Vip bus to nong khai

dlfisher

Hi,

Last time I did a visa run I went to Vientienne and enjoyed it so much I decided I'd go there again.

I enjoyed Vientenne, however, not the trip. I have always heard the government VIP buses were great, so I went out to MoChit and grabbed one. ####, did I ever get a loser. Was it bad luck, or are the government buses headed that direction all crap?

Is there a private company anyone knows of that is better? Any phone numbers or recommendations on where to grab it. Would I be best off going out to MoChit and scouting it out, or is there a sales office, preferably in the Sukhumvit area for a company that offers the service.

Any information is greatly appreciated.

Why not consider the overnight train from Hua Lum Pong Station (Bangkok) to Nong Khai? You can buy a second-class sleeper ticket in an air-conditioned carriage for about 700 baht (can't remember the exact price). The beds are comfortable and clean, and the journey is much smoother than my experience of any bus travel here in Thailand. Also, the toilets are "acceptable" and there is somewhere to eat, wash, and shave on the train.

To be certain of your travel arrangements, you can buy your ticket in advance at Hua Lum Pong Station. I bought mine the day before. Don't be conned by the guys who tell you the trains aren't running "you must travel by bus instead"! Go to the counter marked "INFORMATION". Ask for a timetable there. They will point you to the counter where you can purchase your ticket.

When you arrive at Nong Khai train station you can take a short tuk-tuk drive to the town. Should cost no more than about 40 baht.

As an aside, my only "bad" experience of taking a train in Thailand was taking a 3rd class journey from Hua Hin to Bangkok. The journey was pleasant enough, just it took a terribly long while! Oh, just remembered... there was a very drunk old Thai woman sitting near me who kept saying "How are yoooooouuuuuuuuu? Shake your hand!".

Brian,

Thanks. Definitely considering the bus, I just haven't sussed out the schedules yet to make sure one arrives there early enough to get into the line early at the consulate/embassy is all.

Definitely prefer the train in all regards except time schedules.

Thanks

David

Hi,

I think you were unlucky with the VIP coach before.

I've been on quite a few long runs on the VIP, BKK - Hat Yai, BKK - Phuket etc. The coaches were always modern, even the drivers seemed better... older guys that drove with some sense, slower sure, but no corners on 2 wheels.

But then, maybe I was lucky!  :o

The 2nd or 1st class train is also very good idea. 3rd, as mentioned, is not.