Burmese Crossing Borders From Maesai

jetzie

hi guys,

i have a Shan wife, living on the tachilek side, i wish for her to cross over to maesai which is simple.

my concerns is what are her travel limitations? i heard that she can only stay within maesai, but i also heard that she could pay a visit to the immigration office in maesai and get a pass to travel to chiangrai?

does anyone have any knowledge on this?

sorry i dont know which section to post this so here i am.

Although i'm not really know much on this but i've checked out at Maesai immigration website (only Thai lang).

She can aply Transit-TS visa which give her 30 days stay and travel through out the kingdom.

Or a tourist visa (Tourist-TR) for 60 days.

Not sure on what your purpose is but the safe way is to ask at immigration office they will provide you better information.

I had a Lao girlfriend once and she could get two types of visas, one that was only good for a few days and restricted travel in the Kingdom... really only good for shopping in Udon, and another standard visa that was good for a much longer period anywhere in Thailand.

Sorry I can't be more specific but it was quite a while ago.

Although i'm not really know much on this but i've checked out at Maesai immigration website (only Thai lang).

She can aply Transit-TS visa which give her 30 days stay and travel through out the kingdom.

Or a tourist visa (Tourist-TR) for 60 days.

Not sure on what your purpose is but the safe way is to ask at immigration office they will provide you better information.

I had a Lao girlfriend once and she could get two types of visas, one that was only good for a few days and restricted travel in the Kingdom... really only good for shopping in Udon, and another standard visa that was good for a much longer period anywhere in Thailand.

Sorry I can't be more specific but it was quite a while ago.

thanks for all your reply, well my perpose was to bring her to visit chiangrai or chiangmai if possible as if she wants to do that she needs to go to yangon and than fly into chiangmai, which is a total hassle.

just 1 more question, can we pop into the immigration office and apply, would we be able to get it on the same day?

if not, how long is the processing time?

i tried calling to ask but the immigration only speaks thai and my thai is not very good.

This link have all the info on it. For how long the process take i guess if you have all the documents with you it can take 1 day but i'm not sure on this.

Seeing your gf situation is not that complicated. Dont be late though, if you want her visa on time you should take documents to the immigration office as soon as possible.

http://www.mfa.go.th/web/2482.php?id=2489

Hmmm, well as some of you might already know, Burmese over in the tachilek, when they cross over, they need not have to have thier passports, they just bring along thier pink laminated ID, and they would get a greenish cardboard "passport" pass .

with that they are entitled to travel into maesai for 7 days with limited destinations. maybe just in maesai town, and not anywhere further.

I heard from a taxi driver that applying in the immigrations office in maesai would be possible for her to apply to travel further.

i dont think it's what the link Konjianghai has just posted.

anyone?

Oh i didnt know (sorry) so she have this pink card which is for Stateless people of Myanmar of Tai ethnic. Okay, her limitation is within the Mae Sai district or Chiang Rai province. Since you said she can not travel out of Mae Sai only seems very strange to me, at least she can travel as long as she stay in CR would i think. Normally people with special coloured ID card can not travel out of the province.

I've read some comments on internet, alot of Shan people have acces out of the territory when aply for permission.

I dont think its going to be hard or take a long time like obtain Thai nationality.

Any way best of luck!

Yeah my link was more of the normal Visa procedure which is totally different case then your situation :o

Edited by konjianghai

she could not get a visa from the immigration office, as visa by definition are only issued by embassies and consulates abroad.

she could probably cross the border to maesai with just a copy of her id card, but afaik she would not be allowed to travel south.

if she tried to travel south with public transportation (bus or pick-up-taxi) there is, i'd estimate, a 80% chance each, that she will be controlled and pulled from the bus at the police stops south of maesai and maechan, but if you take her with your motorbike or (rental)car, the chance that you will be stopped drops to maybe 1%. to be totally safe you could circumvent the police stops by taking a track around them.

depending on how long she is allowed to stay in thailand by crossing the border legally, you might also consider having her cross the river away from the official crossing, i have been told it costs 100-200baht, and go back the same way.

or off course you have her go to yangoon, get a passport, a visa and let her fly in.

please don't do anything stupid ! do not mess with immigration in Thailand ,get your girfriend a day pass -20 bath-and go to Maesai immigration ,they will tell her what to do ,and she will understand their language ,a lot of Thai yai in Maesai ,if you play with the rule she will be deported and the police will have her ID ,everyday i see people (burmese) being deported ,the cells of the police station are full of people trying to escape Myanmar ,don't try to board a bus or even try the motorbyke ,if she is caught in Thailand i.e.Chang rai or Chiang mai she will go to jail (not for one day) ,farangs complain about visa rule ,burmese can't.

Dear all,

I have a friend (Thai Yai and born in Burma) also staying in Maesai for more than 10 years having a green IC. I understand from him that he is unable to travel to other parts of Thailand except Maesai. His English is not that good and I sometime have difficulty in understanding what he tried to tell me. Anyway, can anyone of you please enlighten me why he is issued with a green IC and what are he supposed to do/apply in respect of his prospect of going south to work. I was told by him that he cannot apply for Passport.

If your friend has a green IC he is almost certainly Tai Leu, not Tai Yai.

A minor point you may think, but it matters at Thai immigration.

He can only leave Maesai when someone signs for him at the amhpur. He needs to bring 3000 baht for a ten day permit.

Work can only be done if has a work permit (lots of those people forget to extend their permits or worse never got one because they consider it too expensive). With such a card and a work permit he can apply for a job somewhere else.

But than he needs to become a registered citizen in another province/amphur/tambon. Be careful in the South, lots of those people end up worse off than they were.

To obtain the first permit he needs a sponsor who signs up at the amphur, together with him.

I emailed a friend last night who spent years working with the Shan people and he sent me two lengthy replies on this subject, if you wish to read them in their entirety send me a PM and I will forward them to you.

The reply here is the information I think is pertinent to your friends case.

He can only leave Maesai when someone signs for him at the amhpur. He needs to bring 3000 baht for a ten day permit.

Work can only be done if has a work permit (lots of those people forget to extend their permits or worse never got one because they consider it too expensive). With such a card and a work permit he can apply for a job somewhere else.

But than he needs to become a registered citizen in another province/amphur/tambon. Be careful in the South, lots of those people end up worse off than they were.

To obtain the first permit he needs a sponsor who signs up at the amphur, together with him.

I emailed a friend last night who spent years working with the Shan people and he sent me two lengthy replies on this subject, if you wish to read them in their entirety send me a PM and I will forward them to you.

Thank you very much for your valuable info. My email address is {snipped per forum rules} and once again thank you for your prompt response.

Edited by mcgriffith
email address not allowed; PM member

Hi there,

i have a few questions , hope u might be able to answer me.

1) may i know how or what r the requirements in order to get the GREEN IC? My gf is Tai-Leu too but resides in Kengtung.

2) When you mean by sponsor, can i be the sponsor or it has to be a thai?

If the plan is to go Chiang rai or Chiang Mai for a couple days, you can go to the immigration office. the one 2 km from the boarder. You may take one of your Thai friend, or the driver who will take you to Chiang Mai as a sponsor/guarantor. tell your purpose of visiting. Make sure you went early, possibly you will get the permission the same day if they are not too busy. Good luck!

If the plan is to go Chiang rai or Chiang Mai for a couple days, you can go to the immigration office. the one 2 km from the boarder. You may take one of your Thai friend, or the driver who will take you to Chiang Mai as a sponsor/guarantor. tell your purpose of visiting. Make sure you went early, possibly you will get the permission the same day if they are not too busy. Good luck!

am i able to be the sponsor? she doesnt have any thai friends over in maesai, and we're gonna take a bus through to chiangRai

There are probably several different types of green ID cards, as mentioned in this case study:

Confusion abounds, in part, because seventeen ID cards exist, each signifying different rights to work, travel, education and healthcare.

My spouse has one white on the front and pink on the back side, which states on the back, that it is not an ID, I thought <deleted>?

Afaik if she has an ID card your wife can get a travel permit at the amphur for a few days, but she needs the invitation from a thai guarantor, who resides in the area she wants to travel to usually in the form of a signed copy of his/her ID and tabien baan. Ask at her amphur office.

Xme, afaic Thaksin aka "Toxin", could kma and spend adih amap. Afaiui he probably paid his way through anyhow. Iac the current admin still has to show that it can tcob. The Thaistyle of 14AA41 is @teotd prolly unblefble ufn. I mean ugtbk!?

Afaik if she has an ID card your wife can get a travel permit at the amphur for a few days, but she needs the invitation from a thai guarantor, who resides in the area she wants to travel to usually in the form of a signed copy of his/her ID and tabien baan. Ask at her amphur office.

hi Bastian, my spouse has an ID but it is not the Thai ID, it's the pink laminated ID for shans over at burmese side.

please advise..