Penang Trip

I gonna make a Visa trip to Penang on 22.April.

Following questions I have:

1)How many days does it take for the embassy to give the visa from the day of submission?

2)Is the Visa still free? (according to Thai governments new policy)

3)Does anyone know a cheap but good hotel with Visa service? (around 500 baht per night?)

I went for years to Penang to the 'Golden City Hotel'. That guy there always fixed my visa and he received a few bucks for it. I want to change the hotel. I saw last time when I was flying AirAsia in a magazine/brochure that there are new hotels in Penang very cheap and good. I made some pictures with my mobile but I lost the pictures somehow and can't remember what name/area it was.

Appreciate any input about people who made the Penang Visa trip.

Thanks

1. Submit in morning and returned next workday afternoon I believe is still the routine.

2. Tourist visa should be free until June 4.

3. Hotels have changed since I was last there and always spent a bit more. Believe there is still a well respected Indian run newsstand that does visas in the middle of the tourist area if hotel does not offer the service.

1. Submit in morning and returned next workday afternoon I believe is still the routine.

3. Hotels have changed since I was last there and always spent a bit more. Believe there is still a well respected Indian run newsstand that does visas in the middle of the tourist area if hotel does not offer the service.

hmm I found in maps.google.com that there is a Thai embassy AND a Thai consulate which are close together. To which should I go for faster access?

hmm I found in maps.google.com that there is a Thai embassy AND a Thai consulate which are close together. To which should I go for faster access?

There is not a Thai Embassy. Only a Consulate.

I done the Penang visa trip only 2/3 weeks ago. There are many visa agents/Guesthouses on Chulia Street. I stayed at Banana Guesthouse, you may wish to stay somewhere slightly better but I can recommend these guys for the visa process. Their fee is 20 RM (or the equivalent to 200Bt).

Edited by thecatman

Only been once and quite a while ago but just got a taxi from the airport to the consulate, taxi waited, went to hotel and taxi picked me up the next day, onto consulate and then onto airport. I know many people like to use and agent but it is not difficult if you choose not to.

Nice and safe place, free wireless Internet, 80 RM (800 baht) breakfast included, Arthur the manager is the visa agent: Google Hotel Mingood, I can't post an URL

Penang is a nice place for tourist visas, but they only give simple entry for Non-B, unless it's for a 8 million baht company.

Last time I went I got my TR visa back the same day, handed it in Tuesday morning got it back Tuesday afternoon.

The Malaysia hotel is good value for money at 110 Ringit/night.

Edited by likewise

Last time I went I got my TR visa back the same day, handed it in Tuesday morning got it back Tuesday afternoon.

Was that in consideration of extra fees? Or because of a holiday? It is not normal procedure AFAIK.

Was that in consideration of extra fees? Or because of a holiday? It is not normal procedure AFAIK.

My visa agent told me that fow awhile now they've been processing TR visas in 1 day.

How much did you pay the agent? As the visa is free I hope it was not much. Good news if valid for all.

I went in February visa wasn't free yet. I payed him the usual 30 Ringit.

Edited by likewise

I got a free tourist visa yesterday (14th April). I tried to get double entry, but they give only single entries.

Tourist visa can be collected the same day. Non-Immigration visas are ready the next day. So if you arrive, for instance, with the Air Asia morning flight, you can do everything during one day, and return to BKK in the evening. Morning flight arrives 10:05 local time, and the consulate accepts visa applications between 9-12, so it gives you plenty of time. (Still, take the photocopy of your passport and the mug photos in Thailand.) Tourist visas can be collected between 3:30-4 PM the same day. Neat.

But there is the following decree still at the wall, so let's be careful there...

From June 1st 2009

The Royal Thai Consulate-General,

Penang, shall not allow those who wear

improper attire (thong, sandals, t-shirt,

shorts, singlet etc.) to enter the consulate

ground.

9th April, 2008 (date of decree)

>My visa agent told me that fow awhile now they've been processing TR visas in 1 day.

to bad just booked my ticket before I saw that post...

>Submit in morning and returned next workday afternoon I believe is still the routine.

>2. Tourist visa should be free until June 4.

>3. Hotels have changed since I was last there and always spent a bit more. Believe there is still a well respected Indian run >newsstand that does visas in the middle of the tourist area if hotel does not offer the service.

>There is not a Thai Embassy. Only a Consulate.

hmm ur right but google tells different: go map.google.com and type: penang Thai embassy

you will see that there are 2 places -nearly opposite each other. Maybe its just in it so people

can find it easier... who knows.

>Visa agents/guest houses include:

>http://jimsplace-penang.com/

>http://www.banananewguesthouse.com/

>

>and Parvez Books in Chulia St (opposite Love Lane)

well that was a good call =) I went to their website and called them too

to make sure everything is set when I arrive. They charge 20Rignit (200baht)

for visa. Visa is free. I chose the 60ringit air with bath room. I will stay 2 nights

so I can go to the beach for awhile (if there is a beach, I just saw on google

that there is water quiet close)

And on top of that: WIRELESS INTERNET IS FREE LOL

Banana guesthouse 4tw! (hopefuly)

just arrived at Bannanaguesthouse and I can only recommend it. You can get a room for merely 18 Ringit (180 Baht) with fan or as I did a room for 60 Ringit with Air and Bathroom. other rooms you will have to share the bathroom with other guests. It is clean, cheap and the bus stopped in front of bananahouse.

One side note for supersavers: If you take the bus from Airport you will only pay 2 ringit up to the end station. I was sitting approx 45m in the bus and its not that bad. Its more a sightseeing. If you ask at the Airport for a Bus line guide, you know the whole system and save a lot. The airport staff was very friendly and explained it to me.

just arrived at Bannanaguesthouse and I can only recommend it. You can get a room for merely 18 Ringit (180 Baht) with fan or as I did a room for 60 Ringit with Air and Bathroom. other rooms you will have to share the bathroom with other guests. It is clean, cheap and the bus stopped in front of bananahouse.

One side note for supersavers: If you take the bus from Airport you will only pay 2 ringit up to the end station. I was sitting approx 45m in the bus and its not that bad. Its more a sightseeing. If you ask at the Airport for a Bus line guide, you know the whole system and save a lot. The airport staff was very friendly and explained it to me.

Let us know if you got your TR visa in one day. I did in February and gotta do another one soon so like to know if they still handle TR visa's in one day.

Thanks