Can Foreigner Open A Baht Account In Bangkok?

Can foreigner open a baht account in the major banks in bangkok? which one? what sort of documents are required?

NO!

:o:D:D

I think you can open a Savings Account, with a Card {that cannot be used online} with Kasikorn {Thai Farmers}

Can foreigner open a baht account in the major banks in bangkok? which one? what sort of documents are required?

NO!

:o:D:D

I think you can open a Savings Account, with a Card {that cannot be used online} with Kasikorn {Thai Farmers}

Definitely. Don't believe GungaBin.

I have more than one. In Bangkok and in the provinces. The provinces are more relaxed.

Depending on the bank dictates what you need. Bangkok Bank head office in Silom can be the most painful.

Across the road I opened a new one last month with no fuss.

Usually I open with a passport. I have an ATM card with debit visa.

Actually the correct answer is that each branch manager holds the power in his branch to decide regardless of company policy of that particular bank whether you can or cant. Most folk agree Kasikorn Bank often say "yes"

Edited by yabaaaa

Okay, who's had success recently opening an account (to get an ATM card to withdraw money transferred from abroad using the over-the-counter debit card method) on a non-imm-'O' without WP? Especially interested in receptive branches along the Suk BTS line, closer to On Nut the better.

Silom's a bit out of the way but what branch is across the road from Bangkok Bank, Raylo?

If I open an account at one branch, how often, if at all, would I need to return to that particular branch?

Okay, who's had success recently opening an account (to get an ATM card to withdraw money transferred from abroad using the over-the-counter debit card method) on a non-imm-'O' without WP? Especially interested in receptive branches along the Suk BTS line, closer to On Nut the better.

Silom's a bit out of the way but what branch is across the road from Bangkok Bank, Raylo?

If I open an account at one branch, how often, if at all, would I need to return to that particular branch?

Hi P:

It is Kasikorn accross the road. I also have a Bangkok Bank account from a provincial branch and a HSBC account (Rama IV near Sathorn)active but not recent. Accounts in my own name. ATM debit card useable overseas. I do not and never had a work permit.

Have had problems on 2 occassions with Bangkok Bank head office.

There is no fixed requirement to return to whatever branch you open with

The Law say : "NO"

Kaisakorn Bank and some Bangkok Banks say : "OK"

Bring your passport and and address where you stay in the area of the bank. They need no proof of the address, just have an address handy, like the house or room you rent.

Kaisakorns and Bangkok Bank card can be used overseas. I have used mine in Vietnam and Europe. They did not work in Laos.

Only Kaisakorns Card can be used for online shopping as this card has the little numbers on the reveres side. Bangkok Bank card do not.

You need an opening balance of some 10.000 Thb. Tell you need the account for some money transfer from you home country, they like that.

Edited by Notariousus

Bring your passport and and address where you stay in the area of the bank. They need no proof of the address, just have an address handy, like the house or room you rent.

Kaisakorns and Bangkok Bank card can be used overseas. I have used mine in Vietnam and Europe. They did not work in Laos.

Only Kaisakorns Card can be used for online shopping as this card has the little numbers on the reveres side. Bangkok Bank card do not.

You need an opening balance of some 10.000 Thb. Tell you need the account for some money transfer from you home country, they like that.

If the Law says No = as you state, why do immigration want 400,000 (spouse) or 800,000 (retirement) in a bank for 3 months prior to visa renewal

Your advice is BS. Thee is no law here that says you can not open a baht account, in fact immigration require it!

poppycock old boy.....there is no such law...in fact immigration offices require you to have a THAI bank for certain visa/extension applications....my salary must be paid into a THAI bank also...dont post useless information

poppycock old boy.....there is no such law...in fact immigration offices require you to have a THAI bank for certain visa/extension applications....my salary must be paid into a THAI bank also...dont post useless information

Further - BBL's debit card has CVV (3 numbers on the back) for internet shopping.

Documents required are:

1. Passport

2. One document showing identity such as embassy certified copy of passport, letter from home bank, reference letter or drivers license

3. if one of the items in (2) does not show address, then additional doc showing address is required.

For a person with a WP, then that will suffice for 2 and 3.

Opening account deposit for savings a/c is 500bt, but debit cards will cost 100bt for joining fee and 200 bt for annual fee.

I have said before that I have opened a Kasikorn savings account with just a passport, no certified copies, no referrals from employer, I am retired so don't have a work permit, and no letter from my Auntie Lil.

Just walked into the Kasikorn branch near Sukhumvit 55, by Thonglor BTS, and it was sorted by very helpful and friendly staff. I could have walked out with a debit card straight away, but decided to wait a few days for one with my name embossed on it, though might have problems using the generic one in The UK. Whilst it's a savings account, so no cheque book, I have full internet banking and pay all my bills online.

The debit card is no good for online purchases, so I signed up for their web based card which is a virtual card and I have used it successfully online frequently.

The normal advice on this forum is usually go into a convienient branch and you will probably get your account, if not, go to the next branch and you will probably get what you need.

I have said before that I have opened a Kasikorn savings account with just a passport, no certified copies, no referrals from employer, I am retired so don't have a work permit, and no letter from my Auntie Lil.

Seconded. :o

2 years ago, just for fun, picked 4 banks branches from this forum where people reported no hassles with opening a bank account.

All asked: Work permit.

No account opening.

Not to hurt anyone but I am longing for the day the rules are followed in Thailand, everywhere.

I opened an account with Bangkok Bank at the branch just before immigration (Suan Phlu) on the same side of the road.

I had only an entry stamp but they asked for a Thai to countersign. Basically that's to say they know me and the Thai is no way responsible for me or the account.

I have an Debit Card good for the ATM too. Even withdrew money out with it while in the states.

Okay, here's up to the minute (well a few hours ago now) info.

Based on intel. received from an Australian sleeper agent working deep undercover in darkest Bangkok (hope that doesn't give you away GungaDin) I mounted an expedition to Kasikorn Bank, Phrom Phong (about 200m West and opposite from Emporium).

All I had with me was my passport with Non-Imm 'O' (about 9.5 months left), a receipt for my apartment deposit and some cards from the apartment's reception giving the address. Oh, and a wallet full of cash.

They took a photocopy of my passport - photopage, departure card and visa stamp - and I signed each image.

The debit card costs 300 baht and a minimum deposit of 500 baht is required, they seemed happy when I pulled 10k out of my wallet. I emerged with:

1) A K-Debit Card with VISA and PLUS logos and three digit number on the sig. strip. It says Electronic Use Only on the front.

2) A Savings Deposit Passbook - presumably what I would wave in the face of Immigration if I were ever to reach the dizzy heights of wealth required for a retirement or marriage extension.

3) Receipts for the 10k and 300baht card payment

4) A new PIN for the card.

5) A chit giving the necessary information for overseas (SWIFT) transfers.

An email will follow, in two days, with a username and password for online banking.

I was marched to the ATM in the lobby and an assistant entered the PIN that came with the card and waited while I changed it to the PIN of my choice.

Apparently I can withdraw up to 50k per day (more than three times my UK ATM limit)

I was told I cannot draw money over the counter using my UK debit card and pay that into the account - I'm sure I read that was doable somewhere on TV, will have to investigate.

The whole process took almost exactly 45 minutes, including about 20 minutes initial fidgeting on a bench (take a newspaper if you are not a skilled fidgeter). Really quite painless. :o

I opened a savings account with just my passport, my address in Bangkok and about THB100,000 in cash. Krung Thai Bank in sukhumvit Soi 22.

Fairly painless exercise although the girls working there seemed far more interested in the novelty of a guy of Afro-Caribbean descent with (I'm told) a "clipped" English accent and a British passport. :o

I think pretty much the main point of contention is this........

If your on a Non Imm Type O 90 day or one year or retirement etc.

No problems at all very easy. I just opened 2

One at Bangkok & one at SCM

• 9 months later...
Do you know any 'farang friendly' kasikorn* branch in Pinklao area in bangkok where to open an account with passport only?

*or others

Many thanks

Max

No problem thanks, i did by myself. Found a friendly sub-branch in bang phlat did to me yesterday with only passport with tourist visa and the assistance of my local gf :)

• 4 weeks later...

Just thought I'd jump in here and add I just opened an account today with the Kasikorn branch in Robinsons at Ratchadapisek.

Woman didn't speak much English, but we got it all sorted.

First they offered the new 600baht card with the insurance, but I said I didn't want that and they gave me the other one for 300baht instead (with 200baht a year renewal fee) and an opening deposit of 500 baht.

All I had was my Passport and a business card of the condo block I'm staying in :)