Portrait / Wedding / General Photography

kopiosatu

honestly the people know me or choose my services, always get a lesson on david lachapelle. i like to show his images to people, sharing his art.

i like to show people lionel deluy's portraits, calvin hollywood's editing.

but i will take credit for the hours i put in to each photo, and the time i took to read up on photoshop, experimenting, shooting, experimenting again.

i didn't learn to do all this overnight or in a few weeks with actions and shortcuts.

just because i start showing images here now, doesn't mean i haven't been shooting for some time.

and that is my explanation. :)

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The "style" is clearly not very original, a little bit like the Lomo hype we had some time ago where the "treatment/postprocessing" of the shot becomes more important then the subject, composition, lighting etc.

I do see some interesting pics (mainly the ones of the kids) maybe turn these into a series with similar post processing on each of them ?

What I don't undersatnd is that you want to post them online and then don't want critique.

the kids will get their own series when i get back to petchabun.

i will be discussing with the guy taking care of them when he come back.

i post it online just to share, people can critique, but i don't find a need to respond since everyone has their own preferences.

if i really want people to critique, i would be posting it at the other section.

think about it, why do you critique other people's work? because you prefer it your way.

have you ever wondered if the person who came up the images wanted it his way?

it may be weird or ugly to you, but that person likes it that way.

just because one doesn't like it, doesn't mean someone else feels the same way.

maybe a minority likes the weird and ugly work and the artist feels happy enough just to please them

i don't like to critique other people's photos (unless they ask for it specifically, that is why there is the other sub-forum), because i always tell myself that when someone displays his work, he wants it that way, and i respect his work even if i don't like personally. but if someone asks for critique and improvement, then you provide him with knowledge that you have.

go to an art gallery and one can critique all they want, but the artist isn't going to change for you, right? he still paints what he wants and displays it when he is done.

i quote lionel deluy during an interview "some people say my images are too dark, but those people probably see bright photos all the time. but i don't know, i like my images that way"

and he carries on with what he likes.

i am not trying to sound arrogant, but i will change my style or image when i want to.

my images are more personal to the clients, what you feel as normal or boring isn't the same for the client, since i shoot according to their interests and their lives.

Edited by kopiosatu

i show them at forums i go to.

thai visa forum isn't the only forum i go to

i wonder what is wrong with sharing that it needs a reason?

if you put your photos here, i won't even think about asking why u are doing it.

Edited by kopiosatu

i show them at forums i go to.

thai visa forum isn't the only forum i go to

i wonder what is wrong with sharing that it needs a reason?

if you put your photos here, i won't even think about asking why u are doing it.

In the five years I went to art school I found I learned the most during the critiques, It got so that I thrived on it, even if I wasn't involved. The critical process is the most valuable part of growing as an artist. I found the guys who weren't into the critiques also weren't interested in growth as an artist or they were insecure. The value of the critique is the opportunity to see through someone else's eyes. You don't live or die from their comments, but even the ignorant comments come from some truth, and if you are honest with yourself, there is always room to improve. SOme of the most groundbreaking discoveries for me came from comments of people I couldn't stand. They were harsh with me, and I learned because it wasn't sugar coated.

Forums are about discussion, so why the resistance to discuss or to respond to others opinions.

Your photography is good, and you have developed your photoshop skill set, why not engage the strangers and get even better? How could you lose?

Edited by canuckamuck

when i was still learning, my mentors always told me to listen to others for a start, which i did.

then they said 'ok, u have your own style now, go out and stand by it', which is what i am doing now.

i don't live or die by their comments but i did say that i won't respond to it, it doesn't mean i don't read it.

how would it feel if you knew what you were doing and someone who doesn't have anything to show, comes to tell you that things would be better if it was done his way?

i hope that person would at least show me something so i can take a look then i will decide if it will improve me, or i can decide that its not what i want at all.

it is like driving, suddenly your backseat passenger is trying to teach you to drive or he says that your driving sucks.

can that backseat driver then show me how it should be done? usually that online backseat driver, can't.

"theoretically", he says, "you should press the clutch to change gear" but can the backseat driver show me how? no.

i have experienced this so many times through the years, that is why i really can't be bothered about critique (especially online) anymore

if anyone wants to critique, i rather meet up to chat about it instead of starting senseless flaming and comments that lead no where.

it is easy to change your style when you are still learning but clients already know what i usually give, it is not easy to just change like that.

even if i were to change, i normally make changes according to client requirements

i hope you understand what i mean.

Edited by kopiosatu

when i was still learning, my mentors always told me to listen to others for a start, which i did.

then they said 'ok, u have your own style now, go out and stand by it', which is what i am doing now.

i don't live or die by their comments but i did say that i won't respond to it, it doesn't mean i don't read it.

how would it feel if you knew what you were doing and someone who doesn't have anything to show, comes to tell you that things would be better if it was done his way?

i hope that person would at least show me something so i can take a look then i will decide if it will improve me, or i can decide that its not what i want at all.

it is like driving, suddenly your backseat passenger is trying to teach you to drive or he says that your driving sucks.

can that backseat driver then show me how it should be done? usually that online backseat driver, can't.

"theoretically", he says, "you should press the clutch to change gear" but can the backseat driver show me how? no.

i have experienced this so many times through the years, that is why i really can't be bothered about critique (especially online) anymore

if anyone wants to critique, i rather meet up to chat about it instead of starting senseless flaming and comments that lead no where.

it is easy to change your style when you are still learning but clients already know what i usually give, it is not easy to just change like that.

even if i were to change, i normally make changes according to client requirements

Yes the internet makes the whole thing a bit muddy, but I have learned a lot from unexpected corners. Just because someone can't do what you can doesn't mean they can't look and appreciate. You need to consider the source. There are many times we have to shut off advice from those who haven't got a clue. You need to filter the information and just take the pearls. Also, if someone is kind enough to show they appreciate what you done, You should at least acknowledge their comment. There are enough primadonna's in this world already. By the way learning never ends, your mentors were wrong.

Yes the internet makes the whole thing a bit muddy, but I have learned a lot from unexpected corners. Just because someone can't do what you can doesn't mean they can't look and appreciate. You need to consider the source. There are many times we have to shut off advice from those who haven't got a clue. You need to filter the information and just take the pearls. Also, if someone is kind enough to show they appreciate what you done, You should at least acknowledge their comment. There are enough primadonna's in this world already. By the way learning never ends, your mentors were wrong.

its like religion

everyone has their school of thought

i think of learning as a certain way

you think of learning another way

i don't try to convert you to how i think

i don't know why people are trying to tell me that what i think is wrong, when on my side i think that their side is wrong, yet i don't push it on to them.

one thing that everyone needs to learn is to just respect other people's decisions.

like i said, people can critique, that i cannot stop. i don't see why there should be an issue when i choose not to respond?

i find if meaningless if someone says "nice shot" and i reply with a "thanks"

or someone says something nasty and i have to reply and explain why i did all that.

the simplest answer is "i like it that way" and that means the artist decided it to be that way.

then its up to the people around whether to respect his decision.

look at art galleries, if you don't like the paintings, do you still go?

its as simple as just walking out.

if you like it, stay as long as you want.

Ignore the narrow minded hacks.

Totally agree - very interesting stuff. It's all about style and individualism and you've certainly got that.

Love to see more

oh please, its not that interesting at all, if you translate most of the portraits, especially the wedding ones, to their original image, the pictures are crappy and boring its the fascination in computer manipulation that interests you. i do not see this as photography, its computer art, like using a synthesizer to create classical music!

Well as a non shutter bug but lover of good images.. I think they are very interesting..

Then again I like pop art, bright, wild images..