Another Home Buglary Story.. Nai Harn.

MisterMan

2 of my friends live next to each other on one of the newer streets in Nai Harn off Sai Yuan... not far from the mosque.

At 2 am my friend noticed a flashlight reflection. Her husband woke up and started screaming as there was a guy in the living room. My friend called her neighbour who woke up and ran out and saw 2 guys running away..

The husband grabbed a Machete and ran out side but the two thieves jumped on a motorbike and drove away.

I am not sure exactly how they got in .. but they were in the living room and already has gathered the laptop, wallet etc. They dropped it all when confronted.

My friends called the police who asked them if they caught the guys and they said no and the police never came. (no I would not expect different).

The next day (today) the neighbours found that their gate was open and a strange flip flop inside their yard and the matching one outside the gate.

None of this is surprising. The neighbours have a golden retriever and the other house they don't have a dog. It is a dark street. Yeah yeah yeah.. surprised it didn't happen sooner..

Just thought I would post it so no one gets to complacent!

Edited by MisterMan

Yes what did you expect this is Thailand. Your lucky they didn't have a gun! Dogs can be really helpful, you know all those dogs around Rawai with no home they can be every grateful and protective for a few baht a month and then there is no need to chase people with a Machete ( if you had caught him then what would you have done chopped him and if you had done that what do you think his family or friends might have done to you).

Edited by capt_canada42

Yes what did you expect this is Thailand. Your lucky they didn't have a gun! Dogs can be really helpful, you know all those dogs around Rawai with no home they can be every grateful and protective for a few baht a month and then there is no need to chase people with a Machete ( if you had caught him then what would you have done chopped him and if you had done that what do you think his family or friends might have done to you).

Agree entirely.

There have been an awful lot of burglaries in the Sai Yuan area over the last few years, not to mention the motorbike muggings.

A Thai dog is v protective of its family - they're so happy to have a home where they're loved.

I live in a v isolated area but feel completely safe as my Thai dog (adopted from Soi Dogs) barks on the (v rare) occasion anyone comes near my house at night. Unlike the dog I brought with me from the UK who snores through everything!

No need to confront a burglar - they know there's no way they can get quietly into my house! (And no, she's not not a 'barky' dog otherwise)

What would the family and friends do???....and who gives a flying f*8k at a rolling doughnut...the guy was in his house stealing his belongings....

YEs a dog is a good idea but not if you are not planing on staying. They don't plan on staying. I did mention that I think PAWS has some kind of foster home program to get a better idea of the temperament of a dog. HOwever taking in a soi dog and then leaving him is not the most humane solution.. but this is all another story..

I was merely posting as I think it is important to post these things. I want to know what is going on in my neighborhood.

After they broke in into my house ( I have two dogs but sometimes to lazy to respond or they don’t hear it as my land is big ) I installed an closed circuit camera system and an state of the art alarm system. If that doesn’t helps I have an .38 SW as an backup complete with license.

BTW the guys who broke into my where caught by police within 7 days I reported it to the police station.

About a year & a half ago I came home just after dark & noticed the front curtains were shut which seemed strange to me. My laptop was gone, a watch, clothes in my wardrobe were tossed out & a box with some small change was now empty but the portable HDD which was right next to the laptop was still there (thank goodness) even though I had not made a backup for several weeks it still had all the important info for my business & so did not tkae too much time to catch up.

It was obvious the burglar knew exactly when I would be out & how long I would be away. Chalong police station is just down the road so I went there to report it & two policemen arrived at my home shortly thereafter to get all the details. Investigative work was practically non existant although one of them walked around the house & could not find any eveidence of break in. The next morning I figured out which window the burglar had used & on the ground outside was screwdriver which must have been used to jemmy the window. I picked it up with a plastic bag & took it to the police station only to be told they could not do anything as the investigating officer was away & would return the following week. After he returned he informed me there would be no fingerprints considering the screwdriver was outside all night.

Although I appreciated the quickness of their response the follow up, based upon their method of operating, was disappointing.

A month or two after this the guy next to us reported an intruder in the yard alongside our house & apparently the police came quite quickly but the intruder had disappeared. I say apparently because my wife & I slept through it & told about it the next day.

I don't have a dog at the house in Chalong but my previous home in Kathu has one & is a very effective deterrant. Any Thai people approaching the gate are very wary of him.

Dogs are great as alarms but can be poisoned. Alarms are good but only let you know when someone has already gotten inside. Cameras are good so you can see where the intruders are. Even with all three, what are you going to do then? What have you prepared to keep your family safe?

Running with a machete after someone who is probably high on yaa-baa can quickly turn into a tragedy. The .38 S&W? I doubt that 99% of the people reading this forum could shoot someone. It's not as easy as you think. So then the criminal takes the gun and turns it on you and your family. Are you really willing to take that risk so you can save your big screen TV?

Dogs are great as alarms but can be poisoned. Alarms are good but only let you know when someone has already gotten inside. Cameras are good so you can see where the intruders are. Even with all three, what are you going to do then? What have you prepared to keep your family safe?

Running with a machete after someone who is probably high on yaa-baa can quickly turn into a tragedy. The .38 S&W? I doubt that 99% of the people reading this forum could shoot someone. It's not as easy as you think. So then the criminal takes the gun and turns it on you and your family. Are you really willing to take that risk so you can save your big screen TV?

Your points are valid, however if you have a .38 S&W revolver then I would presume that you would know how to use it ! maybe 99% of the people in this forum could not shoot someone, but 99% of the owners of the .38 would certainly be able to. :o

So...what is your recomendation???

All you points are correct and i can say nothing about that.

But most of the intruders are simple souls as we say. :o

If they see an house with dogs, alarm or camares most of the times they will pass and go to the next house where no things are installed.

if " professional " criminals would like to come into your house nothing will stop them.

So I think that preventing ( lets say ) 90 % of the problems is an big step forward.

The kid which broke into my house was only about 14 years old and would not have done it ig I had installed the alarm etc earlier.

And yes, I and my wife know how to use the gun and will use it if really necessary. :D

Your points are valid, however if you have a .38 S&W revolver then I would presume that you would know how to use it ! maybe 99% of the people in this forum could not shoot someone, but 99% of the owners of the .38 would certainly be able to. :o

I think that he means that most people would not be able to pull the trigger because it is difficult to kill someone which I would agree with if the person meant you no harm.

However, I think that I would be so angry that some scumbag had broken into my house when it was occupied and endangered me and my family that it would be relatively easy to do what needed to be done. :D

I agree having a S&W .38 or any other gun around the house is very macho, but that is just one more thing for the thief to steal.

Have read stories where the occupants have slept soundly through being burgled and a gun would be to irresistible. So the gun is kept locked up but then it's not within easy quick reach when you wake up to find a thief in your bedroom.

Getting a gun license is not so easy and if you have an unlicensed one you could be facing years in jail.

:o

Getting a gun license is not so easy and if you have an unlicensed one you could be facing years in jail.

I doubt a foreigner could obtain a gun permit in Thailand ??

I dont believe they can.. But their wives and GF's can fairly easily..

That's true. But if the gun was discharged by someone other the permit holder, and it could be proved to the police.... ??? I suspect jail time... :D

Once it comes to break ins it seems the police are firmly on the side of the house holder.. Like the Patong guy who threw a burglar off his (high) balcony.. and then had the chief of police commend him for his actions.

A friend who got a gun legalised via this method was actually told, by the policeman, when the permit was issued, "OK now this means you legally have one gun, but get a second unregistered one, and if you ever need to shoot someone just make sure you finish him and put the unregged one by the body" :o !!! Thats the advice from the police !!

A friend who got a gun legalised via this method was actually told, by the policeman, when the permit was issued, "OK now this means you legally have one gun, but get a second unregistered one, and if you ever need to shoot someone just make sure you finish him and put the unregged one by the body" :o !!! Thats the advice from the police !!

LOS, I don't doubt you. We have an ongoing civil action, and when I initially filed a police report at Chalong police station, the old desk officer slid his gun across the table and said 'this is how we handle problems in Thailand'. He was 'deadly' serious. After almost 6 years in court, I see the wisdom of his advice... :D

A friend who got a gun legalised via this method was actually told, by the policeman, when the permit was issued, "OK now this means you legally have one gun, but get a second unregistered one, and if you ever need to shoot someone just make sure you finish him and put the unregged one by the body" :D !!! Thats the advice from the police !!

LOS, I don't doubt you. We have an ongoing civil action, and when I initially filed a police report at Chalong police station, the old desk officer slid his gun across the table and said 'this is how we handle problems in Thailand'. He was 'deadly' serious. After almost 6 years in court, I see the wisdom of his advice... :D

Sounds a bit like Wyatt Earp to me :o

That's true. But if the gun was discharged by someone other the permit holder, and it could be proved to the police.... ??? I suspect jail time... :D

Once it comes to break ins it seems the police are firmly on the side of the house holder.. Like the Patong guy who threw a burglar off his (high) balcony.. and then had the chief of police commend him for his actions.

A friend who got a gun legalised via this method was actually told, by the policeman, when the permit was issued, "OK now this means you legally have one gun, but get a second unregistered one, and if you ever need to shoot someone just make sure you finish him and put the unregged one by the body" :D !!! Thats the advice from the police !!

I got excatly the same advise from the police where i registered my gun. :o

I think that he means that most people would not be able to pull the trigger because it is difficult to kill someone which I would agree with if the person meant you no harm. However, I think that I would be so angry that some scumbag had broken into my house when it was occupied and endangered me and my family that it would be relatively easy to do what needed to be done.

Your points are valid, however if you have a .38 S&W revolver then I would presume that you would know how to use it ! maybe 99% of the people in this forum could not shoot someone, but 99% of the owners of the .38 would certainly be able to

That is exactly what I meant. People like to think themselves "tough enough" to kill someone who has broken into their house, but unless the intruders are actually attacking someone, even gun owners who can shoot will hesitate to do so. And that's all the time it takes for the gun to be taken away and turned on the homeowner.

Let me ask all the gun owners on this forum: Have you ever shot anyone? Have you ever seen the damage a bullet can do to a human being up close? Have you ever watched someone die from a gunshot wound? Do you really think it is easy to kill another human being? I would bet that 99% of gun owners would never pull the trigger unless the perpetrator was coming at them or someone they loved. It is better to be somewhere safe than to think you are Dirty Harry and get killed.

So...what is your recommendation???

The only way to prevent home invasions is an integrated security program with multiple layers combining elements of deterrence, prevention, containment and protection. Having systems in place which alert you to the intruders as soon as they cross your external perimeter and giving them a series of barriers allow you and your family the time to get to a prepared safe place in the house. That place can be any room which has been hardened to prevent forced entry to keep you unharmed while the criminals take what they want.

People have to stop thinking "It will never happen to me" and be prepared in case it does. As Sun Tzu said, "Do not depend on the enemy not coming,

but depend on your readiness against him."

Can I ask if it is your pistol or your Thai, partners.

We are both fully licensed for the gun.

Only i'm not allowed to carry it with me together with the bullets, My wife can.

We are no macho's or rambo's but normally people and er er are also member of a shooting club were we practise every few months.

I have experience with shooting ( and see people getting killed ) from when i was in the army and my wife were teached how to shoot and get comfortable with it from her parrents when she was young.

I don't think that i would use the gun when somebody would break into my house unless it was really nessecary but it gives a safer feeling to have it in hand and for my wife for when she is alone in the house during my business trips.

Your a farang on a regular non imm visa ?? Not PR or anything ??

I was lead to believe that a home storage gun permit was impossible for a farang on those grounds.

Maybe that got lost in translation between being told to 'just put in GF name'.

Your a farang on a regular non imm visa ?? Not PR or anything ??

I was lead to believe that a home storage gun permit was impossible for a farang on those grounds.

Maybe that got lost in translation between being told to 'just put in GF name'.

In normal cases you would be correct.

Normally Thai get an license from the city hall but we have our license via and on advise of the police commissioner.

The police has the authority to advice for license and go direct to the mayor ( and bypass the city hall completely ) if they think it is necessary. ( also for farangs in special cases)