• Topics

• Latest posts...

1. 2

Former Aussie cop’s epic run across Thailand for tsunami victims

2. 7

Thailand triumphs in UN Human Rights council bid

3. 0

Donald Trump’s New Tax Promise: Eliminating Income Taxes for Americans Abroad

4. 2

Former Aussie cop’s epic run across Thailand for tsunami victims

5. 23

Pattaya Police Raid Poker Gambling Ring, Arrest 9 Foreign Players

6. 61

Why Do You Even Drink?

7. 23

8. 14

Thaksin and Pheu Thai Party face constitutional showdown

9. 1

Police Identify 24 Suspects in Connection with Hundreds of Deaths at UK Hospital

10. 9

Thailand Live Friday 11 October 2024

11. 0

60-Year-Old Man Fatally Shoots Ex-Girlfriend, Then Himself, After Failed Reconciliation

12. 0

Thai Police Bust Multi-Million Baht Sex Toy Smuggling Ring

13. 130

Trump chickens out again.

14. 23

15. 23

Evil Bloody Evil

Nienke

Nooooooooo, this is not about evil dogs, guard dogs, protection dogs, trained or not trained or whatever. It's about the evil spirits that were flying above my house yesterday. They have invaded my car. :P

Two days I haven't used my car. And now there's something wrong with the handbrake. Before, no problem.

Sure enough, this happens when all shops are closed. :D

Always when I park I put up the handbrake. When driving off I put it down and the light that tells you if your handbrake is on goes off. Ok, it took a while before I managed NOT to forget that minor part, but I've become pretty good in it. :o

NOW, that light doesn't go off. Well, sometimes it does and sometimes it doesn't. :wai: I start the car, handbrake down, light goes off. I drive away in 1st gear, light goes on. I brake, light goes off.

I make a turn light goes on. I break or push the clutch light goes off. If I don't drive faster than 60k/hr :D it's ok for most of the time.

Tomorrow I need to bring dogs home, and the day after need to collect one.

I asked the 'men' in the house to chase off those evils, but I got only BIG question marks above their heads and total silence. Not even a bloody protection woof. :D

Can any of you car-experts tell me what's wrong with my car, please? Can I still drive (60 k/hr :D ) without it breaking apart till the mechanic opens again and can check it? Is there anyone out there who can remove the evil spirits?

Thanks.

Nienke

Edited by Nienke

Nothing more serious than the ghost of a bad wiring connection. Brakes are connected to wires. You can ignore the bad light so long as the brake itself is not dragging. Same as when the foot pedal brake light wire breaks

Brake is English noun for the thing that stops the car. Break is verb for when something misfires or malfunctions. Yeah, I know; I taught English. :o

At first I thought you were referring to something else and you meant to post in the Ladies Forum. :o

Make sure your rear brake lights and turn signals are working correctly, that is more important at the moment if you plan on driving it anywhere. The hand brake has a switch that may have something in the way now or just out of alignment.

Woops, I think you caught me on a Freudian slip, PB. At least I was consistent. I've editted it now.

Can very well be the wiring. It's an old car. My fear is that the brAKE is dragging and I only find out too late.

Loaded: are you suggesting that I'm going after the pii IN my car with a bamboo tube? :D ME? Poor car!

Anyway, I'm forbidden by BB to do any repairwork by myself. Suppose that includes pii catching.

On the other hand, just reminds me, burning camphor seems to work well against pii. :o

My hand brake has a switch???????????????????????? Where???????????????????

Have no choice I NEEEEEEEEDDDDDD the car. Can borrow a car if really really no other choice. But don't want to borrow a car. Not with all these dogs. Uuhhhhhh ... and electricity poles .....

The brake lights and turn signals are (still) working ok. :o

Edited by Nienke

My hand brake has a switch???????????????????????? Where???????????????????

The brake lights and turn signals are (still) working ok. :D

The switch is going to be rather hidden below the boot of the brake, so unlikely you can't get to it (just to clarify, it's not a toggle on/off switch). :o The brake normally goes to a steel wire and held through a ratchet mechanism. If the handle is down, then the cable is most likely released and not a problem.

//edit - network problems with TV server so disregard any duplicate posts of mine. :D

Thanks PB and Tywais, and also a bit Loaded :o for your helpfull replies. Now, at least I understand a bit what's going on. As soon as the nearby mechanic is open again my car will be there.

Oh, and Tywais, you're a mod. Doesn't that mean you can remove duplicate posts?

Nothing more serious than the ghost of a bad wiring connection. Brakes are connected to wires. You can ignore the bad light so long as the brake itself is not dragging. Same as when the foot pedal brake light wire breaks

Brake is English noun for the thing that stops the car. Break is verb for when something misfires or malfunctions. Yeah, I know; I taught English. :D

Are you telling us not to break our brake, PeaceBlondie? :o:D When you get older all sorts of things malfunction. :D

I would agree the problem is probably wiring. But, finding the correct faulty wiring is sometimes like looking for a needle in the haystack.

You are talking about the little red dashboard light with the ! mark on it, yes? This means STOP. It comes on when your handbrake is on, but it will also come on if there is something wrong with the engine etc that the car has been set up to inform you that its not safe to drive (not safe to you perhaps, or the car). Check you hand manual and you will see this is so. Time for a trip to the main dealer I think.

One easy way to tell if your parking brake is locked on is to drive a half kilometer without breaking, then stop and go out of the car and feel each break hub and surrounding metal and see if it is hot or warmer than the others. Most older car hand brakes used the rear wheels, but cars nowadays?????

One easy way to tell if your parking brake is locked on is to drive a half kilometer without breaking, then stop and go out of the car and feel each break hub and surrounding metal and see if it is hot or warmer than the others. Most older car hand brakes used the rear wheels, but cars nowadays?????

same, same.

If you want to know if the fault is merely a wiring fault ( and it probably is) then drive the car onto any inclined section of road. stop the car -apply the hand brake.

When you take the hand brake off( without starting the engine) the car should start to roll. This will confirm it is only a fault with the switch or wiring and your car is safe to drive.

the light might indicate something as serious as not enough brake fluid or brake pads that needs to be replaced.

again best to go back to the manual of the car. if you do not have it, you can always go to the manufacturers website and see if they have an online version. searching for a manufacturers forum might be the other way to do it. see if the members know anything about it. same same like you would ask here on the chiang mai forum: where is the best place to get a hamburger, pizza, burrito or if Charin serves the best pies in town (or out of town).

did i hear correct about Songkran being extended another 2 days?

Edited by tigerbeer

Yep, or pressure switch on master brake cylinder and/or wiring to said switch - problem with low voltage wiring is the connections have to be spot on. Defo have a look at brake fluid level and get the brakes checked out :o

Just went to the airport and back. Bit nervewrecking, got to admit. But made it safe and sound. On the way to the airport, lots of on and off of that light. On the way back hardly. :o

A big thanks :D to you all for replying. I understand that it can be several things, wiring, switch, brake fluid or pads etc.

At the airport I checked the brakes. There was nothing hotter than normal. Won't be surprised it's the wiring as that hasn't been checked for some years now. Brake fluid and pads has been changed a while ago. But will ask them to check as well.

As for the manual ..... uuuuuhhhhhhhhh

and a hyundai dealer? ... last year or so, they told me they are no more. So will have to go to another mechanic.

And second-hand Hyundais are worth nothing nowadays. :D

Now keeping my fingers crossed that the mechanic can repair the problem in only a couple of hours.

@ BlackArtemis. I'm NOT going to have a little puppet with a string around the throat dingle-dangle at the back of my car. Call me superstitious, but it just doesn't give me good feeling.

Nienke, this is a diagram of the handbrake system of a Hyundai Excel. The red arrow indicates the microswitch which may be faulty. A little spray of WD40 will probably fix the problem.

Hope this helps. :o

I just downloaded the entire workshop manual. If you want any more info please let me know.

post-24617-1239775200_thumb.jpg

Nienke, this is a diagram of the handbrake system of a Hyundai Excel. The red arrow indicates the microswitch which may be faulty. A little spray of WD40 will probably fix the problem.

Hope this helps. :o

I just downloaded the entire workshop manual. If you want any more info please let me know.

Thanks, BB. Will have a look at it. Don't have WD40. Will Carretex multi-oil do as well? It says 'for car' ....

It's been more than 15 years now that I looked at a diagram as you posted. I sure forgot an awfull lot. :D Besides the theory and little practice at college I never did anything with (motor, tractor, chainsaw, tree-cutter etc) engines again. And when you don't practice it's all gone before you know it. :D I did enjoy the practical part though at college, not the theory. That I remember. :D

Faulty hand break micro switch pure and simple mate.

Or the brake fluid sensor.

The brake warning light is connected to both the micro switch and the brake fluid sensor (see the wiring diagram in my previous post).

Nienke, check that there is sufficient brake fluid in the Brake Master Cylinder. If it is full then most likely the micro switch is sticking.

Got to admit your very helpfull posts are a bit confronting, BB. Confronting in the sense that I painfully realize my own laziness concerning cars engines and the necessary maintenance. :D

As said I've followed some courses; 2T's, 4T's, compressors, ignition, blah-blah-blah. Since, never did anything with it again other than 'something wrong? Bring car or grass-cutter away for repair', or 'during oil change have them check the car'.

So, when reading 'Brake Master Cylinder' I was thinking 'where the heck is that again?' (embarrassing, I know) Found it, though, and the fluid is in the middle of the low and max. Obviously my brakes have become a bit thirsty by now. Time to give them a sip. If that doesn't do the trick I'll check that switch. And when the car has to go for an oil change, I'll ask them to check the whole brake system as well. Now, they are still working pretty well.

It's fun to be able to some of the repair work myself, but for that I need to go with my nose in the books/manuals. It's just that studying and working with dogs and their health is WAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY much more fun and interesting than computers and cars. :o And that takes most of my time.

Nonetheless, thank you, BB and all others, very much for all your help!