Thailand Revokes Thaksin's Passport

v2drinkers

This should have been done a long time ago and it's too bad they waited this long, which has allowed him to do the damage he has. He's already a man on the run virtually living on an airplane, hopping from country to country in a full-time private chartered jet. This according to the new Thai language book "Where are you Thaksin," the writer of which bopped around with him over a few days.

But he does have honorary citizenship in the Bahamas. Plenty of sand there to bury his head in, should anyone want to behead him and bury it that is.

• Replies 633
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone can legally buy a passport in most countries. In the UK all you need to do is invest 1 Million GBP.

This wont stop Taksin as he probably anticipated this move before the riots.

Lets face it if there was a fair and democratic election in Thailand today, he or his party would still win!

I fear he will be back someday, and there will be revenge..........

Easy to say and oft repeated, but I'm not so sure its true anymore.

Edited by lannarebirth

Thailand revokes Thaksin's passport

"BANGKOK: -- Thailand has revoked the passport of fugitive former premier Thaksin Shinawatra for allegedly inciting protests that disrupted a major Asian summit, a government spokesman said Wednesday."

:o Hi everybody,

I am just glad about this, I do hope all the Thai people, especially the red shirt ones will now see what is behind their favorite Thaksin...

And I think Mr Abhisit had really reacted in just the right way and in the right time.

I hope also that Mr Thaksin has now something to think about - he cannot force his destiny, he had his chance some years earlier, however, he was to greedy and egocentric.

I wish all Thai people HAPPY SONGKRAN :wai::P:D and that they should live united and in peace....... :D:D:D

everin

Apisit should be executed with the military who killed people.

There are no reason at all to use real gun, real tanks and real bullets shot over to innocent people and children. Where is the human rights and have all medias lying to make them look good and made some bad stories to Red shirts which they are tons of people.

Is this a communists country, Reds have no right to protest the government and all Reds's sources of medias, they are to shut down.

They put the dead bodies into the truck and destroyed the evidences!! professional killers!!!!

Why don't do this to the South of Thailand.... may be no ability to overcome that!!!

The use of guns and bullets was delayed way to long given the amount of violence used by the members of the red shirts. They should be very greatfull they were in Thailand and not some other countries, if they tried the sort of tactics used over the past week. In countries like USA or England they would have found a police force capable of stopping a riot, not sympathizers sitting around collecting payments. If they tried the riot thing in Lao, Burma, Singapore, Malaysia they would have simply been shot in mass.

The reds had plenty of opportunity to protest, rioting is not protest it is anarchy. Learn a little about democracy and respecting the rights of other people to have a differing point of view.

As to the mythical dead bodies you have watched to many videos of Burma. They are not a communist country, they are friends of your saivour Thaksin, with similar ideas as to how to run a country.

You like Thaksin's aproach to the "Souther Problem" and the drug wars? Be careful what you wish for it may come true.

There are no reason at all to use real gun, real tanks and real bullets shot over to innocent people and children. Where is the human rights and have all medias lying to make them look good and made some bad stories to Red shirts which they are tons of people.

Is this a communists country, Reds have no right to protest the government and all Reds's sources of medias, they are to shut down.

They put the dead bodies into the truck and destroyed the evidences!! professional killers!!!!

Why don't do this to the South of Thailand.... may be no ability to overcome that!!!

:o

Oh. I have just noticed that your avatar is wearing an Italian fascist jacket. That explains everything !!!!

Edited by rogera

Wasn't he allegedly seen at the Cambodian PM's residence? Something about that was in the news.

I wonder if Abhisit would invade Cambodia just to get Thaksin.

Jeez, what a guess... makes me speechless. How long have you been around here in Thailand?

/edit spelling

Thaksin is in Dubai. AJE had a face to face interview in a Dubai hotel the day after the crackdown. One that havent been talked too much about on this forum because Thaksin came across balanced and focused in that one.

Indeed, he comes across as someone who has been humbled, and is looking for forgiveness for what he has inflicted.

Make up your own minds.

Yesterday or before yesterday a Muslim community wrote a letter to the King of UAE, asking for help as the red shirts damaged their mosque. Maybe that also helps a little bit.

There is no such person as the King of UAE, or of Dubai - The Ruler of Dubai is His Highness Sheikh Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum, who is also the vice-president and prime minister of United Arab Emirates (UAE), a federation of seven Gulf emirates.

sorry you are wrong.. the king of UAE means the Ruler of Abu dhabi .. Not Dubai.. Dubai is not the capital of UAE. ABU DHABI is the Main city and world most Richest city in the world.

That's it. Here we go. I don't think I have to add anything else. The thing is that many Thais believe in revolution and hope in democracy and not in Thaksin...no need to tell, what is happening behind, well-informed people (especially Thais) know it.

is this thread has become stupid speak!!!!!!

Oh, sorry. give me a source, where it is said that this government is elected democratically (okay, half-democratically because the Thai constitution has been modified).

No big deal for him. When you have billions and spotting an asian person in Panama would not be too hard.

In Panama the populace mostly is mixed AmerIndian and European. The native American populations are in fact of Asian origin. Some could pass as Thai. Nicaragua would likely welcome Thaksin given Daniel Ortega's politics. Venezeula is another strong candidate.

Thaksin has been found out, and out-manoeuvred

Before noon yesterday, key red-shirt leaders like Veera Musikapong and Nattawut Saikua, among others, realised it was time to cave in. They understood that it would be futile to continue fighting because their boss, Thaksin Shinawatra, had been finished. Yes, the plug had been pulled and the fugitive former PM was completely routed.

Source: The Nation - 15 April 2009

The Nation?

I wouldn't be bothered to read this cr*p newspaper. It's a yellow shirts newspaper.

All this double standards applied on the red shirts and yellow shirts show a lot about what needs to be done in Thailand!

Jai Dee

Abhisit I think you are a closet genius I tell you, Genius.

I agree with you. I was very surprised to see the way he dealt with the chaos provoking protesters. The international community should learn a lot from him. He is a genius right now! Completely Agree!

Just wanted to chime in on this as well, he handled the whole thing exceptionally well for an unproven guy - could we finally have a prime minister here that could actually run the country well? To early to tell I guess...

Was horrible watching his car being attacked, but I guess that is squarely the fault of his security detail, or lack of it...

Tom.

That "attack" on the car was nothing less than an ATTEMPTED MURDER!

Edited by webfact

Thepthai: Dubai accepted negotiation on Thaksin's extradition pact

Personal Spokesperson of Democrat Party Leader Thepthai Senpong divulged that negotiations between Thailand and the United Arab Emirates (UAE) about Mr. Thaksin's extradition was now being made.

Mr. Thepthai revealed that Thailand and UAE had already started the negotiations on Mr. Thaksin's extradition. He said Dubai agreed to coordinate with Thailand in dealing with the former Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra after the Ministry of Foreign Affairs had filed documents to the Embassies to explain Mr. Thaksin's behavior and the allegations against him.

Moreover, he said the Ministry of Foreign Affairs also sought coordination from the International Police or Interpol to bring Mr. Thaksin back to Thailand to stand trial in the Thai juridical procedures.

Source: National News Bureau of Thailand - 15 April 2009

When will you people realise Taksin has the majority support in the country, Why was the yellow shirts not arrested for crimes against the state over the airport siege, and government building siege, its all about money and power and corruption. Reds want democracy, Why not have a total amnesty and new elections, and all abide by the results,,, happy Songkran,,, mine was full of alcohol

Soon or later, the truth will opened up for the whole world. This government is lying, tons of eyes withnesses, people got killed with the real bullets.

This killer will be the one who get the warrant. This government is a professional lies and making up stories from good guy turn to a bad guy..

Tons of evidences on the internet showing.... how long can still be lying??? At least they know what they done.. GOD is watching!!!!

I think you are like Thaksin, quite a few satang short of the baht - in other words, insane. Thaksin's lust for revenge and power has made him quite unbalanced and he is now just a meglomaniac with lots of money. There is an old saying in English as follows: "There are none so blind as those who will not see". This seems to fit the bill as far as you are concerned.

It seems everyone is missing the point. Thaksin cares not about the passport or Thailand. He wants to reclaim 2 things

1. the face he lost when they threw him out

2. the Billions the goverment has of his

He sold the football team to the Arabs I am sure withe the condition he could stay there.

THINK ABOUT THIS COMPARISON.............. This guy (lets say Taksin) has a girlfriend (lets say Thailand) who has given him all the liberties in the world and all the opportunity to amass wealth, AND NOW.......... she then shuns him.......... HIS RESPONSE: He makes plans to kill her and his thinking is - If I can't have her then nobody will have her.......... DRAW THE COMPARISON to what Taksin and the Redshirts are doing to Thailand.................... And then "Hang the Rat" for the "attempted murder"...........

And now what. If worst comes to worst, he will flee to Uganda or Burundi and be able to live quite comfortably in the presidential palace there with his billions.

this was mentioned a couple times here. Thaksin doesn't have billions. he at one time before last year had as much as 2 billion US, but 68 billion baht was seized (that's nearly 2 billion US).

when he had to sell Manchester City the BBC said he had less than 300 million US in assets. that may be a lot to you and me, but its poverty when u were a billionaire and u no longer have a legitimate way of making money. his debts im sure go way beyond his assets.

as far as Abhisit, i wasn't sure if i liked him, since he gained power thru civil unrest (and closing BKK). but i think he handled this week great and i'm thinking he gained the loyalty of a lot more people.

of course he looks like a fool to the rest of the world, but thats just Thailand lol

Thaksin has been found out, and out-manoeuvred

Before noon yesterday, key red-shirt leaders like Veera Musikapong and Nattawut Saikua, among others, realised it was time to cave in. They understood that it would be futile to continue fighting because their boss, Thaksin Shinawatra, had been finished. Yes, the plug had been pulled and the fugitive former PM was completely routed.

Source: The Nation - 15 April 2009

The Nation?

I wouldn't be bothered to read this cr*p newspaper. It's a yellow shirts newspaper.

All this double standards applied on the red shirts and yellow shirts show a lot about what needs to be done in Thailand!

Agree with you there.... what happened to red TV,, the plug was pulled,,, and who did it

Indeed, he comes across as someone who has been humbled, and is looking for forgiveness for what he has inflicted.

Make up your own minds.

I remember he was looking for forgiveness at the courts judging his 'honest mistake' in hiding shares in the name of his domestic helpers.

I also remember he was looking for forgiveness when announcing on Live TV that he is stepping down from politics...after returning from a meeting in HuaHin in Apr 2006.

In both instances, tears filled his eyes. And you now still believe him?

What a short sighted move it would be to bring Taksin back. If the government were to bring him back and try to prosecute him you would just incite the redshirts, after all they are the majority. They are just not as organised with their funding (pay rates to protesters) as the PAD. All the bad madia about the UDD, basically the didn't do anything that PAD hadn't already but now they aren't in power so won't get away with it.

If you bring him back you are guaranteed a revolution, better of to have an election and give the power to the people.

I totally agreed, do the rights thing to save more lives.

That's it. Here we go. I don't think I have to add anything else. The thing is that many Thais believe in revolution and hope in democracy and not in Thaksin...no need to tell, what is happening behind, well-informed people (especially Thais) know it.

Yes you have certainly become stupid speak, maybe you should change your board name

When will you people realise Taksin has the majority support in the country

When it becomes reality, I hope. I don't think we are too thick, we'll notice.

But, besides that, he's got some little legal problems that might end him on the gallows, that woud, kind of, disqualify him from running for any office.

Thepthai: Dubai accepted negotiation on Thaksin's extradition pact

Personal Spokesperson of Democrat Party Leader Thepthai Senpong divulged that negotiations between Thailand and the United Arab Emirates (UAE) about Mr. Thaksin's extradition was now being made.

Mr. Thepthai revealed that Thailand and UAE had already started the negotiations on Mr. Thaksin's extradition. He said Dubai agreed to coordinate with Thailand in dealing with the former Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra after the Ministry of Foreign Affairs had filed documents to the Embassies to explain Mr. Thaksin's behavior and the allegations against him.

Moreover, he said the Ministry of Foreign Affairs also sought coordination from the International Police or Interpol to bring Mr. Thaksin back to Thailand to stand trial in the Thai juridical procedures.

Source: National News Bureau of Thailand - 15 April 2009

When will you people realise Taksin has the majority support in the country, Why was the yellow shirts not arrested for crimes against the state over the airport siege, and government building siege, its all about money and power and corruption. Reds want democracy, Why not have a total amnesty and new elections, and all abide by the results,,, happy Songkran,,, mine was full of alcohol

Agree totally, lets keep it all fair.

Jai Dee

Thanks for that article, I enjoyed it.

I can only say that imho, Abhisit has played a complete masterstroke. I wonder if he was on the Oxford University Chess Team? Some things just don't add up as to why a group of very intelligent people allowed the ASEAN conference to run in the format that it did. We on this site could all see the potential problems, Abhisit must have seen them. I wouldn't be surprised if behind closed doors the first statement by him to the other ASEAN leaders was along the lines of 'guys we are expecting alot of trouble this week, we may have to postpone, I know its a ballsache but we will all be better off in the end'.

As much as the ASEAN leaders may have thought 'how weak' when the Thai government 'allowed' the protestors through to the conference, the message was quite clear, the Thais would avoid using force at all costs unless the situation was really bad. When force was used it became completely acceptab le and understood. Thaksins news interview disassters were scripted around the 'terrible continuing military oppression' of the Thai people, he had been desperate to engineer a confrontation in order that the Army stepped in, but it has backfired more than he (Thaksin) could ever have calculated. Thaksin has orchestrated his own very public downfall. Abhisit gave Thaksin enough rope to hang himself and he did just that. There is a post on here somewhere from a forum member saying that people in his very staunch redshirt town are now no longer wearing their redshirts or will even engage in discussion about Thaksin or what happened in Bangkok.

Abhisit I think you are a closet genius I tell you, Genius.

edited to add

jamesjdaly

Don't worry, what Offset said! I think if they get him back in this country they might just lose the keys. Inciting revolution could only be seen as the worst case of treason, Thaksin might be lucky to escape with his life if found guilty, and if he does I think he will be locked away and disappear into obscurity.

This is a brilliant analysis!! If Abhisit really planned his moves like that he is a true genius indeed!

Still, I believe that Anupong and the Pattaya police chief duped the government by not taking the action they should have taken. The royal cliff is relatively easy to defend as it has only one access road. Anupong was not involved in the actions taken in Bangkok, a good hint that there went something wrong.

Thaksin doesn't have billions. he at one time before last year had as much as 2 billion US, but 68 billion baht was seized (that's nearly 2 billion US).

when he had to sell Manchester City the BBC said he had less than 300 million US in assets. that may be a lot to you and me, but its poverty when u were a billionaire and u no longer have a legitimate way of making money. his debts im sure go way beyond his assets.

Though it's all uncofirmed rumors (or undenied, if you wish), but lots of his money were "frozen" in European banks, and the money from Man City sale went into Dubai oil, and we all know what happened to the oil prices last year. He also invested in some condo projects there that went bust.

"The decision to cancel his passport was based on passport issuing regulations, which state that the ministry can cancel or recall a passport if it can prove that a person has caused damage to the country," he said.

Though, wouldn't it need to be decided by the courts if the person has done damage or not? Nobody is denying the events of the past days, but I would think that a court decision was needed.

In my passport it is written "this passport is property of my Government". As far as I can read it states clearly, this pp was given to me by my country/Government temporarily. It is not my property, and they can take back their property any time they want, without any court involved. Am I correct?

Maybe different rules apply for Thailand

Yes you are correct.

Last month the Government tried to find a legal interpretation in order to revoke Thaksin's passport, to the extent that the Government asked the Council of State to find a legal basis for the action. The Council refused to look into the matter as they said that the revoking of an individual's passport was a "Political Issue", not a legal issue.

To that extent, this should be seen as probably a bad move, as almost certainly Thaksin has other passports, so will effectively cause little problems for him, but it does set a very bad precident, as it means that should any Government in the future, decide to take action against individuals who cause them problems, the revoking of a passport may become a standard practice.

It also means that the revoking of Thaksin's Passport is labelled as "Political" rather than "Legal".

You do recall that Thaksin was convicted of a crime and sentenced to 2 years in prison, right?

In most countries where rule-of-law affects, a judge would have revoked or requested surrender of travel documents (eg Passports) to prevent the accused from skipping the country. Thaksin still had friends in power when he was under trial. Whether a political or legal reason it is prudent, and should have been done a long time ago.

Oh, sorry. give me a source, where it is said that this government is elected democratically (okay, half-democratically because the Thai constitution has been modified).

www.google.com - search for 'parliamentary proceedings Thailand' and continue from there.

Who knows, you might learn a thing or two.

(Quote)

I think that you are quite mistaken on this assertion. At the last election in which the Democrats participated (with Abhisit as leader), there was only a difference 100,000 or so in the total votes nationwide between the PPP and the Democrats in all the constituencies in which they competed directly against each other. This compares to Thaksin's majority of 16 million votes(compared to the nine or so million for the Democrats and when Banyat was the leader of the Democrats) that he got when he first got elected, the difference overall in the total vote in 2005 was a mere 1.5 million. Thaksin's share of the total vote dropped to some 13 million, while the Democrats share rose to around 11.5 million. Admittedly the total vote dropped as a lot of people failed to vote.

Given the chaos and violence of the redshirts over the last few days, many Thais have swung to the Democrats side, particularly following the successful conclusion of the rebellion. Thais are fed up with the current squabbles. They want peace and quiet so that they can get on with their lives as best they can. Newin also controls a large portion of the NE and he will deliver these votes to his new Bhumijai party and, with the Democrats, will then probably form the next government.

Edited by rogera

I am no supporter of Thaksin or anyone else - as far as I can see ALL politicians are corrupt in one way or another - as indeed are most people on different levels. Depends on the definition of corruption - in my view pretty much the whole of the free economy is corrupt in that the basis for exchanging good is largley "profit and greed" rather than "survival and need"

I have no knowledge of whether ex-pm Thaksin was doing better things for the poor outside of Bangkok but what I am sure of is that he was "perceived" as person who took money away from Bangkok to distribute to poorer areas. I remain convinced that it was this and not his illegal activities that caused the popular protests that led to the coup. An independent examination of all politicians would probably leave most of them unsuitable to govern.

The current government, any government, could remove any effect Thaksin has on the situaton by really beginning to organise fairer distribution of Thailands wealth. That can only be achieved by higher taxation on wealthier people (including I suspect many ex-pats) to build the schools, hospitals, communications, and better housing needed in the poorest parts of Thailand.

This would of course no doubt greatly upset the yellow shirts as they quite clearly fear the notion of real democracy - where the poor uneducated farmer's vote has the same power as that of a millionaire. Why is that I wonder? could it be that the rich realise they are part of a very small and very selfish minority?

shouldnt we execute Mr Thaksin too when he order to use REAL GUN to kill drug dealer and innnocent bystander?? Where is the human right then...