Chiang Mai Cock Fighting

BOOKEMDANO

Curosity has got the better of me, and as cruel as many may believe it is "and your right" it is cruel. The images i have seen on T.V are quite disturbing but there is a great atmosphere amongest the locals and this would make for me, a fasinating experience to witness.

I am still curious to see my first Cock fight here in Chiang mai, or indeed those stag horn beetles where i once saw a documentary on NAT GEO. They spend months training these beetles for fights and i'm sure this would be a "unique" experience.

Anybody here in Chiang mai heard of such places ?

The beetle fighting happens around Sept when they are a plenty and horny to mate. They get the males to jostle for a female's attention by putting her in a little dugout on a piece of sugar cane. There used to be a big gathering place for this on Tung Hotel Rd., but new construction has flattened the area. Everybody must've moved. Last gathering I saw in that area was 2006.

Cock fighting friends gather along the end of the railroad tracks and the road that parallels it on Thurs or Fri's - though I'm not exactly sure of the days. They set up a flea mkt and amulet mkt 99% frequented by locals, and you can see a few of them bring their cocks along with them for some matches. Even this may vary as to time of day so you'll likely have to go do some surveying to find out when is best time to show up.

Have fun n let us know what you find out.

The beetle fighting happens around Sept when they are a plenty and horny to mate. They get the males to jostle for a female's attention by putting her in a little dugout on a piece of sugar cane. There used to be a big gathering place for this on Tung Hotel Rd., but new construction has flattened the area. Everybody must've moved. Last gathering I saw in that area was 2006.

Cock fighting friends gather along the end of the railroad tracks and the road that parallels it on Thurs or Fri's - though I'm not exactly sure of the days. They set up a flea mkt and amulet mkt 99% frequented by locals, and you can see a few of them bring their cocks along with them for some matches. Even this may vary as to time of day so you'll likely have to go do some surveying to find out when is best time to show up.

Have fun n let us know what you find out.

Cheers for the very helpful advice B.A :o I'll be sure to let you know how my search turns out.

By "end of the railroad" would this be close to the train station and the road that has a motorbike shop on the corner ?

There is a cluster of buildings used for cockfighting out the back of the SanSai Council building (tessabaan). We we there using the playground and heard all the noise and walked down the track to see what was happening. No idea what night/nights it happens on (and can't remember what day we were there). We quickly backtracked.

Yechhhh. Great atmosphere? yep just like in the Coliseum - only more intimate :o

There is a cluster of buildings used for cockfighting out the back of the SanSai Council building (tessabaan). We we there using the playground and heard all the noise and walked down the track to see what was happening. No idea what night/nights it happens on (and can't remember what day we were there). We quickly backtracked.

Yechhhh. Great atmosphere? yep just like in the Coliseum - only more intimate :D

Thanks for the tip :D

I remember the first bull fight in Spain that i attended, and the huge crowds that gathered there on the weekends. All my moral's were telling me that this is wrong and should be banned. However after watching this age old contest between bull and Matador for several minutes, i was impressed and captivated. The bull dies a painful death "yes" but then gets taken to the local butchers and feeds many.

If you think about the many "blood sports" there are in the world "Boxing" and "fox hunting" for example And the thrill of watching two opponents beating the S### out of each other, while the crowd roars with delight, cheering their fighter on. Or indeed the much debated fox hunting, and the thrill of the chase those riders get when the foxhounds give chase and the riders closley follow. These sports all bring with them a moral aspect but.

With regards to "cock fighting" personally, having never witnessed an actual fight between two cocks i dont know what the outcome will be for the birds. Fight to the death, and if so what happens after ? But just like a boxing match on a saturday night where millions can watch two human beings fighting each other "with sometimes fatal consequences" creates a huge atmosphere around the world. Here i'm talking about two chickens that billions of people eat on a daily basis and whom many are sublimley content on not batting an eye lid that these animals and many like them pass through abattoirs.

If i were a rooster "nearly said cock" :o and had a choice, i would rather die fighting in a ring than get it in an abattoir.

> If you think about the many "blood sports" there are in the world "Boxing" and "fox hunting"

> for example And the thrill of watching two opponents beating the S### out of each other, while

> the crowd roars with delight, cheering their fighter on.

Though arguably the fighters are there by choice, the bull most likely would prefer to be some place else. :o You're right about the fox hunt of course, but that's equally controversial.

For cock fights though I'm not sure it's on a similar level of controversy.. You just put two cocks together and let them do what cocks do. (Obviously when you start putting blades on their feet then that's not okay.. Though I haven't seen this in Thailand so far). Usually what happens is that one cock is the obvious winner (other trying to run away) and at that point the fight is stopped.

> If you think about the many "blood sports" there are in the world "Boxing" and "fox hunting"

> for example And the thrill of watching two opponents beating the S### out of each other, while

Though arguably the fighters are there by choice, the bull most likely would prefer to be some place else. :o You're right about the fox hunt of course, but that's equally controversial.

For cock fights though I'm not sure it's on a similar level of controversy.. You just put two cocks together and let them do what cocks do. (Obviously when you start putting blades on their feet then that's not okay.. Though I haven't seen this in Thailand so far). Usually what happens is that one cock is the obvious winner (other trying to run away) and at that point the fight is stopped.

Cock fighting is illegal in Thailand

Though arguably the fighters are there by choice, the bull most likely would prefer to be some place else. :D You're right about the fox hunt of course, but that's equally controversial.

Along with a whole long list of other recreational activites that takes place in the kingdom "but goes on regardless" This just makes my curosity even more "curious" now.

Just my luck, i can see it now :o

BANGKOK POST

"POLICE RAID ON AN ILLEGAL COCK FIGHTING OUTFIT" POLICE DEPORTS FARANG FROM LOS DUE TO SUSPECTED GAMBLING AND RAKETEERING, NO THAI WAS ABLE FOR COMMENT AS THEY ALL SCARPERED, LEAVING HIM THE ONLY SUSPECT ALONG WITH ONE BADLY INJURED COCK

Isn't it mostly related to the betting which is illegal? (Arguably there is no such thing as cockfighting without betting so that may make the argument moot.)

Isn't it mostly related to the betting which is illegal? (Arguably there is no such thing as cockfighting without betting so that may make the argument moot.)

Prostitution is illegal, gambling (other than on the gee-gees) is illegal, riding a motor cycle without a helmet is illegal, using a cell phone whilst driving is illegal, but who really gives a shyt :D

Edited by john b good

Ajarn does, obviously. And to a degree I do too, especially the ones that potentially cause harm to others, such as using the phone in the car. When it comes to illegal things that don't harm the people involved then indeed I go by my own morals. (Yes I do have some :o )

Ajarn does, obviously. And to a degree I do too, especially the ones that potentially cause harm to others, such as using the phone in the car. When it comes to illegal things that don't harm the people involved then indeed I go by my own morals. (Yes I do have some :o )

Never doubted it (that you do have some) :D