the sake of argument it does. the kitchen won't be western- no oven, etc., probably just counters and sink. tiling on floor, not on walls. I mean, maybe he's going to choose really nice doors or aircon or something... but I still don't see how that can go up to 800k. Also, that does not include the land, which she owned already... but it does include a basic 2.5 meter high block wall around the lot- the lot being 200 square meters roughly. no landscaping, etc. ...besides the price, my biggest question is: why the heck didn't he just add an extra meter on the poured posts so the house would be two storeys??!!

No telling. We just built a 7x7 meter house, one story, and we will spend around 700K (not inculding land) including one meter of fill, real walls around the perimeter, paved drive, footpaths, air con, electric entrance, carport, etc., steel framed roof, tile floors, nets and bars on windows, front gate, plumbing, sewer, etc., etc. All for under US$20,000. Cannot imagine twice that much house for half the price.

Wait, omg, I've just found out that the actual dimensions are 12 meters by 24 meters, making it 288 meter square house, 3 bathrooms instead of just 2. Now 800k is sounding more reasonable, especially considering PeaceBlondie's post- btw, this is Isaan so the prices are probably cheaper than Chiang Mai, plus, from what my gf is telling me, the builder actually gave her a discount as he is able to build most of her house with leftover materials from another house he's building, and he needed to pay a hospital bill. 16 sao (posts). CPAC-Monier tile roof (omg, before I thought it was tin sheets).

Wait, omg, I've just found out that the actual dimensions are 12 meters by 24 meters, making it 288 meter square ................ 16 sao (posts)........

are you sure about that? That would mean that the posts would be 6 mtres apart, actually 15 posts

More often you will see them 4 metres apart, so 16 posts in a 12 x 12 metre house.

If your info is accurate and the price includes a decent wall around the place you are getting a bargain.

Just the house at 288 sqm for 800k is less than 3k baht per sqm. A decent house and fixtures is around 6k or 7k. And you say the wall is included? Wow!

Wait, omg, I've just found out that the actual dimensions are 12 meters by 24 meters, making it 288 meter square ................ 16 sao (posts)........

are you sure about that? That would mean that the posts would be 6 mtres apart, actually 15 posts

More often you will see them 4 metres apart, so 16 posts in a 12 x 12 metre house.

Not exactly sure, but she's showing me photos of the posts now. The appear to be particularly more massive than most posts I've seen in Thailand- like 20 inches by 20 inches... maybe that explains the 6 meters apart thing.

Not exactly sure, but she's showing me photos of the posts now. The appear to be particularly more massive than most posts I've seen in Thailand- like 20 inches by 20 inches... maybe that explains the 6 meters apart thing.

We have some 6m spans in our design, columns are 0.6m (23") square. House is 17m x 14m total of 18 columns.

Well there ya go! You are getting a bargain right? House raised up one meter, 3 bathrooms, C Pack roof AND a perimeter wall, cant be bad.

Materiel and labor cost to a builder on a normal farang style house is around 5k to 6k a meter so for you to come in under 3k a meter is fantastic, you need to cherish this man and look after him like one of the family.

Maybe your girlfriend has a special deal with him to get this price!!!!

Suspect you mean 20cm x 20 cm (not 20 inches) sao poons that is standard size.

Edited by Rimmer

Well there ya go! You are getting a bargain right? House raised up one meter, 3 bathrooms, C Pack roof AND a perimeter wall, cant be bad.

Materiel and labor cost to a builder on a normal farang style house is around 5k to 6k a meter so for you to come in under 3k a meter is fantastic, you need to cherish this man and look after him like one of the family.

Maybe your girlfriend has a special deal with him to get this price!!!!

Suspect you mean 20cm x 20 cm (not 20 inches) sao poons that is standard size.

I'n not an engineer, but if 6metre spans supporting a concrete floor 20 inches sounds more likely than 20cm.

I think that 2 x 6 meter spans are quite a lot more expensive than 3 x 4 metre spans because of the extra concrete and rebar required both in the posts and the lintels (is that the right word?). That's why most houses are built with a maximum 4metre space between posts

"70 to 80 cm, finished." These columns most likely have a brick/block facade and plastering.

Peaceblond said thats the finished size. Most standard columns for a normal 4-5 meter span are 20cm x 20cm unfinished and in the cheapo rental I live in the columns are only 15cm square

I'm sorry to sound negative but I think you don't yet know the whole story or most importantly what the final cost is going to be!!!!!!!!!

Wait, omg, I've just found out that the actual dimensions are 12 meters by 24 meters, making it 288 meter square house, 3 bathrooms instead of just 2. Now 800k is sounding more reasonable, especially considering PeaceBlondie's post- btw, this is Isaan so the prices are probably cheaper than Chiang Mai, plus, from what my gf is telling me, the builder actually gave her a discount as he is able to build most of her house with leftover materials from another house he's building, and he needed to pay a hospital bill. 16 sao (posts). CPAC-Monier tile roof (omg, before I thought it was tin sheets).

A 288 sq.m. one story house on a plot that you in a previous post (post #4) estimated to be roughly 200 sq.m.

Something just doesn't add up here.

Sophon

• 2 weeks later...
My gf told me she contracted to build a 400k house in Ubon, but recently freely admitted to me that it was actually for 800k... she didn't want to tell me because her mom had to sell most of their family gold to make it happen, and she thought it would trouble me to hear that. I am slightly concerned about the haste with which they felt necessitated selling their gold (no relationship advice please), but I'm more concerned that she was cheated by the builder, whose plans didn't really seem to me to lay out a house that expensive:

The plan is for a largish 5-room house with two bathrooms and a kitchen, and a perimeter wall around the property (don't recall dimensions, but lot isn't much bigger than house). One storey, but poured beams and posts raised a meter off the ground, and thus a riased poured concrete slab for the floor. -that's the most irritating to me, if she'd just contracted for it to be two or three meteres as opposed to one, the place could have two full floors. oh well, maybe a basement is possible.

Anyway, i'm not expecting any fancy fixtures in this place, so I'm thinking, just from what i've picked up on thaivisa over time, that she might have been cheated out of 2-300k baht.... on the other hand, there is some legitimacy to the argument that the builder may TRY harder and be more amicable to her requested as the construction goes along, because she payed 'extra' for the place... but i don't know. The posts and beams are already poured. Let me know if it's OK or if I should try to do something, thanks.

In another of your topics you said your girlfriend didn't have a mother.Think it wasn't the builder cheating.

In another of your topics you said your girlfriend didn't have a mother.Think it wasn't the builder cheating.

There is a huge difference in what you can get for 800K in Pattaya, Chiang Mai, Phuket, Bangkok............and Ubon and other places in the hinterlands.

800K in Ubon, with proper design, and with all family members and friends working (and most male Thais living in hinterlands work in construction already), can produce a nice house, one that will be the envy of most other Thais in the area.

Hopefully she will be smart enough to create large spaces...........with very large windows all around. If you are going to live there from time to time, I would strongly suggest adding a swimming pool for a bit more money.

The structure will likely be brick............tile floors throughout............this is typical when a Thai wants to build a Western style house. Avoid wood...........you would not believe the bugs here and they love wood.

Good luck.

I just got a quote for a 150 square meter house. Three bedroom and two bathrooms. All good quality materials. 2.3 MILLION baht.

Where? We built our house in Thailand in the middle of nowhere Thailand for about 1 million baht..........the entire extended family, neighbors, and maybe the dog and cat, worked to build it.

Square meters...........sorry don't know.

It is a nice, large house w/ lots of space.......two bathrooms, huge kitchen, huge living room........two bedrooms (actually we have a space that adjoins the living room that can be used as another bedroom, but it is my office now).

One of the main things I like about it are the huge windows around the entire house.......when inside it almost feels like you are outside.

I think you can construct a very nice house for 800K in the right location and with the right help (low paid or unpaid help).

Thais always do this.........when a tin shack goes up, the entire neighborhood helps with the construction........you help me and later I will help you.

You can build an 800k house or a 2.5 million house of the same size. It all depends on the quality and specs you want. If you will accept a lower level of everything from the foundation up to the final finish then a lower price is certainly possible. If you want a higher level and expect an experienced builder to do it then the 2.5 or more comes in to play.

Most of us try to build something that fits our desires and needs and to fit in to that all important budget we have.

I think you can construct a very nice house for 800K in the right location and with the right help (low paid or unpaid help).
I agree with this basic statement.

With this method you will indeed get an 800k house. If that makes you happy then by all means go this route. But if you have a bigger budget and an eye that sees all the mistakes and poor workmanship than I would stay away from this type of build. And before someone jumps on me to say this low paid help can do good work, I'm sure it's possible to get quality from them but not likely as their life is not about building houses it's about working in the fields or some other rural thing. If you want and expect quality work and something that can stand the test of time you need to have a builder and crew that does this for a living and knows what they are doing. That costs more. I don't care if it's in rural Issan or downtown Rayong. Quality work costs money.

Edited by longball53098

Generally speaking, you are right Longball, but don't forget that more expensive doesn't automatically mean better quality.

If using a contractor it's always better to check out examples of their work before employing them.

Along time ago, I had a gate made and fitted Highest quote was 24,000 Baht and quality was no better than another contractor that quoted 10,000 + costs for concreting materials. The lower quote got the job. The only problem that I had with them was that the person that they usually used for the concrete support posts wasn't available and they did it themselves. Although they were very skilful with the metalwork, they weren't so hot with concrete.

Generally speaking, you are right Longball, but don't forget that more expensive doesn't automatically mean better quality.

If using a contractor it's always better to check out examples of their work before employing them.

Along time ago, I had a gate made and fitted Highest quote was 24,000 Baht and quality was no better than another contractor that quoted 10,000 + costs for concreting materials. The lower quote got the job. The only problem that I had with them was that the person that they usually used for the concrete support posts wasn't available and they did it themselves. Although they were very skilful with the metalwork, they weren't so hot with concrete.

I agree. And you accepted the sacrifices of the lower concrete work if you knew this going in. Just think how you would have felt if you took the higher quote and the same thing happened or worse. But you did you're best to research the two bidders and felt for the money that was the best deal for you.

I agree. And you accepted the sacrifices of the lower concrete work if you knew this going in. Just think how you would have felt if you took the higher quote and the same thing happened or worse. But you did you're best to research the two bidders and felt for the money that was the best deal for you.

The funny thing was that they were recommended by the guy who usually did their concrete work.

He did actually offer to come and improve it later when he had some spare time, but I did it myself. No real distress, but a lesson learnt. I had inspected their previous work, and they were obviously very skilled at metalwork. I didn't even think about questioning about the concrete work.

As I said before, it's always best to check a builder's previous jobs, but don't assume that he will use the same contractors for the different aspects of construction. Check whether he has a team under his employment that builds a house from start to finish or does he use different subcontractors for blockwork, rendering, roof, windows, tiling and electrics.

I had some window repairs done and contracted the best local craftsman. He started the job and then handed over to unskilled idiots. Unfortunately I was out of the country at the time.

... Not exactly sure, but she's showing me photos of the posts now. The appear to be particularly more massive than most posts I've seen in Thailand- like 20 inches by 20 inches... maybe that explains the 6 meters apart thing.

A span of 4 meters is pretty much the limit for a standard 20cm sowpoon (post).

Figure on 1,500 - 2,000 baht/m2 for the labor costs, and another 4,000 - 4,500 baht for materials on a modest, semi-western-style house (Sheet-style roof, tile bathroom with shower, toilet, sink, Thai-style kitchen counters, ceramic tile flooring, recessed electricals, gypsum ceiling, aluminum windows). So - figure about 6,000 baht/m2 for the living area. In a house like this, a good deal of the materials cost is in the structural elements - steel for the roof structure, rebar, and cement/sand/rock. In the house we just completed, the structural materials accounted for about 55-60% of the total material costs.

If you've got 20 inch (not 20cm) columns, then they used a lot more concrete and steel (rebar) than what would have been used in a standard 20cm sowpoon. That's about 6.5 times more concrete, and considerably more rebar.

So - if you got 288 square meters of living space with decent quality for 800K baht (under 3,000 baht/m2), then you got an incredible deal. Add to this a CPAC Monier style roof, precast cement floor panels for the raised floor, and a perimeter wall, and you're down to a price that, quite frankly, seems too good to be true.

Edited by DrDave

I just got a quote for a 150 square meter house. Three bedroom and two bathrooms. All good quality materials. 2.3 MILLION baht.

Where? We built our house in Thailand in the middle of nowhere Thailand for about 1 million baht..........the entire extended family, neighbors, and maybe the dog and cat, worked to build it.

Square meters...........sorry don't know.

It is a nice, large house w/ lots of space.......two bathrooms, huge kitchen, huge living room........two bedrooms (actually we have a space that adjoins the living room that can be used as another bedroom, but it is my office now).

One of the main things I like about it are the huge windows around the entire house.......when inside it almost feels like you are outside.

Thais always do this.........when a tin shack goes up, the entire neighborhood helps with the construction........you help me and later I will help you.

We already have the land. The quote was from Alan The Builder. He advertises on Udon Map.