What Should I Do Next ?

Hi guys

My Thai Wife has been in the UK with me since July 2007 on the above 2 year Visa.

We need to apply for an indefinate stay now, but not sure how to do it, and its getting near to the expiry date.

I have been trying to ring the UK Boarder number but just cannot get through to them.

I presume that we have to make some sort of application, fee and test for living in UK, but I am not sure who to contact now and how to make an appointment to ensure that she does not run over her stay.

This is the critical one, so I dont want to make any mistakes.

I am hoping that I can get some wise advice on this forum.

Thanks very much in advance

Has your wife passed life in the UK Test ??

If she has she can apply for ILR Indefinate Leave To Remain

If not she can apply for FLR Another two years

You may be required to make progress towards passing Life in the Uk

More Information Available on Website WWW.bia.homeoffice.gov.uk

I dont know why you are having troble with Telephone I have never had a Problem Maybe Easter holiday

The Correct Number just in case you not got the same one is 0870 241 0645

The Fee for FLR WAS in sept 2008 £395 for postel applications and £595 if you apply in person

dependant children under 18 put on the Same application form No additional Fee

I do belive ILR is more money I think it was £750

All Fees are going UP if they have not gone up at the start of the New Tax year

All The best

Has your wife passed life in the UK Test ??

If she has she can apply for ILR Indefinate Leave To Remain

If not she can apply for FLR Another two years

You may be required to make progress towards passing Life in the Uk

More Information Available on Website WWW.bia.homeoffice.gov.uk

I dont know why you are having troble with Telephone I have never had a Problem Maybe Easter holiday

The Correct Number just in case you not got the same one is 0870 241 0645

The Fee for FLR WAS in sept 2008 £395 for postel applications and £595 if you apply in person

dependant children under 18 put on the Same application form No additional Fee

I do belive ILR is more money I think it was £750

All Fees are going UP if they have not gone up at the start of the New Tax year

All The best

Excellent stuff mate, thanks.

I downloaded the LIUK questions a few months back. Spoke to the missus just now and she reckons she is confident to take the test next week. £30 a throw I understand. It would certainly help, as you say that without it, its only another 2 years, then a repeat performance. I will give them a ring on the number you gave me and see what forms I need to download.

Best wishes

G

Hi guys

My Thai Wife has been in the UK with me since July 2007 on the above 2 year Visa.

We need to apply for an indefinate stay now, but not sure how to do it, and its getting near to the expiry date.

I have been trying to ring the UK Boarder number but just cannot get through to them.

I presume that we have to make some sort of application, fee and test for living in UK, but I am not sure who to contact now and how to make an appointment to ensure that she does not run over her stay.

This is the critical one, so I dont want to make any mistakes.

I am hoping that I can get some wise advice on this forum.

Thanks very much in advance

How good is your wife's reading and writing of English? Has she thought about doing an ESOL with citizenship course? The course runs from September to June and if your wife reaches level 3 then she can apply for her ILR visa without doing the Life in the UK test, it would mean you renewing her Limited leave to remain visa and then applying for the ILR after she passes the course. Just type ESOL course in your search engine to find the national phone number and they will tell you where your closest course is, hope this helps.

Brigante7.

She can appliy for Indefinite Leave to Remain once she has completed 2 years in the UK (actually she can apply up to 28 days before this) using Form SET(M). See this page and the relevent links from there.

See also Knowledge of language and life in the United Kingdom.

If her current visa expires and she has not completed one or more of the necessary criteria for ILR (length of stay, LitUK etc.) then do not apply for ILR. It will be refused and she will not get the fee back. In this situation she should apply for Further Leave to Remain instead (see here) which extends here Leave to Remain for a further 2 years, during which if she does qualify for ILR she can then apply for that.