Dream World Rip Off

bangon04

"In the U.S., out-of-state students often pay more tuition and fees than in-state students."

That is because U.S. taxpayers pay income, property and sales taxes that among other things pay most of the costs of University and College education costs in the U.S. Since foreign students come here for an education and then should return home, they usually don't pay their fair share of the costs of their education. Many are even able to avoid the higher foreign student rate by getting a discount to the in-state rate by taking a part time job with the University such as a lab assistant in a sophomore class. About half of the electrical engineering students at University of Texas are from India. If the taxpayer only knew their students are rejected from admission and part time jobs at the University because of the Indian student clique they would probably revolt.

As a tourist, I don't mind paying extra at Thai national parks etc. for what Thais have preserved or paid for through taxes etc. but Dream World? Probably not subsidized by the Thai government.

Dream World sells happiness but happiness is probably better achieved through lowered expectations.

There is also another important part to this. Students don't pay more because they are not US citizens. They pay more because they are not citizens of that particular state. Other US citizens have to pay the higher amount, too, if they're from out of state.

I have to admit that my first experience with the two tier pricing in Thailand bothered me. But on the whole, things just don't cost that much in Thailand for someone from the west. 450 baht is like $13. While I haven't been to Dream World, I do know that similar attractions in the states are much more expensive than this. I don't think it's worth getting upset over.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

.... Despite the double pricing, Thailand's popularity as a tourism destination continues to grow. What puts a dent in that popularity are things like the airport closure or recent riots or coups...not double pricing...

Yes indeed, well said, mod8(smoking%20pipe)a.gif

Please a response.....

Windsor Castle...

U.K. Citizen 15 pounds

Thai Tourist....150 pounds

Is that OK........only fair isnt it....

This isn't a response you're going to want to hear, and I'll have to translate it to the US instead of Britain:

Fact -- other than people with a criminal record, virtually 100% of Americans would be given at least a tourist visa to Thailand.

Fact -- less than 10% of Thais would ever be given a tourist visa to the U.S.

Fact -- very, very few Thais can afford to travel to England or the U.S.

Does that answer your question...no. Is it something to think about in relation to the overall scope of the discussion...yes.

Please a response.....

Windsor Castle...

U.K. Citizen 15 pounds

This isn't a response you're going to want to hear, and I'll have to translate it to the US instead of Britain:

Fact -- other than people with a criminal record, virtually 100% of Americans would be given at least a tourist visa to Thailand.

Does that answer your question...no. Is it something to think about in relation to the overall scope of the discussion...yes.

An English student with almost 20,000 pounds debt performing volunteer work here has to pay 10 times as much as a Thai for entry to a waterfall............Is it something to think about in relation to the overall scope of the discussion...yes

.... Despite the double pricing, Thailand's popularity as a tourism destination continues to grow. What puts a dent in that popularity are things like the airport closure or recent riots or coups...not double pricing...

Yes indeed, well said, mod8(smoking%20pipe)a.gif

Thats debateable......apparently almost 900,000 Brits had holidays in Thailand last year....poppycock...these figures include the 15 day and 3 month border hoppers, so the same person is counted at least 3 times in a year....tourism worldwide is on the decline and will be for a few years yet....

Of course because the tourists only find out about the double pricing once they have arrived.

No it isn't.50 years ago europeans where also poor and not able to travel all over the world,but they didn't engage in double pricing pratice.Why not?because it has nothing to do with rich or poor,it has only to do with discrimination.Does this answer YOUR question?

I suggest you lock yourself in your room & seethe for the next 10 years.

Average Isaan migrant worker in Bangkok earns between 3000-8000 baht a month. Foreign expats can't get a work permit for less than 50,000 a month most earn in excess of 100,000.

Instead of looking at it as you getting ripped off, why not look at it as people poorer than yourself getting a discount ?

I was trying to convey that I am already used to the double pricing in Thailand, and it bothers me less. But more important to me was - I was stopped from buying the same ticket as last time and "compelled" to buy this stupid sticker which was sold as "Unlimited" rides. I really couldn't care less about riding on the rides, but parents who want to ride with their kids should beware - the sticker is NOT "unlimited" rides.

- and speaking Thai did not help me either..

maybe you speak poor thai (ie : you cant read thai script, therefore struggle to pronounce correctly like 99.99% of the people who tell me they can speak thai)

maybe you are not a thai resident ? check those little stamps in your passport. tourist permits, 1 yearly permit of stay extensions or permanant residency ?

i've been to dreamworld half a dozen times , no problems. 150 BT everytime.

Blah blah blah...we all know you speak Thai...wow what an achievemnet...well so do I as well as Spanish, Greek and Latin....you are missing the point......it is wrong and I never go to such places....maybe you can answer how much my kids should pay...born in Thailand with both Thai and U.K. passports, U.K. father and Thai mother..please what should they pay and back it up with reasoning.

UK father...what is your' thai residency situation ? are you a tourist ? Spanish, Greek, Latin are irrelevant communication mediums for a ticker sellers at thai parks, attractions etc..

No, i dont miss the point..i'm trying to make this point....

the pricing policy is thai citizen/thai resident vs tourist/non -resident NOT thai vs farang

now as a resident you will likely have characteristics(speaking good thai) and legal documentation (immigration prroof of residency vs being a tourist). Put the shoe on the other foot, how would you perceive a legal resident in your country...you'd expect them to speak the language and have legal documentation to prove residency.

all the caucasian thai residents i know NEVER have pricing problems, EVER, funny that.

all the wingers and moaners i bet ARE NOT legal residents but somehow in their little self victimized worlds feel that they deserve some special residency treatment.

Please a response.....

Windsor Castle...

U.K. Citizen 15 pounds

Can you read pricing sgns in Thailand ?

If so, you'd realize that a more accurate point could be made with the wording :

U.K. Citizen and Resident 15 pounds

Foreign Tourist 150 pounds

Please a response.....

Windsor Castle...

U.K. Citizen 15 pounds

Can you read pricing sgns in Thailand ? blah blah blah............yes actually I can and probably far better than you

If so, you'd realize that a more accurate point could be made with the wording :

:o:D:D dosnt really matter the exact wording, the concept is wrong...would you agree a Thai tourist should pay the 150 pounds against a resident from Dedworth Road paying 15 pounds....that is exactly what is happening at attractions in this country and you agree with it so the above should be introduced at the Castle

Edited by PatinBKk

Frankly, we've all reached the point of no persuasion here.

For me and several others, double pricing just doesn't bother me.

For some it drives you nuts. Okay, fine, enjoy the frustration.

Dosnt bother me in the slightest.... <snip> ....so youhave no argument and agree it is wrong...Thankyou

Edited by soundman
Removed flame. No more please.

Notice:

Members please read this regarding forum netiquette.

especially this.

2. Please do not modify someone else's post in your quoted reply, either with font or color changes or wording. Such posts will be deleted and the user warned.

5. Please do not quote multiple nested quotes. Quote only the relevant section that you are discussing. Moderators will snip excessively long nested quotes.

Thankyou.

Frankly, we've all reached the point of no persuasion here.

For me and several others, double pricing just doesn't bother me.

For some it drives you nuts. Okay, fine, enjoy the frustration.

Dosnt bother me in the slightest.... <snip> ....so youhave no argument and agree it is wrong...Thankyou

Do NOT put words in my mouth.

I said neither "side" is going to change the opinion of the other.

I still do not agree with you. That's okay. We don't need to agree.

I don't really have a problem with "farang" pricing, especially at private business like Dream World. Such pricing is common around the world at both public and private venues of all sorts. However, the prices and such should be clearly stated and in order to promote business, should be reasonable. (An unreasonable example would be the Thai national park's 10x price for non-Thais.)

Then one can make an informed decision on whether to patronize or not.

I'm spear heading a bill in canadian parlament to force forgien nationals to "PAY" for not being canadian just like Thais so they can pay $50 to get into our national parks(which are unbelievably beautiful) and we'll still only pay $5. Whats fair is fair!!!!!!!!!!! :o Also I'm trying to have countries that don't allow canadians to buy land in their country prohibitted from buying our great land!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by unforgiven

Went to DreamWorld today with a group of Thai friends and their kids.

Out of curiosity, how much extra did you (and your Thai friends) have to pay per ride? Personally, if I had been told that I had an unlimited ticket and it was no such thing, I would have gone back to the office and shoved it up their unlimited orifice.

The 150 Baht Thai ticket buys one free go on each ride.

The 450 Baht special sticker for me meant I was asked to buy an extra ticket 30 baht up to 150 baht per ride or entrance, for MOST rides. I didn't want to go on most of them anyway but I asked to make sure.

I wonder if this is a new thing because on previous visits I bought the 150 Baht ticket same as everyone else.

I suggest you lock yourself in your room & seethe for the next 10 years.

Average Isaan migrant worker in Bangkok earns between 3000-8000 baht a month. Foreign expats can't get a work permit for less than 50,000 a month most earn in excess of 100,000.

Instead of looking at it as you getting ripped off, why not look at it as people poorer than yourself getting a discount ?

I always love hearing this argument. What should wealth have to do with anything. I'm sure rich Thai's, more wealthy than you or I, visit Dream World at some point. Do they do offer to pay more just because they have more money than the average Thai.

Edited by ballbreaker

I have never seen double pricing in England, Germany, Holland, France or Spain. Where have you seen it?

It does not happen in Europe that I am aware of.

In the U.S., out-of-state students often pay more tuition and fees than in-state students.

Yeah because the students and their parents pay state taxes that support the university. Using your reasoning, anyone who pays Thai taxes should be eligible for the Thai price.

I don't think your example is valid for this situation.

Please a response.....

Windsor Castle...

U.K. Citizen 15 pounds

Can you read pricing sgns in Thailand ? blah blah blah............yes actually I can and probably far better than you

:o:D:D dosnt really matter the exact wording, the concept is wrong...would you agree a Thai tourist should pay the 150 pounds against a resident from Dedworth Road paying 15 pounds....that is exactly what is happening at attractions in this country and you agree with it so the above should be introduced at the Castle

My thai reading/writing/speaking is only at Matayom 6 level. Work in progress. LOL.

but why diffrent price for thais and farang?are they punishing us for being farang?or half farang..... or expat?do they want us to show and prove our experience in thailand every time by showing some id or some papers or passport or workpermit,

so much zik zak for what?

some times even i got rip off,and even i knew that they are playing ....i pay them what they ask for,because i think its not worth it to talk anything to these idiots.

I have said it before and I'll say it again. There should be an ID card that can be purchased for expats (people on non tourist visa of 1yr or greater or residency etc)- this would negate the need to carry passports (or copies thereof) and allow us to prove that we are not tourists and thus 'Thai price please'.

The Gov. should be happy with this as they would get money for it (it could be an optional extra with the Non-Im renewals etc) and a police recognisable ID - 90 reporting at immigration could be done with a card swipe.

Edited by wolf5370

There should be an ID card that can be purchased for expats (people on non tourist visa of 1yr or greater or residency etc)- this would negate the need to carry passports (or copies thereof) and allow us to prove that we are not tourists and thus 'Thai price please'.

My Thai Drivers license doubles as my ID. I have never had any problems, from renting a room, to proving my identity to the police when I was involved in an accident.

I don't know if it would get you a discount at Dream World.

I have never been and would never go. I know they charge a 2 tier pricing scheme, so I choose not to support them.

A well coined phrase in Thailand says 'Up to you'

I have said it before and I'll say it again. There should be an ID card that can be purchased for expats (people on non tourist visa of 1yr or greater or residency etc)- this would negate the need to carry passports (or copies thereof) and allow us to prove that we are not tourists and thus 'Thai price please'.

The Gov. should be happy with this as they would get money for it (it could be an optional extra with the Non-Im renewals etc) and a police recognisable ID - 90 reporting at immigration could be done with a card swipe.

I don't want to pay the government any more money for essentially doing nothing.

How about they just charge everyone the same price? As other people have said, I refuse to give business to anyone who uses a 2 tiered pricing structure.

I have never seen double pricing in England, Germany, Holland, France or Spain. Where have you seen it?

It does not happen in Europe that I am aware of.

In the U.S., out-of-state students often pay more tuition and fees than in-state students.

True, but it's not based on nationality. Even Americans pay out-of-state tuition if they're from another state. Plus the US allows you to get residency in a few months and overcome the out-of-state dilemma.

I actually went to Dreamworld on Friday. All the Thai's queue up outside, just past that area is an information office. I walked in, told them that I was not a tourist, but actually lived here, and the kind lady simply asked if I had a Thai ATM card that I could show her. No worries, I got in for the Thai price of 150Bt and also avoided the long queues outside. Sorted.

So, as regards to Dreamworld (which is what this thread is supposed to be about afterall) It kinda makes the last 4 pages of arguements/discussion pretty worthless.

Yes, there is a dual pricing system in place there, but it appears to be very relaxed and pretty much any farang who lives here can get in at the 'local' price if you're prepared to speak up and politely ask.

Edited by thecatman

Hawaii is another US state where resident/nonresident pricing is common. Most travel related services (hotels, flights, tours, entrance fees) have dual pricing. It is also, somewhat like Thailand, a place with many visitors, and those visitors have what seems like high incomes to the local working people [Hawaii is expensive to visit, so mostly affluent tourists, and local salaries don't keep up with the cost of living there].The hotels have mostly had to give up these dual prices because too much information is available on the internet to keep the nonresidents from finding out, and many Americans are also affronted by these policies in their own country. The entrance fees remain dual priced, but this is easier for most to accept as local taxes support all publicly owned attractions.

You are supposed to show a local ID, but one family (from one of the more rural islands) I heard about when told this upon check in at a Honolulu hotel pointed to the overflowing family in aloha shirts, and to finally convince the clerk, pulled out their rice cooker from their luggage as final proof! Great sense of humor to laugh at their own bannock - country - qualities.

When I feel myself getting worked up over the unfairness issue I try to either pay and enter or leave without more than one or two questions and to do so without losing my public smile and politeness. My wife is happier and at least in the short term, so am I.

I hate dual pricing and i try to avoid it all cost. I hate it most for bungsamran fishing park where a farang pays 1000 and a thai 400 to fish.

I just avoid those places in my opinion those rules are crazy. Others have their views i have mine. I do know that it would never happen in the west. I love it here but that does not mean i cant complain about things that are wrong in my eyes.

For the goverment parks i can kind of understand it because Thais pay tax and most farangs dont. (Thought most parks look a mess). Private business i really don't see why it is beeing done.

But there will always be ppl not minding it and people thinking its normal. The thai friends i hang out with seem to think its crazy. They asked the ticket seller if i got special privileges because else they could not justify the price difference.

Now i just don't go there anymore and find other places to visit.

Thais pay tax and most farangs dont.

90% of Thais either don't meet the minimum tax threshold or hardly pay any income tax. 90% of farangs working in Thailand pay income tax. Everybody, both Thai and farang, pay VAT on almost all goods and services.