Thai Lottery

Titus

Could someone please explain how to play the thai lottery? Why are most tickets sold in pairs (of the same number)? Wouldn't people have more chances of winning by playing different numbers?

What are those two digits tickets? I guess they are the last two numbers, but why so many boxes to fill? Help me out here, I want to get rich quick :o!

First prize number is 3 million baht per ticket so that is 6 million with a normal pair. There are a number of series with all the numbers so there is not just one first prize each drawing. Two and three digit wins are not much at all unless you are one of those who buy every ticket they can find with your lucky numbers and it happens to hit.

Get rich quick? Not much chance of that but not a bad diversion every couple of weeks.

First prize number is 3 million baht per ticket so that is 6 million with a normal pair.  There are a number of series with all the numbers so there is not just one first prize each drawing.  Two and three digit wins are not much at all unless you are one of those who buy every ticket they can find with your lucky numbers and it happens to hit.

Get rich quick?  Not much chance of that but not a bad diversion every couple of weeks.

There are different ways of laying this game . It is the illegal playing type , can be fun and quite harmless unless you win a lot of money or win several times in a row . Only requires 3 numbers , example 123 and then you put a certain amount of money in it . If you play for let's say 500 bath , you can win upto ??? bath , if in the normal lottery the numbers come out in the same configuration , so 123 . If 213 , or 312 or other combi's come out , you also win money , but less . Don't know exactly how many you can win ( the amount you put in * XXX ) , but can add up in the millions if you bet enough money on it .

First prize number is 3 million baht per ticket so that is 6 million with a normal pair.  There are a number of series with all the numbers so there is not just one first prize each drawing.  Two and three digit wins are not much at all unless you are one of those who buy every ticket they can find with your lucky numbers and it happens to hit.

Get rich quick?  Not much chance of that but not a bad diversion every couple of weeks.

There are different ways of laying this game . It is the illegal playing type , can be fun and quite harmless unless you win a lot of money or win several times in a row . Only requires 3 numbers , example 123 and then you put a certain amount of money in it . If you play for let's say 500 bath , you can win upto ??? bath , if in the normal lottery the numbers come out in the same configuration , so 123 . If 213 , or 312 or other combi's come out , you also win money , but less . Don't know exactly how many you can win ( the amount you put in * XXX ) , but can add up in the millions if you bet enough money on it .

Brought my first tickets in 12 years last trip.....won 2000 baht for 2 numbers.

I always used to enjoy the goings on in Buriram a few years ago with the "black lottery".

It took me ages to work out why the family were religiously glued to the finance programmes on telly at particular times of the day.

Basically, they were betting on the last two digits of the closing price of the last stock to be shown.

Bearing in mind that each night they'd disappear into the jungle and scrape the bark off a sacred tree to wait for the numbers to be shown there, they didn't do badly, regularly winning 10,000-14,000 Baht.

That's why the government brought in the 2/3 digit winners on the national lottery. Doubt it's got rid of the underground ones though.

As to why they are sold in pairs it is probably because most customers are only interested in the last two numbers and want more than one so it makes for a quick and easy sale that way.

They sell the full numbers in pairs, or 'Kuu'. You ask for 'kuu bai neung', if you want one.

They used to be only one number on the ticket. This changed a few years ago when most people were buying more than one ticket. I bought 6 tickets once with the last two numbers coming in - 6000 baht minus tax. there is a jackpot of 3 million for a particular number. Many people win on the last two numbers. You can win on the last three numbers, but not from the main number. There are 4, 3 digit nubmers on the results winning 2,ooo baht. There are also many other numbers winning from 10,000 to 50,000 baht.

The underground lottery, usually ran by police/mafia, stopped a year or so ago.

Now you can buy those little tickets. 20 baht green -50 baht blue 100 baht red.

You can go for "khang bon" or "khang lang" - Up or Down, for the last 2 numbers.

Up is the last two digits on the main winning number.

Down is the 2 numbers shown on the result sheet.

I go for 3 numbers - tell them '123' dtrong. For 100 baht you will win 50,000 baht.

You can also go for 'thot' any permutation of the 3 digits, eg 231, or 321.

If you go for this, don't go for a number with two or three same numbers, obviously, 111, would be better 'dtrong'. Thot wins 10,000 baht for 100 stake.

For example, I say 314 dtrong, roi neung. Then I get a little red ticket that has never won yet :D

Or, 14 khang bon, yee sib.

Or, 123 thot, ha sib.

or 12 khang lang

It is easy, sorry if if sounds complicated.

Who says you can't get rich?

Buy a pack of 5 tickets for around 500 baht, if you win you get 30,000,000 baht!

Alternatively buy 10 red 100 baht small tickets 'dtrong'(straight) and win 5 million.

Ok maybe that is not a lot to us rich expats :o

The tickets cost from 80 baht. They sell to some farang for 100 baht.

It is great fun watching the locals talk about how they get the numbers.

I preferred the underground one, better odds.

My favourite are the tree, already mentioned by someone, and off course the dreams!

Edited by Neeranam

gee thanx, i could never understand why i had to give 'numbers' to my workers, then they call their wives..... i knew it was a lottery type thing but never understood.... but whats with the thai calendar with little tiny red numbers written in each date??? couldnt grasp the explanation.....