Thais Leaving Thailand?

ThaisGood

I was speaking with someone who spent some time in Thailand years ago, and now has a lot of friends in his local Thai community in USA. He said that there is currently an exodus of Thais to USA, from all kinds of channels. They are coming via Thailand direct, or via Singapore, Mexico, etc. Getting into US to escape current crisis and perceived future instability. It doesn't sound correct to me, the crisis going on now wouldn't create an exodus of Thais. Just wondering if others have comments on this.

I've had a few university educated Thai friends that have made the jump cause the professional salaries companies offered them here in Thailand was just to low. My own partner is constantly checking different channels towards immigration to Australia and Canada so it is not uncommon for some to want to jump ship once they realization of the environment here kicks in.

I was speaking with someone who spent some time in Thailand years ago, and now has a lot of friends in his local Thai community in USA. He said that there is currently an exodus of Thais to USA, from all kinds of channels. They are coming via Thailand direct, or via Singapore, Mexico, etc. Getting into US to escape current crisis and perceived future instability. It doesn't sound correct to me, the crisis going on now wouldn't create an exodus of Thais. Just wondering if others have comments on this.

I think this is a long term trend from way before the crisis and I mean years/decades old. But I can see current events tipping the scales when people are deciding. I highly doubt it's an exodus.

Exodus?..mmmmm Probably not anymore than usual

Given opportunity, almost any Thai or other third world nationals would make the leap to good old USA.

It's all about Economics and opportunities.

Edited by Misplaced

Thais going to the US via Mexico! <deleted> as illegal aliens? erh probably not..

Thais leaving mass exodus because of current crisis and future instability - this is Thailand dude - Thais are used to this sort of political upheaval and army democracy as my mrs calls it.

I'm sure they will leave for financial reasons if they can but its not easy to get a visa for the states or anywhere for a Thai. My mrs has travelled exstensively with and without me to many countries bu the good ol' US of A knocked her back for a visa.

travelling abroad for financial/education gains not for future instabilities me not thinks.

I have friends in the US, very qualified for what they did, that were laid off and are having significant troubles finding new jobs. I doubt the employment market there is very attractive right now. Check out the figures at

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090403/ap_on_...y_the_numbers_1

Those numbers topped 6 million people less than 15 days after the article so we have not started to see a leveling or an upswing yet.

Do they also need to be over 50 and have 25k USD in a USA bak account to be allowed to stay for 1 year?

What about 90 days reporting at some immigration office??? :o

How can they get a work permit?

List of jobs they can not do not to steal the jobs of the locals etc etc?

tartemptation

although the requirements may not be exactly the same as what thailand imposes on foriegn nationals getting a visa to live/work in thailand, let me assure you that other countries have equally stringent requirements.

it might not be age related, but certainly skills related. for instance Canada and Australia. cant speak for the US, but Id imagine yes. for europe - almost impossible.

and to those that have said there is better pay in the western world. again, not always necessarily the case

:o

and yes I speak from experience, not a random guess

Cant see any mass migration out of thailand,only those with the education and work experience would be able to leave thailand.where are the masses going to go,laos,cambodia,burma,i dont think so.

And i would n't have thought going to the USA you would go for security or stability,the shape the country is in right now.

Australia,canada would be a better bet or scandinavia.

Thai's going through Mexico to get to the States ??

An exodus to the States ??

What absolute nonsense your Friend is telling you...

Exodus = a going out; a departure or emigration, usually of a large number of people: the summer exodus to the country and shore.

Simply not happening.

Edited by MSingh

Given opportunity, almost any Thai or other third world nationals would make the leap to good old USA.

It may surprise you that MANY Thais and 3rd world nationals HAVE ABSOLUTELY no desire to go to the USA. Regarding "economics and opportunities" it may also surprise you that many prefer to go to China as THAT is where the opportunities are nowadays, without the risk of getting shot in schools or at the shopping malls. For lifestyle, many prefer Australia/Canada/Europe over USA anyway.

I'd say your opinion was probably true a decade ago, but these days there are better countries to emigrate to or to do business with.

And i would n't have thought going to the USA you would go for security or stability,the shape the country is in right now.

Australia,canada would be a better bet or scandinavia.

Actually here in the good old USA we can still arm ourselves to the teeth so it is pretty safe,,,,,,,,,,LOL :o:D

Other than that I cannot speak for other Thais but I can say we recently were in Thailand for a few months. In the end I asked my wife if she will miss it & would she like to stay longer.

She said no Im ready to go home. I asked what would she miss & she said well family of course & then the spicy noodles but I can cook that she said & smiled.

I asked her to explain more why she now felt more at home in the US

(although we are not in mainstream US per se')

She said it was so much quieter & cleaner. The traffic was so light in comparision & overall just less hectic. She also liked the cooler climate & the green color.

(we live in a rain forest) She likes her kitchen here.

She does not like the higher prices or the lack of work here though :D

So I thought that was interesting. I feel pretty much the same but love visiting TL

The cheap food & the Cinema is actually way more modern than here :D

It may surprise you that MANY Thais and 3rd world nationals HAVE ABSOLUTELY no desire to go to the USA. Regarding "economics and opportunities" it may also surprise you that many prefer to go to China as THAT is where the opportunities are nowadays, without the risk of getting shot in schools or at the shopping malls. For lifestyle, many prefer Australia/Canada/Europe over USA anyway.

I'd say your opinion was probably true a decade ago, but these days there are better countries to emigrate to or to do business with.

Yes because a lot Thais have finally realized in these "western countries" the railroad tracks are not made of pure gold and people have to work to make a living.

The other point - it became much more difficult to get entrance into one of the above mentioned countries. If you made it and got entrance and you are living in such country mentioned, you

almost have the same rights except a few as the native population has.

Edited by webfact

I actually get about 2 or 3 CV’s a year from Thai’s living in the US or UK looking to come back to Thailand to work. Got one just last week. This is usually people that have worked overseas for 10 years or so and now want to raise the family in Thailand. We have 3 such people in our office now. It is a good deal for us, like hiring an westerner on Thai salary, though the Thai salary is top end, all 3 make over 100k a month.

I know several Thais that have worked in China, they would choose the US or Europe over it every time.

TH

I actually get about 2 or 3 CV’s a year from Thai’s living in the US or UK looking to come back to Thailand to work. Got one just last week.

I got one last month, to help a Thai guy get a job (firstly traineeship) in our BKK office. A Rutgers University graduate.

Don't know him but his mother is a doctor at Samitivej, we know her as she looked after my daughter since birth.

He's after an IT MNC in Thailand rather than in the US.

Thais, compared to, say, the people of the Philippines, are too feckless, insular, clueless, uneducated, lazy and lack the language skills (ie English) to travel abroad for work, which is why the service industries in the gulf states and elsewhere in the world are full of Fillipinos and not Thais, and currency transfers to the Philippines are enormous.

Of course the highest educated Thais, who are also usually bilingual, are able to travel abroad and work in highly skilled jobs, and good on them, but the average Thai, compared to the average Fillipino, would rather stay in their own country and earn less or nothing compared to what they would earn if they went abroad.

No it does not surprise me. Personally I'd rather be in Thailand than most states in the US, excluding Southern Cal for life style of course.

My Thai wife would love to move back to the US after three years in Thailand.

Considers moving back to Thailand as a huge mistake.

No comparison, really.

Tell her to move into the suburb of Detroit and she'll appreciate living in Thailand much more.

I keep telling my self "There's no place like Dana Point, There's no place like Dana Point". Ahhhh what a good life that was.

Thais, compared to, say, the people of the Philippines, are too feckless, insular, clueless, uneducated, lazy and lack the language skills (ie English) to travel abroad for work, which is why the service industries in the gulf states and elsewhere in the world are full of Fillipinos and not Thais, and currency transfers to the Philippines are enormous.

Of course the highest educated Thais, who are also usually bilingual, are able to travel abroad and work in highly skilled jobs, and good on them, but the average Thai, compared to the average Fillipino, would rather stay in their own country and earn less or nothing compared to what they would earn if they went abroad.

These are a significant % of GDP, I think over 8%, which, if it happened in Thailand would make it more than the tourist industry.

My folks moved back from the US after 30+ years and seem to be completely happy with that decision. We could go back at a moment's notice though should the next transition of symbolic power be less than widely accepted.

:o