Thailand Revokes Thaksin's Passport

v2drinkers

Thailand revokes Thaksin's passport

BANGKOK: -- Thailand has revoked the passport of fugitive former premier Thaksin Shinawatra for allegedly inciting protests that disrupted a major Asian summit, a government spokesman said Wednesday.

Asian leaders were forced to flee the summit in the coastal resort of Pattaya by helicopter on Saturday after pro-Thaksin demonstrators stormed the venue in an international embarrassment for the government.

"The foreign ministry has cancelled his passport," government spokesman Panitan Wattanayagorn told AFP. "The incident on the 11th is the reason."

"The decision to cancel his passport was based on passport issuing regulations, which state that the ministry can cancel or recall a passport if it can prove that a person has caused damage to the country," he said.

Thaksin was ousted in a military coup in 2006 and lives in exile to avoid a two-year jail term for a corruption conviction. He has made a series of speeches to his supporters in Thailand by videolink and phone in recent weeks.

A Thai court issued an arrest warrant for Thaksin and 12 of his key supporters on Tuesday over anti-government protests in Bangkok that left two people dead the previous day.

The demonstrators abandoned a three-week vigil outside Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva's offices on Tuesday to avoid a threatened military crackdown.

- AFP 2009-04-15

Edited by george
Added news item / mod

• Replies 633
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"The decision to cancel his passport was based on passport issuing regulations, which state that the ministry can cancel or recall a passport if it can prove that a person has caused damage to the country," he said.

Though, wouldn't it need to be decided by the courts if the person has done damage or not? Nobody is denying the events of the past days, but I would think that a court decision was needed.

Though, wouldn't it need to be decided by the courts if the person has done damage or not? Nobody is denying the events of the past days, but I would think that a court decision was needed.

Look at the wording on the inside of your own passport. If it's anything like mine, the passport belongs to the issuing government (not you) and can be revoked as that government sees fit. Nothing out of the ordinary here.

Mmmm ... the courts already ruled against him last year. He has already been convicted of another crime. So in theory, that should be enough without the need to go through the courts again.

Honestly, I don't understand those who stick up for Thaksin in any way. Heads buried in the sand.

In my passport it is written "this passport is property of my Government". As far as I can read it states clearly, this pp was given to me by my country/Government temporarily. It is not my property, and they can take back their property any time they want, without any court involved. Am I correct?

Maybe different rules apply for Thailand

Edited by webfact

Personally, I feel like it's a very late stage in the game for taking this action. No one can say for sure whether doing this months/years ago would of prevented what happened over the weekend in any way, but it's good to see Thailand finally taking the gloves off.

Thaksin has been found out, and out-manoeuvred

Before noon yesterday, key red-shirt leaders like Veera Musikapong and Nattawut Saikua, among others, realised it was time to cave in. They understood that it would be futile to continue fighting because their boss, Thaksin Shinawatra, had been finished. Yes, the plug had been pulled and the fugitive former PM was completely routed.

It will be difficult for Thaksin to seek asylum because most countries would not want to welcome him now that they have witnessed the riots and subversive tactics used by his supporters in Bangkok. Thaksin was caught telling blatant lies on CNN and BBC, feeding false information to the global audience that his red-clad supporters were fighting for democracy - when in fact they were burning Bangkok to pave the way for his return.

He was reading a script, telling the international news channels that the military had killed many of his pro-democracy protesters, when in fact there was not a single such case of death reported. The only two people who died, had done so during clashes between Bangkok residents and the protesters.

Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva was wisely exercising restraint, allowing Thaksin to make blunders.

Thaksin, who bet all his political fortune on April 13, has failed miserably. He had his red shirts set fires around Bangkok just as Neptune overshadowed the Sun - a bad omen.

He thought he had big military and police bosses on his side, as well as some politicians on the government wing. He remembered to move his family out of Thailand a few days before the Songkran inferno. Khunying Pojaman is currently shopping in Dubai, still with plenty of money in her pocket.

Thaksin thought he could hold Thailand hostage as he bargained for his return, his amnesty and his Bt76 billion in assets. He thought he was entitled to a royal pardon because he had Thailand in the palm of his hand.

But his strategy backfired. Thaksin failed to get critical mass support. On the contrary, Bangkok residents rose against his red-shirt supporters, who were burning Bangkok while he - just as Nero fiddled while Rome was burning - was singing on his karaoke machine. The subversive tactics being used by the red shirts appalled the global audience.

This was a critical factor. If most Thais were to rise against the red-shirt movement, then Thaksin could only go under. Thaksin thought that the burning of Bangkok would force the country into lawlessness and the military would step in to intervene in his favour.

The plan did not work.

The whole world realised that Thaksin had duped it all along, and many Thais were disgusted by his ability to destroy the nation in exchange for his return to power.

Bangkok was ravaged all Songkran Day, before the security forces brought the situation under control. By then Thaksin must have realised that the game was up.

Now all the red-shirt leaders will be going to jail under treason charges. If you plant gas tanks and threaten to set them ablaze, you are committing an act of terrorism and subversion against the state. It is not too difficult to trace who ordered the trucks to be brought onto the streets.

Now Abhisit has emerged as a strong leader. He has almost transformed overnight from a lame-duck PM who was forced to cancel the Asean Summit in Pattaya into a leader who can defuse a political crisis in a subtle and artful way. There were no deaths during the authorities' crackdown against the red shirts. Only two persons were pronounced dead, both as a result of shooting by the red shirts.

Abhisit has prevailed despite the military, the police, the security people and his own political partners plotting against him.

Though we have no evidence to substantiate doubts that these top people are linked to Thaksin, we did not see Army chief General Anupong Paochinda or police boss Patcharawat Wongsuwan show up while the red shirts were ambushing the Asean Summit. The security forces were not doing their duty, standing by idly as the protesters wreaked havoc in Pattaya.

So far none of Thailand's top security people have come out to admit that they failed to provide security for regional leaders and Thailand's guests.

Abhisit is known to have sought advice from a special unit, set up in haste under his command. As Thaksin played his cards one by one, the advisers countered each hand effectively until Thaksin lost his bet.

At this hour, with the power of the emergency decree in his hand, it is Abhisit - not the Army chief - who is the most powerful person in Thailand. He must use this occasion wisely by controlling the red shirts and dealing with the failure of the security apparatus, which has been undermining national interest and the government's stability.

We expect to see a reshuffle of top security and peacekeeping personnel soon.

However, if Abhisit resorts to his image of a timid Oxford graduate, he would be missing out on an opportunity to take the country forward. Now is the time for him to stand tall and be the prime minister of Thailand.

Source: The Nation - 15 April 2009

Thepthai: Dubai accepted negotiation on Thaksin’s extradition pact

Personal Spokesperson of Democrat Party Leader Thepthai Senpong divulged that negotiations between Thailand and the United Arab Emirates (UAE) about Mr. Thaksin’s extradition was now being made.

Mr. Thepthai revealed that Thailand and UAE had already started the negotiations on Mr. Thaksin’s extradition. He said Dubai agreed to coordinate with Thailand in dealing with the former Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra after the Ministry of Foreign Affairs had filed documents to the Embassies to explain Mr. Thaksin’s behavior and the allegations against him.

Moreover, he said the Ministry of Foreign Affairs also sought coordination from the International Police or Interpol to bring Mr. Thaksin back to Thailand to stand trial in the Thai juridical procedures.

Source: National News Bureau of Thailand - 15 April 2009

Personal Spokesperson of Democrat Party Leader Thepthai Senpong divulged that negotiations between Thailand and the United Arab Emirates (UAE) about Mr. Thaksin’s extradition was now being made.

Mr. Thepthai revealed that Thailand and UAE had already started the negotiations on Mr. Thaksin’s extradition. He said Dubai agreed to coordinate with Thailand in dealing with the former Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra after the Ministry of Foreign Affairs had filed documents to the Embassies to explain Mr. Thaksin’s behavior and the allegations against him.

Moreover, he said the Ministry of Foreign Affairs also sought coordination from the International Police or Interpol to bring Mr. Thaksin back to Thailand to stand trial in the Thai juridical procedures.

So, Thaksin is now officially Persona non grata........."an unwelcome person,".........fitting given that he was the main person behind the destructive visa rule changes over the past 9 years.

But the posters pointing out that he has multiple passports is no doubt right. I would not shed too many tears for him. His assets are hidden all over. I doubt that he will ever set foot in Thailand again.

But who knows, he obviously still have powerful friends here........and they are afraid that their piece of Thailand's wealth pie is getting too small.

Who knows what will happen next. I just wish Thailand's power elite would stop hurting the people and image of Thailand.

Yesterday or before yesterday a Muslim community wrote a letter to the King of UAE, asking for help as the red shirts damaged their mosque. Maybe that also helps a little bit.

This is the best news I've heard in a long time. Doomed to roam the world on a Nicaraguan passport!! WELL DONE ABHISIT!! :D:D:D:wai:

But it would be a big mistake to extradite him back to Thailand. Even if he did spend time in (a luxury) jail, he would soon be free to wreak havoc and spiteful vengeance and tear this country apart on his release. :P:o

Would be better to ban him forever. :D

Edited by jamesjdaly

In my passport it is written "this passport is property of my Government". As far as I can read it states clearly, this pp was given to me by my country/Government temporarily. It is not my property, and they can take back their property any time they want, without any court involved. Am I correct?

Maybe different rules apply for Thailand

Yes you are correct.

Last month the Government tried to find a legal interpretation in order to revoke Thaksin's passport, to the extent that the Government asked the Council of State to find a legal basis for the action. The Council refused to look into the matter as they said that the revoking of an individual's passport was a "Political Issue", not a legal issue.

To that extent, this should be seen as probably a bad move, as almost certainly Thaksin has other passports, so will effectively cause little problems for him, but it does set a very bad precident, as it means that should any Government in the future, decide to take action against individuals who cause them problems, the revoking of a passport may become a standard practice.

It also means that the revoking of Thaksin's Passport is labelled as "Political" rather than "Legal".

I would guess that the government's decision can be appealed at a court of law. So it will probably take some time until his passport is finally revoked.

This is the best news I've heard in a long time. Doomed to roam the world on a Nicaraguan passport!! WELL DONE ABHISIT!! :D:D:D:wai:

But it would be a big mistake to extradite him back to Thailand. Even if he did spend time in (a luxury) jail, he would soon be free to wreak havoc and spiteful vengeance and tear this country apart on his release. :P:o

Would be better to ban him forever. :D

Not if he was found guilty of treason he would not be free for a long time if still alive

Jai Dee

Thanks for that article, I enjoyed it.

I can only say that imho, Abhisit has played a complete masterstroke. I wonder if he was on the Oxford University Chess Team? Some things just don't add up as to why a group of very intelligent people allowed the ASEAN conference to run in the format that it did. We on this site could all see the potential problems, Abhisit must have seen them. I wouldn't be surprised if behind closed doors the first statement by him to the other ASEAN leaders was along the lines of 'guys we are expecting alot of trouble this week, we may have to postpone, I know its a ballsache but we will all be better off in the end'.

As much as the ASEAN leaders may have thought 'how weak' when the Thai government 'allowed' the protestors through to the conference, the message was quite clear, the Thais would avoid using force at all costs unless the situation was really bad. When force was used it became completely acceptab le and understood. Thaksins news interview disassters were scripted around the 'terrible continuing military oppression' of the Thai people, he had been desperate to engineer a confrontation in order that the Army stepped in, but it has backfired more than he (Thaksin) could ever have calculated. Thaksin has orchestrated his own very public downfall. Abhisit gave Thaksin enough rope to hang himself and he did just that. There is a post on here somewhere from a forum member saying that people in his very staunch redshirt town are now no longer wearing their redshirts or will even engage in discussion about Thaksin or what happened in Bangkok.

Abhisit I think you are a closet genius I tell you, Genius.

edited to add

jamesjdaly

Don't worry, what Offset said! I think if they get him back in this country they might just lose the keys. Inciting revolution could only be seen as the worst case of treason, Thaksin might be lucky to escape with his life if found guilty, and if he does I think he will be locked away and disappear into obscurity.

Edited by Tigs

This is still Thailand and no matter what you are found guilty of, he still has enough cash to buy anything he wants; including his freedom. We should never forget that.

WRONG! Thaksin is not a very rich guy compared to other business people here in Thailand.

Now the entire world will watch that legal procedure arround Thaksin and an "elephant can't be covered with a lotus leaf" !

/edit typing error

Edited by LivinginKata

What is the penalty for Treason - if found guilty?

as you likely know, most of Thai law is based on English law and treason was a capital offence

although hanging was abolished in 1965, treason remained on the statute as a hanging offence

i suspect it still may be, but i am not 100% sure

certainly its not been used as a punishment for treason for many years

i would guess its still on the thai statute.

Just asked my Thai lawyer, who is an expert on such matters, whether there's an appeal process to reinstate his Thai passport. Answer was:

- The passport is revoked with immediate effect. There is an appeal process but Taxsin (given: convicted already, further seriious charges in process, inciting violence, etc) would have no chance whatever of winning an appeal.

Lawyer mentioned that he's heard Taxsin has gained two more passports, both from very minor corruption riden countries, and to use either of these passports he would very likely need to apply for and receive a visa in advance for the destination country, before he could depart.

Lawyer also mentioned he's heard some gossip that coming very soon there will be announcements about the passports of the rest of the family.

Update:

Thaksin's passport revoked

The Foreign Ministry has terminated an ordinary passport held by former Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra since his traveling right might hurt the country, spokesman Tharit Charungvat said Wednesday.

Thaksin's revoked passport is his last Thai traveling document after his diplomatic passport was terminated in the middle of December when the government under Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva took office.

His ordinary passport was revoked April 12 after he used video link a abroad to provoke a group of red shirted protesters to disrupt the Asean summit last Saturday.

The foreign ministry has authority to recall any passports which the traveling holders could exploit it to facilitate their movement to hurt the country, Tharit said.

However, the termination of his passport did not affect Thaksin's Thai citizenship, he added.

Thaksin could no longer travel with Thai passport but he can ask for temporary traveling document from any Thai embassy or consult office in abroad if he wanted to return to Thailand, Tharit said.

-- The Nation 2009-04-15

This is still Thailand and no matter what you are found guilty of, he still has enough cash to buy anything he wants; including his freedom. We should never forget that.

James

Sadly you are correct, but I think that this is so high profile, with implications of Treason etc that Thaksin may just have lost any friends in power that he had. He will never get back in now, so he is of no use to anyone, and I think people would be scared of touching him with a barge pole let alone any association with him. 99.9% of the time your philosophy is correct, but I think on this occasion Thaksin has blown his chance of protection though. Just my two cents worth.