My Rant On Thai Drinking Habits

jaideeguy

Seen alot worse in the British Isles and many parties in the US. :D

You've seen "a lot worse" in Britain and the US! :o

I agree that in Thailand many farangs behave the same way, but in the West it's very unusual to see drunks driving 'cos they know that if they're caught they face losing their licence at the very least!

Whilst I've seen lots of drunken behaviour at home, I saw it far less frequently!

It's not that unusual to see drunks driving in the UK and losing your licence is no deterent, I live in a small town (2000 people) and 2 young men crashed their cars last weekend and both failed breath test's for alcohol, and quite a few of my mates have lost their licence in the past, also for every 1 caught their are sure to be plenty who don't.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Having lived here for 8+ yrs [and survived 10 songkrans], I've come to the realization that [most] Thais have a totally unhealthy relationship with alcohol.

Most....

Drink til there is no more alcohol [or money to buy].

Drink til they drop or puke.

Keep topping off the drinks, so it's impossible to sip slowly [pace yourself].

They blame the drink [and not the drinker] for actions committed during a drinking session.

They drive while drunk [as we just witnessed this last deadly week].

They get loud and stupid, often showing off their drunkenness.

They are in total denial about the damage it does to families, innocent victims of accidents. They drink at any occasion, death, house warming, weddings, graduations, children's birthdays [setting a good example for the next generation].

Drinking and selling of alcohol at wats makes me wonder about the 'values' of Buddhism.

And if you don't join them in a drink, you are 'a stuck up falang'.

IMHO, [demon] alcohol is the single biggest enemy to Thai culture and the Thai family unit and They will be the last to admit it. do a google and see how many AA or equivalent organizations there are here.

And FYI, I am a drinker my self, but have learned decades ago, when to stop [or at least slow down] and I am not saying that I am better than they are, but just admitting that I don't like to drink 'Thai Style'

All of the ^^ could be sais about many, many Countries around the World in my opinion..

Having lived here for 8+ yrs [and survived 10 songkrans], I've come to the realization that [most] Thais have a totally unhealthy relationship with alcohol.

Most....

They blame the drink [and not the drinker] for actions committed during a drinking session.

They are in total denial about the damage it does to families, innocent victims of accidents. They drink at any occasion, death, house warming, weddings, graduations, children's birthdays [setting a good example for the next generation].

Drinking and selling of alcohol at wats makes me wonder about the 'values' of Buddhism.

IMHO, [demon] alcohol is the single biggest enemy to Thai culture and the Thai family unit and They will be the last to admit it. do a google and see how many AA or equivalent organizations there are here.

And FYI, I am a drinker my self, but have learned decades ago, when to stop [or at least slow down] and I am not saying that I am better than they are, but just admitting that I don't like to drink 'Thai Style'

You speak the words of wisdom my friend.

The trouble is responsibility for ones actions is cast out of the window when drink comes into it.

Call it selfishness or ignorance but Thai folk really do get slaughtered on a whim.

Went to the missus place for Songran but felt really that the Thais make themselves look like idiots getting smashed like fruitbats.

Loud talking and trashy mouthed. When sober they are usually upstanding folk. Add the demon drink and there you have it.

I've seen it do the same to farang too but that's another story.

Most....

---------------------------------------------------------

I agree 100%... I live up in Isaan, and can only speak of Isaan. But it is like you say!!! And to the other usual guys that always

picks up -"it is the same there and there and there..." so what.... it is still like jaideeguy claim... Thai people have nu fundamental knowledge about alcohol.

Well said

Glegolo

You can add "irresponsibility" to the list.

Not Thai-bashing at all, I joined them many times in a session, but I think the genetic theory has validity. They don't no any better and are only repeating what generations have done before them.

It was annoying when a teenage member of the family was supposed to pick us up at the bus stop around 4.00 am one morning. We had no response when we phoned him and discovered that he had got p!ssed with his mates the night before and was comotose on OUR sofa !

Nobody died, and I have suffered worse inconveniences, but it was a learning curve for me.

I write this because I feel the need to have people take a look at the reality of life.. Nothing more...

As a Confessed alcoholic , who has been sober for the past 15 years, I have been on both sides of the proverbial fence of drink..

I truly enjoyed my days of drink , and would not change them for anything , since the experience gained in those days are lessons for my behavior today...

I fully understand some of the defensive and aggressive comments I have observed in this string , as well as many of the righteous and condemning attitudes voiced...

Social drinking is acceptable in my opinion, and my wife practices this form of indulgence in our home... No problem...

Alcohol destroyed my life and I was totally unaware of my behavior and attitude until I stopped drinking and started to grow up.

I defended my drinking and behavior in a very aggressive manner... My life has changed since I have stopped drinking , and that is all , changed.. Some things seem better and some worse , but I am not creating more problems in my life because of alcohol.. Today, I remember how I got home , where I went , who I slept with , ETC... I cannot say I am a better person , but I sure like who I am much better than when I drank compulsively and acted like a child, who was grandiose, defiant and dangerous..

In the Village my present wife grew up in , Alcohol is a part of every occassion held.. The drunks can be friendly or obnoxious. Sound familiar ? Drug addiction, disfunctional families, infidelity, early death, HIV, +++ are common.. :D

My previous wife's Village is a sober Village and special events are alcohol free in most cases.. It is still not perfect , but is a safe and comfortable enviroment for young and old alike... And the Parties are still FUN, and spiritual if needed.. :o

So , if you drink , I dare you to stop drinking for 10 days , that should not be a problem , people who do not have a drinking problem can easily do that .. Give it a try, my hat is off to you...

Saying alcohol is not a problem is like saying smoking tobbacco is safe...

Judge Yourself, look at your life and see if a change might improve it.. Any change , from eating better to more execise, improvements are just that , they aim to improve...

I can and did justify my behaviour for years on end, I am just glad I took the 10 day challenge , it changed my life , and the change is in me, not where I live or who I hang out with , Just me...

I am very lucky that my gf rarely drinks and 2-3 bottles of leo gives her headache.Her mum has never drank alcohol in her life and she is 65.One of the brothers doesnt drink but the other brother drinks a few beers and is a bit lazy.Only one of the extended family drinks heavy but he is very funny too,so maybe lucky or chose the right girl,make your mind up time.

There is quite a high level of liver disease in Thailand; more so in some areas than others, due to levels of education about/adherence to safe practice e.g. in eating raw fish and blood/meat, and safe sex.

That would put a strain on the liver in some individuals which would affect their response to alcohol and susceptibility to further liver damage. This might help explain why reported rates for alcoholic cirrhosis are not as high as we might expect?

Also, there is a well-known genetic intolerance for alcohol found in many Asians (and other groups, too, I understand.)

There is quite a high level of liver disease in Thailand; more so in some areas than others, due to levels of education about/adherence to safe practice e.g. in eating raw fish and blood/meat, and safe sex.

That would put a strain on the liver in some individuals which would affect their response to alcohol and susceptibility to further liver damage. This might help explain why reported rates for alcoholic cirrhosis are not as high as we might expect?

Also, there is a well-known genetic intolerance for alcohol found in many Asians (and other groups, too, I understand.)

With the other groups I would include native americans, aboriginal australians and in some cases Scandinavians - Social groups that have not been exposed to drinking alcohol for the last few generations.

With the other groups I would include native americans, aboriginal australians and in some cases Scandinavians - Social groups that have not been exposed to drinking alcohol for the last few generations.

I think you mean only exposed for the last few generations.

Forget the Skandies - they're part of the great Celtic pissartist swathe.

I've done the 10 day thing, and was only too happy to get back to the beer :o

Edited by mahtin

im off for a few pints with my thai mates, to down a few UK style, you shower of wusses - mind where you're looking m8, or ill rip your f**king head off

Thanks for you interlectual comment very usefull

Member How long 2 Posts can only find one post.

Presume deleted same as this one needs to be.

How many Thai Mates you got how much they cost you.

I just went and had a couple of pints UK style as you put it with my Thai friends. Not Mates!!!

Friends they are 100% only upset they had was today a insisted I pay.

Have lots of mates in Thailand. Bank balance very good thank you. but just a couple of handfull of friends.

You need to read and digest and get a life.

What is m8 not in my dictonery. King head off. Sorry you are going to bite a cobras head off.

Thanks for the none contribution people like you cause all people who live here so much trouble go home and stay way.

Befor you either get deported of banged up in the Bangkok Hilton.

But for now M8.

Don't forget people drink for different reasons.

When comparing Thai drinking habits to British i think it's worth bearing in mind there is bound to be a direct link between poverty and alcohol abuse.

As there are more people in poverty over here there are bound to be more alcoholics.

In the same way there will be a direct link between alcohol and violence in the more impoverished areas due to boredom and a lack of anything to do.

I would also suggest that British people tend to have more hobbies than Thai's, i don't know why this is maybe it's a cultural or economic thing, i know it sounds funny but it's all about escapism at the end of the day.

I managed a nightclub back in London for 7 years and we had to call the police/ambulances several times almost every night we were open to collect people for Fighting, drug dealing, overdoses, pickpockets, sexual assaults and all other manner of alcohol related issues.

Having spent a fair bit of time in clubs over here i would suggest in BKK Thai kids are generally much better behaved than kids on a night out back home.

I don't know what it's like out in the countryside though.

I think you mean only exposed for the last few generations.

Forget the Skandies - they're part of the great Celtic pissartist swathe.

I've done the 10 day thing, and was only too happy to get back to the beer :o

I just managed 6 days and glad to get back on a couple of Leos today.

Do you know how much it costs for a beer in Norway, Sweden, Denmark, Finland ?- I know from first hand expereince (I have a few Scandihooigan friends) that alcohol just doesn't agree with them. They can't handle it when they start drinking - Crying, singing and fighting - usually in that order.

Celtic are the Irish, scots and the welsh - who can handle a drink.

Edited by Geekfreaklover

It is a country of drunks and the power that be keep it that way with cheap beer , lao khao and a daily dose of brainwashing keeps them really easy to control

You hit the nail on the head....................................

Agreed, a nation of addicts is easy to control.

Male gender, being the child of an alcoholic parent or parents, extended family history and being of Irish (Celtic), Scandinavian, German, Polish, Russian or Native American ancestry, beginning drinking as a teenager, and being depressed or highly anxious all increase the risk of experiencing problems with alcohol. Further research may determine if genetic factors are accountable, in part, for differences in alcohol metabolism and increase the risk of an individual becoming an alcoholic.

They missed Thai.

CMfalang.....

"My previous wife's Village is a sober Village and special events are alcohol free in most cases.. It is still not perfect , but is a safe and comfortable enviroment for young and old alike... And the Parties are still FUN, and spiritual if needed.."

Just where is that village where they don't drink.....I'd like to go there and find [another] wife!! and just see sanity for a change.......

CMfalang.....

"My previous wife's Village is a sober Village and special events are alcohol free in most cases.. It is still not perfect , but is a safe and comfortable enviroment for young and old alike... And the Parties are still FUN, and spiritual if needed.."

Just where is that village where they don't drink.....I'd like to go there and find [another] wife!! and just see sanity for a change.......

Yes, I'd be interested to know where such a village is.

I am at this very moment having my ears violated by the screaming match from the couple in the house behind. Get this about 3 or 4 times a week. He's an habitual drunk and she (unusually) only has a drink on special occasions, but not enough to get drunk.

This is the same man who entered our house at 6am Christmas morning, drunk and looking for a cigarette. I was in the back kitchen and the first i realised was when my missus backed in as she was intimidated by this bloke. I had to push him out of the house. 50% of the time, he's quite a decent bloke, but a right pain the rest of the time when he's drunk.

You may wish to consider observing Thais of a different social position. A great many Thais limit their alcohol intake. I drink more than a few of my friends and I'm a wuss by western standards.

I agree.

My wife's family have not lost anyone to alcohol and neither have any of my wife's friends.

The most I have ever seen any of her friends or family drink is a glass of beer with ice in it. Mind you, they are Thai-Chinese.

CMfalang.....

Yes, I'd be interested to know where such a village is.

I am at this very moment having my ears violated by the screaming match from the couple in the house behind. Get this about 3 or 4 times a week. He's an habitual drunk and she (unusually) only has a drink on special occasions, but not enough to get drunk.

This is the same man who entered our house at 6am Christmas morning, drunk and looking for a cigarette. I was in the back kitchen and the first i realised was when my missus backed in as she was intimidated by this bloke. I had to push him out of the house. 50% of the time, he's quite a decent bloke, but a right pain the rest of the time when he's drunk.

The screaming match finally died down and it was quiet again. Then the peace was shattered by a gunshot. My neighbour from the house behind had apparently had an argument with another drunken villager in the afternoon and he had gone to my neighbour's house and taken a shot at him. He was off target and apparently nearly hit my neighbour's Father-in-law.

Luckily nobody was killed or injured, but now the Police are involved, so will see what happens next.

Alcohol, volatile Thais and guns do not mix well.

Most....

That's the way it is. The responsible drinking nazis haven't reached Thailand yet.

Seriously, there is a growing campaign to educate the Thai public on the hazards of excessive drinking. Old habits die hard, but not all Thais like getting sloshed.

Edited by dbrenn

Another thing that I've noticed is that nearly all Thai drinkers dont seem to suffer the after effects the same way that I do.

If I get drunk, I have a hangover in the morning. If I get really drunk, I can suffer for 2 or 3 days!

I see Thais drink until they collapse and are taken home in a cart, yet the next morning they're as bright as a button.