Bangkok City Police Chief Transferred

george

City police chief transferred

BANGKOK: -- Police chief on Sunday delegated to new job one of his deputies, Pol Gen Jongrak Juthanont after he mishandled many cases including People's Alliance for Democracy's seizures of two Bangkok airports.

Jongrak who oversaw metropolitan police is transferred to oversee eastern and central regions. One of the deputies; Pol Gen Thanee Somboonsab, who is seen as close to Democrat Party of Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajvia, will replace Jongrak.

-- The Nation 2009-04-19

Transfer of deputy police chief linked to Sondhi's assassination attempt

BANGKOK: -- Police chief on Sunday delegated to new job one of his deputies, Pol Gen Jongrak Juthanont after he mishandled many cases including People's Alliance for Democracy's seizures of two Bangkok airports.

Jongrak who oversaw metropolitan police is transferred to oversee eastern and central regions. One of the deputies; Pol Gen Thanee Somboonsab, who is seen as close to Democrat Party of Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajvia, will replace Jongrak.

Sources said Jongrak failed to prevent PAD from seizing Suvaranbhumi and Don Mueng airports last year. Under Jongrak's supervision, police also arrested a navy officer on charge of involving in killing plot of a privy councillor, but the court cleared the office of the charge due to lack of substantiate evidence.

The last incident reportedly led to the transfer was the killing attempt on PAD's leader Sondhi Limthongkul early Friday morning on Sam Sen road.

-- The Nation 2009-04-19

City police chief transferred

BANGKOK: -- Police chief on Sunday delegated to new job one of his deputies, Pol Gen Jongrak Juthanont after he mishandled many cases including...

for example...

[ other photos snipped ]

51jongrak.jpg

Deputy National Police Commissioner Police General Jongrak Juthanont

Somchai, Chavalit, and Police blamed for Oct 7

The National Human Rights Commission (NHRC) has held many high-profile figures, including Somchai Wongsawat, Chavalit Yongchaiyudh, and Police General Patcharawat Wongsuwan, responsible for the violence on October 7.

Two people were killed and hundreds injured in running clashes on the streets of central Bangkok.

Police used teargas to disperse the PAD mob, but exploding canisters saw several protesters lose limbs. The NHRC has looked into the October 7 violence, questioning witnesses and reviewing evidence. Doctors, forensic-science experts, policemen, reporters and demonstrators all gave witness accounts.

The NHRC probe has concluded that Somchai and his then-Deputy PM Chavalit should be held responsible for the violence because they were the ones who gave instructions to police.

Patcharawat, who was then-National Police Commissioner, and 11 other high-ranking policemen were also charged with violating human rights.

NHRC also said the actions of Patcharawat and these 11 other policemen could be construed as offences in terms of colluding to harm other people and even pre-meditated murder.

The 11 policemen are General Pansiri Prapawat, General Wiroj Paholvej, General Jongrak Juthanont, Lt-General Suchart Muankaew, Maj-General Wiboon Bangthamai, Maj-General Likhit Klin-uan, Maj-General Ekarat Meepreecha, Maj-General Chaktip Chaijinda, Maj-General Sriwara Rangsiphramanakul, Colonel Leuchai Sudyod, and Maj-General Amnuay Nimmano.

What with corruption, cronyism and total incompetency, I am starting to think that the Royal Thai Police force should be disbanded. How can they be replaced? Should they be replaced? Will the new one be as inefficient and as corrupt as the current one?

I cannot answer these questions. Maybe no police force is better than the one we currently have! Maybe crowds will roam the streets and anarchy will ensue. Gang rule. But look at Pattaya and the riots in Bangkok last week. Nothing was done.

This will probably cause a barrage of abuse, retorts, angry replies and insults. Call me innocent, stupid, naive or insane if you will. What do you think should be done? Should Thailand have to suffer the corruption and incompetency of the current police force?

Your statements deserve no abuse whatsoever, most people understand that until major changes take place inside the policing system here, little will change on far too many fronts - putting in place an effective policing and enforcement system would move Thailand forward by light years.

What with corruption, cronyism and total incompetency, I am starting to think that the Royal Thai Police force should be disbanded. How can they be replaced? Should they be replaced? Will the new one be as inefficient and as corrupt as the current one?

I cannot answer these questions. Maybe no police force is better than the one we currently have! Maybe crowds will roam the streets and anarchy will ensue. Gang rule. But look at Pattaya and the riots in Bangkok last week. Nothing was done.

This will probably cause a barrage of abuse, retorts, angry replies and insults. Call me innocent, stupid, naive or insane if you will. What do you think should be done? Should Thailand have to suffer the corruption and incompetency of the current police force?

It would also depend on what orders were given. After all, the government stance was not to use violence. They might have tied there hands more then we would see in the West. There the stance is more a proportional response, which doesn't preclude the use of force or tear gass and police can use force as first ones to restore order.

Transfer of deputy police chief linked to Sondhi's assassination attempt. ...

Pol Gen Thanee Somboonsab, who is seen as close to Democrat Party of Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajvia, will replace Jongrak.

you don't transfer a senior police officer 4 months after breach of airports security, lack of evidence againts an army officer or an assasination attempt on a corrupted businessman and politician - simply there was another one in a que, closer to the decision maker, to replace a not party member and potentially less loyal to the commander

Incompetence should not be rewarded with transfers but met with the sack. Just allowing them to remain with their heads in the trough is no punishment.

You joke how can LOS sack people for incompetence,there would not be anyone left. Sorry no heads in the trough,you wish the impossible.

South Korea did it;- I mean they replaced a corrupt dysfunctional police force with a new far less corrupt functioning force. I believe they retired all police above a certain rank addressed training and career development whilst at the same time coming down very hard indeed on corruption. If there is one single act which Abhisit could do to transform this Country it would be to begin this enormous task. The trouble is he would need sufficient mandate and enough influence to uproot the vested interests who would stand in the way.

South Korea did it;- I mean they replaced a corrupt dysfunctional police force with a new far less corrupt functioning force. I believe they retired all police above a certain rank addressed training and career development whilst at the same time coming down very hard indeed on corruption. If there is one single act which Abhisit could do to transform this Country it would be to begin this enormous task. The trouble is he would need sufficient mandate and enough influence to uproot the vested interests who would stand in the way.

It amazing how South Korea has changed over the past decade. My only wish is for Thailand to be atleast close to a practical police department.

Many of the officers have very low pay and too many avenues to for supplemental income. I don't think Thailand can afford a decent police force.

I think the Royal Police Academy has to be closed and a new recruitment system installed. The academy breeds too much cronyism. I think the Royal Academy in Sampran is like a college where all officers have to graduate from here and only graduate from here unlike other countries where other university graduates can apply, be recruited and trained regardless of school.

The Police in Thailand are too powerful and serve to balance the influence of the military.

Disbanding the Police would allow the military to take over completely and Thailand would end up much like Burma.

One institution, the one they both serve directly, has to be disbanded or have their wings clipped before the Police and military can move into the 21st century and instead serve the government and electorate as in most functioning democracies.

I though the institution they "serve" directly should not be discussed here!

The problem of the police is the corruption not who they serve for.

We are not discussing that institution we are discussing the Royal Thai Police.

You are putting the cart before the horse.

Their corruption cannot be addressed until their job description and mandate is modified and currently they do not serve the general public or act as a force for crime prevention as a proper law enforcement agency should.

What on earth are you babbling on about?

Is there ANY possibility you can put together a post that I can understand?

Similar response to corruption in Hong Kong in the 80's although they were unable to do it from within. Had to appoint the ICAC (Independent Commission Against Corruption) with officers from overseas, mainly UK, to police the police. A long investigation and HK police officers were given the option of stay if you are "clean" , leave within< a period of time, if you think you are soiled. After that we will go after those we think are dirty with max legal force.

Quite a lot of resignations I believe. :o

The way to clean up the LAPD was along the lines of what South Korea did, to some extent. New recruits where placed with other new, that where infused with a high level of anti-corruption training from the academy, to avoid the older (dirty) ones infecting the new ones. One way to break the chain.

Some old relics still work in the force ofcourse, as we see with the two old detectives of the NYPD being arrested some year ago for being long-time hired men for the mob.

But most old-timers and their ways got pushed out.

It amazing how South Korea has changed over the past decade. My only wish is for Thailand to be atleast close to a practical police department.

Many of the officers have very low pay and too many avenues to for supplemental income. I don't think Thailand can afford a decent police force.

I think the Royal Police Academy has to be closed and a new recruitment system installed. The academy breeds too much cronyism. I think the Royal Academy in Sampran is like a college where all officers have to graduate from here and only graduate from here unlike other countries where other university graduates can apply, be recruited and trained regardless of school.

Of course Thailand can afford it.

I would say 50-60 % of the normal police are not necessary.

70-80 of the bosses are not necessary.

To clean that, would allow to pay everyone at least the double to triple.

yes the royal police academy must be closed and for the army similar steps must be taken.

Should Thailand have to suffer the corruption and incompetency of the current police force?

No. But isn't corruption a way of life in Thailand, and starting in elementary school? Some think only the "little people" (and farangs) suffer.

Someone head this conversation:

Police Chief (General) to PM:

Police are not paid well.

PM to Police Chief:

Well you are given a badge and a gun, what more do you want.

Incompetence should not be rewarded with transfers but met with the sack. Just allowing them to remain with their heads in the trough is no punishment.

I agree totally. However, with a mentality of "saving face" i.e. not appearing real, the SYSTEM will never change. So perhaps lies, stealing, cheating, incompetence is allowed because when found out no one need acknowledge them in fear of someone's "face" being ????? lost????? GEEZE - sorry I don't seem able to see the integrity/logic in this form of denial. One deterrent to mis-behavior is loosing the respect of others etc. GEEZE – poor Thailand

Perhaps Thailand could clean up their police forces in the way the US is cleaning up its corrupt banks:

Shower tens billions of dollars on them, allow millions of dollars in 'golden parachutes' to those being shown the exit door, reward incompetent traders/loan officers with job security and praises/raises.

The PM may not have the power to neuter the police force. And if he tries it may not work out to good for him!

To cut of the head of a snake you don't first grab it by the tail! Good advice that!

As I understand it Gen Thanee is considered to be streight and as corruption free as is posible to be in the TH police he has earned the nick name of Gen ruler. He has apparantly in the past issued orders prohibiting corruption in the force, how these orders have been followed is another thing.

I believe he has been put in charge of the prosecution against the yellows, the reds and in finding those who attempted to murder Sondhai.

Could be a good start to a clean up.

As I understand it Gen Thanee is considered to be streight and as corruption free as is posible to be in the TH police he has earned the nick name of Gen ruler. He has apparantly in the past issued orders prohibiting corruption in the force, how these orders have been followed is another thing.

I believe he has been put in charge of the prosecution against the yellows, the reds and in finding those who attempted to murder Sondhai.

Could be a good start to a clean up.

agreed, but first a scapegoat has to be found.... sorry, but Santika comes into my mind.

BTW if I got it right until today the Police was "unable" to locate that lawyer who disappeared years ago...

IMHO its all but blah! blah! blah. Saber rattling

Edited by webfact

26333.jpg

Commander of the Second Police Region Assawin Narongphan

26334.jpg

Chonburi Provincial Police Chief Bandit Khunjak

Police pay for ASEAN fiasco

Two senior police officers have been transferred to inactive posts for failing to prevent red shirt protesters from storming the ASEAN Summit on April 11 in Pattaya.

National Police Chief Patcharawat Wongsuwon yesterday signed an order moving the Commander of the Second Police Region, Assawin Narongphan, and Chonburi's Provincial Police Chief, Bandit Khunjak, to the National Police office in Bangkok.

Police Lt. Gen. Assawin will be replaced by Police Lt. Gen. Suwat Chan-Itthikul, Assistant National Police Chief, while Police Maj. Gen. Bandit will be replaced by Police Maj. Gen. Pramoj Pathumwong, Deputy Commander of the Second Police Region.

Continued here:

http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/local/1535...or-asean-fiasco

26333.jpg

Commander of the Second Police Region Assawin Narongphan

26334.jpg

Chonburi Provincial Police Chief Bandit Khunjak

Police pay for ASEAN fiasco

Two senior police officers have been transferred to inactive posts for failing to prevent red shirt protesters from storming the ASEAN Summit on April 11 in Pattaya.

National Police Chief Patcharawat Wongsuwon yesterday signed an order moving the Commander of the Second Police Region, Assawin Narongphan, and Chonburi's Provincial Police Chief, Bandit Khunjak, to the National Police office in Bangkok.

Police Lt. Gen. Assawin will be replaced by Police Lt. Gen. Suwat Chan-Itthikul, Assistant National Police Chief, while Police Maj. Gen. Bandit will be replaced by Police Maj. Gen. Pramoj Pathumwong, Deputy Commander of the Second Police Region.

Continued here:

http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/local/1535...or-asean-fiasco

I am not a native english speaker but I doubt that "pay" is the right word, if someone does not need to work anymore "inactive post" but still gets the same salary.

A punishment might be to downgrade the rang (spelling) or send them to Yala, for sure there is a need for policemen.