Protesters Attack Army Head Office With Molotov Cocktails

george

Red-shirted protesters attack Army head office with Molotov cocktails

BANGKOK: -- A group of protesters threw Molotov cocktails inside the Army headquarters at 5 pm.

They also set fire to an air-conditioned bus in the area.

-- The Nation 2009-04-13

This is getting so out of hand, it almost feels like a war. These people have to be stopped before someone is seriously injured or killed.

I don't know the layout there, but how did they ever get close enough to throw these *inside*??? It's really discouraging...

Petrol bombs thrown into Army HQ

BANGKOK: -- Red-shirt members set fire to a bus in front of the Army headquarters and threw petrol bombs into the compound, then fled.

The bus was among those hijacked by red-shirts, and it had been abandoned near the Ratchadamnoen boxing stadium before a group of red-shirts set it alight. Reporters and military personnel behind the Army headquarters fence ran for cover when petrol bombs were thrown in, but nobody was injured.

Hundreds of troops were stationed behind compound fences and a barbed wire barrier was erected along the front side of the compound after the incident.

-- Bangkok Post 2009-04-13

Petrol bombs thrown into Army HQ

BANGKOK: -- Red-shirt members set fire to a bus in front of the Army headquarters and threw petrol bombs into the compound, then fled.

The bus was among those hijacked by red-shirts, and it had been abandoned near the Ratchadamnoen boxing stadium before a group of red-shirts set it alight. Reporters and military personnel behind the Army headquarters fence ran for cover when petrol bombs were thrown in, but nobody was injured.

Hundreds of troops were stationed behind compound fences and a barbed wire barrier was erected along the front side of the compound after the incident.

-- Bangkok Post 2009-04-13

GEE... thats reeeall smarrt!

This is getting so out of hand, it almost feels like a war. These people have to be stopped before someone is seriously injured or killed.

What if you have to seriously injure them or kill them to stop them?

Given events of the past 2 years no one can claim the army HQ is not a legitimate target. Buses are a different matter of course.

Edited by edwardandtubs

What if you have to seriously injure them or kill them to stop them?

Given events of the past 2 years no one can claim the army HQ is not a legitimate target. Buses are a different matter of course.

Spot on post.

The Army started this, prolonged it, meddled with constitutions and elections, lost the election despite the meddling, put the PAD upto overthrowing that government, turfed a PM out for cooking on TV and stood on the sidelines only to ensure the police did not disperse the PAD when Somchai proved more resiliant than he looked.

Then, they set up a militia, provoke a response and turn out in force at the slightest sign that their masters grip on Thailand may be weakend.

Yes, definately a legitimate target of anger. But I do know that many support the reds and there will be plenty going on behind the scenes. Most of the conscripts are poor and could soon turn if there is a strong enough figure at the top. The Police have publically critisised the Army for going in heavy handed this morning.

At least they are isolating themselves now and showing that they, PAD, Abhisit, Newin and his blueshirts, are the problem that Thailand must resolve before it can move on.

BANGKOK: -- A group of protesters threw Molotov cocktails inside the Army headquarters at 5 pm.

-- The Nation 2009-04-13

Just wondering who had the idea to keep the buses going and not keep them in their compounds, they are being used as weapons and tools for destruction. Are the bus companies on the red team?

Just wondering who had the idea to keep the buses going and not keep them in their compounds, they are being used as weapons and tools for destruction. Are the bus companies on the red team?

Call it an attempt to maintain some basic services. Most people do not own private transport and have to get to work or somewhere. I don't think it was a question of taking sides but of trying to maintain some semblance of normalcy in a bad time.

Democracy Now. Give them a fair election with out having a kangaroo court reverse it. Just like one Thai said on the interview on Cnn:I am not a great supporter of Thaksin but I would like to see my son live under a real democracy. Is this to much to asked for and all the BS be over.

Democracy Now. Give them a fair election with out having a kangaroo court reverse it. Just like one Thai said on the interview on Cnn:I am not a great supporter of Thaksin but I would like to see my son live under a real democracy. Is this to much to asked for and all the BS be over.

And if the election is not fair and fraudulent, what should the court do???

And if the election is not fair and fraudulent, what should the court do???

The only solution is to send US army ;-)

-- The Nation 2009-04-13

Yeah because some a--eholes want to make a problem why not cancel the public bus service,skytrain,subway,stop the taxis.Something else that can be closed?Yeah also cut the electric and water providing.

Thailand is (again) a dictatorship (in disguise?) of the YELLOWS! The thai army did nothing against the yellows and their blockades last year, but now they are very active to defend the existing yellow dictorship. It gets not more simple, anybody can see it worldwide.

At least they protested peaceful.I don't choose any side because it is not my problem as a foreigner but it is clear that those "red" guys are a bunch of thugs.

Thailand is (again) a dictatorship (in disguise?) of the YELLOWS! The thai army did nothing against the yellows and their blockades last year, but now they are very active to defend the existing yellow dictorship. It gets not more simple, anybody can see it worldwide.

At least they protested peaceful.I don't choose any side because it is not my problem as a foreigner but it is clear that those "red" guys are a bunch of thugs.

Fighting against a dictatorship is almost impossible, see Myanmar or Tibet as examples.

Fighting against a dictatorship is almost impossible, see Myanmar or Tibet as examples.

Why you call this a dictatorship?The ruling party is on for just a few months.I guess the previous government was closer to what you say.

Why you call this a dictatorship?The ruling party is on for just a few months.I guess the previous government was closer to what you say.

If there is a party other than the yellows too long in an "government", the militäry could get an order for a coup any day.

Spoke on the phone tonight to a mates g/f asking about the time his flight is due in on Wednesday and about going down to meet him.

She says he might have to delay his arrival because of the violence and petrol bombs she saw on her way to and from work today (Monday).

Sky News have commented that this comes around roughly every four years in Thailand, just like the Olympics......

Thats no joke! I just read since 1932 there have been 18 coups!

The last coup September 2006 was against a democratic elected government.

since disbanded by the courts for vote buying - get the facts straight.

Sky News have commented that this comes around roughly every four years in Thailand, just like the Olympics......

Thats no joke! I just read since 1932 there have been 18 coups!

since disbanded by the courts for vote buying - get the facts straight.

As instructed by their military masters.

We already have the facts straight. The electorate is and always has been aware of those same facts. Every elected government in Thailand has taken office on the back of votes corruptly bought. In the West they use lies and false promises (including broken promises of referenda) to buy votes. In Thailand it is all very much more transparent.

The establishment through military force has tried to limit the choice of the people by excluding and disbanding the party the people want and a whole big section of the electorate is unhappy with that situation.

I condemn the violence but have no alternative suggestion as to a way in which the majority can effectively secure their right to democratic representation.

The Army started this, prolonged it, meddled with constitutions and elections, lost the election despite the meddling, put the PAD upto overthrowing that government, turfed a PM out for cooking on TV and stood on the sidelines only to ensure the police did not disperse the PAD when Somchai proved more resiliant than he looked.

Then, they set up a militia

Sorry, when did the Army set up a militia ? If you're talking about the blue-shirts, I've read elsewhere that they may well be under Newin's private control, in which case they were surely part of the PPP/Red-Shirts until Newin changed sides in December ?

Please get your facts right, Thaksin when overthrown was an appointed caretaker-PM, the 2nd TRT government had been democratically re-elected in 2005, but Thaksin then called new elections for April 2006, which were flawed and annulled.

This has all been widely discussed many times on ThaiVisa. :o

Would any of the posters who previously portrayed the Red-Shirts as peaceful or unarmed, care to comment on their position following this latest event, an armed attack on Army HQ using molotov cocktails ? Time to call a 'protester' a terrorist, at this point, in my own view. :D