Getting A 30-day Pass

Hello--

I have a Non-B Visa that is about to expire. However, I have obligations here beyond the date of expiration of my visa (it's a long story....). I was planning on leaving the country next weekend and returning with a 30-day stamp, which I know is possible with a US passport. HOWEVER, my Non-B visa does not expire until the day AFTER I would be returning from my weekend trip. Does anyone know if it is possible to still get a 30-day pass if there is still one day left on my Non-B visa?

Also, just out of curiosity.....does anyone know what the exact limit is of 30 day passes that they will issue at the airport? I have heard that it is three, but I am not completely certain.....

Thanks!

Edited by Crimson

If you have a multi entry non immigrant B visa why not use it? If you had a single entry non immigrant B visa you already used it when you entered Thailand so you do not have a valid visa.

There is no limit to the number of times you can use visa or visa exempt entry.

If you have a multi entry non immigrant B visa why not use it? If you had a single entry non immigrant B visa you already used it when you entered Thailand so you do not have a valid visa.

There is no limit to the number of times you can use visa or visa exempt entry.

I'm sorry, I don't think I've been clear: I had a MULTIPLE ENTRY Non-B visa that is expiring, and I was unable to get an extension (that is another long story....), so when I leave, my stay will not have expired, as I have left the country several times throughout the duration of this visa. I'm just wondering if I can get the 30 day pass if I still have one day left on my Non-B visa.

If it's a multiple entry you will get another 90 day entry if you enter before it expires.

No need to worry about the 30 day entry.

My re-entry permit AND my visa both expire on the 28th of this month, so I would actually not be getting another 90 day entry. The visa itself expires, as I was not able to get an extension beyond the 90 days, so I would need to re-enter the country on a 30 day pass. I am just wondering if they will grant me a 30 day pass if I still have one day left on my 90 day visa (provided I show proof of an onward ticket, which I have)

You want to use the 30 day emtry it's not a problem.

I am not sure what kind of visa you have.

The experation date of your visa does not matter after you enter the country. If you enter before the use by date you will still get 90 days. Or has your visa expired and you are talking about your permit to stay expiring that you have a re-entry permit for.

I am confused. Crimson what exactly do you have now.

I'm sorry.....my visa situation is quite confusing!! I'm still a little confused by it, but here goes:

You may remember me from a previous topic wherein I was the COMPLETE IDIOT who left the country without getting a re-entry permit. At that time, I had a one year extension of my Non-B visa, which was canceled as soon as I left the country. I was able to get a new Non-B visa (for 90 days), as well as a multiple entry re-entry permit, but I was unable to get another extension on this new visa (long story....), so my visa and my re-entry permit BOTH expire FOR GOOD on April 28th. My question is this: if I want to get a 30 day pass on the 27th of April, will they grant me that at the airport, even if my visa and re-entry permit expire on the 28th? I do have an onward flight that departs within the 30 days.....I just want to make sure that they don't only allow me to stay in the country for only one day as per my visa/re-entry permit, 'cause that would just be no good......

I'm sorry.....my visa situation is quite confusing!! I'm still a little confused by it, but here goes:

You may remember me from a previous topic wherein I was the COMPLETE IDIOT who left the country without getting a re-entry permit. At that time, I had a one year extension of my Non-B visa, which was canceled as soon as I left the country. I was able to get a new Non-B visa (for 90 days), as well as a multiple entry re-entry permit, but I was unable to get another extension on this new visa (long story....), so my visa and my re-entry permit BOTH expire FOR GOOD on April 28th. My question is this: if I want to get a 30 day pass on the 27th of April, will they grant me that at the airport, even if my visa and re-entry permit expire on the 28th? I do have an onward flight that departs within the 30 days.....I just want to make sure that they don't only allow me to stay in the country for only one day as per my visa/re-entry permit, 'cause that would just be no good......

Yes they will. Make sure they do not give you 1 day. Check your passport before leaving the Immigration checkpoint.

Yes they will. Make sure they do not give you 1 day. Check your passport before leaving the Immigration checkpoint.

I'm sorry (again)....by "yes they will," do you mean that they will give me a 30 day pass? Or that they will only allow me to stay for one day??

A friend of mine just told me that if you don't write in your visa number on the arrival card (and you just mark "tourist") that they will give you a 30 day pass automatically and cancel out whatever visa you may have had prior. Does this seem correct?

Leave the visa number space blank on your arrival card. I don't think immigration would ever give you just one day without asking.

As said be sure you check your permit to stay stamp before you leave the arrival area.

I think you are confused between "permission to enter" (which is what a visa confers) and "permission to stay" (which is the date by which you must depart). The "Valid Until" date on your visa indicates the end of your "permission to enter". For a Non-Immigrant visa, your initial "permission to stay" is for 90 days from your date of entry and is not limited by the "Valid Until" date.

If you have a multiple-entry Non-Immigrant "B" visa with a "Valid Until" date of April 28th, then you can enter the country on April 27th and receive permission to stay for a further 90 days. You don't need proof of onward travel. The re-entry permit is irrelevant - while you needed one when you were on a one year extension of stay, you didn't need one with your current Non-Immigrant "B" as by it's very nature a multi-entry Non-Immigrant visa permits unlimited departures and re-entries during its validity period.

Sorry - my bad. I mis-read the OPs last post. You don't have a multi-entry Non-Immigrant "B", you have a single entry Non-Immigrant "B" with a multiple entry re-entry permit. Lite Beer and Ubonjoe are correct as always: your single entry Non-Immigrant "B" is no longer a valid "permission to enter" (as you've used the single entry already) and the re-entry permit is simply keeping alive your last 90-day "permission to stay". Which expires on April 28th. Leave the "visa number" space on the entry form blank and point out to the immigration officer that you want a 30-day visa exempt entry.