Thai Mythology

McAttack

I'm quite interested in mythology. It represents quite a bit about different cultures.

England has its dragons and dragon slayers.

Australian Aboriginals have their Dreamtime

Greeks have their Tragedies... and so on... there are so much more that I don't know of

Some can be seen to be based on fact while others seem to be stories made up to explain why thing are the way they are. (I'm not judging any culture's myths)

Does Thailand have a mythological period? Stories that reflect Thailands history?

I've seen some mention of Nok Hasadee (Elephant with a birds body) that eats red meat only. Sua Peek (Tiger and Peacock).

Are there stories that relate to these mythological animals that someone can point me to?

Theres bundles of it, most from the Hindu/Buddhist cosmology, some from more traditional sources.

Theres to be a nice small book for about 70B on Thai Folk Tales by Manich L Jumsai which you can get from Asia Books which has some of the famous tales like 'Pra Lor' 'Nang Khai, 'Nang Nak' and 'Khun Phan, Khun Chang' as well as outlines of the classic Thai Nirat Poems 'Imao' and 'Pra Aphaimani' by Sunthorn Phu.

Edited by ProfessorFart