Homebrew Beer

denysza

Hallo there,

I am planing to make my own beer here in Thailand (i ordered the ingredients from this site, it is really good www.homebrew.com.sg)

I have been scouring the web looking for a place that sells the grain (malt), as the grain is the heavy bit and you pay per kg to get the stuff from singapore, so it will be better if i can get hold of it here. Do any of you know where I can get hold of it.

later

Is it legal here :o

that question has been discussed at length in other threads. i think the basic answer is no so don't tell anyone what you are doing and don't try sell it.

you will need to ferment in a temperature controlled environment since Thailand is usually too warm. i suggest one of those big red cool boxes and add some ice every day and monitor the temp.

pls let us know how you get on.

steve

P.S. if i was to brew beer :D i'd use dry kits like this:

http://www.hopshopuk.com/products/view/32/...ice/best-bitter

and have someone mail them from the UK (cost about 8GBP per pack)

Edited by stevehaigh

You can get yeasts that will work at higher temperatures but the beer's not as good.

The issue here is getting the malt, it's heavy to post and I've never heard of anyone finding it at a reasonable price in Thailand.

I discussed trying to malt rice once.... could be an interesting flavor? :o

Right, so I brewed the beer and all went well!!! The beer is fermenting as I type this. I made a lager so the fermenting temp had to be really low. My father in law, who also lives here, had a peltier cooler he didn't use any more so I made a enclosure with some polystyrene foam and it keeps the temp at a constant 15 deg C.

I ordered all my ingredients from a homebrew store in Singapore (www.homebrew.co.sg), I had to go and collect the parcel at the customs office in Leam Chabang and had to pay tax on it (1300 baht) the biggest problem was the grain. The customs officer said he needed a certificate of origin and an import permit.

But because it was only 5kg he helped me out and let me have it (thank god). He asked me what I planned on doing with all the stuff as the hops, yeast and grain was all packed together. I told hom that I ws going to make beer. He then proceded to ask me if I was going to sell it, I told him no and with this small amount of grain and hops I was only going to brew 20 lt of beer. His response was "..... you wont have any trouble as long as you dont sell it". This lead to a discussion of the legality of home brewing of beer, wine and distilling. It comes down to that you are allowed to brew beer and wine for personal use and only in small quatities and not to sell it. Distilling however is illegal.

I took a chance and emailed the singa corporation and a farmers co-op to see if they cant help me. As far as costs go this has been a pretty expensive story:

Order from Singapore = 3,200 baht

Tax at customs = 1,300 baht

total = 4,300 baht (For 20 lt of beer, this better be dam_n good.)

I'll let you know what comes form the emails I sent.

Later

Hi there,

Just an update on the whole grain availability in Thailand. I have resent my previous emails as they did not even repond to the first ones. This time I sent it to the heads of departments and not the general inquiries of the companies.

Lets see what comes from it

Later

Hi there,

So my primary fermentation is done now and I am getting ready to get the beer over to the 2nd fermentation. The OG before fermentation was 1.063 and the FG is 1.013 that gives me a alc% of 7.3!!!!! which is not bad for a first go. I managed to get hold of an Cornelius keg here in Thailand as well as food grade CO2 so that I can run a beer tap out of a fridge. The brew will be bottled/kegged in a week. It will be ready to drink in about 3 or 4 weeks from now.

I have not heard anything from the emails I sent to the brewing companies but I made a connection with a importer that will be able to import the grain for me but only in large amounts. So if any of you are interested in brewing and need grain PM me so that I can see if we can get enough together to make it worth the importers while. Hops and yeast is not a problem to import from Singapore.

later

Thanks for the tip. It seems that they are just bitching about the bar and what not but never-the-less, I asked if some one could help me out.

Later

My understanding is that the Chiang Mai German Brewey brews it's own beer, so they should be able to tell you where to buy the grains :)

I dont know how the postage worked homebrew singapore mailed the goods with singpost and I got a EMS receipt that said I must collect my goods from Customs at laem chabang. I live in pattaya for now. Moving to phuket at the end of the month. Do you know what postage Ibrew uses?

I am trying to get the contact details for Chiang Mai German Brewey. I let you know how that goes.

later

You can get yeasts that will work at higher temperatures but the beer's not as good.

The issue here is getting the malt, it's heavy to post and I've never heard of anyone finding it at a reasonable price in Thailand.

I discussed trying to malt rice once.... could be an interesting flavor? :)

As per my earlier, malt can be bought at http://www.nutritionsc.co.th/

in Bkk in 25 Kg bags and at a reasonable price

• 2 months later...

Hey guys,

I've taken an interest in starting to brew my own beer as well, but I have no brewing kit! I followed the link to the Singapore website and they have one for sale there at roughly 3800 baht. Is it safe to have that imported or are there places in Thailand where you can buy these kits locally? It comes with beginners instructions, a thermometer and pretty much all the knick knack required for the first batch, including the ingredients. Will I be paying massive amounts of tax for having this imported?

Cheers!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Howdy,

I was wondering if glass carboys are common in Thailand, or are you usings something differant for a 2nd fermenter?

*j*

I have no idea about whats available in Thailand but back home I have used plastic carboys before. The glass is ideal but there really is very little difference. And shipping a plastic carboy should be a lot cheaper due to the weight.