Annoying Thai Mosquitos

anna234cn

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anna, have the same problem, they love me too :o Only suggestion is making sure you have good repellent, I always used thai brand, small blue & white bottle with thai writing & "15" on it. Really effective at keeping the buggers away but would take a layer of plastic off your lighter if you had any on your hands :D

I use a 400 baht electric bug zapper with attracting light. Works great to keep my house clear. Once, when the switch went kaput and it took a few days to get it fixed, we really noticed a huge increase... from zero to many many.

Edited by Ajarn

Anna, have the same problem, they love me too :o Only suggestion is making sure you have good repellent, I always used thai brand, small blue & white bottle with thai writing & "15" on it. Really effective at keeping the buggers away but would take a layer of plastic off your lighter if you had any on your hands :D

Thanks, Boo. i will try that repellent. I am using Johnson & Johnson repellent. But seems mosquitos can get over it now.

I am lucky. they never bother me, if you eat plenty of garlic or take the capsles thats one way to stop them the other thing i have been told to use, is Johnsons Baby Oil, the one with a mossie repellent in, you can buy at a pharmacy or supermarket, that works.

Actually I am not thinking how to protect myself from mosquitos.

I wanna KILL them. I never see Thai ppl kill mosquitos. They are so kind that even they give mosquitos their blood as alms.

Right now I am busy looking for the starving mosquito in my room.

i dont like most mossie repellants , especially deet , if they can eat through plastic then what are they doing to your skin or your insides when they are absorbed.

one of the spiral slow burning coils outside each open door and a fully charged electric zapper tennis racquet to hand to fry any intruders usually does the trick.

those electric things are fun too , big flash , loud bang and a puff of smoke !

they are vapourised......... its star trek stuff !! and humane, its so quick, wouldnt want the little fukcers to suffer. :o

Edited by taxexile

Anna, western brands don't work, the little gits manage to get immunity to them pretty fast. Even Jungle formula, the best I had ever found & got me round Africa with out a bite for 4 months, didn't last more than a couple of weeks in LOS :o

i dont like most mossie repellants , especially deet , if they can eat through plastic then what are they doing to your skin or your insides when they are absorbed.

one of the spiral slow burning coils outside each open door and a fully charged electric zapper tennis racquet to hand to fry any intruders usually does the trick.

those electric things are fun too , big flash , loud bang and a puff of smoke !

they are vapourised......... its star trek stuff  !!

Those zappers are just the best!!

An old bushmans trick from NZ is to use dettol and cooking oil mixed togeather.I find that it works ok, but you smell like a pox doctors clinic. :o

love gecko. They are very kind. They wont hurt you. So dont worry.

yes, they are cute little things and i love to watch them scurrying about as they go after the insects , but they sh1t all over the place , those tiny little gecko turds that you can hardly see until you put your face on one as you lie down, or eat or drink if you leave a drink or bit of food out unguarded for a minute.

maybe a few volts up the tail from my mossie zapper will sort them out. :o

Why not catch a gecko as my pet?

anyone know the best way to clean gecko sh1t off the pillows?

Wash em

I hate when you go back to a cold climate and these little lumps pop up where you think you havent been bitten iv got 2 on my forehead its like going through the acne stage at puberty.

I hate the mosquitos 'coz they love my blood.

Any good way to avoid them or kill them softly?

I have tried many ways, but no use. :D

Can't imagine anybody actually 'liking' mosquitos... The electronic Zappers are great! I just love the 'sound' like sweet music, knowing that one of little bastards has just been vapourized! But, you cannot carry around a Zapper. I buy some stuff in Greece called "OFF" which is a spray on chemical. I spray it on the sofa and around the bed and it works a treat. Can also spray it on the body or clothes and they do not like the smell.

:o mosquitos :D

You can carry around the zappers Rav. Over here you can buy these things that look like little tennis rackets. You see a mozzie and just a lazy forehand and the push of a button...snap,crackle..pop.They fry before your eyes. One of the most fun toys ever to come out of China.Hours of entertainment if you've had a few and there are plenty of mozzies about. :D Only worth about US$2.50 each.

I hate the mosquitos 'coz they love my blood.

Any good way to avoid them or kill them softly?

I have tried many ways, but no use. :o

Apparently, wearing darker clothes makes you less attractive - to mosquitoes, that is :D.

"Factors that make you attractive to mosquitoes — being big-boned, heavy, sweating a lot, not having much hair" - but, seeing your avatar, this obviously doesn't apply to you :D

(quote from http://www.choice.com.au/viewArticle.aspx?...&tid=100008&p=5 )

Good to see that no-one mentioned taking extra Vitamin B; it's a myth, apparently - along with garlic.............

Edited by Steve2UK

ANNA,

Please experiment with this suggestion.

A friend and I wanted to go golfing in this one town; however, we knew we'd both be eaten alive by the mosquitoes. I remembered on a diet board (yes, a diet board) that a couple of women up in Canada had mentioned mosquitos didn't eat them alive anymore and they thought it was because they were cooking more with coconut oil.

Soooo... while driving to the golf course we stopped and drank a coconut (one each ) before the golf.

We were laughing and amazed how the mosquitoes were repelled from ourselves. We could see the mossies hovering around the co2 source in the coke and beer cans; but the mossies would get within 6 inches of us then split.

Something in coconut oil repels mossies and other varmints.

Good luck

I never see Thai ppl kill mosquitos.

ALL the thai people I know kill mosquitos with great relish. My husband has taught my son and now the two of them take great joy in running around "clapping" them out of the air.

Deet is really bad for you apparently it is absorbed into the blood, I believe it was banned at one time in Australia or America, can't remember which. However it is the only thing that works for me. I just try not to use it too often. I have a plug in thing in my house, it is a plastic unit that you screw a bottle of anti mos stuff into, I don't know what it is called, but I bought it in Tesco and it works really well.

ANNA,

Please experiment with this suggestion. 

A friend and I wanted to go golfing in this one town; however, we knew we'd both be eaten alive by the mosquitoes.  I remembered on a diet board (yes, a diet board)  that a couple of women up in Canada had mentioned mosquitos didn't eat them alive anymore and they thought it was because they were cooking more with coconut oil.

Soooo... while driving to the golf course we stopped and drank a coconut (one each ) before the golf.

We were laughing and amazed how the mosquitoes were repelled from ourselves.  We could see the mossies hovering around the co2 source in the coke and beer cans; but the mossies would get within 6 inches of us then split.

Something in coconut oil repels mossies and other varmints.

Good luck

Thanks. It sounds amazing.

Why not catch a gecko as my pet?

anyone know the best way to clean gecko sh1t off the pillows?

Or off the washing-up (when they run across the kitchen ceiling at night)?

There have been earlier threads on mosquitoes - concensus was that yeast is as good as garlic as a product that seeps through the skin and repels the little suckers.

Therefore eat lots of Marmite and drink lots of beer. you may still get bitten, but you'll feel a ###### of a lot better!

In Africa we used to have these little penlike buzzers. battery operated. they emitted a sound at a certain frequency barely audible. no mozzies.  they were standard army issue there. have tried to find them here, but no joy.

We had something similar back in Oz too...

But they weren't battery operated... they plugged into a 220-250V AC power outlet.

Wish I could find them here... :D

If any of you Aussis back home are on-line, can you just nip down to the nearest Bunnings hardware store and let us know if they're still available? :o

Here in Thailand I find that the slow-burning coils work best.